PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #33

King Triton
05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
We're about a third of the way thru the year of questions, so we'll make this a tough one, asking you to pick from a ride that's just been thru a fairly major refurbishment and one that will get dusted up (or, maybe I should say dirtied up) soon.

Is it: Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion?

I usually don't backlink to previous questions, but Q32 was placed in "Vacation Planning Beyond Disney" (it was the Sea World vs. IOA question). If you missed it, here's a link:
Question #32 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104934)

If I get a chance, I may post Q34 this weekend in Accommodations.

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-19-2007, 01:02 PM
POTC is our favorite ride in WDW. :thumbsup:

We like the Haunted Mansion, it is not a favorite for us though. :hide2:

pook@wdw
05-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I currently prefer the POTC.:pirate: What with the refurb and all. However, I'll hold my final judgement til I see the new & improved HM.:thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Haunted Mansion! It's my favorite ride in the whole park, I think.:hmghost:

dumbo ears
05-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I picked HM because im not a big fan of POC

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-19-2007, 03:22 PM
HM for me. I think what does the difference for me is the CM's there. I love how the can keep in character the way they do!

SBETigg
05-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Haunted Mansion is good, but Pirates will always be my favorite.

Pop Centurion
05-19-2007, 03:40 PM
This is tough. I honestly can't choose because I enjoy both equally.

BritCody
05-19-2007, 03:51 PM
For me this is the toughest question so far, but I give the slight edge to the Haunted Mansion. I love everything about the Haunted Mansion. POTC is great but I'm still trying to get used to the New and Improved version of POTC. I love the movies but I'm still trying to convince my self that the new and improved version of POTC is better than the old one.

Nini
05-19-2007, 05:13 PM
This is a tough one!

I ended up choosing POC. What did it for me was thinking about the music - WDW just wouldn't be the same for me without a few (dozen) verses of "Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirate's Life For Me...." Come on, you know you can't stop singing it after you get off the ride!! Yup, Pirates!!! :thumbsup:

Denise :mickey:

Figgyluv03
05-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Haunted Masion all the way!!!!

tinksmom02
05-19-2007, 08:07 PM
POTC hands down!! We had never seen the movies, and DD absolutely LOVED the ride! Now she is OBSESSED with POTC, has a huge crush on both Capt. Jack AND Will Turner, and has already picked her Halloween costume out (Jack, of course!)! Matter of fact, we're watching POTC2 right now LOL

All that from ONE ride at WDW!

Kairi_7378
05-19-2007, 09:29 PM
HM is an EXPERIENCE, from the cast members to the Doonbuggies to the ghosts at the end. It's DH's favorite ride. POTC is good but it isn't as much of a favorite in our house.

WDWfeelslikehome
05-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I've loved PotC since I was knee high to a grasshopper, always have, always will. It is a can not miss on each trip. I have even enjoyed the movies, and am looking forward to At World's End this weekend.:thumbsup:

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
05-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Both are classics but POTC has always been my personal favorite. :thumbsup:

johnO
05-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Potc.

LoriMistress
05-19-2007, 10:52 PM
POTC...it has a unique smell and the ride is extremely well detailed. For a laid back boat ride, it's a lot of fun.

GrmGrninGost
05-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Tough call! These may be my two favorite rides at WDW! I had to go with HM, though, it is my most favorite of all!!:ghost:

Mickey91
05-20-2007, 12:14 AM
:mickey: Well Grm.. this will shock ya! I voted for Pirates! I love the "We want the red head!" scene! And didn't they make Jack Sparrow look real??? Wow!

darthmacho
05-20-2007, 12:14 PM
This is the Super Bowl of dark rides. Though they've both been around for awhile, they are classics that never seem to get tired. These two rides are more like an adventure. The story itself is a thrill. :hmghost:

In this close contest, PoC wins by an edge for two reasons. First off, I prefer a water borne ride to a tram, and secondly, it has so much detail to absorb, that you couldn't possibly go on it and NOT see something new. If you do, then you aren't trying. :pirate: :skull: :chest:

Damon18
05-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Pirates gets my vote also. It is my favorite ride in any park!:thumbsup:

angel2931
05-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Even though they are both great rides... and I only have 96 days until I can ride them again!!... I have to say POTC is one of my fav's!!! :pirate: AAARRRRRRRR!!

k_reile
05-20-2007, 05:40 PM
while I like both...I voted for HM because I love at the end of the ride where the ghost is riding with you!

T-Belle
05-20-2007, 07:58 PM
This is the toughest question, so far! After much thought, I chose HM. I don't know why! I love them both. But, I guess if I went to the MK I would prefer for POTC to be down rather that HM. Does that make any sence?

Jessie
05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I do enjoy POC, but I'm a Doom Buggie Gal all the way!

LibertyTreeGal
05-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Based on the refurbed HM I just saw in DL and also upon the fact that POTC at MK is so inferior to the DL version (no improvements could make the MK version better than DL, it's too short and not designed as well), I picked HM -- on the assumption that the refurb will be the same as at DL. :thumbsup:

Figment78
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Oh Wow! What a question. For me, I had to try to remember my opinion before the movies were made. I LOVE PotC movies - and so now I love PotC ride even more. But before the movie brought PotC to life for me, I would have said the Haunted Mansion. There is something about the scenery and the waltzing ghosts and the doombuggies and the behavior of the cast members who tell you to "Drag your bodies to the center of room" that always makes me smile and giggle. So I voted Haunted Mansion, even though PotC is beautiful and fascinating and Yo Ho is such a classic disney ride song and... oh man, great question!

BTW, we also enjoyed the Haunted Mansion movie but not nearly as much as PotC!

CU Tiger
05-20-2007, 09:33 PM
This was a coin flip for me :shrug: . I chose HM just because it is still the same old classic ride it has always been. :mickey:

2manykats
05-20-2007, 09:47 PM
:pirate: Love them both but I POTC wins by a dark cool cavern.

battle beast
05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
I can see this one ending 50-50.

I like both rides, but HM a little more. they are two of my favs, though.

KAT1811
05-20-2007, 11:51 PM
For me this is the toughest question so far, but I give the slight edge to the Haunted Mansion.

I have to agree here. This was the hardest question yet! I love both but HM got my vote. It is my DD#1's (10) favorite ride and DD#2's (2.5)favorite movie. I can't wait to see DD#2 when she realizes that HM is a "real"place!!! 114 days and then here we come!!!

MsMin
05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
I remember my first trip to DL when the pirates opened and when HM opened in DL. For sentimental reasons I went with Pirates b/c it was first!!!!

Crow
05-21-2007, 02:08 AM
hard but i guess POTC.
will be seein the refurb of it in 8 days and the prerefurb of HM. then in Sept the refurb HM.
now if the Nightmare overlay was on HM i would probably pick that.

Spaceship Tigger
05-21-2007, 07:01 AM
I guess I prefer riding in the boats to the Doombuggies, so I went with POTC.

RAIDER
05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Pirates for me :thumbsup:

mook3y
05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me onesies. :mickey:

Jeff G
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
This poll seems unfair, almost like having to pick a favorite child.

I went with POTC but could have went either way since both are favorites at WDW.

castlelady36
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Really tough one as I love the water rides but I had to go with HM. Might change my mind with the new updates but we'll see....

klynch7
05-21-2007, 10:57 AM
That was so hard! Those are my two all time favorites!! But I had to choose PoTC because of Captain Jack!:mickey:

Ms.Disney
05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Well that was hard.... I voted for HM! I rode both HM and Potc yesterday....there were a few things on MH that were not working....it really needs some TLC. Cant wait to see what there going to do with it.

Tynkerbelle
05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
WOW - I really had a hard time with this one... I love both equally!

I almost couldn't vote, but went with HM. I love the CM's costumes, the queue with the tombstones, the stretching room, etc. What I really get a kick out of is the fact that this ride used to scare me so much when I was really little and now I can appreciate it for all it's worth!

beksy
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow, this was a tough one! I love them both!! They are two of my favorite rides in the whole park! :cloud9: I choose POTC though. It has just always been special for us (we love the water rides) although I agree that the CM's do a fantastic job with the HM and really make that ride extra special. Can't wait for October to try them both out again! :mickey:

avantgardeinker
05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
This was almost an eeny meeny miny moe decision, but I voted for Pirates only because I'm anxious to get to see the refurb.

199 more days!!!
:mickey:

The 1,000th Happy Haunt
05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
This is an evil question as POTC & HM are my top 2. When forced to choose I picked HM because that is/was the family favorite growing up. Now I think DW and I might like POTC a little more, but its' too tough to pick. I almost didn't vote :mickey:

c&d
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I chose HM because it is the ride I remember vividly from my first visit in 74. When I go on the ride and remember the feeling the first time I rode.

BelleBeauty
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
As Darthmacho said, this is the Super Bowl of dark rides! I would not have been able to pick between these two amazing favorites except two things tipped the scale:

1. The recent refurb of Pirates, though I don't hate it, I'm not a huge fan of it (in either WDW or DL)
2. I saw the Nightmare Before Christmas version of the HM in DL this past October and absolutely fell in love with it! So innovative - I wish that they could do that in WDW!

lightyearfan
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
man this was a tough one, i had to choose Pirates simply because this was getting refurbed last June, so obviously we didn't ride it, and me and dw are probably going to do this one first on our upcoming trip. these 2 attractions are MK and last year it just didn't feel right not being able to ride Pirates, so this years trip we plan to ride Haunted at least twice before it's closed for refurb on June 6th.
intercoters, there are certain rides that are absolute must do's no matter how many times that we've ridden them, these 2 are those rides, it just doesn't feel right that when you goto MK and not being able to do either of these rides.

Victor:mickey:

pianobabe
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I had to go with POTC. It is always the first and last ride we do. I do have to say this was a tough decision. I always see something I hadn't noticed before when I ride HM. POTC AND Jack Sparrow, that just can't be beat.

Cinderelley
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I be hoisting me colors for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Polynesian Dweller
05-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Found this one as hard as everybody else has. This is one poll I would have liked to vote for both. :scratch:

Went with HM, mostly because the WDW version of POTC simply isn't nearly equal to the DL version. The DL version is far better done and more fun. HM at both parks is about equally well done.

Please, don't ask any more questions that hurt the brain that much. :faint:

Bethanymouse
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
:thumbsup: Yo Ho, Yo Ho a pirates life for me!

January-2007
05-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I voted for Pirates of the Carribean, although really neither one is a must do for me. After a traumatizing "stuck" moment on the Haunted Mansion I've never really enjoyed it that much and don't make a point of riding it. Also, I don't like what they've added to the POTC ride, I think it's just silly. I thought it was better before.

SpecJoe Magic
05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Prior to the movie additions, I would have picked Haunted Mansion. However, I feel that the additions of Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, and Davy Jones along with the updates to the programming of various other pirates and the general refurbishments throughout the ride have catapulted PotC ahead of HM. If HM gets the proper treatment that it needs, then I may rank it higher than PotC again.

Wrigley
05-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, it is almost 50/50 with me. I guess I'll have to go with POTC. I absolutely LOVE both rides though. They are my favorite 2 in the whole park. I like the changes they made in POTC. They should make some changes in the HM as well!

Jared
05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
The Haunted Mansion is incredible, but I voted for Pirates of the Caribbean. I think the recent refurbishment enhanced an already great attraction.

:)

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a soft spot in my heart for both rides. I personally love POT but my DW and I never miss a ride on the Haunted Mansion. Ever since our first trip together, we've never missed a ride, including the night I proposed to her. lol
:goofy: