PDA

View Full Version : Redecorating to sell a house?

minnie-mouse
05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
We are in the process of selling our home and want to repaint the master bedroom. Currently, it is a light creme, off-white kind of color.

What color do you think most buyers would like to see in a master bedroom. I would like to get as many opinions as I can. I have a color in mind, but want to see what everyone else thinks. I really want people to be "wowed" when they walk into the room.

DVC2004
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Realtors always advise to have neutrals. I was worried I'd have to repaint when my house went up for sale (my downstairs has some bold colors, but my upstairs is white). She actually said our colors were appealing (blue green, burgundy) which I was shocked. I would leave it as is- what wows you may not wow someone else. Also take family photos off the walls because people like to visualize thier stuff and thier family photos. Clean up and box and excess knick-knacks and furniture to make your home feel more spacious. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Jeff G
05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I deal with sales of homes on a daily basis and the nuber one bit of advice I offer to my clients is to give your house a fresh coat of paint where possible and use light, nuetral colors. We all have different taste and some buyers will walk in and not like a color or scheme and instantly have a reason to not like a house. Nuetral colors leave more to the imagination while lighter colors make a room look bigger.

Another bit of advice is to get your rooms as empty as possible with limited wall hangings. Space sells. I've had many friends and clients I've worked with go as far as renting storage units while selling their house.

A few small things can make the difference in someone buying your house or not. The result can be a difference in thousands of dollars in your pocket.

Good Luck!!!!

Dsnygirl
05-17-2007, 04:27 AM
:thumbsup: Good luck! I'm just finishing up the selling process... from what we learned while our house was on the market, I'd just leave your bedrm. the color it is - maybe just freshen up the trim or any ding marks. I agree with Jeff about keeping things light & open... we had everyone comment about how light & bright our house was. (Our bedroom & office were still off white w/ white trim... the majority of the rest of the house was a warm, buttery yellow and/or cream. We did have a green room and a brick-red mudroom, and our girls' rooms were painted... but no one seemed to mind.)
Whatever you decide, the number one tip we got was to limit "stuff" around and take away any personal family pictures... sounds ridiculous, and I fought the idea, but once I did it, the house sold w/in a month. Seems that people like to envision the house as "theirs" and seeing photos of you and your family detracts from that... :confused:

Let us know how things go!!

d_m_n_n
05-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Do you get HGTV? There is a show called "Designed to Sell" where they have a $2000 budget and they make all these improvements to sell a home (everything from changing paint in a room to new flooring and countertops!). They really give out some great tips on how to stage your home to sell and what improvements to make. If you don't get HGTV, I think they have tips on the web site as well.

DizNee143
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
like what other people said...keep it a light color...
cuz i swear people who are looking to buy dont have imagination or realize that if they buy the house they can change anything they want...
my parents are going through trying to sell there house...and wow..some people just amaze me...i happen to stop at home during an open house..and i was listening to a couple talking about the dark red wall thats in the kitchen and one wall in the family room has a really nice wallpaper on it...and they were complaining..its really nice but why would you do that...that might stop us considering this house...i couldnt believe it..so i went to talk to them...i had too!! lol...im like hi im the daughter of the couple selling the house and i just want to say...you know if you buy this house or any other house you like.. you can change all the things you dont like...the house isnt going to come the exact way you want it...im like dont let colors of walls or carpeting determine if your gonna buy a place...you can change those things easily..
and i walked away..lol
i just cant believe it...
so personally i would paint every wall white...lol...i just cant believe some people when they are looking to buy..
unless your getting a house built..its not gonna be exactly the way you want it...

minnie-mouse
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, I am a huge fan of HGTV's Designed to Sell show. That is what made me think to paint the room maybe a light green or a bit of a darker beige color because that is always what they do on that show.

Our home is completely decluttered, no personal items out, all neutral colors -light beiges and buttery yellows and we do have a storage unit filled with things already. But so far we have had 12 showings in a month and not one offer.

The house is only 6 years old and in great condition. We have many upgrades (lighting, appliances, hardwood, new carpet). It is just frustrating that no one has made another offer yet. We keep looking at the house like what else can we do to appeal to people. All the comments are "house shows very well, but our clients are making an offer on another." You just can't help but start taking it personally after a while, you know? :(

Jeff G
05-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, I am a huge fan of HGTV's Designed to Sell show. That is what made me think to paint the room maybe a light green or a bit of a darker beige color because that is always what they do on that show.

Our home is completely decluttered, no personal items out, all neutral colors -light beiges and buttery yellows and we do have a storage unit filled with things already. But so far we have had 12 showings in a month and not one offer.

The house is only 6 years old and in great condition. We have many upgrades (lighting, appliances, hardwood, new carpet). It is just frustrating that no one has made another offer yet. We keep looking at the house like what else can we do to appeal to people. All the comments are "house shows very well, but our clients are making an offer on another." You just can't help but start taking it personally after a while, you know? :(

Keep your chin up, this is one of the strongest buyers markets in many many years. Sounds like your having a good amount of traffic so it's just a matter of time to have a buyer fall in love with your house.

Best of luck to you!

illini
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I used to sell real estate and staging was my favorite part.

For a master bedroom, you do want some warmth. I'd go with a slightly darker color. Not dark enough to feel cave like, but more of a cafe au lait type thing. Pretty much what you suggested. Green would be OK, too, but I think the neutral would be your best choice. Golden beiges are also hot right now, but maybe not in your area so that wouldn't be quite as safe.

Figgyluv03
05-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Do you get HGTV? There is a show called "Designed to Sell" where they have a $2000 budget and they make all these improvements to sell a home (everything from changing paint in a room to new flooring and countertops!). They really give out some great tips on how to stage your home to sell and what improvements to make. If you don't get HGTV, I think they have tips on the web site as well.

This is a great show and the designer all know what they are talking about and are up to date on the newest treads and what's hot in the real estate market!