PDA

View Full Version : Am I too scared

elmjimmlm
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
OK, just to let you know I am a big chicken. I don't ride the "scary" rides, eg...TOT, RRC...my family wants me to just go through the "pre-show" and then just "opt" out of the actual ride. They say I am missing a lot of fun and some very good visual effects. Should I do what they want or are they trying to get me inside and "push" me on a ride......signed, very, very big chicken.

mia_minnie07
05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I dont know how old you are but, I have a 10 yr.old son that was affraid:confused: of all the rides at one point. we have been going every year since he was little and it took him a while to go on things that were big and appeared to be scary. BUT, saying all that to say this DONT BE SCARED!!! you are missing out on great rides at least try them once if you choose to never go back on again at least you gave it a shot. Most likely you are going to love them and think to yourself "why was I so affraid in the first place". If its a matter of getting sick:sick: then I would be more selective on what to ride but if not then go for it your going to be fine.:mickey:

elmjimmlm
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Well.....uh.....I'm 35 and I suppose I'm an older chicken. Someone has to take pictures and wait with the little ones. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I'm just told that I'm missing a lot of visual effects prior to getting on the rides. I do ride SM, I don't know why, but I love that ride.

TIGGER17179
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I've tried to get my friend to do that too since she doesn't want to ride it. It really is cool inside and depending when you go at least you'd be inside in the cool air or warm air.
You can just tell the cast memeber that you don't want to ride and they will walk you around. I would hope that your family wouldn't push you to ride if you didn't want to.

kgoulash
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
i'm 33 (almost) and i'm the same way, i finally rode sm last trip and am contemplating either tot or btm next trip. my dh is pushing tot because he says i am missing out on so much.
so i'm going to try one new ride and take it from there, not much advice but a little support
:thumbsup:

brad192
05-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I used to be just like that! I still won't do the huge roller coasters, etc. that other parks have - an irrational fear of heights when out in the open. However, I have done almost every "scary" attraction at WDW, and have enjoyed them all. I just screwed up my courage, told myself I wouldn't have to do it a second time, and went for it! I now love ToT, SM, SpM, BTMRR, etc.

To quote a famous shoe manufacturer - "Just Do It!":thumbsup:

glenpreece
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
None of those rides really bother me. ToT is so tame now RnR is fine not one of my favs. The one that i hate is Dinosaur!! After riding that in the front row with my parents I never want to do it again.

BrerSchultzy
05-18-2007, 11:24 AM
You really are missing out on a lot when you miss out on the queues. And, no, I don't think your family would "push" you on to the ride...BUT:

The queues are designed to get you excited about the ride. After going through the RNR, TOT or EE queue, you can't help but want to ride. I think that may be what they're trying to do.

baby steps...baby steps

merlinmagic4
05-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, I'm traditionally a big chicken, too but I rode a couple of rides this past trip that I have declined in the past! I decided to be brave and try Splash Mountain and I loved it! Then I decided to do Soarin' although I am quite terrified of heights...loved it! So, maybe you could make up your mind to just do ONE ride that you normally wouldn't. That's what I did and I loved them. I don't know if I can ever do Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, or Rock 'n Rollercoaster, etc but you never know ;)

There are "Chicken Exits" all through Splash Mountain so you can get out but you just might change your mind (as long as it's YOUR decision):thumbsup:

MarkC
05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Agree with the previous posters-- every ride we was concerned about going on turned about to be awesome. Some of them we didn't go on when the kids were little, but now we go on RNR and ToT all the time. You'd be amazed how much more you will enjoy your trips once you try them. You only have to do them once. I'm not making this up-- have you thought of hypnosis? It could help you go on that first time, and after that you'll be a pro. Good luck.

MOJoe
05-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Why not try one, and then work your way up the WDW scary ladder. Individual tastes will vary, but i think the scary factor ladder would look like this.
Mild
Splash Mountain
Rockin Roller Coaster
Space Mountain
Dinosaur
Big Thunder Mountain
Expedition Everest
Tower of Terror
Scary
You may not get to the top - But you should at least try a few of these!

WDWFREAK101
05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Like i always say, Try it once and if you hate it, you don't have to ride it again, but you will have the satisfaction of being on a "Scary" Ride.

And remeber its Disney! :mickey:

They don't have scary rides, just anticipated rides.

Good Luck

P.S By anticipated rides, i mean rides that will get you anticapated. :thumbsup:

battle beast
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
You know, i was TOATALLY terrified to go on ToT, but I went on it and I was freaked right of of my pants.

But, I went on it again and again and I got to liking it.

As for RnRC, it's over before you really start to enjoy it.

So don't be a chicken. Try them out! YOu are missing some wonderful rides!!

And, if you really don't like them, you can say to yourself, "Hey, at least I tried them once."

But if you really don't want to go at all, go along for the wait, because it DTICNKS to wait outside by yourself! Trust me I know!:thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
05-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Until I got up the courage, I always would stand in line with my family and then just tell the cast member that I wasn't riding...never got any pressure to change my mind....The only ride that I have never rode is ToT...but the line and the hotel inside are great...It took ten years for me to get up the nerve for Space Mountain...now, I'll do it once or twice a visit. I normally haven't been going on R&R, but recently went and it was a much better ride than I remembered and the take-off didn't bother as it did before...Perhaps I was relaxed and not afraid...especially since I was riding with a first timer and didn't want to freak her out.

I agree with the rest...ease yourself into a new ride each time...you'll be pleasantly surprized...

:pirate:

LibertyTreeGal
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
To the original poster --

Don't let people encourage you to do the scary rides. If you're anything like me (and I have three years on you), then you have plenty of life examples of people encouraging you do do such things only to end up terrified and nauseated (or worse!). The truth of the matter is that not all things are fun for everyone. I HATE goofy's barnstormer, and can barely tolerate BTMRR -- I got talked into Splash Mountain once and I can still remember how awful I felt on that drop.

You know your limitations, don't be afraid to put your foot down just because some people don't understand that for people like us, waiting outside the ride browsing in a shop or eating a Mickey Bar is far more satisfying and doesn't put a damper on our trip. That being said, I plan on accompanying my boys through TOT because I love the show -- and I know they love me enough not to even ask me to go on the ride.

Mickey91
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Well.....uh.....I'm 35 and I suppose I'm an older chicken. Someone has to take pictures and wait with the little ones. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I'm just told that I'm missing a lot of visual effects prior to getting on the rides. I do ride SM, I don't know why, but I love that ride.

I'm 36. I am a big fraidy cat! I have been on BTM and don't really want to get on it again. I have been on SplM and love it but HATE the drop. I actually didn't mind RRC. It is really neat. But, to see the cool stuff, you actually have to ride it. I was terrified of going upside down. The feeling when you take off is what I don't like. Going through the loop is like going up and then back down. You never know you're upside down. The soundtrack is great and really helps take away your anxiety and makes it a lot of fun! Also, if you do choose to ride this one, keep your eyes open. There are a lot of fun things to see, and the ride is actually not as scary. I won't go near the TOT. It's the eerie special effects that scare me so I won't go there.:scared:

I guess you have to decide what you are willing to do and if you're curious enough about each ride to get on one time. I you have absolutely no desire and are not even curious about them, then tell your family, "No thank you! If I ride with you, when on earth would I shop??:spend::shop:"

LudwigVonDrake
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
If you don't want to ride those rides....DON'T! I love 'em all but if you are uncomfortable with them, that's fine. You can walk the queue and then "opt out". That way you'll see the pre-shows. No one can push you on a ride...check out the queues and see Disney "magic" at its best :tink:

dumbo ears
05-19-2007, 11:43 AM
well i don't know your family so I can't say if they'll push u on the ride or not. the preshow for both rides are the best preshows at mgm and maybe all WDW.

pook@wdw
05-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Although I don't use them but on a couple of attractions, I love the "chicken exits". ( and I'm 40...something) You get to enjoy the initial atmosphere whatever you're on w/o having to actually go on the ride. And as you know, the queue areas are as important to Disney as the ride itself. So, I say...use that "chicken exit" w/pride!:thumbsup:

Meteora
05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm surprised that people generally think Splash is milder than BTMR--I've been on Splash once and haven't gone again since and have absolutely no problem with BTMR.

But...for years, I wouldn't try Thunder Mountain. I thought, "Oooh, a roller coaster? No way." My friends coaxed me on a few years ago with the promise of lunch in air-conditioning afterwards (it was around 2 on an 80 degree day). And it really wasn't scary at all.

I agree with people's suggestions that you try one ride each trip, but also think there's nothing wrong with staying off a ride you really don't want to go on. If you're anything like me, the nervousness and stomachaches while you anticipated riding the ride and then while you actually waited on line for the dreaded ride would ruin a good part of your day. Not always worth it.

Here we go again...
05-19-2007, 04:54 PM
To the original poster --

You know your limitations, don't be afraid to put your foot down just because some people don't understand that for people like us, waiting outside the ride browsing in a shop or eating a Mickey Bar is far more satisfying and doesn't put a damper on our trip. That being said, I plan on accompanying my boys through TOT because I love the show -- and I know they love me enough not to even ask me to go on the ride.
I agree 100%

Do what you want to do and no more. The chicken exits are great. I have, over the years, talked myself into riding ToT, RnRc and Space Mountain. I will never ride ToT again... I hate the feeling of falling.

The chicken exits are great. If you do not want to go, you walk out the door... Your family might try to talk you into it, but the CMs will not. If you ask for the exit, you get it.

kakn7294
05-19-2007, 04:59 PM
If you don't want to ride, don't - and don't let anyone talk you into it. But, also don't miss the pre-shows if you can help it. ToT's pre-show is great and it's easy to opt out. They will take you in a real elevator (you will know the difference because you sit on the ride and stand on the traditional elevator) which will take you to the exit area of the ride.

katzctkpt
05-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Just give each ride a chance.
please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psychotekkie
05-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I agree that you should not go on rides if you don't want to. You are there to have FUN, not ANXIETY! :sick: If you explain that to your family, they should respect it. Sometimes us ride lovers think other people must not be having fun if they aren't on the rides. But let them know in no uncertain terms that you are having a blast.

However, if you are considering maybe giving something a little try, I totally agree with MOJoe's scary ladder. Start tame and move up only when you are comfortable. I would only add one thing to the scary ladder: Test Track, I think, is more mild than Splash Mtn, because there is no huge scary drop. (It's only one step scarier than Maelstrom) Maybe start with that.

Personally, I LOVE scary rides and huge rollercoasters, but I find ToT is too scary for me, so don't make that one your first one!

#1donaldfan
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Chicken? That's ok, don't worry about being "chichen" on certain rides, however your missing A LOT of "action" / background and the story line to each ride. Why not just try walking through with your fam / friends then at the "opt out" spot, say, "see ya at the other end" and just disappear into a gift shop? This way you'll get a taste of what's going on with each ride, with the small exception of the "thrill" of the ride. Try this you may just like it, and who knows you may just get on one day.......

vamaggie
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
From a family of chickens let me tell you there is PLENTY at WDW to keep one busy/entertained/magical w/o having to do a lot of the thrill rides. DH is not a rollercoaster person (Hates barnstormer) and I am not too into them either. That being said, I still ask DS if he wants to ride something and then go w him if he does (in 04 we did Splash, BTMR, Barmstormer). He will be 10 next trip and says he is not sure if he wants to do SM or not. Even though we do not do the "big" rides, we all still have a great time. Plus, someone has to stay with the little ones like you said (although I think DD will be the wild one and when she hits the height limits we will be on most stuff--she has no fear at all!)

johnO
05-20-2007, 12:23 PM
You need to put an end to this and "Just do it."
Yes, you should wait with them because the queues can be really neat. But go beyond and ride these rides. You're 35, take the "risk", I'm sure you'll be fine..........

snow_white1993
05-20-2007, 03:19 PM
i've never been to D.W but i'm a HUGE thrill ride fan, in your opinion, whats your favorite ride.

dolphinmickey9170
05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
To very, very big chicken....my husband stays with us through the line and takes, what we call, the "motion-sickness exit." He does not "do" rides, but does like the lines, atmosphere, etc. At least give that a try. But don't let them "push" you. That isn't fair to you. If you are afraid, it's okay. You'll know when you are ready.

RocknRoller94
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I know someone who happens to be a fraidy cat, but she loved RRC. If anyone tries to get you on it, don't fret. It's probably the tamest coaster at WDW.:mickey:

Bluesky481
07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
What would you be doing if you didn't go with them? If you'd just be waiting for them outside, I say go for it! There is a lot of cool theming to see while waiting in line for most of the "big rides". I would hope your family would respect your wishes if you chose to not ride...but who knows? maybe the "pre-show" will get you so excited you'll want to join them. My best advice is to be open to the possibility of a new experience...all the rides are incredible!:D

battlefield2freak
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
i would go through the line up until they get on thats what i do on the TOT and RRC. they are right the themeing is very good through out the TOT line

GrmGrninGost
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
You will never know unless you try! At least walk through the pre-show areas. You are missing a lot of the classic Disney detail! As far as riding? I would suggest RnR if you want to try one! The awesome soundtrack seems to keep your mind occupied to some extent! My DW rides it and she hates roller coasters! :coaster:

jszczur5
07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually taking in the pre-show and then opting out sounds like a great idea. So much of the Disney ride experience takes place in the queue area and the pre-show. I love the ToT hotel setting. The grounds and the lobby really make you feel like it's 70 years ago. The boiler room is amazing, and it's worth the trip through just to see the creepy elevator attendants. Having gone through the queue area and the pre-show, you just might find that you build up the nerve to try a scary ride, even if only once. If you try a ride and hate it, at least you'll know that you tried it, and that your fears are legitimate. I'm pretty sure, to date, no one has died of fright at a Disney park.

emmingo
07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah, like everyone says, don't take any risk that you don't feel comfortable with. My mom, a few trips ago, got pushed into going on ToT and almost passed out. She regretted it, though she did buy the picture to prove that she went! ToT is pretty intense as a ride, and totally unpredictable, but things like BTM...those are definitely not bad. I think her rule is that if people are taking little kids on, she can go, but if there's no one on the ride under 10 or 12, she opts out of the ride itself. It works, since she says she did the ride, but didn't really "do" the ride...:)

Polynesian Dweller
07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
I never admitted it to my DW but for years I couldn't make myself go on RNR. I couldn't stand the thought of being in a loop in the dark, and then there was the acceleration. But, last year I finally did it. And I loved it.

The important thing is that I worked up to it myself and made my own decision to do it. That way it was enjoyable.

So, try to work your way up to it. You WILL love the rides. But I would say, you make the decision when you are ready (and yes you may have to push yourself a bit) but I'd bet that you will love all the rides when you make the decision. It is Disney, and the rides are not as scary in reality (on the ride) as they are in your head (before the ride). That's coming from an expert in chicken.

caryrae
07-28-2007, 09:28 AM
i'm 33 (almost) and i'm the same way, i finally rode sm last trip and am contemplating either tot or btm next trip. my dh is pushing tot because he says i am missing out on so much.
so i'm going to try one new ride and take it from there, not much advice but a little support
:thumbsup:

If you can ride SM you can ride BTMR. In my opinion BTMR is a pretty tame rollercoaster. I too don't like to ride RNR and TOT but I did try them at least once, RNR twice. I am glad I at least tried them because if I remember right the TOT ride is pretty cool except for the drop of course:sick:.

alilprincessmom
07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, I LOVE thrill rides, so my opinion may not be worth much, but here it goes! I am going to tell you a little story about my mother. Many years ago, my grandparents took the whole family to WDW for Christmas. Now, my mom gets serious motion sickness, I mean to the point that she gets sick on a playground swing. Well, she didn't want to go on Pirates (not a good example for you I know), because of the drop. Well the whole family pushed her because we wanted her to enjoy herself and not miss out on anything. She went, and yes, that little drop made her sick for the rest of the day! She completely regretted going on the ride, but, was glad she got to see the queue. Okay, I said all of that to say this, don't let anyone talk you into anything you don't want to do. Yes, it's Disney, and no, IMHO NOTHING is scary at Disney, but that is my opinion. Why ruin an entire day, just to satisfy someone elses wants. But, if you have the opportunity to go through the queue and then escape through the "chicken" exit, DO IT. That you will not regret.

IloveDisney71
07-28-2007, 05:44 PM
I have ridden every scary ride at Disney except the "scary" version of Mission Space. I love every ride EXCEPT TOT. I stupidly let my oldest child talk me into riding it because I hate large drops (even though I love Splash Mountain). I wish I had never ridden TOT - I thought I was going to have a heartache and die before they finally dropped us the 6th time! :( If you are not comfortable riding scary rides, don't let anyone talk you into it! BUT I highly recommend going through the ride queues. The themeing for TOT, RRC, EE, etc... is really neat. I've actually gone back through TOT (since my near death experience):) and took the "chicken" exit. The CM's didn't make me feel stupid or anything and even laughed with me about my previous experience.

CuteAsMinnie
07-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, I've always been a huge chicken. Refused to ride ToT and RRC. Don't mind SM tho cuz it's mostly in the dark and I can't see where I'm goin tho (go figure). This trip however, I'm cashing in my "chicken chips" and riding everything. Once I turned 40, I just don't spend time worring about stuff that I know I'm not gonna die from. I will survive ToT and RR and probably will have a bit of fun too! I HOPE:ack:

Seasonscraps
07-29-2007, 03:19 AM
OK, just to let you know I am a big chicken. I don't ride the "scary" rides, eg...TOT, RRC...my family wants me to just go through the "pre-show" and then just "opt" out of the actual ride. They say I am missing a lot of fun and some very good visual effects. Should I do what they want or are they trying to get me inside and "push" me on a ride......signed, very, very big chicken.

I would wait with the family so you can see the pre shows. They can't make you go on the ride and it seems like they really want you to experience the spirit of the ride by waiting with them.

jenfriend
07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
You will miss a short movie - that's it. We did a baby pass and I was told it wasn't bad (Tower of Terror). It was NOT fun for me. I hated the free-fall drops (PLURAL)!!! DH thought that the photo of me freaking out was hilarious. I did like Dinosaur at AK though. I haven't tried the RRC or SM. OH YEAH, I also freaked on the Mission:SPACE. I looked at my helmet so I didn't get sick. Lady next to me did. Even DH won't try that one again.

wedway76
07-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I am 48 years old. I have tried every ride in WDW at lest once. I don’t ride TOT and RNR simply because I don’t enjoy them. I don’t enjoy the feeling of being scared out of my wits. In my younger days I had to be macho and I forced myself to ride everything. I don’t do that anymore. I go on vacation to have fun. Why should I do something I don’t enjoy? My DW and DS love that kind of stuff. I’ll wait our front in a shady spot with their hats and bags and people watch. To me that’s a LOT more enjoyable than riding.

Jodi
07-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I am 42 and the only ride I don't particularily care for is TOT, but, I have tried it. I guess I don't like the element of surprise...not knowing when or how many times the elevator will drop. Plus, DH and DD's head to that ride first and even if I did go on it, I would not want to feel "icky" the rest of the day. I do go on ALL other rides, Love RRC, SM, etc. My suggestion, give it a try....maybe you will love it, maybe not, but, at least you tried. ;)