PDA

View Full Version : Which places in WS do you think have the most authentic food

Crow
05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
what do you think
from food to :beer: :marg:
how about theming?
since i havent been to any of the countries i cant say. i know the ones i like.
and i would guess that some things are based on dishes but not neccesarily the same way prepared.

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Tough question - seriously difficult to answer since I've been to many of the countries represented in WS...

Many countries have different regions where both food and drink vary greatly.

I'll give you some insight on what I know...

In Mexico, tourist resorts will cater to the people willing to spend their money - and you can get creatively prepared dishes with Mole Sauce on Filet Mignon (San Angel Inn). But there are hundreds of "road side" places to dine with greasy tacos ("tay coes").

In the UK, Budweiser has become a national beverage (unfortunately) whereas 10 + years ago, Pubs had beers which varied greatly by the region - kind of like Micro-Brews throughout the nation. (Ireland has always been a Guiness Nation! ;) :beer: .)

In the south of Germany, you couldn't find Becks. But up north in Bremen, that's all you'd find.

In France, the Bistro's all serve great wines with dinner; the cafes all serve strong coffees during the day.

Forget about Italy - food here varies from light sauces and cream sauce to the hearty red sauces of the south.

So you ask which is authentic? Tough question. They all bring some authenticity to the table, but none could possibly capture the essence of the entire nation.

I will say this much: In Morocco, couscous is abundant - and it is in both the Tangerine Cafe and Marakesh!

Hope I didn't confuse you or fail to answer your question accurately! :mickey:

Crow
05-17-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks that was interesting. wish i could travel to compare!
ohhh Bud...thats terrible!
so which places do you like best in WS then?

Maleficent's Dad
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
For WS, we enjoy it all... seriously!

I've never had a bad experience in Le Cellier. We've also had beer and popcorn at Canada's stand outside.

I love, love, love the R&C pub and have spent (probably) thousands of dollars in the pub alone, never mind the restaurant! :blush: :eek: We find the food in the R&C mediocre, but the atmosphere (even in the dining room) great!

France has provided us with numerous good meals at both Les Chefs and Bistro - Bistro a bit too much with kids, so I haven't been in a while. Both have excellent wines. Wish there was an outdoor seating area like you'd find in most of France, however...

Enjoy Morocco, but have only eaten here a few times; our kids are picky so we tend to stick with what we know works. I've had several nice lunches at the Tangerine Cafe! Quick service, reasonably cheap, good quality food.

Love Teppanyaki, but it's a fancier overpriced Benihana's. Still loads of fun, although not "authentic" Japanese... Great view from the lounge, and if you like sake (I don't care for it), it's found nicely here.

USA - disappointing for food. Very sad. :( All other countries have sit-downs. And yet our own does not. Can someone explain that to me? :scratch:

Italy - we've always had great experiences in Alfredo's. Hearty good food, excellent service. We've had better Italian, but it does a nice job.

Germany - fun, festive, and great beers... but the food leaves some to be desired IMHO. I've had some wonderful food in Bavaria and Bremerhaven, and the Biergarten doesn't compare.

China - kind of like a NY Chinese food place. A bit more upscale to say the least. I've not been to China itself, but there is a great selection of food here. The restaurant is nice.

Norway - now this place is fairly authentic with cold meats and abundant fish. I actually enjoy the food, but DW won't go near it.

Mexico - fun cantina outside. Lovely restaurant inside. Authentic? Probably not...

So our favs? Love UK. Love the pub and the hedge maze, and the characters. Love it and it's probably the best.

Love Norway - great bakery and theme. Fairly authentic food in the restaurant too.

Love France - not a lot of people do. Delicious food here (bakery included! :tasty: ) with wine selections to die for. :wine:

Love Japan for dining - fun shopping downstairs as well (now that's authentic!!).

Love Germany's Brats and brews (outside) for the fun of it, not authenticity.

Love Mexico's cantina for the same reason.

Jeez, I guess I have to say I LOVE WS!!!

Here I am rambling. We just love the atmosphere of the WS. Love the UK. Love aspects of each country. Sure they're not the "real thing," but Disney gives you a taste of each country and what you would/could find there. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
05-18-2007, 08:26 PM
1) My passport had supplementals, because I ran out of pages.
2) I have run plants in USA, Wales, France, Mexico, Czech Rep.
3) Plus, worked in Japan, Canada, Sweden, and Germany.
4) In our opinion, France is the closest to authentic.
5) The other countries are too Americanized.

NOTE: I am not saying it is bad or unwise to Americanize, after all, profit is the motive. But, If you want authentic, WS is not the place - HOWEVER, most of the food is pretty good.

Crow
05-18-2007, 11:09 PM
will someone send me to those countries to check it out? esp Japan
seems i agree w most of your thinking MD.
Japan i love the lounge, the sake..i even try the sake at the tasting bar in the store everytime i pass by.
Norway i liked. ive been to the bakery more than Akershus lately but ill b back at AKershus this trip. and getting schoolbread and :beer: or viking coffee in the bakery. although i still miss Ringnes
Morocco food seemed bland somewhat but i havent tried Tangierine yet.
i love the :beer: at R&C. food ok..mushroom app and sticky toffee pudding i loved
Le Cellier is a fav and it will b my first meal this trip
Germany i agree w the food inside..not too great...:beer: in the big stein is good though
i like China too.
France i like the wine. havent eaten last few trips there.
and ive never eaten in the American Pavilion. they do need a TS.

kathymk616
05-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I am in agreement with RustyScupper about the French food being the most authentic of the European restaurants. (This is not a knock on the other restaurants...I like them all!)

When Epcot first opened, Chefs de France was only half its current size, and the rest of the space was occupied by a very casual cafe that DID have outdoor seating. Again, I agree with the previous poster--that is the only lack of authenticity that I can think of.

TexasPrincessAurora
05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd say that, in their current representations, Marrakesh and the Kringla og Cafe are probably the most authentic to their countries. They are both delightful places to visit with fabulous food. I haven't been to any of the Japanese or French restaurants so I can't comment on them.