PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a whole cake?

BrerSchultzy
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Howdy all. I have to admit, I'm a teensy bit frustrated. Here's why:

My parents decided to sneak away for a couple of days in WDW, for my mom's birthday (may 18). Tomorrow night (friday), they'll be having dinner at Tony's, and I wanted to surprise them with a little something. So I called WDW-DINE, and I asked if they could do anything other than a cake. The lady on the line said, "No, and we can't even do cakes, it's too late...anything else?" I said, well, I guess not, and she said "Thanks for calling Disney" and hung up. Hmm.

Now, I can handle her inability to communicate politely. I called toward the end of the day, and I'm sure these folks at WDWDINE deal with a lot of malarkey over the course of the day.

But why can't they do anything special for my mom besides give her an entire cake that my parents couldn't eat in a month, much less for desert? I wasn't asking for much...maybe just a special single-serving desert, or even a little decoration at the table.

Okay...I'm done. Just needed to vent. Thanks!

momofdisneyprincess
05-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Maybe try to call the restaurant directly and see if you have any luck. I'm sure they could work something out. Good luck!

JCDarzi
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
When we went to WDW last year, my husband's birthday was during the trip. On his birthday each restaurant we went to, I told them at check-in that it was my husband's birthday. At the breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace, they decorated the table and brought out a decorated cupcake (I think it was a cupcake). There was also a card given to him with all the signatures of the Pooh characters. That evening at Le Cellier my husband received a signed card from all the cast members at the restaurant. It made a nice souvenir.

My advice is to contact the restaurant in advance so that they can make a note on the reservation. I thought they basically did birthday stuff on the fly and had supplies on the ready for a birthday celebration. It wasn't much but it was a nice sprinkle of pixie dust.

wendy*darling
05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Since they have an ADR for Tony's, why don't you call Disney Dining and just make sure that the birthday is noted on their reservation?
We dined at Tony's for my DH's birthday and they had the table decorated and brought out a cupcake (or something similar) at the end of the meal. They made it very special. (And we didn't have to lug a whole cake around with us after the meal!)

If you can speak to someone at the restaurant that would be ideal, but in case you can't, I would just make sure it is noted on their ADR.

biodtl
05-17-2007, 05:56 PM
At the breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace, they decorated the table and brought out a decorated cupcake (I think it was a cupcake). There was also a card given to him with all the signatures of the Pooh characters.
They did this for us on our anniversary last year at dinner.

Mousefan29
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
We've done birthdays and anniversaries at WDW restaurants and never had trouble. I agree with others that you need to make sure the birthday is noted on the ADR. Also, remind the cast member at check-in, if you're going with them, or even stop by the restaurant earlier in the day to remind them. Good luck!

vamaggie
05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
You could also call the resort they are staying at and see about having something delivered (flowers, balloons, etc) to their room (I know there are places that do this but can't seem to find where I noted them--I'm sure someone can fill it in). Also make sure that they have noted that it's your mom's b-day--maybe they will also get something extra from the disney fairies. Tell you mom Happy B-Day!!!

bleukarma
05-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey, your mom's birthday is just a day after mine! Tell her happy birthday!!

I agree, try calling WDW-DINE and make sure its noted on their ADR's. I believe all you need is their name and phone number for the person to find it to make the note. I would also call their hotel and have them make a note. At the very least they will tell her "happy birthday" when they check in! I'm sure you mom will do the "how did you know?!" surprise reaction. Fun!

mickey-mouse35
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey, your mom's birthday is just a day after mine! Tell her happy birthday!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :party: :party: :party:

spoiledraf
05-17-2007, 07:17 PM
My daughter had a "Junk Food" basket delivered to my room for my BD last year. While it's the thought that counts, the "Junk" was just that. Odd ball candy bars and disney brands of stuff that was basically not very good. The idea is great but don't get the "Junk Food" basket.