PDA

View Full Version : Shark Reef?

jrpersinger
05-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone done it? Whats your opinion? Me and my 7 year old DD are planning to do it.

Also, is their any other things similar to this anywhere else at WDW? With dolphins or sting rays?

TIA!

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
You snorkle in cold, cold water.

It's a straight path across the "pool" with sharks - you can't stop or dive down.

They give you some brief lessons before you go in.

It is fun! :snorkel: :diver:

Jen66
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
it is really cold, and pretty neat! We took both kids twice when they were 8 & 10, and they loved it!
It is not like snorkeling in the Bahamas, you are herded through quickly in a group, but we still really enjoyesd it.

pook@wdw
05-19-2007, 04:38 PM
The water is VERY cold! :freeze: You ARE in the tank w/real sharks!(though they are not the aggressive type) You will receive instructions before you start. You just snorkel across a small pool while observing the activity beneath you. No kicking or splashing, just easy paddling. It's short, cold, and I LOVE IT!!! I will not miss it in my future trips to WDW. Tip: don't forget your waterproof camera. It takes great pics underwater!:thumbsup:

thejens
05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you have to pay extra for this or is it included?

GrumpyFan
05-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Do you have to pay extra for this or is it included?

No extra cost involved, it's included as part of park admission.

If you're not up for the swim, they have an underwater viewing area you can go in.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-24-2007, 07:31 PM
We told my 4 year old nephew about it and he wants to try it. At least as of now he does. We'll see what happens when we actually get there.
There is something about the temp of the water that keeps the sharks away from you. I saw a program on it but don't remember exactly what it was. They are in warm water and won't swim into the cold water maybe? Plus, they are nurse sharks I think, which aren't supposed to be aggressive. Plus I'm sure they are used to people and I'm sure they're kept well fed. At least I would hope so.

crazypoohbear
05-25-2007, 03:13 AM
It's very cold water and a short swim to the other side. Maybe about 15 feet.

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
It says in the information I found that you must be an experienced swimmer to do this. I also see you can get lifejackets to wear. My daughter loves the water and would not be afraid to go in the deep if she had a lifejacket and could get herself across a 15 foot area if needed, but she's not a very experienced swimmer. I'd love opinions from someone who has done this as to the level of swimming expertise necessary. Thanks!

jrpersinger
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
We actually ended up doing it. We did it with a 7 year old (half fish/half kid, lol) and a 5 year old not so great swimmer. The only trouble they had really was how cold the water was. It does take a getting used to. Its 68 degrees. The other thing was not being able to kick with your feet. That was alittle hard being a persons natural reflex in water is to kick. Your not allowed to dive down. Basically, you just float across the top. There is a "reef" in the middle of the tank that you can rest on if you get tired also.

Overall, we enjoyed it. Its not something I would wait in a line for. But when we go back if there is no wait like this time, we wil definatly do it again.

countrycharmer
07-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Water is very cold, and it is for swimmers and non-swimmers....they have someone who will swim beside you to "assist" if needed.

We went with two experienced swimmers, one so-so child and one drama mama who used a vest. All made it across safely and enjoyed it!

mickeys_princess
07-15-2007, 09:45 AM
How deep is the water?

AstareGod
07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Water is 10 feet 6 inches deep. There is a dropoff in the beginning where you get ready to go, and that is about 2 feet deep. Also, it's salt water, so floating is easy, plus they do have life jackets you can borrow and then return after you swim across.

DisneyFanatic11
07-17-2007, 01:47 PM
My mum loved it, but I was petrified of it. I couldn't get the thought of swimming with sharks out of my head (real fear of sharks).

But, don't listen to me. My mum did it a second time around and loved it.

There's a lot of cute little fish swimming around, and the tiny sharks (yes, they are small), just stay on the bottom. They give you a snorkle, mask, and a life jacket. It's not that long, but you'll enjoy it. :mickey:

PeterPanFan
07-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I love it but as everyone says its cold. Not cool or chilly its down right freezing!

jszczur5
07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I went on it in late August 2 years ago - well, sort of. After waiting 20 minutes in line, and donning the float jacket and mask and snorkel, I stepped on to the ledge of the water ... and stepped right back out. That water is cold!! 65 degrees, I believe. I was very thin at the time (not so much now), and started shaking from the cold. My 9 year old son, however, rode it all afternoon. He reports that he did it "like 15 times", but I'm sure that's a bit of exaggeration. Last year, again that was just about the only thing he did at Typhoon Lagoon. He can't wait for this year's trip.

momof3boysinTN
07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
We carried an 11 and 6 year old boy through and I would not do it again with the same age kids. you cant kick at all and the lifeguards are yelling the entire time not to kick and it was VERY COLD! I think older kids who are very good swimmers would be fine and I would put the life jackets on no matter how good they could swim. If their masks need adjusting you can only stop in the one spot in the middle to do anything. So it would really depend on the child etc!:mickey:

Clotho
07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I am having a hard time imagining sticking a "community snorkel" into my mouth. I mean, I know they must sanitize them between uses somehow, but that is a pretty intimate piece of equipment in my mind. Not at all like the 3-D glasses for the movies y'know?

Does anyone do it without snorkels? Like, just a mask and holding your breath and coming up for air when you need to?

mainemajor
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Like everyone else has said it is cold. BUT it's a ton of fun. You do not want to skip this. It's a must on any visit to TL

Christine
07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I am having a hard time imagining sticking a "community snorkel" into my mouth. I mean, I know they must sanitize them between uses somehow, but that is a pretty intimate piece of equipment in my mind. Not at all like the 3-D glasses for the movies y'know?

Does anyone do it without snorkels? Like, just a mask and holding your breath and coming up for air when you need to?

That is pretty gross, isn't it? I'm a germaphobe and don't know if I could handle the thought of that either!

steamboat willy
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
:
It says in the information I found that you must be an experienced swimmer to do this. I also see you can get lifejackets to wear. My daughter loves the water and would not be afraid to go in the deep if she had a lifejacket and could get herself across a 15 foot area if needed, but she's not a very experienced swimmer. I'd love opinions from someone who has done this as to the level of swimming expertise necessary. Thanks!

OK... :waycool: here's the scoop from a good swimmer and scuba diver. :dolphin:
The water is cool because the fish need it that temperture. You are given a minute to set on the side or stand in the water where you need to splash the water onto your body to get it ready for the gentle plunge into the shark pool.
REMEMBER....it's a SALT WATER tank, :crab: you float in SALT WATER, more dense, even sinkers can float. I Do! The sharks are non-aggressive :shark: and stick close to the bottom. You swim on the top. Do take a waterproof cheap camera for this one. :turtle:
You acutally can float across due to the salt water, but if in doubt, jackets are available. NOt sure of an age requirement? I went throught twice and lagged behind the second time, what are they gonna do? Feed you to the fish! :fishbowl:

AstareGod
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey guys :)

There is no age or height requirement for Shark Reef, but swimming experience and snorkeling experience is definitely recommended. Life vests aren't required, but do make some people feel more safe and secure.

The water is 68 degrees, pretty chilly for most people, but you get used to it.

Also, we do sanitize the snorkels (and masks) after each use. You don't have to use the snorkel and can breathe above water, but wearing a mask is required (remember, it's salt water!)

Clotho
07-24-2007, 02:16 AM
That is pretty gross, isn't it? I'm a germaphobe and don't know if I could handle the thought of that either!

I am not even close to a germaphobe, but I still have this ick out about this particularly.

ANd thanks AStareGod, for the inside info!

PeterPanFan
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
As for the snorkel. I believe the part that goes in your mouth is new. I cant remember its been a while.

gregburg
07-28-2007, 02:09 AM
A couple other tips:

The water is about 75 to 78 degrees. I wear my dive watch when going through. Reason it feels so cold is that the water in the rest of the water park is around 90. A 10-15 degree drop in the water temperature will feel pretty extreme. But you will get used to it.

You can bring your own mask and snorkle. We do that with our family since our masks fit better and we get to use our snorkles which also work better for us.

If you have never snorkled before, get a mask and snorkle and try them in a pool first. Trying them for the first time while watching fish, in colder water, and in 10 feet of water is not a recipe for success.

Our kids at age 7,10,12 all have done it and enjoyed it, but we took the above steps to make it a better experience. In fact last year they tried the Scuba Assisted Snorkle at Shark Reef and did very well.

10 more days!
-Greg

Fantasmic
07-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I'd also say that the length of the "pool" is a lot longer than 15'
I'd be more inclined to say it's pushing 50' but I haven't been to TL for a good 3 years.

It's a great experience, they definatly santise the snorkels too, I have a recollection of a strong smell of disenfectant!

dolphinmickey9170
07-29-2007, 04:39 PM
We love the shark reef, the water is cold, but you get used to it really quick. As far as with dolphins, there is a tour at Epcot, not the scuba kind, and you get into the water with the dolphin. There is a trip report that has a review on it
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1371125#post1371125

Hope this helps.

jszczur5
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Clotho;1365102]I am having a hard time imagining sticking a "community snorkel" into my mouth. I mean, I know they must sanitize them between uses somehow, but that is a pretty intimate piece of equipment in my mind. Not at all like the 3-D glasses for the movies y'know?

All of the equipment is very well sanitized. You can smell (and even mildly taste) the disinfectant. I'm a bit of a germophobe myself, and I felt quite comfortable putting the snorkel in my mouth.

Clotho
07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
All of the equipment is very well sanitized. You can smell (and even mildly taste) the disinfectant. I'm a bit of a germophobe myself, and I felt quite comfortable putting the snorkel in my mouth.

Oh sure, now make me feel grossed out about eating disinfectant!

LOL Kidding!

Figment1988
08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
A couple other tips:

The water is about 75 to 78 degrees. I wear my dive watch when going through. Reason it feels so cold is that the water in the rest of the water park is around 90. A 10-15 degree drop in the water temperature will feel pretty extreme. But you will get used to it.

You can bring your own mask and snorkle. We do that with our family since our masks fit better and we get to use our snorkles which also work better for us.

If you have never snorkled before, get a mask and snorkle and try them in a pool first. Trying them for the first time while watching fish, in colder water, and in 10 feet of water is not a recipe for success.

Our kids at age 7,10,12 all have done it and enjoyed it, but we took the above steps to make it a better experience. In fact last year they tried the Scuba Assisted Snorkle at Shark Reef and did very well.

10 more days!
-Greg

oh yes, about the "bringing your own mask and snorkel" thing, it's ok as long as the mask has tempered glass lenses (that's from what i heard)

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
My goodness - I did Shark Reef at least 3, may be 4 times...soooo much fun! Yes, its cold, but once you're over that....it is spectacular!

Chris :hatter: