PDA

View Full Version : Should I try (and how) to convince an un-Disney parent?

angedeaile
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
This is a long one. Sorry.

Last year, my little brother (9yrs), my DBF and myself went on a trip to DW! Our first trip infact and boy did we have fun! Once the trip was over, my little brother kept asking when we could go next.

I was planning on moving earlier this year (job transfer) and knew money would be tight, so I told him 2008. Well, I found out that plans to move to a new city fell through in January. So, I put down a deposit and started planning back in February! The thought of going again really helped with the disappointment of not moving.

Anywho, I spoke to my mom about the idea from day one; we talk on the phone almost every day. She seemed fine with the idea. It wasn’t until April when she informed me that she never told my dad of the idea.

When she finally did talk to him about it, his reply was, “She should save her money. They have already gone once! Disney is such a waste of money! Not only that, but he doesn’t deserve to go.”

My brother has been a bit mouthy lately. My parents moved to a new city last summer and my brother has been trying his best to adjust. He still has no friends and is picked on and called names on a regular basis. Because of his difficulty at school, he has been acting out at home. He wasn’t like this until they moved. This is why I am not so sure that a trip to DW would make his behavior worse.

Infact, I thought it might help. I don't spend much time with him, since I don't live near by. When I am home, he is so well behaved. I am wondering if he holds resentment towards my parents for the move...

Anywho, I thought it would be a great opportunity to get to the root of the problem by removing him from the environment for a vacation..alittle stress relief. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe it has nothing to do with the move. I don't know.

Regardless, I am going on the trip. I put a deposit down and have to use up two weeks vacation time by next year.

So here is my dilemma. I am going home for his 10th birthday next weekend. I am wondering if I should bother speaking to my dad about the trip or just take it as his final word?

So folks- you tell me. Should I try to convince him? Do you think the trip will worsen my brother’s behavior?

biodtl
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow - that's rough. Sadly, if your parents don't allow him to go, there's not much you can do. That said, I hope you can help your dad understand that something as major as a move can have a real impact on a kid that age and that it takes time to adjust. Especially if the response to the child's change in behavior is that he's just "being bad" or "acting up".

Maybe you culd try to point this out to your dad (look online for some resources to explain it), because his emotional wellbeing is more important is more important than any trip. That said, mayeb if your dad understands a little, you can present the trip as a chance for your brother to unwind and get away from the troubles at home. Maybe it will even help with his mood/behavior.

Wolf
05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
You should try to just mabye sit down with your dad and explain to him what you just told us, that you think he's just having a hard time adjusting adn alittle stress relief might help the transition. I hope everything works out for you guys! Thats really sweet about you wanting to take care of your little bro like that!

SallyfromDE
05-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Plus your little bro has the incentive of going to Disney. If he keeps acting out, no trip.

January-2007
05-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, try to talk to your dad about it some more! He's already said no, so what's the worst that could happen, he says no again? Or maybe he will say yes!

What a great sister you are for wanting to take your little brother to Walt Disney World! I am sure your brother misses you terribly, like how you said he's always on his best behavior when you're at home. Maybe your parents will understand it if you tell them what you told us, like everybody else has said. It's so tough since it's ultimately their decision and not yours. That's just the worst, isn't it? Maybe you could work something out where if he behaves better then he could go, him full knowing what's at stake.

That's just so rough for your brother having to move and not meeting new friends. I hope your dad changes his mind and lets him go with you because that could be the highlight of his year! Lots and lots of :pixie: hoping you can take your little brother.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I think you should sit your father down and talk to him. Sometimes it's hard to see all sides if you are right in the midst of the situation. He needs someone to point out why your brother may be acting out. And let your brother know you are there for him if he wants to talk.

Beast_fanatic
05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
The original poster has decided to deal with this situation in private, and therefore the thread is being closed.