PDA

View Full Version : Any problems/bad experiences with Camping Cabins?

Tygger7
05-15-2007, 05:35 PM
We're considering reserving one of the Camping Cabins at Ft. Wilderness, and I've been asking around to see what experiences people have had with them. So far, the only people I've talked to (locally) have said they got sick when they stayed in one of the cabins. Two totally different families, staying at different times...yet both families ended up with stomach flu a couple of days after they arrived. Anyone one else had problems? Should I avoid the Camping Cabins at all costs? Thanks so much for your help!!:tigger:

brewcrew26
05-15-2007, 07:06 PM
We stayed quite awhile ago in a cabin but enjoyed it immensely. It's great if you don't plan on eating in the park a lot and will buy your food or bring it with you to cook.

If you really don't like the outdoors (bugs, little lizards), it's probably not for you and your family. But, if you do -- then, definitely take advantage of the bikes, boats, horseback riding, making s'mores with Chip 'N Dale.

It's lots of fun! :mickey:

A Big Kid
05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
My usual WDW trip involved two people - my wife and I. One trip we went with my SIL, neice and great neice so we chose to stay in the cabins. (The trip before we stayed in a room for 5 at the Conty.)

The cabins were great. Plenty of room. They young/tired once could sleep in the back room after a long day at the parks while others could sit in the f ront room and enjoy a nghtcap.

The transportation is a little odd, but you can get past that easy enough.

We never had a problem with bug or critters, though.

TheRustyScupper
05-16-2007, 11:16 AM
1) Think of them as a 12'x42' mobile home.
2) But,
. . . with a rustic looking exterior
. . . semi-rustic looking furnishings inside
3) The layout is (from the front)
. . . sitting area with sofa bed & Murphy bed
. . . kitchen *
. . . entrance door from a deck
. . . closet area
. . . bathroom, tub and shower
. . . bedroom with double bed and bunks
4) They are actually quite nice and very pleasant.
5) A good way to stay on-site, yet get the campground.
6) In many ways, the campground is superior to other resorts.

* Kitchen has utensils, tableware, glasses and pots/pans. Does not include food or spices (eg, salt and pepper, sugar, etc).

chrisandmattsmom
05-16-2007, 12:57 PM
We stayed at the WL in October 2006 and my son came down with the stomach flu five days after we were there. We took hand sanitizer with us and used it a lot, but he still got sick. I would tend to think that staying in the cabins didn't make those people sick, but rather touching everything in the parks did.

faline
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
I've stayed in the cabins a number of times (though not in quite some time). I greatly enjoyed the experience each time I stayed there.

I can only remember one occasion when I became ill while staying there. I came down with a terrible head cold towards the end of my trip.

While on vacation at Disney World, you are exposed to people from all over the country and all over the world. Some of those folks will not be feeling well while at Disney World. You will be exposed to their illnesses while there. I would suspect that the incidence rate of those who became ill while staying the cabins is not different that the number of those who become ill while staying in other accommodations at Disney World.

KODABEAR
05-19-2007, 06:16 AM
We've stayed at the cabins when we take the Grandkids . More room to run and lots of activities to participate in.:mickey:

llamaface
05-19-2007, 06:42 AM
The only problem we had when we stayed at the cabins were ants - many of them. We called, they moved us to another cabin. That one had ants too, but they were dead ones - at least we didn't have to worry about them getting into our food!! Seriously, we took it upon ourselves to **** them up with the vaccuum cleaner and all was fine after that! My kids loved the cabins and the golf carts!

TexasPrincessAurora
05-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Love the cabins! Very peaceful and relaxing! When I stayed before I didn't have kids but I can imagine how much fun a kid would have staying there!

slegrant
05-19-2007, 12:25 PM
My family and I just recently bought an RV, but we have been coming to Disney World for a long time and almost always stay at the cabins at Fort Wilderness, they are perfect for families and also very comfortable. They come highly recommended. We love Fort Wilderness!!!:chip: :dale:

June 23,2007-July 9,2007 Fort Wilderness Can't Wait
12/06-1/07 Fort Wilderness Cabins
7/07 Fort Wilderness Cabins

Piglet822
05-19-2007, 01:24 PM
We live locally and recently spent a weekend at the cabins. I loved it!! I would do it again in a minute. I loved having the kitchen, refrig, etc. We didn't use too much of them since we were just there for two days but it was still very nice.
The only problem we had, and Disney took care of it very quickly, was that when we first entered the cabin it smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke. I was sick to my stomach within minutes. We went back to the front desk and they reassigned us to a different cabin which smelled much better :D

Aurora
05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
My daughter got the FLU flu --- you know, influenza, at the end of our trip when she was 5. But we were staying at the Beach Club.

I agree with other posters. The chances of you getting sick from contact with other people in the parks (and the public bathrooms) is much greater than in your own hotel room.

If you're concerned, you can always bring a little container of antibacterial wipes and wipe down the bathroom and sink/counter areas. I have friends who always bring their own sheets and pillowcases.

That still won't protect you from the germs of thousands of other people in the parks, but at least you'll feel better about your room.

hoop de do
05-19-2007, 04:45 PM
We have stayed in the cabins many times but not for awhile. I have nothing but positive comments regarding them. I think you'll love them. Please let us know when you come back. Most important - Have a great vaca.
:cap: :thumbsup:

Not2Loud
05-19-2007, 08:08 PM
The cabins are great. My family loves it will be in one again next Feb!!:party:

KylesMom
05-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Last year was the first since we've been going to Disney World (since 2000) that one of us didn't get sick - and I attribute that to me being a TOTAL nag about handwashing at every turn before we had a snack, a meal, etcetera. Yes, DH got quite sick for a few days while we stayed in the cabins - but each one of us also got sick at the Values, CBR, and CR. The immense amount of germs you're exposed to in a day at any of the parks is mind-boggling. I wouldn't be afraid to stay in the cabins due to the threat of illness at that location. If the accommodations are right for your family, then go for it! :thumbsup: