PDA

View Full Version : Rumour re: "Disco" Space Mountain

kittylove
05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
I heard a rumour on the flight home from Orlando about Space Mountain. The man sitting in front of me said his wife worked for a resort. He said that they were going to close SM, fix it up a bit, and make some changes...I believe his words were "do some sort of disco thing to it." I was a bit horrified...disco? So, I was researching Disneyland and read about their temporary addition of rock music on some attractions to heighten the experience, and I'm wondering if that is what they have planned for SM. I was just glancing through old posts, and didn't see it mentioned right off...I apologize if this has been covered already. Anybody know anything?

Figment!
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
There are two Rock related alternative versions of Space Mountain.

1) Rock-It Space Mountain-This version of Space Mountain is exclusive to the Grad Nite Events and has had two sub-versions.

a)Disneyland debuted this alternative ride experience at their 2006 Grad Nite Event. The enchaned ride featured an on-board soundtrack of "Let It Out" by Hoobastank and a synchronized light show.

b)The Magic Kingdom recently launched their own version during their 2007 Grad Nite Event, although it was lackluster by comparison. This version of the ride did feature a rock music soundtrack, but it was not onboard--the music was played over the attraction's internal PA system. Additionally, this version did not feature a light show.

2) Rockin' Space Mountain-This version of Space Mountain was part of the Rockin' Both Parks Event at Disneyland. Much like their version of "Rock It" it featured an on-board soundtrack and a synchronized light show. This version's featured music was "Higher Ground" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Additionally, a "space stage performance" storyline was added to the ride via an initial introduction over the soundtrack by a radio disc jockey. This version of the attraction was available daily from January 3 through April 26, 2007.

-------------

The capability for Disneyland's version to add the light show came during its semi-recent major refurbishment. With the Magic Kingdom's version rumoured for a similar refurbishment within the next 24 months, there is some speculation of the capability to run the " Rockin' " version to be added.

This speculation though is without reference to any significant precedent for the Magic Kingdom running temporary or seasonal version of rides.

Minus show changes to the Country Bear Jamboree, the Magic Kingdom has avoided any changes to rides that would not allow its Guests to experience the "original" attraction during a certain time of the year.

The original intent for the " Rockin' " version of the ride was to provide a special nighttime opportunity for Disneyland Guests. Therefore it might be more likely to expect the version to be available during Evening Extra Magic Hours or an after hours hard-ticket event--again if the capability is added.

Another factor to consider with regard to an East Coast Cousin of Rockin' Space Mountain is its poor reception at Disneyland. While some Guests certainly enjoyed it, Guest Service reportedly received more complaints about the light show "ruining the original darkness" that made the attraction so thrilling. While this may not kill the capability being added to the Magic Kingdom's attraction, it certainly isn't helping it along either.