PDA

View Full Version : what to do in southern CA?

jrkcr
05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I have plans to get the southern Ca citypass, and go Nov 16-24th. I want to do the San Diego zoo(saturday), and seaworld(sunday), and Universal Studios Hollywood(monday) BEFORE we go to DL(tues-thurs). Save the best for last!! :mickey:
Are the La Brea tarpits at the Page museum worth seeing?
Anything else in the LA area to see/do? This is our first and last trip there...so we don't want to miss anything!

2Epcot
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you are fitting quite a bit into your vacation. I think you'll be pretty tired after visiting so many theme parks one after the other. The LaBrea tar pits are OK, if you like history, and science, you find it interesting. Not too far the tar pits there is Hollywood ... Chinese theater, the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You can spend an hour or two there, and look at footprints in the cement in front of Grauman's Chinese theater, and see the various star plaques on the sidewalk. Hollywood is only a few minutes drive from Universal Studios.

LouRodriGIS
05-24-2007, 05:57 AM
I've been to San Diego a number of times and these are always must sees when I go:

* La Jolla - beaches and kayaking
* Corando - Hotel Del and beaches
* Pt Loma - lighthouse, cliffs, and caves
* Old Town - Margaritas :marg:
* Petco Park - one of the best baseball stadiums in USA

Chescat
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
In San Diego they also have the aircraft carrier the Midway. Its an awesome tour to take. Its three levels.

Frankly, I've taken people to the LaBrea tar pits and people look and say hmm, its bubbling. Now what. Are you into western stuff at all. The Gene Autry Museum which is in the parking lot of the L.A. Zoo is pretty cool. Its not just Gene Autry's stuff. They've captured the west through movie memorabila and also stuff from the old west (Buffalo Bill's show, etc). If that's the sort of thing you like, its on the other side of Griffith Park where the fire was and fortunately wasn't damaged at all.

If you like some thrill rides and don't want to go too far. There's Knott's Berry Farm that's just a little ways west of Disneyland. They still have their western exhibits in there and those upside down right side up rides I won't go on (including one of the longest wooden rollercoasters around). They have a great Chicken Dinner place that's outside the park if you just want to hit that. We've been going there since I was a kid. Also check out their stores for the jam.

Word of warning though. The parks will be pretty busy when you are here during that period of time. We normally go for my birthday to DLR the weekend before Thanksgiving and its pretty busy. Also don't even consider getting in a car on Wed before Thanksgiving after 12:00pm. Every person in the city is on the move for some reason then. It gets real ugly.

jrkcr
06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I think we will change our dates to the week of Nov 12th. MAYBE less people...Other kids still in school...

And yes, my vacation will be packed full. But we are pretty laid back and will spend most days "strolling" around the parks and zoo. Except at DL-which is when I turn into a 5 year old...:minnie:

scoot241
06-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Here's what we did with our CityPasses, but it was just DW and I: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=106382

I wrote that report last night, and looking back at it today, I just realized how long it really is... just a word of warning.

jrkcr
06-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks Scoot! I read your honeymoon trip repot...sounds GREAT! Wasn't too long at all...Congrats to ya'll both! :thumbsup: