PDA

View Full Version : Have you hidden anything in the parks?

jakeofwildwood
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I read a thread recently about a person leaving some money (a nickle?) in the park and returning year after year to see if it was still there.

Has anyone else ever left something in the park to see if it sticks around? A quarter taped behind a toilet, another item?

GrumpyFan
05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
That's kinda odd and neat at the same time. I never would have thought of trying something like that. I think it actually borders on littering/being dis-respectful to the parks.

Lehman Family
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
They actually have a whole following of people that do that. It's not just the parks though, it's pretty much worldwide. I think it's called geocaching or something like that. The motives are slightly different though. They do it and leave it for other people to find, sometimes they leave stuff for people to take, or other times they ask people to leave something else in it's place. It's a pretty neat idea, but it probably is bordering on littering.

DizNee143
05-17-2007, 01:47 PM
ive try doing something along these lines...i just always seem to forget where i put/did something lol...

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
They actually have a whole following of people that do that. It's not just the parks though, it's pretty much worldwide. I think it's called geocaching or something like that. The motives are slightly different though. They do it and leave it for other people to find, sometimes they leave stuff for people to take, or other times they ask people to leave something else in it's place. It's a pretty neat idea, but it probably is bordering on littering.
I am a geocacher and it has a very defined set of rules about the placement of caches and you are expected to trade evenly for items in the cache. It uses the GPS system to locate the caches.

There are several virtual caches, that is caches without a physical container, located in Disney. There used to be a number of real caches, caches with containers and contents to trade (one was in the Stave Church) but Disney decided that they didn't want real caches hidden on the property (though they still allow virtuals). That is the most important rule. The property owner must give permission for the activity. So its not at all like littering.

GrumpyFan
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I am a geocacher and it has a very defined set of rules about the placement of caches and you are expected to trade evenly for items in the cache. It uses the GPS system to locate the caches.

There are several virtual caches, that is caches without a physical container, located in Disney. There used to be a number of real caches, caches with containers and contents to trade (one was in the Stave Church) but Disney decided that they didn't want real caches hidden on the property (though they still allow virtuals). That is the most important rule. The property owner must give permission for the activity. So its not at all like littering.

Sounds kinda like a treasure hunt. However, if you're using GPS, doesn't take away some of the challenge? It sounds intriguing, but my concern would be that if lots of people were doing it, then it could get out of hand.

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds kinda like a treasure hunt. However, if you're using GPS, doesn't take away some of the challenge? It sounds intriguing, but my concern would be that if lots of people were doing it, then it could get out of hand.

Don't want to hijack this thread but at that risk, even with the GPS its often very difficult to find the cache. There are tens of thousands worldwide (maybe hundreds of thousands) but its all operated through a central website. Your cache has to be approved by a reviewer for acceptability to the rules (no harm to the environment, not in a spot it could be perceived as a threat, etc.) so its quite controlled and doesn't get out of hand.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, the nice thing abou these hides was that you could follow them online and see who found them and what they thought of what they were being shown about Disney. We found several out of the way spots that way that were great. We also discovered old friends who had visited the cache.

It was/is a great way to keep in touch with Disney and our outdoor hobby at the same time.

TiggerRPh
05-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Isn't this littering?

:(

jakeofwildwood
05-18-2007, 05:47 AM
I am kind of concerned this thread will go off topic and be perceived as something it is not. I am not endorsing, considering, enabling or entertaining the idea of "littering". This is also not about "caches" though in retrospect I am sure could be part of it.

The spirit of my question was for something you, yourself, left in the park to feel a connection there all year and went to see if it went untouched. In an out of the way, not littering, no one but you would know it was there spot.

Cinderelley
05-18-2007, 01:52 PM
It's a neat idea, but what if a small child found it and swallowed it? I always pick up change I find on the ground because of that. If it was hidden high enough, it wouldn't bother me, so I guess it is a pretty cool idea if done right.

magicman
05-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I too read the "nickel" story and thought it sounded really fun. Also, it gives you the feeling when you leave WDW that you MUST come back to retrieve the item. I'm thinking I might hide a tiny Mickey Mouse somewhere in MK on my next visit (thereby taking hidden Mickeys to a whole new level).

I don't think this constitutes littering any more than Hansel was a litterer.:D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I think I remember reading a trip report where the people left fruit in the parks and would check to see if it was still there the next day.