PDA

View Full Version : OHanas or Spirit of Aloha?

mickey-mouse35
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
DH and I will be visiting WDW late Oct/early November, and then we're off to Hawaii next spring for our 15th wedding anniversay. I thought it would be fun to do the luau at Disney as a prelude to our anniversary trip, but I'm not sure after reading some of the reviews. What do y'all think? Do I spend the money on luau for show and so-so food, or do OHanas instead? Good food is very important to us, and we could stay and watch fireworks on beach after OHanas. Would love opinions, please!!! Thanks!

Mickey91
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Well I honestly didn't think the food was bad. I would definitely do the Luau. The show is wonderful!:mickey:

SBETigg
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
If good food is important to you, you will get it at 'Ohana. Not sure about the luau. I haven't been in years, but the food was really awful when we went. The show was decent. I would count on the food to have improved some over the years, but I don't think it matches 'Ohana, which has a great atmosphere that will also put you in the mood for Hawaii.

You'll have amazing food and luau shows in Hawaii. Stick with 'Ohana and fireworks on the beach. Also try to catch the Electrical Water Pageant- so fun! You could also try to catch the torch-lighting ceremony on the beach.

January-2007
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
If you're going to Hawaii next spring, wait to go to that Luau. The show used to be pretty good, I've been to it several times, but it's no longer a traditional Luau in any sense. It's changed into something not really worth going to. I was so dissapointed last the last time I went! While I myself have not yet been to 'Ohanas, for the most part everybody around here absolutely loves it, so that would be what I would go for if I were you. Watching the fireworks from the beach sounds great, doesn't it? Plus, it's so much cheaper to go to 'Ohanas instead of the Spirit of Aloha show. Happy planning! :mickey:

snifflesmcg
05-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Why not do both? You can check out the menus to decide. My upcoming trip I am doing both. My mother went to the Luau last year and she said it was the best part of the trip for her. Unfortunately, I couldn't get resv for the show last year but I did for this year.

pox24
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM
O'Hanas... by a nose.

DizneyRox
05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
I can't recommend the luau to anyone. I wasn't impressed with the food at all, and the show was... hmmm... Well, it was a show I guess.

I hear they changed it since I've been, but I really can't in good faith recommend anyone spend the time or money there. I'd feel guilty, and I don't feel guilty often.

If you want a good show, check out the Hoop Dee Doo.

princessjojo
05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Why not do both?

:ditto: For our next trip that's what we're planning to do.

mickey-mouse35
05-16-2007, 11:12 AM
You could also try to catch the torch-lighting ceremony on the beach.

The torch-lighting ceremony sounds cool--what is this?

I'm not sure we'll have time for both, as we're not staying at the Poly, and we also want to go to Kona Cafe, as it's one of our favorites. So I'm leaning toward going to OHanas and Kona Cafe and leaving out the luau. Thanks everyone! Can't wait!!! :lei:

Polynesian Dweller
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Have to agree with DisneyRox. Its not a traditional luau and is more of show than it used to be (always was but seems more showy than a luau now).

O'hana's is always fun, especially for families. If you are just two like us then its not quite as effective since its really intended as a family experience.
:tikki: :papple: :lei: :tikki:

GrmGrninGost
05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Ohana is fun, and the food is great, but I still prefer the Luau!:mickey: I thought the show was great! Can't wait to see it again!