PDA

View Full Version : Did my pre op today.... I changed my mind. I want to go to Disney instead!

Here we go again...
05-17-2007, 11:24 PM
This surgery is getting a little too close for me and I am getting scared. I am such a big baby about having surgery. Don't ask why... I really don't know what my problem is. 4 more days and I will have a new knee.

I met with the doctor for the 'what could go wrong' talk. I did not like this one. There is a good chance that I might have to have a blood transfusion after surgery. I can use family and friends, so if any of you live around here and have o positive blood feel free to drop by and give me a pint.

We talked about all of the stuff that could kill me but that did not bother me as much as the infection part. They said that sometimes people get an infection in the bone during surgery. If that happens, they have to remove the joint and replace it with an antibiotic cement. They can put a new knee in after a couple of weeks. So how do you walk???? I am really freaked out about this....

Bret offered to take me to DW with him and Sherrie. I know he was just being nice, but I am thinking about crashing his party. Jeanne are you ready to crash a trip????? :D

Beast_fanatic
05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
They always describe the worst things that can happen (to cover themselves), but that doesn't mean it will happen to you!

Lots of :pixie: to get you through the anticipation and the actual surgery!

Think about how much better WDW will be once your knee has been replaced. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
05-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Angel, I don't blame you for being nervous - if I had to choose b/w surgery & a Disney trip, I'd be all for Disney, too! :D
But seriously - I'm sure everything will go well... I used to work in the OR, and my specialty was ortho - I used to do total knee and total hip replacements all the time. The sterile technique they use is unbelievable, and although the risk for infection is very real, it doesn't happen a lot. I've seen so many people do really well afterwards and been SO happy they had the surgery - their quality of life changed dramatically. Your doctor probably just wanted to make sure that he told you all the risks to be sure you completely understood - our docs here where I work now do the same thing before moms-to-be get their epidurals, and the risks they have to tell them about are so frightening and sound awful - but they have to tell them, esp. for today's liability problems. So - and I'm sure he told you this - he has to "scare you" just to be sure you understand what could happen - but it probably won't. Nice, huh?? :blush:

I am sending as much "safe surgery" :pixie: and "antimicrobial" :pixie: as I can - I'm sure you'll be fine, and so glad once it's over! You're next Disney trip will be so much more enjoyable b/c of it... :thumbsup:

Christine
05-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh Angel, I am so sorry you are scared.

Pre-op is awful...just getting my gallbladder removed two weeks ago, they practically asked me what kind of flowers I wanted on my casket!

Rhonda and Blythe are right...think of how good Disney will be with no pain and the ability to walk! And they do just HAVE to say all those things. But truly, the odds of those things happening are so small. The nurse in my pre-op told me that I am in more danger driving my car down the highway then having surgery. Remember that!!!

I PROMISE you, you are not being a baby. Surgery is scary. But it will be over with.

I will be praying for peace for you. Please take care and let us know how everything goes!

MsMin
05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
:pixie: for your surgery and your nerves.
Sorry, if I were a match with your blood type I'd run over. I have AB+ we don't have any O's in the family. I know ppl who donate their own blood but don't remember what the time frame is-- I know you have to do it weeks before surgery.
Get better and I'll race you to Splash Mountain next time we're in WDW together:thumbsup:
If you need anything call...

HndrdPrcnt
05-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Angel -

You will be covered in prayers my friend!! Surgery is always scary, at least I know that mine was. Not the surgery itself, of course, as you are put under. However, the countdown to the surgery was really scary for me.

Know that you have a heavenly Father who is looking after you and wants the best for you! He can be there for you every step of the way, you just have to ask.

God Bless!

DisneyDudet
05-18-2007, 02:08 AM
I have O pos blood.. but I'm not such a great candidate... my blood is thin and comes out fast! Therefore, I pass out when I donate.

The risks are very rare, which I'm sure they told you. I work with mostly heart surgery patients (think: bypasses, cardiac caths, etc), and infection is very real, but rare. At my hospital, they actually give a few doses of antibiotics after surgery. Not all hospitals do, but we do.

You'll do great. Just be calm and have a positive attitude!

mrsgaribaldi
05-18-2007, 04:12 AM
they practically asked me what kind of flowers I wanted on my casket!

Oh my God, this is so funny!!! I almost fell off the chair laughing:thumbsup:

But listen Angel, everyone is right. They have to tell you all the risks but they are all slim to none. I'm sure that you will be fine and be running around Disney in no time. Here's extra strong and sterile :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for you. I will keep you in my prayers too. Let us know how you do please:mickey:

pogo
05-18-2007, 07:29 AM
There is a good chance that I might have to have a blood transfusion after surgery. I can use family and friends, so if any of you live around here and have o positive blood feel free to drop by and give me a pint.I have O positive and would be happy to fly down and give you a pint if you need it. ;)

Oh my God, this is so funny!!! I almost fell off the chair laughing:thumbsup:

I was laughing too ! Christine has a way with words, doesn't she. :funny:

Angel, you will be just fine. Here's a little :pixie: for good measure. :D

conorsmom2000
05-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Angel, I wish I was closer - I have O positive and I would gladly share it with you! I hate needles, but I would do it for you! :thumbsup: Can I fed ex it to you? :)

Everyone else is right - they have to cover the bad, just in case. Don't focus on that - focus on the positive outcome! In no time at all you will be walking without pain - that will make all of this worth it! I've known 3 people to have knee replacement surgery this year alone (one was a double) - not one problem with any of them and they are all so much happier now!

You have tons of prayers and pixie dust coming your way from your friends here - so, all will be fine!! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Mickey'sGirl
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Good luck with everything Angel. If you are really nervous, try to have another pre-op with your doctor perhaps? I am thinking of you and wish you a speedy recovery!! :pixie:

ElenitaB
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Angel, I understand the pre-op jitters. Your thread title had me falling out of the chair! :rotfl:

The one good thing about going under is that you can put mentally yourself in your happy place while everyone else in the room actually has to be there working! One surgery I "went to the beach" and when I came out of anesthesia that was the only memory I had of the whole thing. So send yourself to WDW!

We're thinking of you and pulling for you (but not your leg... at least not this week ;) ).

Please have your DH update us on your progress.

Big hugs and lots of :pixie: !

SBETigg
05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Focus on all the things that could go right! Stay positive. Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. You'll be back at WDW feeling so much better before you know it. :pixie:

Flower
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Angel,

Best of luck with your surgery:pixie:! I am sure you will be at WDW in no time!

SodaPopMGK
05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Best of luck with your surgery, remember they have plenty of meds to help with anxiety before the surgery.:thumbsup: Sending you :pixie: :pixie: and prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

BrerSchultzy
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
You'll be great! Heck, with all the pixie dust and prayers gettin' sent up there, I'd be surprised if your knee didn't just up and heal itself. My parents friend Mel had knee surgery two years ago, and it changed his life for the better. He had been to Disney World with my family the year before, and couldn't get around too well...now he's talking about going again, so he can do more stuff!

Think about how much better life will be after all this! Stay positive. And remember the phrase "I'm under doctor's orders to avoid stress". It'll take you far.

Nascfan
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Angel, like so many have said, they have to give you the worst case scenario, to protect themselves if nothing else. Try not to worry, I know you'll be fine. Prayers and :pixie: headed your way!

mtown71
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh Angel, I am so sorry you are scared.

Pre-op is awful...just getting my gallbladder removed two weeks ago, they practically asked me what kind of flowers I wanted on my casket!

Rhonda and Blythe are right...think of how good Disney will be with no pain and the ability to walk! And they do just HAVE to say all those things. But truly, the odds of those things happening are so small. The nurse in my pre-op told me that I am in more danger driving my car down the highway then having surgery. Remember that!!!

I PROMISE you, you are not being a baby. Surgery is scary. But it will be over with.

I will be praying for peace for you. Please take care and let us know how everything goes!

Christine is right...I just went through having my tonsils taken out 2 weeks ago. I was scared to death too. The staff was wonderful & I made it through with flying colors! I will pray for you & I am sure it will all be fine. Think of how much better you will be able to walk around WDW with a new knee! Prayers & pixie dust heading your way! Good luck!

aprilisis
05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself for being scared about surgery- I think it is totally natural. I will be thinking of you. Good luck with the surgery & here is a truckload of :pixie: for a speedy recovery.

Here we go again...
05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I am sending as much "safe surgery" :pixie: and "antimicrobial" :pixie: as I can - I'm sure you'll be fine, and so glad once it's over! You're next Disney trip will be so much more enjoyable b/c of it... :thumbsup:
My doctor told me some of the things they do to help prevent infection so I am sure I will be okay. It is just the big baby in me talking.

You gave me a BIG laugh! I needed that!!

Get better and I'll race you to Splash Mountain next time we're in WDW together:thumbsup:
Now we have to plan a trip!

Angel -
You will be covered in prayers my friend!! Surgery is always scary, at least I know that mine was. Not the surgery itself, of course, as you are put under. However, the countdown to the surgery was really scary for me.
Know that you have a heavenly Father who is looking after you and wants the best for you! He can be there for you every step of the way, you just have to ask.
God Bless!
You are such an amazing person. With everything you have been through you are here with Prayers for me. You have really put things in perspective for me... thank you.

Thanks to everyone for helping to keep my spirits up. I am ready for this and can't wait for Monday about 1:00... when it will be all over.

tinkerbellybutton
05-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Angel,
As you know I haven't been on much lately and actually only signed on for just a minute now but had to reply to your message. I completely understand where you are right now and to be honest, my fear was my worst enemy (but totally normal) :) I am here for you if you need me and will say many prayers and send lots of pixie dust for you :pixie: I believe in the power of prayer and just general good thoughts and you have lots of us here pulling for you! Please keep us posted on how you're doing. I'll be thinking of you. Take care!

SgtTigger
05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Bret offered to take me to DW with him and Sherrie. I know he was just being nice, but I am thinking about crashing his party. Jeanne are you ready to crash a trip????? :D

Oh now you are getting help from Jeanne................................

No fair teaming up.......

you will be fine.................

:cop: :tigger:

Piglet822
05-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Yep, I'm ready. My bags are packed. Let's go. Are we there yet???????

Donald A
05-18-2007, 11:00 PM
We talked about all of the stuff that could kill me but that did not bother me as much as the infection part. They said that sometimes people get an infection in the bone during surgery. If that happens, they have to remove the joint and replace it with an antibiotic cement. They can put a new knee in after a couple of weeks. So how do you walk???? I am really freaked out about this....

As a surgeon (in fact, I am operating tomorrow), I will explain that your doctor is giving you the risks of the surgery. This is called "informed consent." You consent to the surgery after being informed of the risks and alternatives.

I struggle with the happy medium between discussing the surgery risks and encouraging the patient that I believe the benefits outweigh the risks.

We live in a legalistic society. Patients can get a poor result and claim they were never told that this could happen and even pursue a lawsuit. Will it happen? The risk is probably quite low.

Surgery is scary and I hope you get great care. I'll join others on here in praying that you have comfort and the doctors have wisdom as you undergo this.

merlinmagic4
05-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck!! You will be so relieved when it is over. I think Tom Petty said it best when he said, "the waiting is the hardest part.........." Let us know how it goes.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Lots of good thoughts for you!! I am sure everything will go great and you will be feeling 100% better soon!! Just think of all that walking pain free you will be able to do!!

pianobabe
05-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I just wanted to tell you I was thinking about you and my prayers are with you. It may be short notice, but I can mail you the mosquito that bit me if you still need some blood.

Rhonda

ElenitaB
05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Don't know what time you're heading to the hospital today, but did want to tell you that we're all praying for you and sending lots of positive thoughts and :pixie:

princessjojo
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Angel :hi: -

Just remember, if you and your daughter can do it safely, then surely the docs can (haha). This is my FAVORITE to observe because of the vast breakthroughs in medicine. Going from bad to great in a matter of just a few short weeks if that long...

As you mentioned the infection is the real issue, but it sounds like you are currently healthy otherwise. Many times the patients who contract infections are those who already have some infection already present. My husband's grandfather has been scheduled twice now, but the doc has had to cancel because of an underlying bone infection that had to be treated. If it were up to him, he would have had the surgery anyway, but I pretty much laid it out on the table that if he did it with his degree of infection, it could be the operating room table then the morticians' table if he chose to do it then. (He listened to me). But he was a very rare case as well. He is also diabetic with a mild heart condition and the diabetes presented just a big of issue as the surgry did with his infection.

You will do fine. And before you know it, you will be hitting the parks full speed ahead.

Just think of all the things you will be able to do after the surgery that you can't do now. You sound strong and healthy and able to take on anything. I can't wait to hear how the new knees' doing after the surgery.

Prayers and :pixie: and :angel: to watch over you. Again, you'll be fine

ElenitaB
05-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I heard from Bobby, Angel's DH, a few minutes ago. She's out of surgery and in recovery (though he hasn't seen her yet). She did very well! :thumbsup:

So on that note... Angel, here's a fresh batch of :pixie: with super-duper rapid recovery powers! Be a "good patient," listen to your :doctor: and :nurse: , do you P/T, and we'll start planning to have those :marg: in October!

Christine
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh I am so glad to have this update! I have been thinking of her all day!

Way to go Angel!!! :thumbsup:

tinkerbellybutton
05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the update Ellen.

Angel, here's a new batch of pixie dust :pixie: :pixie: Glad to hear that the surgery went well :thumbsup: and I will continue to pull for you to have a full and quick recovery. Take care of yourself!!

SgtTigger
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I heard from Bobby, Angel's DH, a few minutes ago. She's out of surgery and in recovery (though he hasn't seen her yet). She did very well!

So on that note... Angel, here's a fresh batch of :pixie: with super-duper rapid recovery powers! Be a "good patient," listen to your :doctor: and :nurse: , do you P/T, and we'll start planning to have those :marg: in October!

Ellen thaks for posting..... I also heard from Bobby and he told me the same thing.... Now she better listen to the :doctor: and :nurse: because I will drive over there and get on her case........... And believe me she does not want me and Taylor to team up.... HAHAHA

Piglet822
05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know, Ellen :hug:

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the updates Bret and Ellen! Here's some super duper :pixie: for you Angel!! :thumbsup:

MsMin
05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Just sending more :pixie: for your recovery and to let you know, life has been crazy here but I've been thinking about you!!

pianobabe
05-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm so glad you are doing well. I have been thinking and praying for you over the past several days. Please keep everyone posted.:thumbsup:

Here we go again...
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,
I just wanted to post a quick message to let everyone know that I am still alive... in lots of pain though.

I had my knee replacement 1 week ago today... I got out of the hospital very quickly... maybe a little too soon. I was doing so well and feeling so good that I came home Thursday evening. I went to therapy Friday but have been at home doing therapy on my own ever since. I was not prepared for the pain and I know I am not pushing myself hard enough. I go back to therapy tomorrow and every day for the next 5 weeks. Hopefully I will get where I need to be soon.

I have a hard time sitting at the computer because I a can not get comfortable. Hopefully I will be back on line soon...

Oh yeah, 1 more thing. I lost another 1.6 pounds! So far I have lost a total of 14.2!!

ElenitaB
05-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm so glad to see you here! I've been looking for you... sorry you're in pain but consider it a speed bump on the road to recovery.

Still thinking of you and sending you a fresh batch of :pixie: !

MsMin
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow 14.2 lbs, if you do the either knee that would be 28.4 lbs :razz: Seriously, that's great. Glad to see you posting again. I went to P.F. Chang's Sat. and thought of you.
I can drive you when you crash Bret's trip. Hey, you have the bigger vehicle, we can fill it up!!
Where should we stay??? :plot:

kakn7294
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry that you are in such pain still. Hopefully that will soon be a distant memory and you'll be up and around and as good as new. More pixie dust coming your way! :pixie:

SgtTigger
05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I can drive you when you crash Bret's trip. Hey, you have the bigger vehicle, we can fill it up!!
Where should we stay??? :plot:

She already told me she was going to be here when we leave...................

Angel I hope you feel better real soon......

pianobabe
05-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I am so glad your surgery went well. Physical Therapy is a wonderful thing, even though it doesn't feel that way when you are doing it. I am sorry you are still hurting, but that will get better too. Great job on the weight loss, that is a real toughie right there.

Rhonda

Here we go again...
05-29-2007, 02:24 PM
She already told me she was going to be here when we leave...................

Angel I hope you feel better real soon......

What time should we be at your house???
I am all packed and ready to go!

I made it through therapy today and feel a little better now. I think not doing enough over the last few days actually made it worse for me.

I get my staples out tomorrow and hope to get into the pool soon. Thanks everyone for the support!!! :cloud9:

SgtTigger
05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
What time should we be at your house???
I am all packed and ready to go!

I get my staples out tomorrow and hope to get into the pool soon. Thanks everyone for the support!!! :cloud9:

What time..... what time....... Lets see......

Oh look a bunny........
:bolt:

Hey you want me to come over I can take those staples out for you........ I could save you money.........

MsMin
05-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Angel, I have some sports med under my belt, I can help you with the therapy and we can leave from here (since I'm closer to you)and check into their room before they get there..:thedolls:hmmm :blush: do you want to be Bret or Sherrie.

Here we go again...
05-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Angel, I have some sports med under my belt, I can help you with the therapy and we can leave from here (since I'm closer to you)and check into their room before they get there..:thedolls:hmmm :blush: do you want to be Bret or Sherrie.

You can be Sherrie since you have the dark hair. I don't weigh as much as Bret, but I can puff out my chest and play dumb.... that should work.

I would love to see the look on his face if we were there when he walked in!:plot::funny:

I am off to theralpy and to get these staples out!! :joy:

MsMin
05-30-2007, 01:29 PM
You can be Sherrie since you have the dark hair. I don't weigh as much as Bret, but I can puff out my chest and play dumb.... that should work.
I would love to see the look on his face if we were there when he walked in!:plot::funny:

:funny: :rotfl:
You gotta love him but nothing is more fun than playing a prank on the prankster:secret:

Nascfan
05-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Hang in there Angel, and good luck with your continued recovery. :pixie:

SgtTigger
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
:funny: :rotfl:
You gotta love him but nothing is more fun than playing a prank on the prankster:secret:

Ok you all do know I have not left yet RIGHT.....................

:fresh:

MsMin
05-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Of course we know Mr. 2 days and 12 hours..... It wouldn't be fun if we were "chatting" behind your back!! :razz:

SgtTigger
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Of course we know Mr. 2 days and 12 hours..... It wouldn't be fun if we were "chatting" behind your back!! :razz:

Ok but it is now 2 days 9 hours for those keeping time.......

Piglet822
05-30-2007, 11:08 PM

And don't forget that I'm already down here waiting for you........................

Here we go again...
05-31-2007, 06:17 AM

Taylor still wants to know when you are bringing her to Mouse Surplus...
That child must have fallen on her head... she really likes you. She keeps talking about how she can't wait to go back when you and Sherrie are there. She is going to try to talk you into coming back in July.

SgtTigger
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
And don't forget that I'm already down here waiting for you........................

I have not forgotten............

Taylor still wants to know when you are bringing her to Mouse Surplus...
That child must have fallen on her head... she really likes you. She keeps talking about how she can't wait to go back when you and Sherrie are there. She is going to try to talk you into coming back in July.

I cant even get the to E-mail me back much less find out where they are now......
Hey Taylor is a great kid she knows good people when see meets them.....
July huh..... I dont think I can get off work then................