PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #31

King Triton
05-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Walt Disney World is often called the ultimate family vacation. But, do you or would you like to take a trip to WDW without the kids?

I haven't been too clear on some of the questions that needed explanation (especially the computer one), but I'll try again. There are two choices for this question:

Answer "WDW with kids" if you always bring the kids and can't imagine taking a trip without them, or, if you have no kids (yet) but can't wait to bring them when/if you do and always will, or, go to WDW only because of the kids.

Answer "WDW without kids" if you sometimes take a solo trip (other than business), sometimes (or always) take a trip without the kids, don't and won't have kids, or would like to take a Disney trip without them.

I'm not sure where this question will lead, but it could be interesting.

Y100Q32 will appear most likely on Friday and will be one of those rare questions outside the usual threads. It'll be in Vacation Planning Beyond Disney.

darthmacho
05-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Okay, let me just say this. I love my children, and I am looking forward to taking them to WDW next year. I would nevereven consider going without them at this point.

HOWEVER, I will not lie. I voted WDW WITHOUT KIDS because I truly believe that visiting WDW is best for two adults and I don't think I'll ever have as great a time as I would with just me and my wife.

Sorry kids! :mickey:

PS When's the 21-30 review?

January-2007
05-17-2007, 09:17 AM
I voted for WDW with kids because when we have kids I want to take them! We don't have kids yet, as we just got married, but we are definately taking advantage of the time we have now to tour the parks adults only. It's been a lot of fun, but I can't imagine going without the kids once they're around. I'm not a parent yet though so maybe I'll feel differently later on. One thing is for sure though, it will never just be for the kids, because DH and I love it a lot too, and it will be for the whole family, not just one age group. Interesting question. I too am curious on how people will respond.

k_reile
05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I answered without kids because DH and I do not have kids yet...but I would love to go sometime with my nieces and newphews to see their reactions

faline
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
When my daughter was growing up, we never went to Disney without her. Our first trip without kids was when she was in college. Now, all our trips are without kids.

c&d
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I voted WDW without kids. We spent our 10th anniversary at WDW and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the GF main building concierge and had 2 signature dinners at the F&W festival. We also ate at the Chef's Table at V&A's. Yes we felt a little guilty when we were leaving MA but once in Disney we really enjoyed ourselves.

We enjoy having DS with us on our trips but just the 2 of us for a week kid free was great.

SBETigg
05-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Tough one! WDW is so great for families, and so great for couples without kids along. I love Disney vacations with the kids, and now that they are older there is even more to appreciate with them. But I honeymooned at WDW and have been going back with kids for so many years now that I do look forward to being able to go with just my husband again. And then with the kids again. I want both.

biodtl
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I voted with kids, because as much as I love WDW and would enjoy it on my own (and have before the kids), half of my joy when we are there now is seeing my kids' happiness.

BigRedDad
05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
I voted for kids. Now that I have a DD, I can live vicariously through her eyes. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have 1 or 2 days without her while we are there for just DW and I. With any luck, we will not have that problem since one set of grandparents still lives 2.5 hours south.

King Triton
05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
PS When's the 21-30 review?
Not for at least another week. I leave the poll open for 7 days (and there are a couple that are very close). Seeing that #30 just was posted yesterday (Wed.), it should be about a week.

Tygger7
05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
When our daughter was 6 months old, we took a trip to Florida to visit the grandparents. Since she was little, the grandparents watched her while DH and I took a break and went to Disney World for a couple of days. Now, she's a teenager and I know that the time will come when she won't always be able to go on vacation with us....and that won't stop us from visiting Disney. We honeymooned there and are looking forward to a time when we can have an official 2nd honeymoon at Disney. I love kids, and I love the times we've went to Disney as a family...but I'm also looking forward to a time when it's just me and my DH. And hopefully, someday (not too soon), we'll be able to enjoy it all over again withthe grandkids. :blush:

King Triton
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I had to vote "without kids" on this one.

The interesting thing about Disney trips is how the experience changes based on who is traveling with you.

My favorite, and longest, trips are the ones with the kids. Seeing them interact with the characters, going to their favorite rides and eateries, etc. is very special. We'll also spend more time in the MK with kids than the other parks.

I will occasionally make a solo trip, often extending a business trip or combining with "spring training". When I'm on my own, Epcot gets more emphasis and I do a little more "combat" park hopping. I may even get adventurous and try to catch Fantasmic, Wishes and Illuminations on the same night, for instance...just for fun.

If I go just with DW, and we haven't had a chance to for several years, we go at a different pace...usually take our time, spend no more than 1/2 a day in MK and eat more in the Epcot TS restaurants.

I do like the kid trips the best, but they're all different experiences, not to be missed.

Tynkerbelle
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I voted without kids. We don't have any, nor do we want any and honestly, even if we did have children, I can't imagine taking them on every future WDW vacation! I don't think they'd be able to keep up with us!

DisneyCrazed580
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
We love taking our kids to WDW, but last fall DH and myself went to WDW with another adult couple and left the kids at home. It was great!!! I highly recommend it to anyone if you are able to do two trips in one year - one with kids and one without kids.

