PDA

View Full Version : Which shows are skippable at MGM?

thejens
05-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Last year I planned poorly for this park. I'd like to prioritize shows. We have four boys so we'll probably skip Beauty and the Beast this time. I'm not sure if we can squeeze all the shows in, so would appreciate your recommendations of which are best and which unmemorable. We have a three year old who would like Playhouse Disney, but the other boys would love the stunt shows. Any advice?

Tygger7
05-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Definitely do not miss "Lights, Motors, Action"...wow! That show is fantastic! The Indiana Jones show is awesome too. If you can get those in, you won't be disappointed.

I didn't catch when you were going, but if you're going to be at MGM in June, there are some really cool exhibits and little shows for Star Wars weekends. Any Star Wars fan in the family would go nuts.

Hope that helps!!

DisneyGiant
05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Indiana Jones is not an every year must do.

Personally, having seen Lights, Motors, Action - I wouldn't do that every year either. I found the noise from the cars excessive.

I do love Beauty & the Beast.

And Playhouse Disney is definitely skippable if you don't have kids under 5.

DakotaDisney
05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Skip:
Sounds Dangerous
Chronicles of Narnia

Must See:
Lights, Action Stunt Show
Indiana Jones
Muppets

Opptional depending on the age & gender of your kids: (As an adult I liked all of the these but with kids, it's different)
Beauty and the Beast
Little Mermaid
Playhouse Disney

septembergirl
05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I am going out on a limb here, I know, but I would skip Fantasmic.:bolt:
We took my DS for his 11th birthday a few years ago. He was not that into it. It was extremely crowded and HOT. And it felt as if we would never get out of the park afterward even though we left early. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more during a less crowded time.
We had to go an hour early trying to ensure a good seat. Between that and the time it took to exit the park, we were exhausted and wished we had used that time :coaster: !

Oh the other hand, DON'T MISS Indiana Jones, especially if you're boys are fans. We have 3 DS and they loved it! :trio: They saw it 3 times the week they were there. My DH and DB got to be in it which made it all the more memorable.

If you are hot and need a rest, Sounds Dangerous is good enough. Otherwise, skip it. It is a great place to nurse a :babyroll:!

:kermit: :animal: :fozzie: :gonzo: is the best show in the park, IMHO.

TiggerRPh
05-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Definitely do not miss "Lights, Motors, Action"...wow! That show is fantastic! The Indiana Jones show is awesome too. If you can get those in, you won't be disappointed.

If you haven't seen it...by all means give it a look..you may like it. I thought the show was boring and very uninteresting. I saw it once and will never see it again.

Other shows/attractions to skip...

Sounds Dangerous
Animation Tour
Chronicles of Narnia

DizneyRox
05-19-2007, 07:27 AM
MGM is by most counts a 1/2 day park right now. But if you want a list of things to skip...

Lights Motors Action,
Animation Tour (it's really sad to see what they've done to it),
Sounds Dangerous - Starring Who Carey
Journey Into Narnia: Creating the Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe,
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular,
Beauty and the Beast (just because you said all boys)
Backlot Tour

If it were me, I'd just head over to Fantasmic one night after Animal Kingdom. That's my only MUST SEE over at MGM these days. Even the Great Movie Ride isn't so "great" anymore.

tlhewitt52
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I would definitely go see Lights, Motor Action with 4 boys this would be a definite must if they are into cars. I have a DS 3 and 7 they loved it and I would not skip Fantasmic either, I know you have to get there early and it's crowded to get out we just waited a little while till the crowd cleared and then left, we didn't have a long wait for a bus either at the end of the night, but this is my families fav :pixie: firworks show so I wouldn't miss it we always fit it in twice when we are there!!

Mickey91
05-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I would split up and one of you take the 3yr old to playhouse while the other goes to one of the other shows. Then whoch ever one is left, go as a family. This will allow all the boys to see their favorite and cut your show time down. Or, if they aren't going at the same time, add in a ride the younger one might want or let the older ones ride TOT and RRC while he's at playhouse.

wilshade
05-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Lights, Motors, Action is okay to try once. I am alos one of those that have found "once is enough" for that one.

Indiana Jones seems to stay fairly fresh mainly because there is always some sort of glitch. rare is the performance that goes exactly how it is supposed to.

Avoid "Sounds Dangerous" unless you need to take a nap.

Actually, it may be better to try to get one Rockin Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror as many times as you can, rather than do the shows.

This park is in dire need of a makeover.

MrPeetrie
05-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I'd definitely skip the Backlot tour and the Animation Tour. They're not what they once were.

Must Sees, of course are Tower of Terror and Rock 'n Rollercoaster!:thedolls:

I saw Lights, Motors, Action on the last trip and thought it was "OK." But family members LOVED it! So I may be in the minority.

I like Indiana Jones, but DW thinks it's lame so we see it once every three visits.

I have a little girl, so we NEVER MISS playhouse Disney or Voyage of the lIttle Mermaid. I also try to see Fantasmic at least once each trip.

Believe it or not, we've never seen Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage. That's on the next trip's agenda.

MOJoe
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I've got 2 boys, 13 & 8. They plead with me not to make them see Beauty & the Beast. (i still like it!) They tolerate The Little Mermaid. But for them, Indy and LMA are not to be missed shows. Playhouse Disney is also great for anyone under 7. Don't miss the Muppets, and if you've never seen it, you may like the Backlot Tour. Don't even think of "seeing" Sound Dangerous.
If you are going this summer, try to see LMA before the heat of the day, 'cause those stadium seats get hot!
MGM seems to be a great park for boys. Mine love it as much as MK. Get your plan together, and i'm sure you all will have a great time.

