PDA

View Full Version : No #'s, Just intangibles....

pshokie
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
We are fence sitters at the moment trying to decide if this is something we should do. We went on the tour of the SSR and the AKV mock-ups last Thursday, and really liked the DVC concept and escpecially the rooms (1 & 2BR).

First off, I have read all of the stickies, and read several of the threads. Because of this I will ask the following, please leave the numbers/break evens/investment scenarios to other threads. Monetarily, I can justify. Realistically, we are all but garaunteed to go to WDW as potential DVCers atleast 3 times in the next decade (2010, 2013, 2016). Beyond that , well that's too far in the future. But I can defintely see this coming full circle with grandkids in 25 years. And all of those numbers threads, well.....:sick: :confused: :ack: :bang: :huh: :crazy: :hide2:
I think you get the point.

The problem I have is with the intangibles...will this really work for us? And before you say well, that is something only you can decide, I agree, but I need more information.

As I said above and my sig indicates below, we will be going to WDW atleast 4 times. But next year will still be the Poly, simply becuase with 2 littles ones, we know MK is THE park, and well, the Monorail is the only way to go with strollers, IMHO.

But once the kids are "self mobile" things change, and DVC becomes a real option. I have a ton of questions, but this is already to long, so I will get to the big ones - For reference, our "vacation times" will be the 1st week in May, 3rd/4th week in June, or 1st week in November. No Major holidays:
- How hard is it to get a GV at you home resort 11 months out?
- How hard is it to get a GV not at your home resort at 7 months out?
- Is there any penalty if we fail to use points before they expire?
- Realistically, how difficult is it to exchange for other vacation destinations?
- Can you only make with ressie for your "points in hand at ressie time" (banked, current and borrowed) or is is it "points in hand at time of lodging"?

I am sure there are others, and I will post them as they come along.

Thanks in advance

Maleficent's Dad
05-18-2007, 03:59 PM
For reference, our "vacation times" will be the 1st week in May, 3rd/4th week in June, or 1st week in November. No Major holidays:
No holidays = easier ressies. :mickey:
However, the later you go in June, the more crowded WDW becomes as schools let out.

How hard is it to get a GV at you home resort 11 months out?
- How hard is it to get a GV not at your home resort at 7 months out?
11 months out - not much of a problem, especially for the times you listed (November might be more of a challenge due to the F&W festival, but not really at 11 months).
7 months... can be problematic depending on where you'll stay. BWV GVs go quickly due to their size & location. OKW & SSR shouldn't go as fast as they have more of them (the GV) and are not in such a great location (compared to the BW). There are no GV at VWL or BCV.

Is there any penalty if we fail to use points before they expire?
No, not in terms of money - but you do lose your points that were "banked." You'll also lose any current points that weren't banked.

- Realistically, how difficult is it to exchange for other vacation destinations?
Never done this myself personally - but I've heard that it's both difficult and I've heard that it works. I guess it depends on where and when you want to go... Sorry, not much help here!

Can you only make with ressie for your "points in hand at ressie time" (banked, current and borrowed) or is is it "points in hand at time of lodging"?
Based on points at time of lodging. You can book next year's vacation with next year's points as long as you have the points then (at the time you're staying there).