PDA

View Full Version : Computer (Windows XP) problem...how do I fix this???

BrerGnat
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Ok, for the past two days, whenever I have ANY window open and I click on the "minimize" box, instead of minimizing to the taskbar, the program closes/disappears. It's doing it with ALL my programs, not just my internet browser, so I don't know how to fix it.

Can anyone help me? I've tried doing a troubleshooting search online and came up with nothing. I am SO frustrated because I am used to minimizing things a LOT when I am doing different things on multiple programs at once. As habit, I keep clicking it and then my web browsing session ends, and I have to keep re-opening my programs. The Restore and Close functions are working properly.

How do I fix this???

DizneyRox
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Scan your computer for any viruses and spyware.

I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy AND Lavasoft Ad-Aware for spyware. Also Avast! makes a great FREE virus detection tool.

Run all of these several times and see what happens.

Ian
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Question, Nat ... if you Alt/Tab do the missing programs still show in your selection box.

It's very odd that hitting Minimize would actually end a program. I'm thinking you or someone else (or maybe some spyware?) accidentally changed some obscure XP setting.

JPL
05-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Definately sounds like a virus or spyware. You might also want to run windows updates and see if there is a fix for it.

BrerGnat
05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Ian, when I do Alt/Tab, the programs come up, which is why I am more perplexed as to WHERE they are hiding. I had a feeling they weren't actually closing, but it appeared that way.

They "reappear" from down near where the "start" tab is, to the bottom left of my screen. But, they are NOT in the start menu.

We recently installed Norton Internet Security (actually, about 2 weeks ago) and it got rid of some spyware already during the first few scans, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. It just started in the past 2 days or so, so I'm really confused. I didn't knowingly alter any settings. I pretty much leave my computer alone. :)

Any input???

baby minnie's mommy
05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I'm Baby Minnie's Daddy. I'm a computer tech and have a solution for you. The problem is a registry error. I have a solution from a web site I use all the time, but don't want to post a link and have the post removed, so I'm going put the registry code in this message and have you copy-paste and save the file.

Copy starting below:

' Repair the Taskbar when minimized programs don't show.
'© Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Message = "To work correctly, the script will close" & vbCR
Message = Message & "and restart the Windows Explorer shell." & vbCR
Message = Message & "This will not harm your system." & vbCR & vbCR
Message = Message & "Continue?"

X = MsgBox(Message, vbYesNo, "Notice")

If X = 6 Then

On Error Resume Next

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\StuckRects2\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\StreamMRU\"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Streams\Desktop\"

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\BarSize"

P1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoBandCustomize", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoMovingBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSaveSettings",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoActiveDesktop",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "ClassicShell",0,"REG_DWORD"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gro up Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "NoMovingBands"

p1 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell"

WshShell.RegWrite p1, "explorer.exe", "REG_SZ"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\"
WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "BarSize"
WshShell.RegWrite p1, "Media Band", "REG_SZ"

On Error Goto 0

For Each Process in GetObject("winmgmts:"). _
ExecQuery ("select * from Win32_Process where name='explorer.exe'")
Process.terminate(0)
Next

MsgBox "Finished." & vbcr & vbcr & "© Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox", 4096, "Done"

Else

MsgBox "No changes were made to your system." & vbcr & vbcr & "© Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox", 4096, "User Cancelled"

End If

Stop copying at End IF above.

Paste the text into notepad and save it to your desktop as taskbar.vbs. Exit notepad, double click the newly saved file. After running the file you will need to reboot and check.

Good Luck......:number1:

BrerGnat
05-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok, I'm gonna try that right now. I'll be back on in a few minutes to let you know if it worked.

BrerGnat
05-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Nope, it didn't work. I did everything like you said, did a restart, and my taskbar was actually GONE. I just hit the windows key to get the start menu up, and then the taskbar appeared, same as before. Still having the same problem.

