PDA

View Full Version : New to epcot.. questions

scootch713
05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I have only gone to epcot for the princess breakfast and then to see a few things like living seas. My girls are getting a bit older(5 and 7) and we have more days this year, so going to spend a day or most of one at epcot this year. In World Showcase... where do they get the masks that I see the kids decorate. Also, feel free to give me ideas on anything else that are must sees. We will be going to illuminations too, can you see them from about anywhere, or what is a good spot??? tks.

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
1) In each country there is a "Kid Cot" location.
2) The masks are available there.
3) Additionally, buy a Passport (about $12)
4) At each country
. . . passports are stamped
. . . the child's name is written in native language
. . . the masks are stamped
. . . the masks get an attachment
. . . the CM's speak in their tongue to child

PeterPan
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
There are many good spots for Illuminations, and many very bad spots as well. Here are some of our favorites, all of which take planning and strategy - and about a 45 minute wait.

1. The "sit down" area between the two large shops at the entrance to World Showcase. This area is right up against the fence, and is directly across the lagoon from The American Adventure. This sweet spot is kind of a "reserved" area - in fact, you have to wait for a Cast Member to drop a rope. You RUSH in and claim a spot right up to the fence. Sit down, relax and enjoy a teriffic view of the show.

2. The bridge between The United Kingdom and France. Sometimes, you can go below to the patio area and stand against the fence, but sometimes that area is reserved for special receptions, etc.

3. A new place we tried last time (and I liked it) is the balcony around the restaurant in Japan. You must get there early, and you must be in the corner of the balcony - if you can get there, it is a spectacular view.

4. The bridges out on the lagoon in front of Italy.

5. The back patio of the Rose and Crown in The United Kingdom (meal reservations required).

6. The back patio of Mexican restaurant (no reservations required, of course, but must get there early).

bleukarma
05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I second buying the Passport for your girls. I still remember when I did it. It was probably 15 years ago but I still talk about it to this day! It’s so interesting to see the how the CM’s write (especially in Morocco)!

Get a pastry in France, they are very yummy!

When I was younger the Norway boat ride was my favorite. Now of course there are other rides that have taken that place but it’s still a fun thing to do. Same thing with Mexico.

brad192
05-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Be sure to see the Voices of Liberty in the American pavillion. :sing: They are an amazing a capella group that sings traditional american songs. They usually perform before the American Adventure show, which is IMHO another must see.:flag:

Speedy1998
05-15-2007, 12:22 PM
. We will be going to illuminations too, can you see them from about anywhere, or what is a good spot??? tks.

Make sure you can see the center of the lagoon, and you are not down wind of the center of the lagoon.

momofdisneyprincess
05-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I have never heard of the Passport idea but it sounds very interesting. Where can I purchase one? Thanks.

xipetotec
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I have only gone to epcot for the princess breakfast and then to see a few things like living seas. My girls are getting a bit older(5 and 7) and we have more days this year, so going to spend a day or most of one at epcot this year. In World Showcase... where do they get the masks that I see the kids decorate. Also, feel free to give me ideas on anything else that are must sees. We will be going to illuminations too, can you see them from about anywhere, or what is a good spot??? tks.

Just before I say this, i want to shar es short story. we had a couple who are friends of ours tell us all about how "boring" Epcot was, the same couple who said they found "disney just had fast food and nothing good" ....

Then they went with us. Now Epcot is one of their favorite parks :).

that being said, epcot is CHOC FULL of fine dining. And as mentioned, the kidcot stations, you can pick up a mask at any of them. NOW some of the future world pavillions have kidcot stations as well.

I personally find this is a "take your time" park. certainly enjoy the attractions in future world, but really take time to appreciate world showcase. My then 7 year old son just LOVED "The British invasion" which is a Beatles tributes band that plays in the gazebo in the UK pavillion. he loved them SO much that he made us go back there a few times during our stay at disney and the band came to recognize him and introduced him to the audience as the world air guitar champion.

that being said, there's music, food, entertainment, shopping. something for everyone in world showcase alone!!! combined with future World, I'd say there's too much you shouldn't miss to mention :D :number1:

baby minnie's mommy
05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Explore. :) Some very interesting things can be easily overlooked Epcot. For ex. some of the countries (such as Japan & China) have "museums" that have very cool historical pieces to look at.

I love the Norway ride "Maelstrom." It's nice and gentle with a very easy little drop at the end. We also love Test Track. If your girls like going fast, they may love this too.

Check showtimes for various acts going on in the countries. These are very talented performers that are worth seeing!

Those are just a few things, I could go on and on...:D

Maleficent's Dad
05-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I have never heard of the Passport idea but it sounds very interesting. Where can I purchase one? Thanks.
You can purchase these just about anywhere in the WS with a cash register - they're in all the gift shops, usually at the cash register.

You may also want to consider a ride or two in Future World. Your daughters would probably like Spaceship Earth (the large silver "golf ball!"), Soarin' (get a FastPass!), the Living Seas with Nemo, and Journey into Your Imagination.

At WS, there is lots to see. 2 good "rides" for kids found in Mexico and Norway (both log flume type of rides inside). Our kids love the UK as there are usually characters inside in the back (Pooh & friends, Mary Poppins, Alice) and there's a small hedge maze they love to play in.

There's much to explore!
Have fun! :mickey:

Tygger7
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
You may also want to consider a ride or two in Future World. Your daughters would probably like Spaceship Earth (the large silver "golf ball!"), Soarin' (get a FastPass!), the Living Seas with Nemo, and Journey into Your Imagination.

At WS, there is lots to see. 2 good "rides" for kids found in Mexico and Norway (both log flume type of rides inside). There's much to explore!
Have fun! :mickey:

Couldn't have said it better...if Spaceship Earth is open, it's a must do. And whatever you do, DON'T MISS Soarin'!! That ride is totally amazing...I'm afraid of heights and absolutely loved it. Mexico and Norway are a blast too....I went to Epcot for years before I went on the Norway flume ride, and now it's a family favorite. And definitely, don't miss Figment! :figment:

Like others have said...Epcot is a big place. Take your time and soak in the scenery. It's one of my favorite parks! :number1:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
We used to think Epcot was "boring". :secret: But, that was 10 years ago.

Now...It is our favorite park, with MK a close second. Our kids are 9,7 and 3. We spent two full days there last year and they wanted to spend a third as well.

You got some great tips.

Make sure you do the free robots in Innoventions. (West I think). They are cute little plastic robots that you make and bring home. You do a little class before hand where you design a robot and race them against other players by running in place on a special pad. My boys loved doing them. Even though I thought they would complain they were too old.

We really love the boat rides in Norway and Mexico. We have not seen the new version in Mexico yet but, I have heard good things about it.

The masks are alot of fun, they take a long time to do. We do them each trip.

The ponds in Japan are really pretty. Lots of really large Koi fish that are nice to look at.

My kids love The American Adventure show.

I am sure there is a lot I am forgetting. We really do love Epcot. Have a great trip!!

CM~Mserrano
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Everything at Epcot is lots of fun, and since your girls are a bit older they may very well like the bigger thrill rides and will more than likely love test track. I wouldn't make it part of the plan to go to mission:space but maybe suggeswt it and if they want to go, try the green team, it's a fun simulator. Although I know lots of kids that loved the original ride, if you're worried about it, try the green team and let them decide if they want to try orange. The masks at the countries are great, and some of the different locations in future world have kidcot areas too (Land, TT, Seas). They can make a lanyard there.

Innovantions are great as there are lots of games (where's the fire is lots of fun) and the whole area is very interactive, you can even try riding a segway. If you don't have any special time constraints, you can be there for hours. At the land pavillion, they have a place where kids can bake their own cookies. Around the world showcase, make sure you take time to explore the countries and with the right mindset for your kids it can be a lot of fun. Maybe see if you can make into some kind of game of something they could find in each country. I remember not liking WS as a kid, but once my family and I made it into something fun, it kind of grew on me, now being older, the drinks around the world are just one of the many perks to WS :marg: :beer: :thumbsup:

As far as the fireworks go, one of my favorite places is inbetween mexico and norway. A fairly large open area, scarce trees and closer to the exit than most other locations. Three perks for me!

Meteora
05-15-2007, 07:04 PM
One of my favorite things when I was much younger was just being in Epcot in the evening--spaceship earth looks so beautiful all lit up, the fountains near Imagination are lit with colors, and the pavement near spaceship earth sparkles. It just seemed so fancy and beautiful to me.

Now, keep in mind that I've always been a bit of a dork, but I loved Living with the Land as a kid (and still do). The actual learning part of the ride might go over your kids' heads, but I think the opening scenes with the different landscapes are very pretty, especially the rainforest. The greenhouse has some very cool things in it. If there's a long line, it's probably not worth it, but if there isn't, I'd give it a shot. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll all get to sit down for a few minutes.

scootch713
05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
GREAT TIPS!!! Going to print off and keep. thank you all so much. :blush:

McGoofy
05-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Run the printer again because I have one more idea for you!!:mickey:

We were just there last week. We have been to Epcot A LOT over the last several years, but we discovered something new for the kiddos last week. My 8 year old son loves to watch the American Adventure show, so we went over to the American Pavillion about an hour or so before the 3pm show. We wanted to catch Voices of Liberty before the show started. Outside there were 4 colonial men playing the fife and drum. We watched/listened to them for a little bit, and then began to head inside. The CM asked us, "Why isn't your little prince outside to participate in the parade?" We went back outside, and they were lining all of the kids up to do a little parade/show with the 4 colonial men. At the end of their little program each kid was proclaimed a "Defender of Liberty" and given their own copy of the Declaration of Independence to keep. My son thought that was pretty cool.

Oh, and another thing...In Mexico, they re-did the boat ride there. My DH and I thought it was kind of corny, but my 8 year old loved the re-make of the ride now that Donald Duck is the star of the show!

momofdisneyprincess
05-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I thank you all as well! Especially, Maleficient's Dad and Tygger 7. Apparently, there is a lot I have just walked by in the past. I'm really looking forward to it this time. Unfortunately, Spaceship Earth will be closed while we are there but I was lucky enough to get 6pm dinner reservations at LeCellier (another first) so I won't complain! Thanks again!

bleukarma
05-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Now, keep in mind that I've always been a bit of a dork, but I loved Living with the Land as a kid (and still do). The actual learning part of the ride might go over your kids' heads, but I think the opening scenes with the different landscapes are very pretty, especially the rainforest. The greenhouse has some very cool things in it. If there's a long line, it's probably not worth it, but if there isn't, I'd give it a shot. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll all get to sit down for a few minutes.

Don't worry, you're not the only "dork", I've always loved Living with the Land too! Even when I was younger. Even if the line is long it always moves fast.

I always liked the Garden Grill restaurant right above the boat ride. They have very yummy food that comes straight from their greenhouse. Now it's a character meal.

Do try to see Soar'n, it's one of the best rides at WDW!

They have a thing where you can pick your own pearl in Japan and my niece always looks forward to doing that! If I remember correctly you can either get just the pearl or have it mounted for jewelry. Every year my niece gets one. By the time she reaches HS graduation she'll have her very own WDW pearl necklace! :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Lots of good suggestions so far.
Epcot has always been our family's favorite park- even when the kids were 3 & 6! :thumbsup:

Don't miss Club Cool in Future World (to the right of the fountain as you are walking toward World Showcase). The kids will love getting to serve themselves and try all the free sodas!

Get a daily schedule when you come into the park. It will list all of the live entertainment for the day. British Invasion has already been mentioned- they are great. There's also the World Showcase Players (usually in the UK and Italy), Chinese acrobats, Oompah band in Germany, in Japan there are the drummers and a lady who makes fantastic candy right before your eyes. Morocco has Mo'Rockin- great band. And there is the "stacking chair guy" in France. There's more too- but that gives you an idea.

Epcot is an experience. You have to spend some time there to soak up the atmosphere and get a feel for the countries. Walking through on a commando tour will be boring- and I guess that's what many people do.

psychotekkie
05-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Maleficent's Dad mentioned the characters you can find at the UK pavilion, plus there are lots of other character meet 'n greets like Mulan in China, Jasmine and friends in Morrocco, Snow White (where is she.... Germany?). Our daughter is always happy to meet a princess. And always talks about how Mulan taught her how to properly flick open her fan.

EvilQueen2006
05-16-2007, 07:34 PM
The masks that you do in each country were a big hit with my 11 yo DD (and an even bigger hit with her the last time we went when she was 7), sometimes the stations were hard to find, and we had to ask a cast member where to go. France and Japan stand out as hard to find. My DD really liked the Norway and Mexico rides, she loved having dinner at Teppanyaki in Japan, where the chefs make a wonderful show out of preparing the meals.

disneymom2000
05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I can't say enough about Innoventions and kids. There are a lot of hands on games and some family vs family games like building the pizza and learning about fires in homes. It is so interesting and fun-filled. I even went on the ride about energy that Ellen Degeneres hosts. It has dinosaurs in it. :mickey:

Mousefan29
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
My son is 4 and Epcot is his favorite park. He loves the masks at World showcase and the Mexico boat ride is his favorite by far! There's lots of fun things to do in the imagination pavillion, too, as well as the Living Seas -- Turtle Talk with Crush is really amusing!

Plan on a day and take your time. We like WS after lunch to just meander and browse in all the shops. Enjoy!

scootch713
05-18-2007, 09:39 AM
This has turned into one GREAT post.. thanks everyone.... :)

mainemajor
06-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I second buying the Passport for your girls. I still remember when I did it. It was probably 15 years ago but I still talk about it to this day! It’s so interesting to see the how the CM’s write (especially in Morocco)!

Get a pastry in France, they are very yummy!

When I was younger the Norway boat ride was my favorite. Now of course there are other rides that have taken that place but it’s still a fun thing to do. Same thing with Mexico.

My son was packing to go off to collage and he discovered his passport from when he was 6. He poured over it. Most of the CM wrote their greetings to him in both their native language and in English so he could understand what they wrote.
Encourage your girls to talk with the CM's about their countries. Most will gush over their homeland and your girls will get such a special gift of having spent this time with them,
Take your time with them and explore all the little nooks each country has to offer.:cloud9:

#1disneyfan
06-23-2007, 08:11 PM
We used to bypass most of Epcot when our DD was younger as well, however now that we have given her the chance to explore it, it is one of her favorite parks. Her must sees:
1. Soarin'
2. Test Track
3. Figment
4. All the countries.

She enjoys learning about all the cultures in the other countries. She loved getting her "passport", which we bought 2 years ago. That was truly the highlight of our Epcot part of the trip.

In my opinion, the best way to do Epcot with kids is to let them explore it. Kids surprise you in what they actually will like.

As far as Illuminations goes, we found a great spot last year to watch. It was near Norway. We were able to grab a great spot but had to sit on the ground, as we arrived a little later than I had wanted to. Illuminations is a great night show which is not to be missed. Makes me sob like a baby every time !

Have a great time!

Goes4FastPass
06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello! Hello! Test Track! On of my my 7yo nieces favorite rides at WDW is Test Track.

She also loves shopping at China - many things there for a few dollars.

Tyco drums and the story teller at Japan...

Epcot is a kids park.

last real pirate
06-23-2007, 11:06 PM
i dont know when you are going but a good place to cool off if you get hot is the coca cola store. you walk through a hallway to get into the store and it as actually snowing in the entrance hallway. once you get into the store you can taste coca cola from all around the world. not a real big place but neat to check out and cool off.

LibertyTreeGal
06-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Get the Disney Visa card -- there is no annual fee and you get an exclusive meet and greet with two characters (out of Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy) as well as a free 5x7 pic (it's at one of the Innoventions buildings). One per day :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
i dont know when you are going but a good place to cool off if you get hot is the coca cola store. you walk through a hallway to get into the store and it as actually snowing in the entrance hallway. once you get into the store you can taste coca cola from all around the world. not a real big place but neat to check out and cool off.

Sorry little brother no more snow tunnel, just a store, but you can still taste the cokes. Be sure to try the Beverly when you go. :thumbsup: