PDA

View Full Version : Borderline Height Kids

mudpuppysmom
05-17-2007, 06:38 PM
We were at AK last week and DS and I rode EE. When we went to get in line they stopped him and asked that he get measured. After he measured up past the 44" the CM stamped his hand with a red "YETI" stamp and we proceeded through line.

I did see this going on with other attractions too, so I guess now the CM's are stopping kids right at the first entrance and measuring them to make sure then stamping their hands so they can continue through and not get measured two, or three times to get on the rides -- which I think is a GREAT idea!!

psychotekkie
05-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the tip. Perfect timing for our upcoming trip, too.

tinkerbell04
05-17-2007, 06:55 PM
They did this a few years ago with my daughter on Kail River Rapids.:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
:thumbsup: I hope they continue to do that.
I am ALL for safety and meeting the height requirements. I just know my DS was really frustrated each time he had to get measured more then once for each ride when he was well over the requirement. I know safety first, better to be safe then sorry, etc, I just think it would save a lot of frustration and fear (That they somehow will not be tall enough the next measure..lol) for the kids.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I agree, one measure is enough. If they pass the first time, are they going to shrink as they go through the line? It's kinda like taking a test over and over again.

minnie1956
05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree they should measure. However, I see perfectly well why they would get measured
"over and over" again. How does a castmember know it's not the first ride of the day for the munchkin? They don't communicate by walkie talkie that so & so passed inspection. So, they are just doing their job. I thinkthe hand stamp is a super idea! That way everyone knows he/she is tall enough and no precious time is lost constantly being "remeasured".
Hey with some rides, every minute counts if you don't have a fast pass!:D

illini
05-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I hope they start doing this on all the rides with height requirements. Of course, their hands will be a mess at the end of the day, but so much better than "passing" once, then slouching a bit the next time. I don't want my kid on if s/he's not tall enough, but it's such a disappointment to get turned away right before boarding when they've already been approved. Great news!

mermaidmarian
05-18-2007, 05:51 AM
I agree they should measure. However, I see perfectly well why they would get measured
"over and over" again. How does a castmember know it's not the first ride of the day for the munchkin? They don't communicate by walkie talkie that so & so passed inspection. So, they are just doing their job. I thinkthe hand stamp is a super idea! That way everyone knows he/she is tall enough and no precious time is lost constantly being "remeasured".
Hey with some rides, every minute counts if you don't have a fast pass!:D

I think that the "being measured over and over again" reference might be to the duplicative measuring points through the queue. When DS was still borderline height, there were some attractions (RNC comes to mind) where he would be measured at the queue entrance, measured again where the CM takes the FP tix and then again before entering the ride area.

JRocker
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Of course, their hands will be a mess at the end of the day,

I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this one. I look back at when my kids were that age, and can't remember a time when there hands weren't a mess at the end of the day.....and it wasn't hand stamps messing them up.;)

I seem to remember some other theme park doing this years ago when my kids had to go through it. I thought it was a great idea, and it's about time Disney started doing it.

illini
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this one. I look back at when my kids were that age, and can't remember a time when there hands weren't a mess at the end of the day.....and it wasn't hand stamps messing them up.;)

I seem to remember some other theme park doing this years ago when my kids had to go through it. I thought it was a great idea, and it's about time Disney started doing it.

:funny: You're right. That should be the least of my worries. My DS is 7, and it matters not how many times a day he washes his hands, they're ~filthy~ all the time. How do they do that?

It would probably be a nightmare, but I know some parks do the wristbands at guest relations so no measuring has to be done at the rides. It can be done if a wristband isn't obtained, but that way you have the option of one good measure.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I think that the "being measured over and over again" reference might be to the duplicative measuring points through the queue. When DS was still borderline height, there were some attractions (RNC comes to mind) where he would be measured at the queue entrance, measured again where the CM takes the FP tix and then again before entering the ride area.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I remember a trip with Riley when he was about 2" more then the height requirement for Splash. They measured him at the entramce of the FP line, again when the CM took the FP ticket and again right at the podium where you get on the boat.

Like I said in my earlier post, better to be safe then sorry, but boy was he frustrated..lol.

Olivia's Daddy
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
We tried to get my daughter into Star Tours. She is under the 40" requirement. We got past the first measurement station (no one was there) and got in line to board the ride. I thought we were home free, but a cast member saw her and pulled her out and took the measurement. She couldn't ride. Oh well, we almost made it.

mudpuppysmom
05-18-2007, 10:22 AM
We rode a couple of different rides that had height req's for the little kids.......I mention EE b/c they actually stamped DS's hand. The height req on that is 44". Some rides have 40" some are 44" and some are 48", so I think that if you ride on that is 40, you should get measured, 44", you get measured again and 48" you get measured a third time -- if you really look at it, it IS for the safety of YOUR kids, not just covering Disney. For me, even WHEN DS gets to be tall enough for RnR he may not get to go......he is 46" tall and just turned 5. In another couple of months he'll more than likely be 48" but physically he will NOT be ready to go on RnR IMHO -- he just is too "fragile".....he weighs like 37 pounds and there is nothing to him. Yeah sure he'd love the coaster, but even WHEN he measures up I as a parent can put my foot down and say he's not ready -- it's all about the safety --it's not worth it to me for something to potentially happen to him for a minute of bliss on his end.

As for their hands being a mess......I looked at it as more of a souviener than a mess.....plus, kids LOVE having stamps on them!! It's just a sticker that lasts a few days longer than the ones they put on their shirts! Plus in a few days it wears off anyway. Don't sweat the small stuff.......

nqi2
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
An even better idea when children who are questionalble enter the park the should measure them then and place a stamp on there hand that would designate what they are able to ride. This would eliminate waits at every ride, only a one time wait when you first come in.:blush:

BashfulMom
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Yippee!:thumbsup:

I hope they continue this process from here on out.