PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe - closing?

irish1967
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I was just browsing through the trip reports and someone made the comment that they were going to breakfast at the Kona Cafe "sadly for the last time?"

I did a quick search, but nothing showed up in the first couple of pages of results -

tell me it isn't true and if it is, when will it be closing (I might have to try to sneak a meal in during our next trip even though we are staying off site and have committeed to saving $$$ by eating at the condo with the extended family!)

wendy*darling
05-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I have not heard anything about a rumor of Kona closing.
Alfredo's is closing, and Tusker House is going to be a buffet, but no rumors (that I know of) about Kona.

irish1967
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info Linda!

jillluvsdisney
05-16-2007, 04:47 PM
This place is always a must do for us. It's one of the few places you can have a nice sit down non buffet breakfast also. I have never had a bad meal there. I hope this was just a misinterpretation of someone else's report. Doing anything to Kona would be STUPID:mad:

I am already bummed that Tusker House is being changed. I keep justifying it to myself by saying that AK does need a TS place.

dizneyfreek
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
We just returned from our Disney vacation and had dinner at Kona. All I heard before going was good reviews, and well.....it sure did live up to our expectations! The prime rib was awesome! We will definately eat here again...It better not close!!!!!!

TBY2225
05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I read the same trip report and it seems to be that the poster was talking about Alfredo's not Kona Cafe. That would make sence because Alfredo's is closing this summer!

Ian
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
We love the Kona for breakfast (although all meals are good there!) and ate there on our last trip.

I haven't read or heard anything about it closing, but I can't say I'd be completely shocked. With the way they're refurbishing the Poly, I could see them expanding seating from O'Hana in that space or something to get more seating capacity for their (incredibly expensive) character buffet.

Crow
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
i havent seen anything.
ill be there for dinner June 2 and will report on it

pixiegoose
05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I haven't heard anything about that and I've made an ADR there for our Sept. trip, which I'm thinking they wouldn't have let me do if they knew it was going to be closing/refurbing/etc.

disneymom2000
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Maybe they meant that they weren't going back to WDW anymore. That would be sadder than Kona closing. :cry: :sad:

wdwfan
05-17-2007, 07:56 PM
We have ADR for July 20 & CM didn't say anything about them closing. When I made adr for Alfredo's she said I just made it.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
We have ADR's for the first time ever in Aug. So I hope it doesn't close. I'm looking forward to eating there.

trudisneygal
05-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I hope it doesn't close! The BEST (and maybe only?) place to get TONGA TOAST!!! :tasty: BTW does anyone know if you can still get a Pink Lalani there? Does anyone remember those? It was a breakfast must!! Strawberry and orange juice mixture of some sort that was soooo yummy... and they used to put one of those little umbrellas in it (which as a teen I thought was so cool:blush:). Please if anyone has anymore info on this let me know!

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Disney would not let a hotel of that size go to just one restaurant and Captain Cook's self-serve. I agree with the poster who said that it was the last time they were going there. Probably on the last day of the trip.

Figment!
05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
There is no indication that Kona Café is closing.

The trip report referenced appears to be the following:
As always, Cape May Cafe for dinner on our first night. Other ADR's include Grand Floridian Cafe, Alfredo's, sadly for the last time, Kona Cafe for breakfast, Donald's Breakfastosaurus, 50's Primetime Cafe, Crystal Palace, and Marrakesh.

The "last time" reference indeed appears to be related to Alfredo and not Kona Cafe.

As this appears to only be a case of miscommunication, the topic is closed.

Thank you to everyone for their input and we hope the original poster has had their question answered to their satisfaction.