PDA

View Full Version : Disney Stores vs Disney Park Stores

Dyanna
05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Do they carry the same items in the Disney Store in your local mall or are the items in the Disney Park stores different? Is it any cheaper to buy in the park or from your local store?

Thanks,
Dyanna

baby minnie's mommy
05-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Some merchandise will be the same or very similar, such as plush toys or kids' dishes for instance. But the "Disney Store" at the mall will have its own items that you can't get at the World, and vice versa. This especially goes for clothing. (The Disney Store is owned by The Children's Place, by the way.) You probably won't find something with "Disney World" printed on it at a DS.

It can definitely be much cheaper buying things at the DS. They bring down their prices to keep the merchandise moving. They even have a clearance section. If you get the latest items they'll be full price, but wait a while and they'll be cheaper.

Figgyluv03
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
The Disney Store is now owned by the Children's place so a lot of the stuff you see in there, you can't get in Disney World and vice versa. If you are going on a trip, I would suggesst going to DS to stock up on shirts and stuff to wear around the park, and if you have young kids and they like the light chases, get it there too. They are a lot cheaper.

biodtl
05-16-2007, 12:48 PM
You can get some great sales in The Disney Store, too. A few months ago, I got my daughter a character shirt for $4.99. Around Easter, they were marked down to $2.99 - all sizes.

That said, there are some great things you can get in the parks that you can't get in DS.

Quasimodo
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
The park stores tend to sell items that are related to WDW itself or a particular theme park. The DS tends to sell items that are related to Disney characters. Particularly characters from recent Disney movies. So, for example, if you want an Animal Kingdom shirt, you will have to buy it at WDW, in Animal Kingdom. The DS won't have it (other WDW parks won't have it either). On the other hand, if you want to buy a Cars t-shirt for your child, the DS would be the best place to look.

biodtl
05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
So, for example, if you want an Animal Kingdom shirt, you will have to buy it at WDW, in Animal Kingdom. The DS won't have it (other WDW parks won't have it either). On the other hand, if you want to buy a Cars t-shirt for your child, the DS would be the best place to look.
Good point. One exception, though, would be princess gear. Emporium and WOD carry a lot of princess stuff that you won't see in the DS.

goin2disney
05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I always get the boys tshirts (matching of course) at the Disney Store and each day they get a new one. They love it! Then I buy certain t's at the park. This trip we will get a Pirates of the Caribbean tshirt for my son while there.
A friend was there a few weeks ago and it is the coolest shirt!

Belle619
05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I too buy clothing at the mall Disney stores. I'm an adult, but I like to have a different Disney shirt for each day of a trip and to buy them at the parks can get pretty expensive.

Another option if you are looking for Disney clothing is WalMart stores. For the last trip I got a tee on clearance for $5.

Don't get me wrong - I can do some major damage at the park stores as well. My feeling is that if you see a cute trinket there at the parks, don't risk it, buy it because they may not have it in the mall.

glenpreece
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I just wanted to point out that even though The Disney Store is owned by The Children's Place Disney still makes most of the merchandise. That is what we have been told by our manager. On my last trip i was shocked to see the exact same Princess rag dolls at WDW that we have at the Disney Store. The only difference was a few more embellishments and that the WDW are the flip over dolls. Cinderella on one side of the dress and then Aurora on the other side, but they were the same doll. Usually if you wait 2-3 weeks after something arrives at TDS is goes on sale except for certain things. Like those rag dolls only go on sale once or twice a yr when we have buy one get one free sales. Anyways they are both different but made by the same company.

DizneyRox
05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
My feeling is that if you see a cute trinket there at the parks, don't risk it, buy it because they may not have it in the mall.
This is true for anything with Disney. If you see it and want it, BUY IT! I've been burned many times with it not being available elsewhere, or even the same location even a little later.

Regarding TDS. Everything is still made in China. From what I understand though, Disney has control over the merchandise, but CP does the purchasing, etc. So you will still see some crossover merchandise, but not as much as before.

lindique
05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Dyanna, I noticed from your post that you're from New York. The Disney Store on 5th Avenue (and I think 57th Street) in Manhattan is still owned by Disney. I think they renamed it "World of Disney" just like in the parks. They have real park merchandise in that store (at real park prices!) They also have character greetings sometimes. For Disney nuts, it's nice to be able to go there in between trips to get a "Disney fix".

As others have already said, the other stores were sold to Children's Place and have totally different merchandise - VERY little for adults.

biodtl
05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
FYI - I was in the DS today and they had a bunch of character t-shirts (kids and adults) for $4.99.

cinderellangel
05-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Dyanna: In terms of buying Disney items, here is what I do. 1. I buy items that I know I cannot find at the Disney Store in my town, stuff that has "Walt Disney World" written on it. 2. I buy stuff I can use at home. Hoe this helps.

PS: Dyanna, I really like the spelling of your name. It is very cool. God bless and have fun

glenpreece
05-20-2007, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=
Regarding TDS. Everything is still made in China. From what I understand though, Disney has control over the merchandise, but CP does the purchasing, etc. So you will still see some crossover merchandise, but not as much as before.[/QUOTE]

Yup that is exactly how it is.

donsteele
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't know if this applies to anthing else.

We tried to buy MM ears before we went to DL for xmas. We could not, they are Park Exclusive. I am sure there are other things like that.

MickeyandTink
05-24-2007, 02:18 PM
We don't live near a Disney Store, but there is a Disney Outlet about two hours away. We went a few weeks ago and stocked up on shirts and caps for our trip, along with some presents for our kids and my nephews. Not a lot of selection for adults, but were able to get a couple of shirts for DD :princess: ,DW :tink: and me :smickey: at only $2.99 each and hats for $1.49 each.

We are planning to go back again about once a month until we leave in September to see if we can get enough different merchandise to last most, if not all of the trip.:spend:

Of course, we will set enough aside for a special shirt, or another souveneir or two, from the World.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
For adults, you can't beat the selection at WDW itself. But the prices are higher.
I think the Disney stores are finally getting smart and carrying adult stuff. I got a neat Pirates shirt a couple of weeks ago.

Tink#64
05-26-2007, 08:12 AM
It seems that the Disney store in my city is mostly a kids store. Which is great, lots of toys, clothing, fun stuff for the kids. Not so much on anything else, a few snowglobes, etc. But, I decided to get a few of our photos blown up for parents & I wanted Disney picture frames - none! Not a single Disney picture frame in the store. I called the WDW Merchandise number & the CM was so helpful & he went through so many of what they had available, what it looked like, price, etc. He was amazing! That said, Disney Store does have great stuff, but not always going to have what you want, so I don't think you can always compare. :mickey: