PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa?

donsteele
05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
What kind of discounts do you get with a Disney Visa?

Thanks

TIGGER17179
05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Not much... When it first came out you got some good ones but they have changed it and now you really don't get much. You get like 10% off a purchase of 25.00 or more at the big disney store at DTD and a charatcer met and greet at Epcot but other than that not much.

CleveSJM
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
You usually get advanced shot at some discounts (like free dining) that will be eventually open up to the public.

The best deal with the Visa is the disney rewards program. It's adds up to about a 1% rebate of purchases. That gets credited to a special Disney Rewards Card that you use like a Visa at Disney (or online at disneyshopping.com or disney.com). You can use the credits for resort stays, tickets, etc. Not bad.

CleveSJM
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah, the 6 months 0% interest on Disney resort vacations is awful nice too. You have 6 months to pay off your down payment, and 6 months after your final payment. Effectively 4.5 months after your vacation interest free. Not bad either.

Disney4
05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
You also get discounts on some tours as well.

Also, I got 0% for 14 months on transfers and purchases and an 8% APR.

Considering you earn $1 Disney money for each$100 in purchases, it's not a bad deal. :thumbsup:

vamaggie
05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
If you are going to go to WDW and are going to use a credit card, I feel it is a good deal. Besides the advance notice for some promos, and the 6 mos interest free on vacation packages the 1% back can really help with WDW costs. We only go to WDW every 3 years or so and whenever we decide to plan a trip, we start to put everything we would buy with a check anyway (food, gas, etc) on our Disney Visa (and pay it off each month). We have been doing this since late last year and already have about $250 in rewards money banked. We plan to use the money we "earn" to pay for souveniers, food etc at the world (but you could also use it to pay for room, package etc) I don't remember what the APR is but if you pay it off each month it won't matter. Plus it is really neat when a cashier comments on the card and the Tink design. Lets me talk Disney a little!!:mickey:

MickeyDreamer
05-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I find it interesting the way they market different people for balance transfers. I have never used them but they offer me .9% or 1.99% for the life of the transfer all the time. I think the 8% for 14 is interesting what other rates are they offering people I wonder?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-18-2007, 11:55 PM
They also offer advance tickets on shows sometimes.

MushuGrl
05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
We got a $15 coupon for Planet Hollywood as well when we booked our package with Disney Visa, as well as free round of golf and one free go at a sea racer.

Crow
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
i just got an advance ticket offer for Little Mermaid musical. deleted it as i wouldnt b going.
took them up w the free dining notice before it was released to others and booked thru MJ
im taking advantage of the 6 months no interest and earning some Disney $ to use on the trip. but i plan on having it paid off before interest accrues

Dakota Rose
05-22-2007, 09:53 PM
With the 0% financing on the vacation package, do you still get 1% in rewards?

cperry92380
05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
With the 0% financing on the vacation package, do you still get 1% in rewards?

I was told I couldn't earn reward dollars when purchasing a Disney package (through Disney vac). I used it last year to pay for my package through AAA & did earn points that way...
You also don't earn points on balance trans or when you use the conv. checks... just earn on purchases.

vamaggie
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I was told I couldn't earn reward dollars when purchasing a Disney package (through Disney vac). I used it last year to pay for my package through AAA & did earn points that way...
You also don't earn points on balance trans or when you use the conv. checks... just earn on purchases.

I thought you did earn the points even with the 0% finance. We booked a package through MJ and paid the deposit with the Disney Visa. I thought when I read my statement that the points for that deposit were added and there was also a line showing 0% interest on the deposit. Maybe someone can come by and let us know for sure?

Disney4
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I find it interesting the way they market different people for balance transfers. I have never used them but they offer me .9% or 1.99% for the life of the transfer all the time. I think the 8% for 14 is interesting what other rates are they offering people I wonder?

Nope - it was 0% intro APR with an ongoing 8% fixed after 14 months.

8% APR is a pretty smokin' rate for a rewards card . . .

Wells
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I thought you did earn the points even with the 0% finance. We booked a package through MJ and paid the deposit with the Disney Visa. I thought when I read my statement that the points for that deposit were added and there was also a line showing 0% interest on the deposit. Maybe someone can come by and let us know for sure?

We booked a trip through MJ last year, and we most definitely received the reward points, I'm sure because we paid it off and transfered the points to our reward card before we went.

cperry92380
05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok, maybe what I was told was that making the reservations directly thru Disney (not another TA) would not earn points... :confused: maybe...
If you can earn points by using MJ or someone like that, I'll be sure to use mine to book this trip!:party:

disneymom2000
05-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I used mine and booked directly through Disney and my reward points showed up on my card. I think whatever you put on your card, you get reward credit.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I got my card a few months ago. I was already planning our trip when a pre-screened / pre-approved offer arrived in the mail. Maybe luck, maybe something insiduous(sp?) where the disneyworld web site is watching closer than I think and they tell Chase. I do have a Chase MasterCard already so maybe they just wanted me to become more beholden to them.

Well, I agree that the perks are lacking. We could use a free stroller. But, oh, only DL in CA. Not WDW in FL. Oh well. Then again, these perks are valid through September or something in the fine print, right? Maybe something better will be offered at the parks in October (when we're going).

I got 10% or so fixed APR, with 0% for a year. But really, the 3% bal xfer fee bites - but that seems to be std issue w/ Chase cards. They just offered me Chase Freedom MasterCard and I read the terms. Yup, bal xfer fee - but capped at $75.

I am taking the in-laws (brother-, sister-, mother-, father-, nieces and nephews) so I'm paying the multiple reservations in chunks so that I never go over 1/2 my credit limit in some attempt to keep the credit score high. Don't want to show my card as ever having been maxed out - they do track the highest balance on cards on your report :secret:

I think rewards cards give you points/whatever as you pay the balance. If you are late in a month, those charges are usually forfeited. But if you carry a balance then I think you'd have to pay the card down to get the full points/etc. It was easy with my old Amex Gold b/c it was (mostly) due in full. Now I have Amex One (or One From Amex). Those points can sometimes be worth $0.005 and sometimes a full penny a piece. That's why I like One.

The Disney Rewards program isn't totally clear until you get the card and read the pages of terms and try and figure out what they mean. In the Chase Disney Rewards Visa case, the word "Byzantine" comes to mind. :D I'm too lazy to go over a few feet and get the terms, but I think I get points even for Disney vacation packages. I expect that for the first year when _everything_ is 0%, I still get points.

Lets say I do, so then I have to get _another_ card to redeem my Disney Dream Dollars [DDD] (don't confuse with typical Disney Dollars you can get and spend at the resorts). Once I transfer a _minimum_ of $20 DDD (which means spending a lot of real money) to this special card, then I can use it at a handful of places that probably don't have the best prices on Disney DVDs ... forget buying from Amazon.com for a great deal. Once I transfer my DDDs from my credit card account to the redemption card, they can't go back and if I loose the card, I loose the associated points. Many more irritations burried in the terms. Bottom line: maybe I'll get a nice perk at the parks as they change the offerings from time to time - but mainly I can book our trip and have 6 mos. at 0%. This card is staying in the drawer except for when we go to WDW.

Whew! Had to get that out of me. Couldn't type fast enough to keep up with my thought - a few points were dropped or compressed.

kswiz
05-24-2007, 11:55 PM
When the current FREE Disney Dining Plan promotion started being offered last month DV cardholders were able to start booking on a Monday; the promotion was not generally available to the public until Thursday.

For pin collectors there is a new pin issued about every three months-- must be a DV cardholder to purchase.

We regularly get coupons or coupon codes for 10%-20% off at Disney Stores and/or disneyshopping.com.

The Disney Rewards Visa Card web site provides more info about the various benefits.

For purchases we make each month we charge as much as we can to the card (and pay it off at the end of the month). This includes groceries, gas, utilities, medical payments, airline tickets, Disney Travel payments, etc. The $$$s can add up quickly this way.

Martin