PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #28

King Triton
05-14-2007, 08:58 AM
It's time for a battle of the mountains. Is it perennial favorite Splash Mountain, or the new kid on the block, Expedition:Everest?

Y100Q29 will appear in Accommodations, most likely on Tuesday.

One final reminder: the review of questions 11-20 appears here:
Review of Questions 11-20 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104399)

BrerSchultzy
05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Okay, so I opened the thread with my normal YOOHQ glee....and was stopped dead in my tracks. EE or SplMtn? Huh? Why would you do this to us? I actually felt BAD for EE that I HAD to pick Splash Mountain. But Splash Mountain it is. If only for sentimental reasons. Sure, EE is bigger and technically a better "ride", and the technology on EE is truly very impressive. But these two rides really embody why I love Disney World. GREAT stories, told well, in a captivating way. EE is great, and it proves to some of us cynics that Disney Imagineering is STILL the best in the world, but Splash Mountain, and most importantly, Brer Rabbit, have got to get the nod here.

darthmacho
05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
I haven't tried EE, but it is going to have to be really impressive to top my favorite MK ride, and my 3rd favorite ride in all of WDW, Splash Mountain. If it does manage to top it, it will be the third AK ride, along with Dinosaur and the Safari, to do so. :mickey:

avantgardeinker
05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
This question is just not fair. I voted for Splash Mountain, but ONLY because I haven't been on EE yet. We're going in 206 more days and I'm sure it will be a favorite!!!

:mickey:

4ubie1
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Ok..i have to admit that the reason I voted for SM is 'cause i have yet to ride E:E. :( But i know that both are going to be on my "must" list next time I visit. I think both are great rides in their own right and should be ridden once at least on your trip.:D

Dreamer7080
05-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Personally, I don't see why so many people love Splash Mountain so much. Its fun for a ride every once and a while, but its just not on my 'cant miss' list. Everest gets my vote! :mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
05-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I haven't been on EE but know I will like it. Even so, I really love SM, so I think EE might have a hard time beating it in my book.

Jeff G
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
This is like comparing apples to potatoes. Both are great but in their very own way. I go with Splash because it's more of a throw back to the parks used to be. To me EE is good with some great features but all in all another rollercoaster.

glenpreece
05-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I voted for EE only because I hate the smell of the water on Splash. Both are great but atleast I don't get wet on EE.

mook3y
05-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Boy, difficult choice here. Love them both!

poeticeclipse
05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Alrighty, it's Splash for me! I LOVE EE but Splash gets my vote for nostalgia and for being one of the best rides i've ever been on. I love water rides so that really puts it two strides ahead. I love Splash Mountain!

castlelady36
05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Both are fantastic but I am going to have to pick SM for a few reasons.

1. It is a classic
2. It is longer
3. Water Smell!!!!
4. The drop

EE is great but it is short. Great ride though!!!

c&d
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I voted for EE only because it is new. I love Splash Mtn. but I'm having so much fun getting to know EE. The wait line is just awesome, I haven't been able to take it all in yet. Also since I haven't been on EE that much there are still little surprises along the way.

Figgyluv03
05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I haven't ridden EE yet, so I had to choose SM. My goal is ride EE on my next trip!

Ms.Disney
05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I went with E:E it was a hard choice :mickey:

Vanlandingham
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Both are great rides, but for me this was a no contest question: Splash Mountain wins for many of the reasons previously mentioned.

2Epcot
05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
This was not a tough choice for me. I love both rides, but Expedition: Everest is just an amazing ride is so many respects. I love just walking through the line before I actually get to the ride. I enjoy the speed, and going backwards. Splash is fun, and I love the drop, and the music, but I won't always ride it, depending on the time of day or year ... since I don't want to get wet. Everest I can ride anytime ... so I'll take the Yeti, over the bears.

DizNee143
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
splash mountain all the way!! its one of my favorites..plus im not that big of a fan of coasters...so ill take splash over any of the other mountains any day!!! :mickey:

Tynkerbelle
05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
That was tough, but I went with Splash Mountain. Don't get me wrong, EE is an incredible ride and the queue theming is top notch, but I like the whole little story and music that goes with SM. I also like being lulled into a false sense of security - it's a nice relaxing boat ride with crooning critters and great views, then next thing you know you speeding down the big drop at the end!

battle beast
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Wow. 50-50. I have to go with Spalsh Mountain, simply because I like the jets that drench you half way into the ride. MAke it way past cool!

I also like being able to pose for your shot, and the drop.

EE was fun, but it was kinda tame for me. I actually yawned.

SpecJoe Magic
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
This is the closest poll that I've seen in a while. My vote for Everest gives it a 29 to 28 lead at the moment. Both of them are great attractions, but I give the edge to Everest because the seating is much more comfortable. My reason for voting for Everest might sound silly, but I'm 6'9'' tall, and leg room is very important to me.

tmetiva
05-14-2007, 02:27 PM
This was really hard as we just rode EE in April for the first time. While it is an awesome ride, Splash Mountain is our family favorite. My 18 year old starts college this fall so this was our last spring trip for a few years :( , but we'll be going back at Christmas time again!

