PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose or Brown Derby?

mouseketeer mom
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Which one should we choose? We're a family of 5, kids ages 13, 11, and 8 on our next trip. My girls want to try the Brown Derby because they saw the original on an old I Love Lucy rerun. I don't know if its OK for kids..is it a "stuffy" place? What about Mama Melrose's? Would that be better? We want to eat at MGM before we see the Osbourne lights. We've tried the 50's prime time and sci fi before.

SBETigg
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
The Brown Derby has really good food and a nice casually elegant atmosphere- absolutely fine for kids and a nice place to unwind for a meal after park time. I think your girls will love it! There are occasionally "streetmosphere" characters popping in to the dining room. We had a Douglas Fairbanks jr. type swan by us last time. Also, the service is attentive.

GenieOfPA
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
i've never actually eaten at the brown derby, but i HAVE eaten at mama melroses, and i must say that it was probably the worst meal i've ever had at WDW... ever. and it wasn't just my meal, it was everybody in my party that had a bad meal.... maybe we just got a bad cook, but i wouldn't suggest mamas

Polynesian Dweller
05-15-2007, 10:07 PM
It may be what we order or perhaps the chef but we've always enjoyed Mama Melrose's and never had a complaint. The food has been good and service fine. There's also three hidden Mickey's in the lobby. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Brown Derby is my DHs favorite. He said he had his best meal there, even better that at California Grill. It's very casual and fine for children. We just ate there last week and had a great time. Our server was great too:thumbsup:

Natazu
05-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Brown Derby is not at all stuffy. It is an excellent restaurant, though - one of the best at Disney.

milhouse
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
We went to Mama's last week and it was our least favorite meal of the week. Food was blah. I would not recommend it. If you are on the DDP I believe the Brown Derby is a 2TS meal.

spoiledraf
05-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I was considering the Brown Derby also. The last time we ate there was in the previous century! Unfortunately, it was a bad experience. We were seated at a table next to a Disney executive and apparently the waiter didn't know who he was. Slow and unattentive service got him a restrained but intense talking to. Didn't seem to help much because things didn't get much better. It was quite some time ago and it may have just been a bad day for the guy or maybe they were understaffed. Who knows. But I'm ready to give them another chance this time around.