PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to DLR - need tips - top 5 lists, etc.

Baloo Da Man!
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a conference in Anaheim in Nov. so DW and I are ditching the kids and spending a few extra Disney days together. We are booked at the Grand Californian. While we love WDW, we have never been to DLR. Could I, perhaps, solicit a few "top 5 can't miss attractions" lists for the parks from the veterans out there? Thanks.

Maleficent's Dad
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
It's a much different place than WDW - and opinions range on that subject.

However, the attractions:
1. Indiana Jones (DLP)
2. Aladdin (CA Park)
3. Space Mountain (DLP - so different from WDW!)
4. California Screaming (CA Park)
5. The new Nemo submarine in DLP - no reviews yet! ;)

NotaGeek
05-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Hold on to your hats and glasses ... I am gonna pop this over to the Vacation Planning forum so you are sure to get lots of responses.

My 5 are;

1. Space Mountain
2. Pirates
3. Fantasyland
4. Indy
5. Breakfast at Steakhouse 55 (formerly Granville's)

tinkwest
05-15-2007, 03:40 AM
My top 5 attractions for a "familiar with WDW but first time Disneyland Resort" visitor (in no particular order):

Indiana Jones (Disneyland)
Matterhorn Bobsleds (Disneyland)
Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland)
Space Mountain (Disneyland)
California Screamin' (DCA)

For entertainment purposes, if I were to choose one from each park:

Aladdin (DCA)
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (Disneyland)

Mufasa
05-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Top of that list should be the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (and as a guest of the resort since you're staying at the Grand Californian definitely take advantage of Early Entry into the park to get in line when available)- the lines for the attraction are going to be long- every day for a long time to come, regardless of what season you're visiting.

It won't be a question so much of Finding Nemo for most guests, but finding where the end of the line is once the attraction starts up :)

Carol
05-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Don't avoid an attraction just because the "world" has the same one. The name might be the same but the attraction versions are much better in California.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. Indy
3. Space Mountain
4. Mr. Toad (I agree with Michael about all of Fantasyland.)
5. Aladdin

Top of that list should be the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (and as a guest of the resort since you're staying at the Grand Californian definitely take advantage of Early Entry into the park to get in line when available)- the lines for the attraction are going to be long- every day for a long time to come, regardless of what season you're visiting.
Thanks for that tip. We will definitely head there first thing this summer.

Melanie
05-15-2007, 07:32 AM
My top 5 attractions for a "familiar with WDW but first time Disneyland Resort" visitor (in no particular order):

Matterhorn Bobsleds (Disneyland)
Space Mountain (Disneyland)
California Screamin' (DCA)

For entertainment purposes, if I were to choose one from each park:

Aladdin (DCA)
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (Disneyland)

I believe I have the exact same answers as you, Linda! :thumbsup:

caldisney
05-17-2007, 11:18 PM
It's tough to limit it to five, but here goes.

Soarin Over California (DCA)
Haunted Mansion (Disneyland)
Splash Mountain (Disneyland)

For entertainment, I agree with the other post.

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (Not to be missed. They are hilarious. Disneyland)
Aladdin (DCA)

HndrdPrcnt
05-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Something that everyone seems to have forgotten is Fantasmic! I believe that Fantasmic! at Disneyland is so much better than the MGM version. For best viewing, get to New Orleans Square right as the first showing ends. Get some snacks and some hot chocolate and then as the show ends and people start to clear out, rush to the front and sit right on the Rivers of America for the best viewing of the show. You will have about an hour wait, but if you come prepared with snacks and hot coco, maybe even a thin blanket, you will be set.

As far as attractions:
1) Tiki Room (diff. than MK)
2) Matterhorn Bobsleds (DL)
3) Space Mountain (DL)
4) Indy (DL)
5) California Screamin' (DCA)
ok and 6) Mr. Toad's (DL)
and 7) Casey Junior (DL)

ddcrna
05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
1. Pirates
2. Indiana Jones
3. Aladdin
4. Matterhorn
5. Haunted Mansion/Space Mtn (Depends on if you like the coasters - SM is more intense than WDW)

Mommytink20
05-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Our family's top 5:

1. Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast
(Disneyland hotel)

2. Aladdin Show (DCA) *worth the wait outside

3. Matterhorn (A Disneyland one and only!)

4. Pirates (Disneyland)

5. Tower of terror! (DCA)

Have fun!!

little disney lovers
06-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Haven't been since May 2006, so haven't seen the new Nemo one. But my top five for adults would be (in no particular order)-
* Alladin Show
* Space mountain
* California Soarin'
* Matterhorn
* Fireworks!!!!

Also have a go at the Paradise Pier arcade games, and win you loved one a soft toy!
Oh, and lastly meet stitch in the innoventions building, you can have a personal chat with him then he will take a photo of you and send you an e-postcard, Cool!

Have Fun!

scoot241
06-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Top 5? Tough, but here goes:
1. Space Mountain (it's awesome!)
2. Matterhorn (nothing like it in WDW... it's the original Disney mountain)
3. California Screamin'
4. Pirates of the Carribbean
5. If you haven't done Soarin', I'd put it here... if you have, I'd go with Indiana Jones.

Aladdin is probably the best show I've seen in a theme park (Disney or otherwise).

Get on the Nemo subs if you can.