PDA

View Full Version : Osbourne lights, a must do?

mouseketeer mom
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Are the Osbourne lights worth a visit? I'm trying to plan my ADR's, and wondering if I should plan a dinner at MGM, then a walk thru the lights..are they that good, or just OK? In other words, should I make them a must see and plan a nite around them?

pox24
05-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I experienced this human cattle drive once and only once. It was shoulder to shoulder for the entire walk. The lights were nice, but for me there has to be alot more to make me go back for them again.

Strmchsr
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM
If you're a big Christmas light fan they're a must do. If you couldn't care less or just aren't that thrilled by a bunch of lights then it doesn't matter. It's a fun experience to walk down the street with all of the lights and the soap (I mean snow) and the street performers. We like it, but we're also usually through it in 15-20 min tops.

Disneytrotters
05-16-2007, 03:40 PM
We have been through the Osborne lights twice now, and LOVE them. It is an awesome experience to walk along the streets and see so many colored lights. Last year, they were also set to music, so each time they did the synchronized show, it sent goosebumps down my spine!!! Definitely worth the time and effort!!:thumbsup:

faline
05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
It's certainly on my must-do list for the holiday season at Disney! :thumbsup:

wjrhw
05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't care for WDW around Christmas time, but I thought the Osbourne Lights were great. Just go see them about and hour or less before closing. I don't think I would have waited to see them. We just wandered in, enjoyed, then wandered back out.

DVC2004
05-16-2007, 04:23 PM
It gets crowded but you should go see them. Last year the lights "danced" to the music and it snowed also. I think it's a must see.

Polynesian Dweller
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't say they are a 'must' do. They are amazing and probably worth doing once. But I agree about the wall to wall crowds and after about 10 minutes we found that the magic started wearing off and it became just a mass of lights, people, and 'snow'.

AllDisney
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
We experienced the lights last December for the first time. We think it's a must.

Give it a try after all it's Disney!

TiggerRPh
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
They are certainly worth a visit...they are for us. I have not seen them since they added the music and the dancing lights, but the lights were special every other time we've seen them.

Mickey91
05-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Most definitely something you don't want to miss!:mickey:

TennesseeTink
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
We saw the Osborne Family lights on Dec.30 and I didn't think it was crowded at all. The lights were AWESOME but then again, I like to drive around our town at Christmas time just to see the lights. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :haha: The lights were choreographed to music and there were at least 3 different musical ensembles during the 30-45 minutes we were back there. Also there are hidden Mickeys thoughout the display and we had fun trying to find those. Honestly I thought the lights were one of the highlights of our trip.

mpoppinsgirl
05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
We went last year and it was great. We are planning on going back this year. I thought it was awesome to see the lights dance.

mickey-mouse35
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
:thumbsup: YES, YES, YES--IMO, they are definitely a must see, but I love Christmas lights and Christmas decorations in general. If you go right when they open, it will be super crowded, wall-to-wall people. But if wait awhile, the crowds die down and it's well worth it. Try to go about 30-45 minutes before they close. ENJOY!!!

kakn7294
05-16-2007, 07:03 PM
This was the highlight of our December trip. We went after it had been open for at least an hour and walked right in. It wasn't crowded at all! We loved wandering around sipping from a mug of hot cocoa. The only disappointment was that the cinnamon roasted almonds cart ran out and the CM was a little nasty when I asked him when the next batch would be ready. I never did get an answer and I never did get those nuts! Unless you hate Christmas decorations and lights, I would say it's a must to see it at least once.

EvilQueen2006
05-16-2007, 07:36 PM
In a word. . . "yes!"

GrmGrninGost
05-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Absolutely!!:mickey: The lights are wonderful! We made our first WDW Christmas trip this past Dec.. I was amazed at the Osborne lights! They are breathtaking! We will definitely return at Christmas another year, and the lights are at the top of my must see list!

bleukarma
05-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I"ve been to DW at Christmas once (before the Osborne lights) and I swore to not do it again because of the craziness of wall to wall people. Last year my exBF and I were at MGM on November 12th and we got to see a preview of the lights (they weren't supposed to officially start until the 14th, I believe) and now I want to go back at Christmas time JUST to see the lights. They are amazing!! And we didn't see the dancing to music effect, they didn't turn that on for us since it was just a preview. But, maybe I am easily amused. Since it was just the preview the crowds weren't crazy as I'm sure most people that were there weren't even aware they were going to do that (we didn't know). But everyone that walked into the area tended to do the *gasp* "WOW" reaction. IMO, it really is worth it.

Marilyn Michetti
05-16-2007, 08:03 PM
We LOVE it ! Living in Arizona, we don't see much "snow" - (I know it's not really real). The music and ALL THOSE LIGHTS is awesome. It doesn't take long to walk through, and you'll come out feeling happy.:santa:

They used to give guest's special effects glasses that turned the lights into angels or snowflakes. I miss them.:(

mouseketeer mom
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Do the lights start at a specific time each nite?

Meteora
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes, the lights start after dark. The program for the day will have the exact time, but after dark in November and December is still fairly early.

I love the Osbourne lights and go every year. Maybe it's crowded, but I don't remember it being overly so. It's just a really stunning thing to see, and it changes a bit every year. I love it, and just for perspective, I don't celebrate Christmas. It's just a truly lovely experience for everyone.

I must say, though, I really miss when the residential avenue was open, with all the facades, and the lights were done there, with each house having a different theme.

stitch and co
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
As previously stated, they are worth a visit. It is amazing with all the the lights and music. We missed them in 2003 because of the construction of the car stunt show. My DH and I finally saw them in 2005 and can't wait to show the kids (and rest of the family) this December.

SpecJoe Magic
05-17-2007, 03:04 AM
They are a must-see in my opinion. I think that most people go to see them right when the lights are turned on for the evening. So, it's probably better to wait until about an hour after they have first been turned on before you go to see them. It seems like the crowd decreases a little bit by that time.

Mousefan29
05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
We were there in Dec and didn't know what to expect. We waited for the lights and literally gasped when the show started! It was amazing! Sure, there are a lot of people, but because the lights are all over the buildings and hanging over the streets, it really didn't seem too bad. Definitely worth a visit!

JPL
05-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Definately a must do IMHO:thumbsup: Gotta love all those dancing lights. It really doesn't take too much time out of your trip either just a quick stroll down the crowded street.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
It's certainly on my must-do list for the holiday season at Disney! :thumbsup:

Mine, too! We actually moved our trip up at the end of the year to make sure we can see this! Awesome!

DisneyorBust
05-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Yes! I consider the Osbourne Festival of Lights a "Must Do". We plan on attending this twice during our next trip.:thumbsup:

scootch713
05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
They come on at 6PM... and if you are there when they come on... WOW:cloud9: Definitely a MUST do for us... adn also a MUST to be there at 555pm. :)

denygold
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
It is really beautiful- worth doing.
Go while everyone else is at Fantasmic.
Definitely do NOT go when Fantasmic lets out !

Pirate Granny
05-18-2007, 07:09 PM
The times for the lights are on the WDW web site under special events I think...I agree with all...go at the end of the day just before you leave the park...less crowded...although if you are going Thanksgiving weekend, there will be lots of people...last November/December we did a late dinner and did the flashing mug of hot chocolate and the lights and spent an hour listening, sitting on a bench...yes, if it's late enough and during Fantasmic there'll be an available bench...it was WONDERFUL...
:pirate:

Bethis26fan
05-18-2007, 11:15 PM
We went last year and I loved it. The main "street" area was crowded but we went down a side one (I think it was suppose to be san fran.) and we actual sat on the curb in front of the "chinese food place" and drank hot chocolate and watched the people listend to the music and had a ball. I called my mom while we were there and told her I was in disney:santa: look at thousands of christmas lights,:tree: drinking hot chocolate and it was "snowing":snowball: that I was in heaven. It was great we are going to do it again this year and it's one of the main things I'm looking foward to. Being honest I'm a Christmas nut :ornament: :stock: :candy: :sleigh: I put my tree up the week before Thanksgiving and everything. :)

MrPeetrie
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
They're worth seeing ONCE! I did it. I was impressed. I won't go back. It was FAR TOO CROWDED TO ENJOY!!!

emmatink
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
My family loved the lights....it's a must do. Crowds are all about timing like previous people have mentioned. We went towards the end of the night also and it wasn't crowded at all. We just strolled on down the street and got some great pics in front of the lights. They are amazing! We were there during the week between Christmas and New Year's which is the busiest time and this was actually the least crowded part of our whole trip. :joy:

SgtTigger
05-19-2007, 10:43 AM
A Must Do YES

We have done them the last 4 or 5 years at least.......... They get better and better every year.............

If you want to avoid the crowds go a little while after they turn them on. the crowds will be much better......

:cop: :tigger:

Vinny
05-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I am not the biggest fan of Christmas light displays but the Osborne Lights at MGM are always a MUST SEE for me. I always try to get there a few minutes before the turn on all of the lights and music. When they all turn on at once it feels like you have been transported to a winter wonderland, Disney style. Don't be deterred by a large crowd, the Osborne Lights are a very good show.