TexasPrincessAurora
05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
We have a 3 year old little boy as well. Just a warning on that note about Lights Motors Action...the noise was really too much for him. I had to hold my hands over his ears through the whole show. I think otherwise he enjoyed the show ok, but it's a long wait with a little one as early as you have to get there before hand.

I would say the little one will really enjoy Playhouse Disney. My little one really enjoys Little Mermaid too...the show is really well done and he loves all the fish.

Don't miss the Muppets! They should all get a kick out of it!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Our boys actually liked Beauty and the Beast once we "made" them come see it with us. Especially the pre show!!!

All three like Little Mermaid. (The boys aren't jumping up and down or anything, I think they like seeing their sister watch it :cloud9: )

Playhouse Disney is fun.

Fantasmic is a must do for our family!!

Lights, Motor, Action they all enjoyed.

We have never done Indiana Jones with them. :secret: DH and I have seen it though. I will have to remember to take them to that this year.

MGM is a half day park for us too. We usually get there around 1pm and stay through Fantasmic.

Have fun!!

LoriMistress
05-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I would avoid the Backlot Tour. It's boring, takes forever, and lame. I remember seeing the backlot tour in Universal Studios in Hollywood back when it was the first opened...and that backlot tour was a lot better than this one.

thejens
05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I really appreciate all your thoughts. Unfortunately for me I do think my boys will LOVE the car crashing stuff and IJones. I'll avoid Sounds Dangerous and I can't agree with you more about that time wasting commercial for Narnia. Whoever imagineered that one should be fired!! For the boys we'll skip Beauty. The backlot tour might be kind of interesting to the kids, but it is a shame it's not better. How early do we have to report for all the shows? Everyone says this is a half day park, but it seems to me that the shows waste away all your time. I wish they would have some kid friendly rides. My nephews will never do TOT or RR or possibly even Star Tours. Thanks so much for all your great comments.

MrPeetrie
05-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Am I the ONLY ONE who likes "Sounds Dangerous?"

Speedy1998
05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Personally, having seen Lights, Motors, Action - I wouldn't do that every year either. I found the noise from the cars excessive.

Guess you have never been to a NASCAR race before. Or any other type or race for that matter.

DizneyRox
05-19-2007, 09:56 PM

I think you are...

katzctkpt
05-19-2007, 10:17 PM
With 4 boys I'd say do the Indiana Jones, Muppets, Lights Motor Action & Fantasmic. I have 3 kids and those are about the only shows they like there. Sitting Tip for Fantasmic we have set about 5 rows from the front about 2 sections from the right side of the stage but, beware you may get a little bit wet from the mist off the water. That is our favorite spot to watch the show.

rsumrall
05-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Skip Beauty And The Beast!!

septembergirl
05-20-2007, 01:07 PM
I would avoid the Backlot Tour. It's boring, takes forever, and lame. I remember seeing the backlot tour in Universal Studios in Hollywood back when it was the first opened...and that backlot tour was a lot better than this one.

I agree. Felt like I was spinning my wheels.

TiggerRPh
05-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Say hello to the president of the Drew Carey Fan Club....or Drew Carey's Mom.

:secret:

Makusu
05-20-2007, 06:53 PM

It's an okay show the first time. After that I just usually fall asleep. Nice a dark.

tplmarc
05-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Beauty and the Beast, Muppets, Fantasmic are the only the must do shows at mgm!

mrsgaribaldi
05-21-2007, 04:31 AM
I saw Indiana Jones once and was not that impressed but your boys might like it. Sounds Dangerous I would skip. The Backlot Tour used to be better but your boys might really like the beginning. I wouldn't skip Fantasmic. If you don't want to wait a long time you could always do the Fantasmic dining package. Then you won't have to wait long. The seats that are reserved are not bad, in my opinion. We did it once and ate at Hollywood & Vine. It's a buffet and there was a large selection of food that I thought was delicious. We have never done Beauty and the Beast but I would ask the boys if they wanted to see it and skip it if they are not that into it.
There are only a few showings of the stunt show so be ready for that. I wanted to see it again on our last trip but there were no shows when we were at the park. We went late afternoon because there was the EMhs but there was only one show left that we didn't make in time:(

LouRodriGIS
05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
It all depends on your preferences, age of your family members, and past experiences. For us, Fantasmic is the only must see show at MGM.

Since we have seen everything at MGM at least twice here are my comments on the other shows:
Indiana Jones - still nice to see at least once a trip
Lights, Motors, Action - not impressed with the first time
Voyage of The Little Mermaid - good for my DD6 but not for the rest of us
Playhouse Disney - not worth unless you have small kids

jefmblrd
05-21-2007, 07:00 AM
If you haven't seen it...by all means give it a look..you may like it. I thought the show was boring and very uninteresting. I saw it once and will never see it again.

I couldn't agree more. My wife and I couldn't wait until LIghts, Motors, Action was over. We found it boring and pointless and won't see it again, but everyone should check out every attraction for themselves and make up their own minds.

If you like the Chronicles of Narnia movie, then I wouldn't skip that as some previous posters have said. While it is nothing great, it is fun to go in and experience the snow and the lampost, and see some of the stuff from the movies.

Sounds Dangerous is awful, but there are some people who love it, so check it out if you never have.

TiggerRPh
05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
If you like the Chronicles of Narnia movie, then I wouldn't skip that as some previous posters have said. While it is nothing great, it is fun to go in and experience the snow and the lampost, and see some of the stuff from the movies.

I loved the movie...but was unimpressed with this. Not enough on display and not enough show...it was unimaginative an uninspired IMO.