PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with POTC 2?

Christine
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Okay, I know I will probably come across as a total idiot with this question, but I am so desparate for help I will risk it!

I loved POTC 1. Loved everything about it!

However, POTC 2 didn't do much for me at all. I had trouble following it. After I saw it in the theater I never saw it again, until last night as DH and I sat down to watch it to refresh our memories before POTC 3 comes out this week.

After waching it again last night, some things became clearer...I think! :blush: (it gets tricky keeping up with who wants what...who wants the key, who wants the compass, and why each party wants what????).

But here's my big question:

At the end, when Will sees Elizabeth and Jack kissing, he is clearly hurt.
When they are at the witch's (or whatever) hut, Will appears sympathetic to Elizabeth for crying over Jack's "apparent" death.

Then when the witch (or whatever) asks who would go to the ends of the earth to save Jack, his crew and Elizabeth say absolutely, and so does Will. Why on earth would he want to 1) help Elizabeth and 2) save Jack after he betrayed him numerous times (sending him on board the Flying Dutchman, lying about the "debt", knocking him out with an oar on the beach, turning him over to the Commodore in order to save his own skin, kissing his fiance, etc).

That just makes no sense to me??? Am I missing something??? Why is he still playing the part of loyal friend?

DisneyDudet
05-20-2007, 02:11 PM
There are many theories, but mine are that Will is just that, loyal. He's loyal to Elizabeth because he loves her and probably wants her happy no matter what. He's loyal to Jack because... well... he's so irresistible!!

I know its very simplified, but, well, thats how I see it! Its hard for me to put it all into words. Maybe when I watch it again I'll come up with more!

Only 4 days, 6 hours and 50 minutes til I see At World's End!

murphy1
05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
You're not alone and you are not an idiot! It WAS confusing a lot of the time. My whole theory is that Will is a pirate at heart and so is Elizabeth and in the whole series, you never know whose side anybody is really on! Pirates go to whatever side suits them best. But in the end I think it goes back to the fact that Will's father Bootstrap and Jack were honorable to each other and Jack values Bootstrap. Even Commodore dude switched over and then back. Heck, I'm still wondering WHERE exactly Jack is, I mean is he at the bottom of the ocean in the beastie??

Cinderelley
05-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry I'm a little late in posting this, but maybe I can help a little bit.

1) Will loves Elizabeth and will do what it takes to make her happy, kind've like Norrington releasing her to Will at the end of #1.

2) Will wants the Black Pearl because he can rescue his father with it.