PDA

View Full Version : The CiavoFamily's Rockin' Polynesian Birthday Festival ~ PreTrip

BelleCiavo
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay, I think I got all of the events in the title.

Cast:
Karen (42) - have loved WDW ever since Walt brought it to my living room as a child.
Lou (43) - my wonderful dh who is begging me not to go all commando on him
Ben (13) - oldest ds who turns 14 during our trip. Like many teenagers he loathes syrupy attention from adults (somehow he equates this with them thinking he's a child when actually he was born a 30 year old man in a baby's body), but he has promised to wear the birthday pin.
Zach (12) - middle son who loves noticing the less than obvious, I learn a lot from him.
Ethan (4) - he always has a smile and can't wait to meet Mater and Lightning McQueen.

When:
May 22 - May 30

Where:
6 nights at the Poly :tikki:
2 nights at the Hard Rock :rocker:

Why:
Ben's birthday, the Flower and Garden Festival, and west and wewaxation

Our last trip in September 2005 was lovely while we were at the World; we stayed at the cabins in FW, had free dining, finally went to Hoop De Doo and the Campfire, but during the course of driving home we was robbed! We had stopped for the night in NC and were a victim of a smash and grab. They took everything including all my videos and photos of our trip and I had such wonderful ones too.

So, here we are in May of 2007 thankful that we get to go back and make more memories. I'm hoping to get lots of pictures and video, maybe I'll even be lucky to recreate some silly character interaction between Chip and Dale and my oldest son (they love to torment him :secret:)

Background: We bought a fixer upper home in September and I did not think we would make it to WDW until 2008 or 2009. But when Southwest comes out with $49 fares who can resist? Once we decided to go I was in such a rush to book our trip that I made an error on our return flight. Normally we go for 7 nights/8 days so that's what I was planning on booking, but my quick thinking skills were off and due to an error in figuring out dates we are actually going for 8 nights/9 days. Not the worst mistake to make.

We usually go when the best deals are to be had, September, and I knew we would be in for some sticker shock when I went to book the trip. Plus we had missed the non-AP codes. I originally booked us through Wendy at MJ with an AP code at the Beach Club as the Poly wasn't available except at rack which I could not bring myself to pay. I have a thrifty nature that even Disney can't squash totally. :nope: We had stayed at the villas before and they were nice. We were content. Then Disney released the travel in May code so I had that applied, but it wasn't coming up for the Poly. On day 45 when we had to pay our balance I asked Wendy just for the heck of it to try the Poly one last time, and it came up as available with the May code :joy: Lou loves Universal and I love Front of the Line Access so we changed our ressies to May 22 - May 28 at the Poly with the dining plan and park hoppers and May 28 - May 30 at the Hard Rock.

Our "tentative" daily itinerary looks like this:
Tuesday, May 22
4:00 AM - Leave for Philly airport for a 7:10 AM direct flight via Southwest :jaw:
9:30 AM - Arrive at MCO, quickly gather luggage and pick up rental car
11:00 AM - Check-in at Poly, hoping for Tokelau 3rd floor, quiet pool view.
Hoping to be in MK by noon for a couple of quick rides.
Nap
ADR at Cape May Cafe
EMH at Epcot (I don't know if we will actually make this, we'll see)

Wednesday, May 23
8 AM - EMH at AK
That's it, no ADR's this day. We may head over to Trail's End for dinner.

Thursday, May 24
MGM
ADR at Sci-Fi Dine In for lunch (my boys love this place)
I'd love to stay till the parade so Ethan can see all the characters
Rest, maybe Epcot for the evening (EMH)

Friday, May 25
Breakfast at Boma
Nothing else planned this morning.
Rest, swim
MK (pick up birthday badge for Sunday)
Crystal Palace for early dinner
EMH at MK until 2 AM

Saturday, May 26
Probably will be a non-park day. We'll sleep in, swim or shop. Maybe grab some SeaRaycers for a few hours.
Drop Ethan off at Neverland Club and Ben and Zach stay at our room while Lou and I go for a romantic dinner at Narcoossee's. We have never left the boys alone at WDW before, but we have done so at home all the time. They are very mature and responsible and I will not be worried nor will I call them on the cell every 5 minutes (trying to convince myself here.)
We may go out afterwards not sure yet.

Sunday, May, 27
:birthday: Ben
EMH Epcot
Midday Break
Birthday dinner at the Concourse Steakhouse
EMH at MK until 2 AM

Monday, May, 28
Sleep in
Late breakfast at Captain Cooks
Check out
Drop the boys off at a water park
Ethan and I go check in at Hard Rock
Come back to Disney for more fun and to pick up the guys in the afternoon
Showers and rest
Dinner at The Hard Rock Cafe
Movies: Shrek or Spiderman or Pirates :D (I'm bummed these parks close so early)

Tuesday, May, 29
FOTL at IOA
Break
Universal in the late afternoon.
Watch Universal 360º
Dining plans are up in the air, although I would love to try Mythos

Wednesday, May, 30
Check out
Universal
IOA
Leave for airport in late afternoon
Arrive home, hopefully tired, but satisfied.

Goals and Missions:
Yeti!
Laugh Floor
Nemo the Ride and Musical
New POTC
Bubble Tea
The Guess Who
Video of TTA ride through
One of the biggest homeschooling conventions in the country is going on in Orlando over Memorial Day weekend and I'm hoping to get together with some of my homeschool boardies.
Dreamsquad!

Thanks for reading,
Karen

pogo
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
It sounds like fun :thumbsup: errr... with one exception... it doesn't include .... ME ! ... :faint:

I hope you have a safe and magical trip. :D

Jimenyfan
05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Have a great trip Karen, we will be missing you by 2 days.

Belle's Mom
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a fun trip and not overbooked! Smart! I can't seem to find that gene in me:blush:

TBY2225
05-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to reading your trip reports when you get back. Have a great trip!

poeticeclipse
05-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Whooo hoooo! Great pre-trip report! Keep us updated when you get back. We'll be there from the 26th to the 3rd of June. Maybe we'll run into ya!

Beach Club Babe
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Have a great trip, Karen! Your plans look terrific! It would be great to run into you! We are actually having dinner at the Crystal Palace, the same night as you!:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-17-2007, 04:05 AM
It sounds great. We stayed at the Tokelau building in Jan, 3rd floor but with a grounds view. If you don't get a pool view, don't worry. The grounds view was really nice too.:thumbsup:
:birthday: to Ben a little early.
I hope you have a magical trip:pixie: :pixie:

faline
05-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Sounds like a good mistake to make! Have a wonderful time! You've got some great plans!

disneydrmr
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Wow! You guys are gonna have so much fun! Sounds like a wonderful trip is planned! Hope your trip is safe and filled with many magical moments!!:mickey:

January-2007
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Have a magical trip! :mickey:

Bethanymouse
05-18-2007, 07:19 AM
You are going to have a fabulous trip! I love all that you have planned. You are going to love the POLY. It is at its best at night with the torches all lit up! If you are looking for a fabulous resturant in Universal we loved Emeril's Tchoup Tchoup a few years ago. The food was delicious. Not sure about the price though. Have a magical trip!:mickey:

hoop de do
05-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a great time to me. Can't wait for your post-report. Have a super time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SBETigg
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Great plan! Have a wonderful trip, and a happy birthday to Ben.

ChipnDaleGal
05-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I hope your family has a wonderful trip. Good luck on recreating some of those photo ops that you had stolen from you! :mickey: