PDA

View Full Version : Disney Unions Snub Deal

TheRustyScupper
05-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Disney labor group snubs deal

Unions representing 21,000 workers decide company 'can do better' with a contract

Willoughby Mariano | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 19, 2007

Members of Walt Disney World's largest labor group narrowly rejected a tentative labor contract early today.

More than 52 percent of Service Trades Council voters rejected the proposed three-year agreement, which would have included pay raises of 4 percent for many workers and health-care options for the group's roughly 21,000 members. The vote was 2,870-2,583.

"We are determined to continue to work to achieve a new contract," said Morty Miller, president of the Service Trades Council.

Disney representatives said they were disappointed in the vote and that they expect to meet with union representatives soon. No date has been set.

"It's a highly competitive package," spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.

The vote came after some rancor.

Leadership of Teamsters Local 385, one of six unions in the Service Trades Council, would not endorse the tentative contract to its 2,000 members, saying higher health-care costs negated any raises. Wage increases for workers at the top of their pay scale were also too low, they said.

"The vote speaks for itself," Teamsters Local 385 organizer Donna-Lynne Dalton said. "Disney can do better by its cast members."

Disney employees are working under their old contract, which expired April 28. It was extended as negotiations continued.

Before Friday's vote, Disney contracted with Mears Transportation to shuttle many union members to voting sites, sidestepping Disney-employed bus drivers who are represented by Teamsters.

Disney officials said they hired the shuttles because their regular bus drivers are too busy to handle the extra trips. Union organizers accuse them of trying to keep Teamsters bus drivers from influencing the vote.

Still, leadership of the five other unions in the council urged members to approve the new contract: UNITE HERE 362; UNITE HERE 737; United Food and Commercial Workers; Transportation Communications International Union; and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts, Local 631

DizneyRox
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
What's the inside word on possible walk offs, etc? I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the contract expires shortly before the summer busy season. That has the potential for some major leverage with the negotiations.

mttafire
05-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Unions......Eh, Ill keep quiet.:secret:

gueli
05-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Why the title of "Disney labor group snubs deal" ?
why couldn't they reject or turn down the offer?
Unions have a valid place in this country, I find the wording "pro-management".
The way 'snubbing' sounds there was an offer on the table that was too good, that the union bosses felt the offer was beneath them,etc.
Based on the vote (52 to 48 %) I would not consider it a snub, but that the contract was narrowly turned down.
I am not a member of a union. I am not a fan of management.
Not all union decisions are good, but not all management decisions are either.
Unfortuanatly, health care costs continue to rise way too much for everyone in this country. How it gets paid for...

None the less, I do hope a fair contract for one and all can be worked out.
:mickey:

Scar
05-21-2007, 09:33 AM
...the group's roughly 21,000 members. The vote was 2,870-2,583.

Leadership of Teamsters Local 385, one of six unions in the Service Trades Council, would not endorse the tentative contract to its 2,000 members, ...

Still, leadership of the five other unions in the council urged members to approve the new contract: ...Something is not adding up here. Smells a little fishy to me.

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Unions......Eh, Ill keep quiet.

1) Yep, I agree with the sentiment.
2) But, WDW employees are in a tough spot.
3) They do not have to join the union (most of the 21,000 do not belong).
4) But, they have to live under the work rules and pay.
5) Several WDW-mgmt say they are glad there is a union.
6) Life would be much tougher for WDW without a union.

NOTE: There is some displeasure and distrust on behalf of many CM's with the union and their negotiating skills. After all, a single union doesn't have enough members to defeat the contract. The last contract
. . . reduced many hourly pay rates
. . . eliminated the retirement plan for newer employees
. . . changed work rules
. . . allowed a crazy scheduling system
. . . halted the costume-changing pay allowance
. . . allowed employee reductions through more outsourcing
. . . mandatory workdays of up to 14-hours w/o notice

. . . used to take about 7-yrs to reach the top of a pay grade
. . . now it can take 15-years to reach top of pay grade

TiggerRPh
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I think that you have one of your numbers wrong...the union has 21,000 members. There are more than 21,000 CM's at WDW.

Just to illustrate your other points though....notice that of the 21,000 members, only about 5,500 bothered to vote.

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I think that you have one of your numbers wrong...the union has 21,000 members. There are more than 21,000 CM's at WDW.

1) According to law, even if you don't belong, you are a member. *
2) The union can't represent you, but you are a member.
3) In the event of a dispute or grievance, a rep is there.
4) They are not representing the employee, just the Contract.

5) As for numbers
. . . there are over 60,000 employees at WDW
. . . more than 1/2 are non-union types
. . . of the remaining, there are several unions
. . . many do not belong to the Service Trades Council
. . . for union jobs, less than 1/3 actually belong and pay dues

* Right-to-Work states have different laws than "Closed Shop" states where you MUST be a dues-paying member if the shop is represented by a union.

Scar
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
. . . there are over 60,000 employees at WDW
. . . for union jobs, less than 1/3 actually belong and pay dues.So, does this mean that if there were a strike, only 7,000 (1/3 of 21,000) would do so?

Oh, and buy the way, where would they set up their picket line?

TheRustyScupper
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
So, does this mean that if there were a strike, only 7,000 (1/3 of 21,000) would do so?

Oh, and buy the way, where would they set up their picket line?

1) That is the problem.
2) When they have tried to strike, not enough go.
3) This leaves enough people manning the operations.
4) Unfortunately, managers and employees know this.
5) This makes the unions a VERY, VERY weak.
6) Legally, non-dues-payers could strike without penalty.
7) But, they can't afford to miss work.