BritCody
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
In a couple of years this will be a tough question for me, but for now Splash Mountain rules for me. Splash is one of my favorite rides, but I must admit I really did like EE when I rode it last year.

k_reile
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
i choose splash mountain because I have not yet been to the animal kingdom to try expedition everest...I will in Sept though...so who knows I may have to change my vote then....we will see how that trip goes.

MR SANDERS
05-14-2007, 02:57 PM
First, I'm kind of sad that folks made an uninformed choice. If you haven't experienced the ride, how can you choose?

I love the story that Splash tells. I grew up having Uncle Remus (the Disney version) read to me. I have continued reading the same book to my children and even reading it to their classes at school. It is another bit of sadness for me that as great as the ride is, most children don't even understand the theming because it has become another victim of political correctness.

Hopping off the box now...

I voted for Everest because I can share the thrill of this ride with my DW. She hates roller coasters and I love them. This is one of the few coasters she will ride with me. The theming here is wonderful and the backwards bit adds a neat twist to the ride. It's not as intense as R&R, but not as tame as TMRR or Space Mtn. It's a good middle ground with an interesting ride and a great theme.

KAT1811
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Okay, I haven't done EE yet so I picked Splash Mountain. I agree with the poster that said EE has to be GREAT for it to surpass Splash Mountain in the rankings. I love Splash because it goes on for what seems to be forever and I love the in and out thrills and songs. I do wish there was a "green" version of the ride so little ones could go on it, my youngest DDs would love it just as much as their older sister and we do.

In 120 I am looking forward to experiencing EE for the first time!!!

Mickey91
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Well I voted for Splash. I hate roller coasters! So even though it's as some would call an uninformed choice, it is the one that I KNOW I would like the most. I don't ever plan on getting on EE. Sometimes you don't need the experience to know what is best!:mickey:

Kairi_7378
05-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Every time I think you posted the hardest question ever, you top it somehow! This is really like comparing two completely different WDW experiences.

EE is the most beautiful roller coaster that I have ever seen. For that reason, it gets my vote. It ties the creativity of the Imagineers with some new technology.

SM has to be the most creative log flume ride ever made. I really like the bright colors and the audio animotronics. They made me feel like I was in a cartoon. However, I thought that it was hard to follow the story in there since I haven't seen Song of the South.

Polynesian Dweller
05-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Talk about asking a hard one. Both are terrific rides and must do's for us. Not really sure why SM but just that very little bit more enjoyable, I guess.:confused:

GrmGrninGost
05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
As much as I love EE, I had to vote Splash. EE is better as a thrill ride, but in my mind Splash is better as a ride. It offers so much for so many!:mickey: To me Splash is one of the rides that makes WDW what it is, family friendly.

indytraveler
05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
EE Because it is better.

jenperich
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
I answered this question not having ever been on EE. But, my answer was EE. It just seems much more exciting than Splash Mtn. I'll get to experience EE myself in Nov. and I CAN'T wait!

RAIDER
05-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Brilliant question :thumbsup:
I plumped for EE on implulse

WDWfeelslikehome
05-15-2007, 06:26 AM
Toughest choice yet. DW and I love both of these rides and can't miss either one on a trip. We went a different route when deciding, we went with the views. Although EE has some great views of teh surrounding landscape and SE, on SM you can sometimes catch glimpses of the parades or fireworks. After much debate we went with SM for the total package, but will not miss either one on our next trip.:thumbsup:

T-Belle
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
OK, this one was tough! I finally decided to vote for SM although EE is my new favorite.

January-2007
05-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Splash Mountain, all the way.

johnO
05-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I think a lot of people will pick SM for sentimental reasons. It was a tough choice for me because of that.

lightyearfan
05-15-2007, 01:26 PM
well for me and dw it's Splash Mountain, although i cant ride EE due to the fact that i'll get sick, my dw has ridden it an when she came off i asked what is better and she said no question Splash Mointain, with this in mind 1 is more of a thrill ride(EE) while the other is more of a show style ride, i love the fact that while your on Splash Mtn, it really makes you feel that your in the Brair Patch , it's also a much longer ride and that drop at the end is WOW!!

BelleBeauty
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I had to go with Splash Mountain. I love EE, but the obvious choice was SM because of the nostalgia and classic Disney. This is a can't be missed ride for us - regardless of the weather - and usually we do it over and over again. It's also the song that I am most likely to search out when listening to online radio. It just captures the classic Disney magic for me. But EE is fantastic!

snifflesmcg
05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I voted for EE.:coaster: It's one of a kind. I do love splash mountain but almost every park in the country has their version of it (none as great as disney though).

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm gonna say EE just because of it's uniqueness in ride and the view while your heading up that STEEP assent.
:goofy: