PDA

View Full Version : Dive Into Disneyland's Newest Attraction

Figment!
05-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Dive Into Disneyland's Newest Attraction

Disney Insider: Official Disney e-Newsletter
May 16, 2007

Behind a wall of secrecy at Disneyland Park, tantalizing sounds have emerged for months now to tease Disney fans. There's something big going on in the old lagoon where the Submarine Voyage once embarked for undersea adventure. Something amazing. Something ... wet.

Avid fans will be nodding their heads right about now -- yes, we're talking about the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage attraction, which has long been in the works. Now, with opening day only weeks away, we've coaxed our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering to give us a peek at what lies ahead under the waves. Kevin Rafferty told us exactly what we'll see -- plus how they created some of those amazing effects!

Kevin explains that as we board the subs, "We're visiting this undersea exploration company -- the Nautical Exploration and Marine Observation institute. Put those letters together and it spells Nemo! Guests go along for the ride as this institute explores an underwater volcano." And a trip to Mount Wannahockaloogie is indeed in the cards -- but on the way Guests will encounter Marlin and Dory, ride the East Australian Current, meet a couple of sharks face to face, survive a mine explosion that plunges them to the depths of the sea, traverse a hazardous school of jellyfish, and even be ejected from the spout of a whale before they return safely to shore.

It sounds like quite a thrill ride, but Kevin stresses that the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is not a rough or scary experience -- you'll feel the sub rock a bit when the mine detonates, but that's about as wild as things will get. The focus is on fun and exploring the wonder of Nemo's underwater world, and even the youngest Guests should feel right at home.

"We were very careful that nobody would really be scared -- the characters are having a good time, and Nemo is being happy-go-lucky, and everything's OK," Kevin explains. He feels the attraction's greatest achievement is not thrills and chills, but "The integration between the characters you know and love from the film with the world we've created underwater. It's very magical," he continues. It wasn't easy to create a story Guests could experience onboard their submarines that would be true to Disney/Pixar's film "Finding Nemo," and also a rich storytelling experience in its own right. "I was a little bit worried about that," he confesses, "but it came together and it's really beautiful."

Another challenge the Imagineers faced was making the experience compelling for Guests in every part of the slow-moving subs. "If you consider each of the submarines as a moving theater, Guests are traveling through each of the scenes," he explains. "We had a story we wanted to immerse them in, but the front of the submarine will be in and out of the scene before the tail end goes through it. So it was a challenge to create each scene so that every Guest on board has equal show value. Our solution is that if you are sitting in the front end of the sub and you enter a scene with Marlin and Dory looking for Nemo, by the time the tail end of the sub comes up you have received all kinds of cues about what's happening. When you're in the tail end, you'll see the scene differently than you would if you were sitting in the front. If you sit in a different part of the sub next time, you might see a little gag or a little moment that you didn't get to see before. You're going to get a little different show depending on where you sit in the sub." For that reason, he strongly recommends planning at least two voyages, to make sure you catch the show from every perspective.

The Imagineers had a powerful new tool at their disposal to help them meet these challenges -- a computer program that let them create a virtual version of the attraction that they could "ride" on their computer screens. They were able to see exactly what the experience would look like from each seat on board the sub, from start to finish, before they'd built a thing in the real world. Tinkering was easy.

Another innovation developed for this attraction is a much more concrete one. Kevin explains the dilemma the Imagineers faced: "We wanted beautiful, brilliant colors for our undersea world. The sun has an adverse effect on paint -- it tends to fade it through the water. Also, paint colors never seem brilliant enough underwater. So Imagineering developed a new technology, basically painting with glass. There were several tons of recycled glass applied to the undersea environment. The results maintain the colors we wanted to portray, and because it's colored glass it will never fade in the sun."

The subs will be leaving dry dock June 11 -- and getting them this far has taken about three years. That might seem like a long time to throw your heart into one project, but Kevin claims "You get so involved in design and development that those three years just flew by. This is the only place in the world where you'll be able to see this attraction. There was a lot to learn, and the next thing you know, three years have gone by and it's almost opening day!"

We can hardly wait.

-------------

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage 12 Month Timelapse Construction (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/_lib/flashSRC?name=FindingNemoSubmarineVoyageAttrEnhced Media&secure=false&script=1)

disneydrmr
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Ohhhh!!!!! I can't wait to 'find Nemo' when I'm there in November! Thanks for sharing!

Mufasa
05-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Shark Bait! Ooh Hah Hah!

It's very exciting being so close to having the subs return to Disneyland (since this represents the third attempt at being able to bring the subs back- and as they say, the third time's a charm)

It was just the right story and timing that came together all at once and the results are fitting for the attraction that launched the E-ticket.

The new sound system in the submarines is amazing- far improved over the original squawk box audio and it plays an important role in the attraction and I'm anxious to be able to get to ride through with regular park guests to be able to see and hear their reactions.

I can remember the work that went up to trying to pitch the concept to the executives and getting the approval to stage a test in the lagoon and we aimed all out with a demonstration and put together a few elements really revolving around the dramatic underwater volcano and getting to meet a number of the characters like Dory and Squirt and on the strength of that demonstration we were able to sell it to the executives and I still remember the smiles on their faces and their comments of just how magical and real the experience was so we're anxious to share that with our guests.

I admit we were also a bit worried about actually asking for the money for the attraction's budget to really get to do the show the way we wanted to, but Tony Baxter came through and suggested that we really didn't have to ask for the money- we'll just let Crush do it, so we "borrowed" Crush from Turtle Talk and at the end of the demo he said "all right Disneyland Dudes- time to cough up that money so we can move forward with this" and that's all it took. Must be some secret turtle/surfer code thing (I just wish it were always that easy).

Melanie
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
so we "borrowed" Crush from Turtle Talk and at the end of the demo he said "all right Disneyland Dudes- time to cough up that money so we can move forward with this" and that's all it took. Must be some secret turtle/surfer code thing (I just wish it were always that easy).

Oh my, that is adorable! :rotfl:

I really hope we get to ride next month. :fingers: :nemo:

2Epcot
05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Jason & Mufasa, can't wait to see it. :mickey:

Chescat
05-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh I can't wait. :joy: :joy:

Is it still like the old submarine where they had something like 38 people for each of the 8 submarines? I always liked the ride a lot. Awful thing is I remember those mermaids out in the lagoon. :blush:

We were trying to calculate at work today the amount of people going through and how long the lines would be. I thought a perfect place for fastpasses would be the old fantasyland autopia cue line area. They haven't really done much with that area. (But not really sure if they'd have one). I'm figuring since they moved the monorail entrance to the autopia side, that the line for submarine could just line up along the lagoon like the monorail line did sometimes. :secret:

Is Pirate Island still going to start around the opening of the movie also? :)

Melanie
05-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought a perfect place for fastpasses would be the old fantasyland autopia cue line area. They haven't really done much with that area. (But not really sure if they'd have one).

Yep, there will be no fastpasses for Nemo.

Chescat
05-17-2007, 01:27 AM
Yep, there will be no fastpasses for Nemo.
Aww, if we don't get in the annual pass days, looks like early mornings or during fireworks for this ride for a while. :blush:

Mufasa
05-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Aww, if we don't get in the annual pass days, looks like early mornings or during fireworks for this ride for a while. :blush:

Well, early mornings probably are your best bet... and even then, prepare for a long line (a queue which extends out into small world plaza is completely NOT beyond reason or expectation complete with a CM managed break in the line to allow the daily parades to pass by as the line extends down towards Toontown and perhaps beyond).

The previously designated smoking area out by the monorail tracks/autopia between tomorrowland/fantasyland has been for the time being relocated directly across from the Tomorrowland Train Station (should be aware of that if you're sensitive or want to avoid second-hand smoke you may want to catch the train at a different station).

The actual weekend leading up to the grand opening will mark several adjustments to operations in Tomorrowland. Innoventions that weekend will be closed (starting June 9th), the Jedi Training Academy shows won't begin until 1pm on the 11th (no shows scheduled over the weekend) and entry into Tomorrowland itself for attractions like Space Mountain will be from the main Tomorrowland/hub entrance side (on the 9th and 10th, the back pathway behind the Matterhorn between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland will be blocked off).

Tomorrowland Terrace and the Tomorrowland Train Station are also expected to be closed for the weekend.

Autopia will be closed that weekend as well, although there is the possibility it may resume operations on the afternoon of the 11th.

On the 11th, the attraction will not open to the public until 11AM- the current plan is to start the line for the attraction in the morning somewhere near the Matterhorn entrance and at 11AM a group of CMs will then walk the line up to the Finding Nemo attraction entrance, since there is a press event at 10am to mark the official re-launch of the submarines.

I believe the 11th also counts as an early entry morning- there will not be entrance into Tomorrowland scheduled as part of early entry that morning (as far as the current plans that I'm aware of)

Also, effective immediately- Monorail Purple is not in operation which means they are only running Monorail Red on about 15 minute departures (in the morning the Downtown Disney monorail entrance may be restricted to Disneyland Resort Hotel guests only).

NotaGeek
05-17-2007, 03:59 AM
WOW. It really sounds like it's gonna be a mess for a while in Tomorrowland! But bring it on! Thanks for the info Mufasa! I really hope I get the AP preview tickets, because it sounds like 2009 before I will wait in line for the ride! :mickey:

Nerdeus
05-17-2007, 05:17 AM
omg... so many closures. it's really gonna be tough on the CMs!!

Well, i'm so happy to be a CM because our previews are June 1-4. I got tickets for June 2, with a timeslot of 11:30pm-12midnight. (Each CM is eligble for tickets that have a 30 minute time window for when you can ride the attraction. There are limited number of tickets so not every CM will get a chance)

I just hope that everything is on schedule and that our previews will not be canceled!!

Chescat
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow, think I'm going to avoid going to the park that weekend before and that whole week. Varcity & I were in that two hour lines from Main Street the 2nd day after Pirates reopened. Don't want to do that again. :blush:

Question Mufasa for my VMK friends? Should we also figure that from at least Jun 9-Jun 11, the VMK booth will also be down? I know at times they move the cast members inside when its raining. But if innoventions is down, I would assume the VMK booth will be also. :confused:

varcity
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, think I'm going to avoid going to the park that weekend before and that whole week. Varcity & I were in that two hour lines from Main Street the 2nd day after Pirates reopened. Don't want to do that again. :blush:

Well, you waited, I met you. Sheesh, I'm smart ;)

Thanks for the info Mufasa. I really want to be there for the opening, but going on the 31st won't let me be there 2 weeks later, and I'm not quite willing to do a 5 hour line unless it's for pirates!!! Perhaps in August things will begin to settle and I can sneak on!

Mufasa
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
For those who are planning to be in the park on June 11th for the Grand Opening (and to be amongst the first to ride the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage), take note of the following from the attraction detail page on the Disneyland website:

On June 11th, following a grand opening ceremony for media and invited Guests only, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will open in the early afternoon.