Mickey91
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
We love taking our kids! We have gone to WDW twice as a couple and loved that too! I will say, we almost always bring our children. And, though I feel very guilty going without them, I also love having the magic of Disney to share with just my DH. We still do all the character stuff and ride the fantasyland rides. I guess it is so much fun because we get to be the kids instead of the grown ups! :balloon:

Spaceship Tigger
05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
DW and I took our honeymoon at WDW and it was wonderful. We want to go back without the kids for our 10th anniversary in a few years. Taking the kids is great, but there's nothing like the feeling of being on our own at WDW.

luvkatiebug
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
It is hard to imagine going to WDW without my 2 kids now. As much as I would love to have some alone time with my husband, and we almost never get that, I don't know that it would be at Disney. We love it, but I envision us on a secluded beach with some frozen drinks in our hands!:lei:

If we did go with out the kids, I'd have a lot of Catholic school guilt tied up in me too!:shake:

JCDarzi
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I think that now having two children, I couldn't go to Disney World without thinking how much fun the kids would be having if they were there.

That said, one of our best vacations pre-kids was at Disney World. You can definitely travel faster and do so much more without them. I think WDW is a great vacation with or without kids.

wedway fan
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
I had to vote "without kids" on this one.

I do like the kid trips the best, but they're all different experiences, not to be missed.

have to agree- i voted without kids as well, though i enjoy the kid trips more. i've been several times with other adults and once alone, and loved it. more time to appreciate the little things, eat at the nicer places, etc.

i'll likely take most of my future trips with the kids, but enjoy the times without them as well.

Figment78
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Very cool question. :thumbsup: I voted With Kids, even though I don't have any yet. I'm the one who posted a little while ago about "Can't wait to take kids to Disney!!!!" so this question is near to my heart! The general replies were that Disney is awesome for all vacation groups (with or without kids). I will not be surprised to see this question end in a tie!

I have gone many times as a kid with my family and then a few times just me and DH and I love both types of trips. But I just can't wait to see WDW through the eyes of my own children. Also, my parents never went to WDW without me and my sister. If they wanted to do that, they would have had to lie to us about where they were going or we would have been stow-aways in their luggage for sure! Even if they tried to go alone now, I'm sure my sister and I would still insist on tagging along!

Figgyluv03
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Without kids.....because we don't have any yet!!! :funny: Ha ha, but I do want to take them when we eventually have them, but that won't be for another five or six years!

mdricks
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
As I read the question if your answer is both then you went with no kids.

Obviously by that statement my answer is both. I leave in 4 hours for my annual weekend solo trip! I have my wife convinced that its cheaper than a psychiatrist and better for me than Prozac.

I wouldn't ever trade the time in that parks with the boys but......

I also would not trade my ME time either. See ya in 5 hours! :beer:

snifflesmcg
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I voted "without kids". I don't have any but I have gone with kids and it was such a hassle. It was always too hot, need a drink, too tired, don't like that ride, I'm hungry, I don't like that ect.

Fortgoofy97
05-17-2007, 01:39 PM
We usually take 1 trip a year without kids and now that the DD's are old enough we leave a few days early and have them join us later. They think its cool to be able to travel by themselves. Plus it gives us some alone time and the DW likes when the kids join us!!

princessjojo
05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Since my first child was born, DH & I have never been on a vacation alone. We have taken them with us everywhere and have loved it to no end. No regrets at all.

But, I must admit that I would enjoy a vacation to WDW with just DH. A shorter trip of course, but I think it would be nice and somehow well deserved. I would feel guilty not taking them though. I guess I could do WDW with DH for 3 days and fly both boys down for the rest of our vacation. Have my cake and eat it, too.

prttynpnk
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Wow! I am totally floored by the results so far- I truly expected everyone to want to bring their adorable little crumbsnatchers and my Sweetie and I to be the only grumpy dried-up un-kidded people harrumphing thru the park! :cool:

Dreamer7080
05-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I dont have kids yet, but I already cant wait to bring my kids to Disney World for the first time and many many times after! An advantage for me is that I know my parents cant wait to bring their (non-existant as of now) grandchildren to Disney, so I'm sure me and the future hubby will still be able to sneak out for a quiet romantic evening just the two of us! :cloud9:

WDWfeelslikehome
05-17-2007, 05:06 PM
DW and I have taken many trips w/o, because we don't have any yet. I voted for w/ because we are excitedly looking forward to that day. We may again have vacations where the grandparents take the kids to the pool or MK while DW and I get some alone time, but that is far into the future.

mousetrapper
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
We love WDW with our two DDs but had the opportunity in 2004 to go just the two of us! My DH was in Orlando on business and he extended his time down there for a few days and I joined him. We stayed at BC and had a very enjoyable time. Of course, we felt guilty not taking the kids, but they knew that we would all be going together the next year (we have made bi-yearly trips since 1999).

We even called them from our Doombuggy inside the Haunted Mansion! :hmghost: They probably hated us for doing that but I think part of them thought it was pretty cool too.

It is great to see your kids have so much fun and to see the joy in their eyes. We wouldn't ever choose to go by ourselves over going with our kids....not until they're grown and out of the house anyway! Maybe not even then!!!

Jen66
05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
It's with kids for me! First, my DH, while willing to be a trooper 99% of the time, would never choose Disney as a vacation spot. Second, my DD (12) is as big a WDW nut as me, would be devastated if we went without her. (DS, 10, is more like his dad). So, while I would not go w/out kids, I would fly down for a long weekend with just DD while the guys did something else!:blush:

figgie
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM
DH and I go all the time. We went as college students the weekend WDW opened. We went when we were married and with kids. We went when all the kids were pretty well grown and in college or on their own. We go now with our grandson. In other words, we go and have fun whenerver we can, which is a lot!

Bethanymouse
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
We dont have kids so we cant travel with them!

Crow
05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
ive gone as a kid, and ive gone w wives, but having no children ive never taken kids.
ive gone solo a few times

tinksmom02
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I've always wanted to do an adults-only trip with DH before DD was born, but it never materialized. I still think it would be a completely different experience and I would love it, BUT I could not picture WDW without DD there. LOL I have an easier time picturing WDW without DH :secret:

So the WDW without DD trip is going to have to wait, at least for several more years.

GrmGrninGost
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I love taking our DKs to WDW. But, it is very special and different to be there alone with my DW! We have only done it once since our honeymoon, but it sure was fun! We went on our anniversary a few years back, sort of a present to us. The DKs were not thrilled, but they did very well. We may not do it again while the DKs are still at home, but, then again, we may!:mickey:

JRocker
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I love being on vacation with my kids. It is one of the few times of the year that we get to hang out without distractions.
With that said...I took my wife to WDW this last Feb. on a surprise trip. The kids help me set it up and keep it a surprise, and my wife and I had a blast.

Now we are ready to return as a family.

RAIDER
05-18-2007, 07:26 AM
I ve voted without kids ..As we dont have any and to be honest after seeing parents having to walk out of a show half way with a kid crying has always made me cringe .... or a kid loosing it when the parents wont buy them something

Also on the selfish side you get thru the park alot quicker and you can focus as a couple on the day instead of having to constantly be alert .... I like to relax on holiday and with kids is something that i wouldnt be able to do

Its horses for courses .. and everyone has a different way to enjoy WDW :thumbsup:

King Triton
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Wow! I am totally floored by the results so far- I truly expected everyone to want to bring their adorable little crumbsnatchers
I'm surprised too! I expected the results to be almost opposite of what they are. I thought I might even get flamed for even suggesting such a thing (not really).

avantgardeinker
05-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I have been with and without kids and they are both such different experiences. Both ways are equally as fun and rewarding. I now have a 19 mos old and wouldn't dream of going without her. We went when she was 6 weeks old and while I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world, I can not wait to take her this Dec. She already knows all her Disney characters and loves them so much. It's going to be so much fun to see her reaction to them all. Sometimes I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

202 more days!!!
:mickey:

KAT1811
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Okay I voted for WDW without kids. I love my children but am looking forward to spending some adult time in WDW (someday). I think one of the biggest misconceptions about WDW is that it is only for families. There are a great many things I would like to do if it were only myself and DH that I can't or won't do with the kids.

Funcruiser56
05-18-2007, 06:24 PM
We have made as many trips with kids as without. We enjoy both, but our kids are on their own now and find we sure enjoy our adult only trips.
Less packing, less stress, more adult relaxing activities- we can spend a whole day wandering the world showcase exploring spots we never knew were there, having a drink and watching people go by. We tend to spend more time in the parks since no kids usually means no pool time.
With kids is a more hectic trip and we tend to do more of the rides the kids want and repeat them often so we miss alot of non ride atractions.

We'll be enjoying our next non kid trip next month for our 33 anniversary.

Bev

Here we go again...
05-18-2007, 11:58 PM
I went to Epcot with Dad when he was diagnosed with cancer. It was the father/daughter trip we never got to take when we were kids.

I loved that trip! As adults we got to see what we have been missing when our eyes are looking down at kid level.

I spent 2 days with a friend and no kids in March... That was Heaven.

I can't wait for the all adult trip...

BritCody
05-19-2007, 07:11 AM
For me it would be with kids. I love to see the reaction and enjoymnt of my children at WDW. As a father my children's happines is what it is all about and WDW brings out the happiness in everyone!!

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I love both. there is nothing like seeing a childs eyes light up as they walk into another WORLD, however sometimes it's nice for the DW and I to take a solo trip if we did have kids. I imagine it's nice to get away every now and then.
:goofy:

pixiesmimi
08-02-2007, 08:41 PM
23 more days and I can't wait!:cloud9: This will be the first time DH and I have gone alone. I feel guilty not taking the DGKs but this time is just for us. I love seeing the kids' faces as they are enjoying it all and that is the main reason we always go. But DH said the last time that we were going to do the parks alone the next time and we will be celebrating our 38th anniversary on this trip. I'm looking forward to seeing and doing things that we wouldn't get to do otherwise. We will take it slow and just enjoy every minute of it. Who knows, this might just become a habit.:mickey: or a tradition.