PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Tacky!

GrumpyFan
05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Okay, I'm all for saving a buck or two, but I thought this was tacky. On ebay last night, we saw where someone was selling there refillable mugs. There were at least 2 different listings.

Of course, maybe I'm assuming too much here, they could've actually been selling them for the souveneir value. But, it just seemed a little tacky.

DizneyRox
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I think we all know they were being sold to save a little cash on the refillable mugs.

Tacky is right! But, I'm sure they will sell... They didn't by chance come with fastpasses did they?

magicman
05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nothing says vacation fun quite like a good case of mononucleosis.

TiggerRPh
05-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Maybe they haven't been used. We often buy a few on a trip and never use them until we get home.

Dsnygirl
05-18-2007, 01:20 AM
:blush: Okay, I have to confess to looking for refillable mugs from CBR last month on e-bay... we didn't get them while we were there, and I had a sudden hankering for one as a souveneir, as we won't be staying there again until 2008. I didn't find any, but if I had... they'd be at my house already... :blush:

TikiGoddess
05-18-2007, 07:17 AM
People buying the mugs on eBay aren't getting much of a deal... for one mug the completed price is usually around $13-15 with shipping. Not much of a bargain. :confused: I'd rather buy a new one and know that it's clean!

As for souvenirs, I can see that... I just looked for WL mugs and other merchandise, knowing I'll want a WL pin, shirt, etc. when we stay there this summer. If I can save my family some money and buy new off of eBay, I certainly will!

TikiG

Mickey91
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
With Disney going to a generic mug for all resorts, the resort mugs will be become collectable. Probably not to drink out of:ack: , but to have since there won't be a chance to buy one now.:(

mrsgaribaldi
05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Even if they had been used, all you have to do is wash them thoroughly. It's not like someone's taking their last gulp and handing it to you for a drink. I'm sure we have all eaten out and used plates, glasses and utensils that other people have used:secret:

vamaggie
05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
With Disney going to a generic mug for all resorts, the resort mugs will be become collectable. Probably not to drink out of:ack: , but to have since there won't be a chance to buy one now.:(

Is this true?!?!?! I hope not as we really like the mugs from the individual resorts. I know that they are selling YOMD mugs but I thought they also still had the resort mugs. Anyone know if they are doing away with the resort mugs?????

Mickey'sGirl
05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Is this true?!?!?! I hope not as we really like the mugs from the individual resorts. I know that they are selling YOMD mugs but I thought they also still had the resort mugs. Anyone know if they are doing away with the resort mugs?????
We were only able to by the YOMD mugs at POFQ in April.

SallyfromDE
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a problem with "used" dishes and cups. I can go to your house for dinner, or to a resturant without any problem. But I cannot eat off plates or cups that come from a flea market or garage sale. The thought just makes me gag!! When I was growing up, Mom had dishes, a set of 20, that she bought used. And would use them for large gatherings. So here is everyone eating thier Xmas dinner off of these plates, and I have the old white paperplate in front of me.!! I could never deal with these mugs.

MMouse6937
05-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I have no problem with buying something "used" off of Ebay, especially Disney things. Now I wouldn't buy this mug and use it on my next trip, but I might buy one as a collectible. I have a house full of Disney collectibles that I find at flea markets, garage sales, Ebay etc and some of them are dishes/mugs/glasses. Some I use, some I just display. Once you run something through the dishwasher or wash with soap, who really cares. If people will buy a piece of toast with a "picture" of Jesus burned on it through Ebay people will buy anything. :D

minnie1956
05-18-2007, 10:36 PM
There was actually a refillable mug rant thread that suggested this very thing! I don't have a problem with buying used dishes, etc. For pete's sake, that's what dishwashers and hot soapy water are for. It's not like they carry diseases. Unless you don't wash them that is.:ack:
One persons cast off's, another's treasure!

crazeedizneefinatic
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Being someone who sells on Ebay, (and funding quite a few trips this way!!) selling these mugs to someone who collects is not tacky IMO. I have also purchased items that I have missed on trips, not mugs, lol. Now if someone is buying these mugs to try and save a buck, they won't save a dime. After shipping you can purchase the mug brand new for almost the same price. I think people automatically assume that you are getting a good deal on Ebay. Most of the time you end up paying the same or more. Ebay, anymore, is just for convenience not bargains.

little disney lovers
06-11-2007, 04:50 AM
So, If you have a generic mug or a YOAMD mug, Can you use it at all resorts, not just your own?
:thumbsup:

Terra
06-11-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm an ebay seller too and don't find it tacky...JMO though :)
I've sold several sets of the McD's glasses that I had and used for a bit but then had to downscale [DH and I have no room for "extras" in our apartment. They sold right away!

Also, DH and I have bought used dishes our selves off of Ebay. We have a discontinued pattern [OLD..lol] of Pfaltzgraff and could only find the dishes on Ebay. I agree...that's what hot soapy water is for!

Also growing up, we used "yard sale" dishes alot. We were quite poor and did not have the luxury to buy new dishes. Even now, I am a stay at home mom and we live on a super tight budget so many of our things are used and we don't have a problem with it. We love shopping at second hand and consigment shops for clothes because we can find good brands for cheap! We're not ashamed and don't feel we have to have new things to make us complete.

caryrae
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I could see buying them to collect them. It would be cool to collect a mug from each resort.

A Big Kid
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Nothing says vacation fun quite like a good case of mononucleosis.

Yeah, because when you are dining out (even at Disney- gasp!) you are not using forks, spoon, knives, plates, and glasses that someon else used.

I can see this as bad for a couple of reason, but germs is not one of them.

Natazu
06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know about using somebody else's mugs. Now, refillable Valrhona Chocolate Cake Plates, I'm up for that.

snifflesmcg
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Even if they had been used, all you have to do is wash them thoroughly. It's not like someone's taking their last gulp and handing it to you for a drink. I'm sure we have all eaten out and used plates, glasses and utensils that other people have used:secret:

And we all sleep in Disney resorts on sheets that other people have slept on.....Just a thought.

Lillabelle00
08-25-2007, 03:25 PM

When are they supposed to go to these generic mugs? :beer:

Marilyn Michetti
08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't see anything tacky about it. Seems like E-Bay is open to anything. If you have it, and someone will buy it, why not?

As for eating off "used" dishes, you don't eat out much do you?;)