PDA

View Full Version : What about Coral Reef?

Jen66
05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
My DS loves aquariums, so I think he would like Coral Reef. I have read mixed reviews though. Any of you been there recently? Thanks!

Seasonscraps
05-20-2007, 07:11 PM
We were there in December. After reading mediocre reviews here I found it to be an enjoyable meal. The food was really good and the service was attentive. The only thing I didnt like was a very long wait for a table -- it was 45-60 minutes past our ADR time before we were seated.

The aquarium was great to look at throughout dinner. There was even a gentleman that arranged for one of the divers to hold up a "Will You Marry?" me sign for his gf. :D

Laura670
05-20-2007, 07:16 PM
We were there in January. I was a little nervous after reading some of the comments about the Coral Reef but we waited less than 10 minutes to be seated and we all really enjoyed our meals. I would definetly go there again:mickey:

TiggerRPh
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
We've never had a bad meal there....it's a bit pricey but the food is good and decent service.

Sharon1026
05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I was there last weekend (is that recent enough for you?? ;) )

The restaurant has tiered seating, so everyone can see the floor to ceiling tank. Of course, sitting right next to it is great.

The food is good there, but the portions are quite small and rather expensive. For example, I ordered a "surf and turf salad" that cost $10. It consisted of 2 small shrimp sitting on 2 tbsp of cucumber peels and 1 oz of beef with bbq sauce on 2 tbsp of polenta. Yes, it was tasty, but certainly not worth $10. My husband ordered the lobster chowder that was pretty much all chowder and no lobster. He said it was tasty, but he was disappointed at the lack of seafood. It was $7. Just to give you an idea. I'm not saying this is good or bad, I just want you to be aware that is pricey - even for Disney.

The staff was attentive and very nice.

If you are doing the Disney Dining Plan, then I would definitely say Yes to Coral Reef. If you a "paying out of pocket" then just be prepared for a more expensive meal.

It was a fun experience and we are going back to Disney for a week in June. Coral Reef is one of my dinner reservations on the DDP.

Hope I didn't sound negative, I just wanted to give you my experience!

The kids that were there seemed like they were having a great time.

Efrank
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
We were there last Tuesday and all 4 of the adults in our party said that it was their favorite meal, and we also ate at CG. We checked in about 10 minutes before our adr and were seated within 10 minutes. However, our adrs were at 4:20 so that may be why. Our server was excellent! We had an upset toddler and he did everything he could for us. When my husband was outside with him for a little while, and our food came while he was gone, the server asked us if he could take it back to the kitchen to keep it warm. When my MIL asked for berries for dessert he brought out a huge glass full of strawberries. My steak was cooked to perfection and DH and FIL loved their meals. We were on the dining plan, and the prices would have been steep otherwise, but if you're on the DDP, don't hesitate!

Mickey91
05-20-2007, 11:28 PM
We ate there in Dec. Again, it took a very long time to be seated. We loved the aqarium! There is a huge grouper that is a must see. You mouth will:jaw: . The food was excellent and so was the service. I also agree with the other posters, if you are on the DDP go for it. If not, it is a bit pricey. You may want to check out the menu at info central.:mickey:

snifflesmcg
05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I've been to Coral Reef twice and would be going back if I could get ADR. Anyway, the view of the aquarium is beautiful and the food and service is outstanding. I always give it a thumbs up.:thumbsup:

Natazu
05-21-2007, 05:03 AM
It's a beautiful, well-maintained aquarium. The food has always been of the highest quality whenever we've gone. The current menu is more limited than earlier incarnations, mostly due the change in amount of credits on the DDP. Since the cost went from 2TS to 1TS, the restaurant hasn't quite been the same. I definitely miss the "Signature Service Coral Reef" but I still like the place. The mahi and the tuna are great, the Creamy Lobster Soup is to die for, and they have one of the best desserts in the world, The Chocolate Wave, mmm.

GrmGrninGost
05-21-2007, 08:12 PM
We had our first visit to Coral Reef last Dec. :mickey: I absolutely loved it!!:thumbsup: The food was excellent, and the service most attentive! We did have to wait about 30 minutes, but it was well worth it! We have ADRs there in Sept.!

pox24
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Atmosphere ... :mickey: :mickey: :mickey:
Service...:mickey: :mickey: :mickey:
Food Value and Quality...:mickey:

We probably won't go back.

Jeri Lynn
05-22-2007, 07:36 AM
My sister and I went the Coral Reef last fall. We were on the disney dining plan.

We had 5pm ADR's and were seated within 5 minutes, we were on the bottom tier one table away from the aquarium.

Our server was polite and attentive, we really enjoyed out meal. It was the most expensive meal of our entire stay so it was nice to be on the DDP.

We are most likely going to go there again this December.

pshokie
05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I guess we are the wierd ones. We had a 6:00 ADR, showed up at 5:30, were were seated by 5:35. Kinda caught us by surprise.

As for the food, who cares?!?!? Its all about the Chocolate Wave!:thumbsup:

FriendsofMickey
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
We ate here in September. The atmosphere was nice, the food was good, desert was :cloud9: . The only bad is the further away you are from the aquarium the less you will see of it. You can always request to wait for a table near the aquarium, but it could be a long wait.

Jen66
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I booked Cr on July 19 at 5:40. I cannot wait for the chocolate wave now:party: And we are on the DDP, so it is just 1 TS.

DakotaDisney
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I just ate there for the first time in Feb. '07.

I really enjoyed it. The food was very good, service was good and I waited less then 10 minutes with my reservation.

I also sat right next to the aqaurium, so I had great views of sharks, the turtle and more. There was also a tour group scuba diving in the tank so that was fun to see and interact with them.

I was on the dining plan, so I saved on the meal. It was kind of expensive, so I know I wouldn't have had everything that I ordered if I had been paying cash. Being on the dining plan I tried a lot of restaurants that I might not have tried if I wasn't on the plan.

I really wanted to try the Coral Reef restaurant and I am really glad I did, but now that I have I don't know that I would go back. Not because I didn't like it, but because I might want to try somewhere else instead.

EpcotFanatic
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Good food, good service, great atmosphere but not enough to eat. I remembering ordering shrimp, and when they brought it out I was thinking to myself, where's the rest of it?

I ended up eating again at the hotel.