PDA

View Full Version : They Just Don't Get It!

BashfulMom
05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
My DH, DS & DN will be at WDW in July and we have invited my DH's sister, husband and kids to join us.
What suggestions can my fellow Intercotees provide for helping my in-laws understand what they are about to experience. I'm positive they are equating WDW to a day at our local park(Kings Island).

LibertyTreeGal
05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't even try. We took my inlaws in Feb 2006 and they said nothing could have prepared them for it. Just let them experience it as a surprise -- nothing wrong with that :mickey:

Juniorunc2001
05-17-2007, 01:37 PM
After growing up an hr away from Kings Island, and going there numerous times, I thought the same thing when we went our first time.
And of course, I was wrong!

The main thing that was different from KI was the overall atmosphere. It was night and day! Just take them to MK the first day, and have them look at the castle, and take a lap around, and they will know they are in a different league at WDW!

grumpycajun
05-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't say much at all. I'd say "just wait" and grin at them. Then, sit back and watch the reaction when they do "get it". How fun!

mousetrapper
05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Your post makes me think of the first time we went as a family (DH, two DDs and me) to WDW back in 1999...

My DH, who had been to WDW as a child back in the 70s, said, "I don't want to go anywhere but MK. I don't want to waste our time at EPCOT; it seems so boring..."

:huh:

He was so clueless, he didn't even know that the MGM Disney Studios and AK parks had been added!!

I had to persuade him to trust me that the other parks were worth visiting. He didn't believe me until he experienced them. I have a great picture of him right after Illuminations at EPCOT, with our then-5-year-old DD on his shoulders, and a Mickey sorcerer hat on his head...looking misty-eyed and absolutely awe-struck. He had been officially Disneyfied!!

I guess my point is...no one (expect for us obsessive researchers and planners) believes the magic until they experience it for themselves.

CrazyStitch
05-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I've got the same thing, a friend is going with us who's never been, and King's Island is the biggest theme park he's been too. I told him to imagine the entrance to PKI, with its European-esque theming, but not just at the entrance, imagine it everywhere. And 100x more immursive. I told him that at other theme parks, you go just for the rides. Ride something, walk to something else, ride it, fight a line here, another there. But WDW is more than just the rides, its the whole experience. At King's Island, you're in Cincinnati (ok, King's Mill) surrounded by rides. But at WDW, you're in Small Town USA, or Norway, or the Future, or the African Jungle. Nothing he's been to could prepare him for WDW, because WDW was unlike any other theme park.

He's stoked to go, but I still don't think he quite gets it ;)

disneymom2000
05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I used my old planning video from a couple of years ago and my new one to show a girl at work. She got so excited. She thought it would be like Seaworld or Fiesta Texas or something like that. Then I showed her the maps and the whole layout of WDW and she was amazed. I always let people know that I have been 6 times, staying a week at a time and I haven't seen everything. So don't think it's a small place with nothing to do. :jaw:

BrerSchultzy
05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Tell them to join Intercot! :thumbsup:

GreenBeetle
05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't think there is any way to REALLY prepare someone for that first Disney experience. Sure, you can tell them to read every guide book they can get their hands on, and spend days exploring the wealth of information here on INTERCOT, but . . . until they are actually standing on Main Street looking at that Castle they just won't grasp it! :jaw:

Of course you should try just a little bit to prepare them for the amount of walking to be done. And you might want to mention the July heat in Florida. ;) ;)

Belle619
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Sure, you can tell them to read every guide book they can get their hands on, and spend days exploring the wealth of information here on INTERCOT, but . . . until they are actually standing on Main Street looking at that Castle they just won't grasp it! :jaw:

:ditto: I've tried to prepare my fiance` for his first trip this fall, but then I had to give up - there are just no words to express what you experience once you're there. Luckily we are going to DLR, so there won't be as many parks for him to have to take in - I'm easing him in slowly. :mickey:

mainemajor
06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't even try. We took my inlaws in Feb 2006 and they said nothing could have prepared them for it. Just let them experience it as a surprise -- nothing wrong with that :mickey:

You said it perfectly:number1:. As soon as they arrive they will understand:thumbsup:

last real pirate
06-23-2007, 11:31 PM
i took my wife (girlfriend at the time) to wdw for a week and i tired to tell her what to expect. we played on the disney web site and watched all the videos the send through the mail. i finally gave up when she asked me if it was anything like astroworld. when we finally got there she was shocked and it totally blew her mind. she couldn't get over all the detail that was taken on each and ever little thing. i told her that is why it is disney.

wilshade
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Bashful Mom,

Clearly, their imaginations need a Disney intervention and soon! Thankfully, you have already seen the need and are taking action. Well done! The first bell you hear at WDW will be for you getting your wings! :mickey:

K8screen
06-24-2007, 11:48 AM
My partner is making his first trip in 2 weeks time. I am DELIBERATELY not preparing him! He told me he was at DL in 1963 or something, so I just said "OK..." and continued to prepare feverishly! I've booked us some PS's (or whatever they call them now) and worked out where we will be and when, and the more surprised he is the better I will like it! (And so will he!)

DisneyFreak23
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't say much at all. I'd say "just wait" and grin at them. Then, sit back and watch the reaction when they do "get it". How fun!

Totally!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
06-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree with everyone else.....don't even bother explaining. I went on and on about WDW to my BF last year and he was telling everybody "I'm just going for her". He wasn't excited at all. I'm sure he was chalking it up to a more kiddie park compared to our locals....Hershey Park and Dorney Park. To make a long story short........we are going again in September and HE was the one who suggested it.

DNS
06-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with this. I tell people to be ready for all there is to do there, because that still amazes me and I'm still asked by people going for the first time if I think 2 or 3 days would be enough. I just tell them only if they plan to go back many times. That's about all I say then let them live it for themselves.

psychotekkie
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Agreed. I know it's hard when you can't share the same level of excitement. But think of it like that huge Christmas present you buy for someone. You don't try to tell them how great it is, you just wait for that big moment when they find out for themselves.

mickey&missy
06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I totally agree with the people who said not to even try! There really is no way, I think, to prepare someone who has no clue. It really has to be experienced!

LoriMistress
06-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't say much. I would let them experience things for themselves. Though, I would find out what things they would like to do on their vacation--at least try to find activities that would suit them best.

Goes4FastPass
06-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I think they need to experience the WDW parks for themselves.

There are millions of Americans who don't know that MGM is a theme park at Walt Disney World... and they get along just fine.

When you go to WDW with yout inlaws the tendency is going to be to "show" then DIsney World - which may wear on them pretty fast. Just let them go and take it in. They may come back fan(atic)s ot they maight not.

TheMartellFamily
06-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Yep, just let them take it in on their own. We took a family that had never been and just let them follow along with what we are doing. With doing that they realized how much fun that they can have a see as much as possible out of their vaccation as possible. Now they are the ones that give what they have learned from us to others wanting to go to WDW and feel after are now the experts. We explained explained to their kids that it is better than Great America( we only live 10 minutes away) and let it as that. They wanted to hear so much more but we just explained to them just wait and see. They get it now!

Jared
06-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Your guests will not understand the magic of Walt Disney World until the trip. Words cannot describe the differences between the Magic Kingdom and an average Six Flags.

Unfortunately, some people never fully appreciate the Disney theme parks, but wait and see how they react to the entire experience. I bet they will surprise you.

RocknRoller94
07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
It's hard to explain. While I was in school, I tried to (unsuccessfully) talk my schoolmates out of the idea that WDW was simply a theme park. So I would let them experience it for themselves, but make sure not to let them visit MK every day and think that's it.

BMan62
07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree with everyone else.....don't even bother explaining. I went on and on about WDW to my BF last year and he was telling everybody "I'm just going for her". He wasn't excited at all. I'm sure he was chalking it up to a more kiddie park compared to our locals....Hershey Park and Dorney Park. To make a long story short........we are going again in September and HE was the one who suggested it.

This pretty much sums up what it was like when DW 'dragged me kicking and screaming' to WDW for our 5th anniversary. Now, I'm the one who obsesses on going back!

Sinewiz
07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has suffered the frustration of trying to explain the appeal of the World to people that haven't been there. On October 31,st I'll be at the Poly for trip #35 over the course of 36 years.

Can you imagine how many times I've had to listen to the comment "your going there again?" (and always by those that have never been there)

During that time period I've probably taken somewhere around 15 different people there and all but one turned out to be Disney World fanatics. I have finally gotten to the point that I have simply stopped trying to defend my trips there. It really has to be experienced in order to be understood.

Figgyluv03
07-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I keep telling DBf that he has no idea what you are in for!!!!! He's only been to Disneyland and thinks it's the same. Yeah right! WDW is so much better!

texasteacher
07-26-2007, 11:54 PM
I am taking a first-timer with me in December and she is so Disney naive that she thought you could see the all of the parks from our hotel (Pop Century).
I would suggest that people check the parks out online. My friend has been doing that. I don't think it is going to ruin her trip.
I agree with the others, until you step on to Main Street USA, you can't understand the Disney magic.

LandFan
07-28-2007, 12:16 AM

Yep - same here! Now DH loves it and about 5 months after we get back from every trip to the world, he sees a commercial and starts salivating. That means I can start planning again!