PDA

View Full Version : Sharks @ castawaycay

DOPEY321
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
My sister just came home a few days ago and said that ther weere signs up @ Castaway Cay warning about sharks, baracuda, and other scarey sea life. She felll off the banana boat and was terrified. I don't remember seeing these signs when I was there in Dec. 05. Have there been sightings? Was there and incident?
I wouldn't feel safe going in the water, espically letting my kids swim out to the deck where they jump off by the ropes. The water is pretty deep there.

GreenBeetle
05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
YIKES!! :eek2: I hope someone comes along with some information on this. It makes me very nervous about our upcoming trip in September.

ElenitaB
05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, there have been reportings of barracuda sighitngs at Castaway Cay that I've read about. But I also do seem to recall that the children's area and the family beach both have some kind of safety netting to keep the bigger (and unwanted) sea critters away.

dixielandings
05-17-2007, 07:36 PM
But I also do seem to recall that the children's area and the family beach both have some kind of safety netting to keep the bigger (and unwanted) sea critters away.

Yowsa! How safe is the safety netting? I mean, I want to snorkel but not that bad!:(

TammiMcMan
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
The Bahamas are home to many of these animals, so Castaway Cay is no different. There is a safety net around the family beach and snorkle area, but I have to say, that we saw one gigantic grouper there, hiding out under the submarine. This guy was huge, easily 4 or 5 feet in length.

I know that when my husband and daughter did the wave rider tour, there were reports of sharks in the area and they did see some fins in the distance.

Over on the adult side, Serenity Bay, that is open waters and yes, there are sharks reported there as well.

DisneyDudet
05-19-2007, 04:19 AM
With all the noise and activity around the family beach, I doubt that anything w/ teeth will approach the area. They do have the safety netting and it should keep the larger fishies out. That large grouper may be a "native" to the family beach.. caught in it after the netting was put up.

I would think you have less likely hood of getting attacked by a shark at CC because of the netting than in Florida, where, in the past few years, have been home to MANY shark attacks.

And, yes, the signs have been up for a while. I remember them from May 2002.

JPL
05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I hate to say it but in all areas where people swim in the ocean there are sharks. The inportant thing to remember is we are not on their prey list and most attacks take place in murky water and are a case of mistaken identity. I am sure Disney takes precautions to make their beaches as safe a possible.

TBone
06-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I took a picture of the sign. When you first see it, it makes you wonder about going in the water.......

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/alessandraf123/album/576460762312876957/photo/294928803065350750/56