Any other solutions? Is there a setting that changes this?

baby minnie's mommy
05-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Okay, lets add a step to the process. Run the file again, but after it runs instead of rebooting do the following:

1. Press and hold the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys.
2. Click Task Manager from the list of button choices.
3. Click the Processes tab
4. Right Click EXPLORER.EXE from the list.
5. Select End Process.
6. From the Menu Bar choose File
7. Select New Task
8. Type EXPLORER.EXE into the box.
9. Click OK
10. Click File > Exit

See if that works....Reboot afterwards.

DizneyRox
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
You didn't confirm if you ran Spybot AND Ad-Aware. I would really recommend running those. While I don't use Norton and can't comment on it's effectiveness, I will say there are differences in what different companies consider spyware and what they can/will detect. I've always run a couple, there are some that Spybot will catch and eliminate and others that Ad-Aware will catch and eliminate, I'm sure Norton is the same.

There is not checkbox or setting that I know of to change the default behavior that you speak of, so this screams of spyware/malware. They love to do things like this to make it difficult to repair the situation, etc.

Load the programs and do the scans... Both of them please...

Another suggestion would be to load the latest IE. I suggest to people to never load the latest version of IE on their machine. There are times when things just get too screwy to fix. SInce IE impacts WAY more of the operating system than you would think, it's almost like reinstalling Windows. I've had many a problem fixed "automagically" by just installing the latest version of IE. Now, if you're already on IE 7 that won't help much, but you can try to re-install it.

Again, AFTER you do a full system scan several times with Spybot and Ad-Aware.

BrerGnat
05-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok, I did the new thing, didn't work still.

DisneyRox: I did the Ad-Adware, found four things, removed them, restarted, and still the same problem.

I downloaded SpyBot and it claims to have found 777 "infected items" and it won't "fix" them for me until I spend like $30 to "register" the product. I don't like stuff that claims to be free and then it's not, so I didn't pay for it. I can't see spending that much money not knowing FOR SURE that it will fix my problem right now.

Also, I use Firefox for my internet browsing. I stopped using IE a LONG time ago, since my younger sister recommended Firefox due to its anti-virus protection. This is the first hiccup my computer has had since I started using Firefox almost 2 years ago. Also, this problem I'm having is happening when I open ANY program or application (excel, calculator, windows explorer, etc.); it's not limited to my internet usage.

I'm starting to just think it's my computer. It's been acting up in general, doing strange things upon startup, etc. It is a dinosaur, at a whole 4 years old. ;) Maybe time to look for a new one.

DizneyRox
05-17-2007, 03:18 AM
I downloaded SpyBot and it claims to have found 777 "infected items" and it won't "fix" them for me until I spend like $30 to "register" the product. I don't like stuff that claims to be free and then it's not, so I didn't pay for it. I can't see spending that much money not knowing FOR SURE that it will fix my problem right now.

Spybot is free, make sure you download from safer-networking.org. There are many look-a-like programs, which are trying to capitalize on the name. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the copy-cat programs install more spyware. Make sure you run Ad-Aware again.

I'm running it now and it does fix things without a cost to "register".

It might not be spyware, but it's always a good first line od defense. It's NOT time for a new computer though. My computer is older than 4 years, still runs like a charm.

I appreciate the fact that you run Firefox, I do as well, BUT Internet Explorer is so integrated into the operating system that you actually cannot remove it totally from the OS. While you may not use it, it's still there I'm sure. A reinstall of IE or upgrading your OS with the latest version is still a possible fix. Microsoft has purposely (in my opinion) integrated IE into the OS to help increase their market share in the browser war a while back. The result is an IE reinstall WILL inpact your entire OS, not just Internet Explorer. Try it... The worst case would be you have a more secure version of a browser that you're not using anyway.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I was going to say the same thing about Spybot-it is definitely free. You may have gotten it from a second source who is trying to profit off it. I don't know how to fix the problem though. I know around here, Circuit City will do a diagnostics on your computer. I know it cost to have it done, but if I remember the cost was not alot. I don't remember if that included the fix as well. Check around your area. Also see if the local trade schools might want to work on it for you.

BrerGnat
05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Problem was fixed thanks to the help of an Intercot friend.

You know who you are...thank you! :thumbsup:

2Epcot
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Natalie, glad to hear everything is working fine again.