8) There is no place on-site to strike.
9) The law says they must be off-property.
10) Thus, there are few places for people to see pickets.
. . . outside DTD on Hwy-535
. . . East Gate on I-4
. . . Main Gate on Hwy-192
11) Not very effective picketing locations.

NOTE: If you were a good union person and came to WDW for a vacation, would you actually not cross the picket line - and disappoint your entire family, let alone waste $3,000-$5,000?

NOTE2: The internal bus drivers tried to strike once. WDW heard about it in advance and brought in every MEARS driver available. The strike failed miserably. Guests never even knew anything about it. It was seamless.

Scar
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Yup, in fact I’m now thinking the only ones who would even consider striking would be the 2,000 teamsters and the 870 other members who voted no. Not very effective. My guess is that Disney will offer some minor concession and the Teamsters will accept.

Juniorunc2001
05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I am sure this will get resolved, esp before the busy summer months.

What I don't understand is why so many union members decided not to vote. If they truely cared, then they would've voiced their opinion.

Brian
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
4% raises? I wish I could strong arm my way into a 4% guaranteed raise. Around here, 2.5% is the norm.

I'd love to hear what their health care costs would've been. I work for a health insurer and share in the costs of my health insurance. Although I don't know if it's the case here, I'm amazed by the unions that demand free health insurance and the high-percentage raises. The teachers unions, as well as some of the manufacturing unions, in my region are like that.

minnie1956
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I used to work for union. Not again. Would rather be a whopper flopper than do that.
My Mom currently is. Pays big$$ for lousy part time job. That being said. When I see what we pay for our share of health plan at work, it really cranks me that the Union demands they don't have to pay for anything for theirs.
I hope everything is settled, though for all of their sakes.
It's a small world after all! Can't we just get along ( without Unions that is!):D

Dorito2000
05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
and please don't forget that the other unions in the STC encouraged a yes-vote. Only one disagreed with the new contract.

TheRustyScupper
05-24-2007, 08:51 PM
1) The CM's deserve so much more than they get.
2) Especially with Disney making record profits!
3) The CM's make the magic for all the guests.
4) Not the managers, especially the younger untrained ones.

NOTE: I am sorry for so many of the CM's that cannot make it on their pay. I know many who are suffering. In fact I know one couple who both have been at WDW for several years. They have 3-children. They get food stamps and subsidized housing. Pitiful.

joelkfla
05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Update from the union web site:

Monday, May 21, 2007:
Contract Extended For 30 Days

The Union will meet with the Company on Wednesday, May 30, 2007.

Figment!
05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
:cop: Moderator Note :cop:

Folks, while this can be a personal topic for some of our Guests, it is no reason to try to turn the discussion into a personal argument/debate.

Please refrain from any comments that are directed at individual posters. Negative comments that are directed at individual Guests are not allowed per the INTERCOT Terms of Service per the "personal attack" clause.

Comments or Posts that have been deemed as personally directed at other Guests (rather than at the topic at hand) have been removed for the sake of a civil discussion.

Moreover, to avoid further editing up to the closure of this thread, please attempt to restrain comments directly to the news item at hand and not Unions in general.

INTERCOT.com is first and foremost a Vacation Planning Community. We are here to provide a friendly, fast, and factual means of helping our Guests plan their vacations and have a good time while doing so.

News items such as this are primarily a means of informing Guests of future events they might encounter on a future visit. We are not here to share personal political or social perspectives that are related to these News items.

JT Mac
05-25-2007, 08:15 PM
4% raises? I wish I could strong arm my way into a 4% guaranteed raise. Around here, 2.5% is the norm.

Keep in mind that this is 4% over the course of the three-year term of the contract.

joelkfla
05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind that this is 4% over the course of the three-year term of the contract.

No, according to the union web site, the contract that was voted down included 4%-5% annually, but maximum rates per classification would be limited to 2%-3% increase per year. So cm's at the top of their pay range could receive less than 4%. I think that was one of the Teamsters' gripes.

Starting rates were to have increased $0.25-$1.35. Bad news for me -- I'll probably be starting a couple of weeks before the new contract kicks in (assuming one is approved in the next few weeks.) :(

DisneyGiant
05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
1) The CM's deserve so much more than they get.
2) Especially with Disney making record profits!
3) The CM's make the magic for all the guests.
4) Not the managers, especially the younger untrained ones.

NOTE: I am sorry for so many of the CM's that cannot make it on their pay. I know many who are suffering. In fact I know one couple who both have been at WDW for several years. They have 3-children. They get food stamps and subsidized housing. Pitiful.

Extremely pitiful. And people wonder why some of us tip some of the non-tipped positions (housekeeping comes to mind).

I'd tip the counter service people too if I could - that's been a trend up here - there's a jar at the counter - and its voluntary.

AnnetteFan
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
I love my job, I never want anyone to get the idea that I don't. Working at Disney and being friends with the characters is a dream come true for me and it's honestly something I want to make a career out of, eventually getting into training and management. But it breaks my heart to know that I'm making less for doing such a demanding job, than I would be making at McDonalds. A lot less. Mostly because Disney knows that I'd rather work for them than McDonalds. But at the same time they're scheduling me 60 hour weeks because they can't hire enough people. The logical thing to do would be to raise the pay to compete with other themeparks or even just other businesses in the city. And considering how much money they're making off of character meals and photo-pass pictures featuring the characters, it's horrible that they don't pay better or treat you better.