PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in September

DisneyLuvnNooks
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
We are going down for the free dining this year...finally.:thumbsup:
We asked friends of ours who went down last year if they were going again this year, they said OH GOD NO.
They said that there were bugs everywhere, they said they were told they were called LOVE BUGS.
Does anyone know anything about this, it is the first time we have heard of bug problems, I thought there was a big magic bubble that kept all bugs off the property LOL
Bur serious, they said they were literally all over them all day long, The heat is going to be bad enough, I do not want to have to deal with bugs all over me all day, and with a 3 year old to make it worse.

Figgyluv03
05-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Ah, the famous love bugs. Yes, they are all over the place, but they aren't that bad. You get use to seeing them making love all over the parks. Don't let it stop your trip and stop having fun. You guys should be fine. I worked down there all during September you'd just see them all over the place. That's all. I've never found them on me or see them land on me.

LudwigVonDrake
05-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I've never encountered the Love Bugs in the parks. I have seen/dealt with them at the pool at the resort :mickey:

Speedy1998
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
You should see what they do to the paint job on a car. "Love Bugs" do not bite, they just are everywhere. When you live in Fl you get used to them real quick.

snifflesmcg
05-19-2007, 08:24 PM
LOL, you all have very nice things to say about those retched love bugs. I had the unpleasant task of dealing with them two Septembers in a row. I saw them in the park but not alot. However....the resort was INFESTED with them. You couldn't sit down on the chairs outside because there were naughty love bugs (and dead ones) all over, not to mention flying all over and all over the sidewalks:mad: . Forget walking barefoot! :ack:

FriendsofMickey
05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
As mentioned the Love Bugs are very bad for your paint job; however, they are harmless in that they do not bite or sting.

We were there mid September and they were bad, but the worse place was the entrace to MGM for some reason.

My sister said the following week was not as bad. So are you on the tail end of September?

Emily
05-19-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm in Orlando right now and my car is covered with them! I hate love bugs. :ack: A couple even managed to get IN my car the 15 seconds I had my door open, so they hitched a ride with me over to the beach. :rolleyes: They are indeed everywhere.

tlhewitt52
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
What do you mean by they do a job on your car paint, they don't ruin it or anything do they??

psychotekkie
05-19-2007, 11:07 PM
What do you mean by they do a job on your car paint, they don't ruin it or anything do they??

I think this means that when you are driving they splat on the front of your car, grille, and windshield. And then you can't clean them off properly.

Anyone know approximately when love bug season starts? or gets bad? I am going the last week of August.

Thanks.

CaptSmee
05-20-2007, 12:20 AM
When we went in early Sept. a few years ago the bugs were EVERYWHERE! They were worst at our resort (Wilderness Lodge) and the boats that serviced us.

joelkfla
05-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Supposedly their innards are somewhat acidic, and will corrode your paint if they are not washed off in a day or two.

Other than that, they are completely harmless.

GrumpyFan
05-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Anyone know approximately when love bug season starts? or gets bad? I am going the last week of August.

Love bug season comes twice a year, April-May and August-September. There not too bad really, just annoying, They tend to be heavier around water areas.

We were there last year in September, and they were pretty heavy.

kathiep
05-20-2007, 08:51 AM
I agree with FriendsofMickey.

The only park I remember seeing them in last year was MGM and the entrance was the worst. There were clouds of them everywhere!

I don't remember seeing them in any other park - but they were all over CBR. I couldn't get into our room without some following.

*Pepper*
05-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I was down there in October of last year...and the bugs, in some places, were everywhere. Especially in MGM Studios, and less so behind the Contemporary. The other parks and hotels seemed ok. But the Studios - UGH!!!

It was an interesting experience.

kellyisbusy
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
You all are correct about the love bugs. They are completely harmless and I am told they are attracked to carbon dioxide, so if you don't breath you will be fine. :) :) I have also found them to be attraced to lighter colors so keep that in mind when dressing. I have lived in Florida my entire life and we deal with these every year. They fly around innocently (or Not) They do not bite but they do tickle. They are a very lite so when they land on you it feels like something tickling your skin. You can easily kill them but it is just as easy to shoo them away. They won't mess up your clothes and they don't squish but they will make a mess on the front of your car and it is hard to get them off once they are plastered there. As far as kids go, you can make it a game and try and catch them, which is easy.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-20-2007, 11:52 AM
We go every year in September. We have seen them every year but, no where near as BAD as last year.

We were there the 15th-23rd.

I heard that time frame was the worst for them and most of the CM's were even saying they had never seen them that bad.

They stuck to everything. Strollers, drinks, clothes, hats, etc. There were some areas worse then others but, they were in all of the parks. Epcot was the worse one of the days we were there.

My DD, 3, had a fit whenever one landed on her. Which was all day. It literally sounded like they were hurting her(Which of course they were not). We explained that they did not hurt and to just brush them away, etc, she was not hearing any of that. Whenever you ask her about the last trip, she tells everyone about the "yucky bugs". :sick:

We are going the same time this year. The 14th-22nd. We are keeping our fingers crossed that they are no where near as bad this year. Hey, I don't think they could be any worse?! :ack:

starrmomof2
05-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Our first encounter with them was last year; we were there the last week of Sept. We noticed them a lot from mid-Georgia (we drove down) to the World. We stayed at WL and didn't think they were bad there. The worst we saw was waiting at the bus stop at DTD and around the Rapids at AK. It became a game for our sons to see how many they could step on when they landed on the ground. Other than that, I thought they were just an annoyance and would take them any day over mosquitoes or other biting bugs.

Sharon1026
05-20-2007, 05:51 PM
They are small, black flying bugs. They live for a day or two, mate, then die. Sort of like fish flies that are up in the midwest (but much, much smaller). They are maybe a 1/2 inch long. They don't bite, or sting.

Honestly, you don't notice them after a while... except on your car.

I wouldn't sweat your trip at all. It's no biggie. Honest.

My only advice would be not to drive a motorcycle down here that time of year!

:stitch2: