PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice-Giving Notice for Vacation

angel8783
05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok, I finally got a new job after one and a half years of searching on and off (mostly on recently)!!

I am excited, but tomorrow I am to call my new manager to tell her the exact date I can start (after I speak to my current boss). I also need to tell my new manager that I have a scheduled trip (to Disney of course) in October. A lot of effort has gone into this upcoming trip because my mother-in-law is going with us this time. I have Halloween Party tickets and everyone has put in their vacation time, and this trip has been in the works since last October. So, I cannot move or cancel it at all, there is no way. (and I don't want to give this up, I have been really looking forward to that break) I know I might have to go without pay that week as I probably will not have earned any vacation time after 5 months, and that is ok. I just need to know how to tell this lady about this 7 month in the planning trip.

My dad, who has employed many people over the years says to just be upfront, but vague about it, calling it an event that I cannot get out of because it is non-refundable and then to not mention it again until after my 90 day probationary period. (or anything about Disney for that matter to anyone) He says that 99% of employers will not care about it as much if you are upfront about it.

I am wondering how any of the rest of you have handled this? How many of you have gotten a new job a few months in front of a planned Disney trip that you cannot reschedule (and really don't want to) and then had to tell your new employers that you "needed" 6 days off in about 5 months?

gueli
05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Your Father is mostly correct.
Be upfront, do not expect to be paid for it (depending on how long/what new company policy is).
You do not need to mention disney. You simply need to state that you have a previous out of state commitment on such and such dates. You need to have this time off, and what will you need to do to make this happen. Be reasonably, be flexable (as far as accomodating new boss). If your new boss asks what is happening, explain travel arrangements with family & mother in law. Do not go into too much detail (about how this trip has been planned out, the extra tickets, etc), just let the new boss know what time off you will need. You might be pleasantly surprised at how accomadating someone can be. But you need to be honest & upfront.
Let us know how you do.
:mickey:

FriendsofMickey
05-15-2007, 07:35 AM
I have known many people who have had vacations planned prior to being hired. I agree with the other poster, just be upfront about the vacation.
I am not even sure if you have to hide what it is. Just say, it is a family vacation that is already planned. Most employers will be completely understanding... they like their vacations too. :D

MissStyles
05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
It seems like every time I get a new job I have a trip planned (to WDW!). I think of it this way, if they're going to be difficult about it I'm not going to want to work there...that's how important it is to me personally. Anyway...all I've ever said is "before I accept the job, I have to give you some dates I will not be able to work due to prior commitments." It's never been a problem...including the job I started last month. Since you have 5 months that shouldn't be a big deal. Goodluck, most work places are down to earth so I'm sure you'll be fine.

snifflesmcg
05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm having the same issue with my boyfriend. He just started a new job last week and we booked our trip this week. Simply ask if this is going to be a problem to have off on such and such date. As long as you are giving them advance notice, I don't think they should have a problem.

angel8783
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, I start my new job on May 29, the day after memorial day! She did not have a problem with the October trip and thanked me for telling her. Hopefully it will still be fine later too. I am so excited to get this job because it is about 5 miles away from where I live and I am currently working 40 miles away! I know it might come with new challenges and stresses, but at least it is a steady permanant job close to home.

January-2007
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you. At my last job I had no problem getting my days off for our Honeymoon. The person in charge was really nice and it was no big deal. When I transferred after we moved in February, I mentioned that I would be needing time off in May, and was told to put that request in writing immediately. They aren't as nice here, and don't make it as easy. I just kept it really vague, that I would be unnavailable to work due to being out of town. And you know they always ask more questions! I just stated that I would be in "Florida" and that it is a family event that I cannot miss. I'm telling the truth! People always get so nosy so I keep it simple. I'm so glad that your new boss seemed cool with your October trip. It definately is best to tell them right away.

MissStyles
05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
That's great that it worked out! I knew it would. I meant to ask you..where did you end up finding a job? I saw your other post about job interviews and I meant to post there but never got around to it. Congratulations though! :party:

crazypoohbear
05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
:thumbsup: Glad that things worked out for you.
Good luck with the new job and have a great vacation in Oct

angel8783
05-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I ended up getting a job at a Sports Medicine office (they do physical therapy) as one of their insurance people. I work the front desk at a small dentists office for now, so its a pretty good fit since I deal with insurance now, just in a different field.

The only bad thing about this now is that I think my boss here might be unhappy (even though she knows I have been searching so long) Yesterday she gave me the day off (she told me this on Friday to take monday off), she just told me to take it because we were so light on patients. I am salaried, so I agreed, thinking she would pay me for it, but when I got my paycheck today, she wrote me a note saying she was going to take out yesterdays hours from my paycheck the next time! So, I called her and told her that I would work those 4 hours next week (my last week here), because I could not lose the money. I am sure she did not like that, but she said OK.

I am leaving tomorrow to take a trip to Disneyland in California and I asked for the rest of this week off like 3 weeks ago. I am afraid she will try not to pay me for it now! I really feel unappreciated here now, so I am glad to be leaving.

MsMin
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Leaving is always difficult. Many employers take it personally. I worked in a place that had a rule that if you had accrued vacation time you couldn't use it once you put in your resignation.
Good luck with your new job. I agree with keeping the trip low key and many employers do appreciate the fact that you are giving them plenty of notice for the time off. I had two kids with new jobs last time we went in Dec. DD25 had started in Sept and DS27 started in July. He had enough accrued time but still gave his employer plenty of notice.
Some coworkers do get jealous so it is best to keep it low key for a while. Don't need to start by making waves.

angel8783
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I will not push being paid for the vacation time I am taking this week, but we have nothing in writing about vacation time or anything, so she is simply making this up. I do think she is angry because she has been able to be out of the office for 4.5 months now and when I leave, she will be forced to sometimes come back in. (She is the doctor's wife). I am going to hold my head high and not burn my bridges behind me, but I just can't believe that after multiple raises and so many compliments, that now it is reduced to refusing to pay for a day that she herself told me to take off (not one I asked for). It is just so manipulative, and I am upset that after two years this is how she is saying goodbye.

Jasper
05-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I have been in Human Resource for 15 years and have heard many horror stories about what happens to people when they leave a company, especially when it is a small business that does not have a handbook that spells out the rules.

If you choose to go to work for someplace that does not have spelled out employee rules than you need to be prepared because there will be things that happen that you will not be happy with.

Flower
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear your new employer is allowing your trip! That is always frustrating, I had a trip planned when I started at my job almost 10 years ago.

As far as leaving your current company, your right, hold your head high and do not burn bridges.

The last job I left was right after college. I had worked there for 3-4 years, it was a small, family run company, but they repaired parts for General Motors (I was in administration). The owner was there everyday I worked, but when I gave my 2 weeks, he stopped talking to me, would not even say hi. He never even said goodbye when I left. I realized alot when I left there.

The best of luck with your new job!