PDA

View Full Version : Whats so great about POC?

dumbo ears
05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
:thumbsup: I have ridden POC twice. One was before it was redone and one was after. Seems like everyone on intercot loves it. I thought it was okay. the themeing is good. They have good animatronics but nothing on that ride makes me want to ride it again. the only reason I rode it a second time was because I wanted to see if they made it better. I know this will probably anger a lot of people but his is not ment to hate on POC its just to see what the big deal is about it. so any input is great!

SBETigg
05-13-2007, 06:34 PM
You're entitled to not like it. Just don't ride.

I love it. I think the theming is amazing. I love feeling immersed in the surroundings. The song is infectious and sets a mood. The animatronics all capture my interest- so much to look at! The drop is exciting. Plus, I always ride it with my husband. Every ride reminds me of riding it with him on our honeymoon, so it also has sentimental appeal. Very romantic!

I could ride it over and over. Different strokes, as they say.

Marker
05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Why would this "anger" anyone. Some people like it, some people don't. That's life. That's one of the wonders of WDW, there's something for everyone. But certainly not worth "anger".

A simple differenct of opinion is not worth anger, controversy, drama, disrespect. Nor should a simple difference of opinion be reason for being offended. If so, people gotta relax. People need more "Magic" in their heart.

AuntDJ
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
For us it is the song....yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me....

And the Redhead....we want the redhead!

Whenever you see a grown woman and a 9-10 year old boy around the parks singing this, it is probably us!!

DJ

larandtra
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I dont care for the Tomorrowland Speedway and I love POC. I guess it is just a matter of taste and if you dont enjoy something noone will convince you otherwise. I love it because of the nostalgia factor and the fact it was well ahead of its time.

BigRedDad
05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
You have to realize when PoC originally came out. It was a masterpiece then. They added a few changes and then they changed it over to image the movie.

It is a classic. You may not like, you do not have to ride it.

Mickey91
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
It's just a family friendly, fun, awesome ride!!:mickey: The song is great, the comedy is great, the whole ride is wonderful! Don't take this wrong, but if you have to ask what the big deal is, then you probably don't need to ride it. It's okay not to like a ride. There are plenty of other rides to enjoy.:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-13-2007, 10:25 PM
We love POTC, it is our favorite ride in MK. :thumbsup:

Why?? I can't really explain, it is just Walt Disney World to us!! :mickey:

We all love/dislike different rides for different reasons..I can't stand Space Mountain!! :secret: That is why there is so many rides to enjoy.

SpecJoe Magic
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I've seen topics similar to this before. The fact is that it won't make you like it any better if we explain why we like it so much. You either like it or you don't, and your opinion is just as legitimate as any of ours. I don't care much for Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin, but it seems to be very popular. Not everyone is going to agree with the majority. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way as you do about it. WDW's popularity is due to the wide variety of attractions available to experience. If you don't like a certain attraction, then spend your time doing something that you do enjoy.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-13-2007, 11:21 PM
"Pi-rate"....

:heart:

Dakota Rose
05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Personally, I prefer DL's POC to WDW's. The differences are slight and mostly in the waiting area. But the reason I love POC is mostly nostalgia. The second reason would be the same reason I love every other Disney ride: they make it feel real!

prttynpnk
05-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Nope, you don't have to like it, it's ok.
This is one thing I love about Intercot. Listening to full-grown adults like myself vehemently defend thngs like a fiberglass elephant as a near religious experience.
All opinions are welcome!
By the by, I love POTC- hey, who doesn't want the redhead?

irish1967
05-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Like my DS recently said to me, we'd be really boring if we all were exactly the same!

Don't worry - a difference of opinion, nicely stated doesn't anger anyone!

Why do I love the ride - don't know - I always have and it is definitely my favorite ride at WDW and I can't wait to see what it is like at DL (someday...)

snifflesmcg
05-14-2007, 08:22 AM
HMMMM.....WHY do we love POC so much??? I'm not sure I can answer that but I did like it better before the update, to each their own. POC is a classic to me and I remember seeing it for the first time when I was 9 and they all were so real. I have to agree that the song is SO catchy and you catch yourself singing it for days. I'm sure we all have rides that we aren't in love with (I have a small list). That would be an interesting thread wouldn't it?

darthmacho
05-14-2007, 08:24 AM
:pirate: Aaarrr! Ye scurvey dog! Ye'll be swimmin' with the sharks if ye don't be liken' Pirates. Aaarrr!

Seriously, I doubt anyone would be angry to hear that you don't like a certain ride, but since you are asking, what I like about it, and many other WDW rides, is the incredible amount of detail that is involved. Riding it is more of an adventure than a ride, with lots of animatronic action going on, a great storyline, and fun music. I don't think that three blockbuster movies could have been inspired from it if there wasn' something substantial there. What it lacks in thrills, it makes up for in substance.

Considering you asked, there also may be a part of you that wants to like it more. Dig deeper, and perhaps you will find that indeed, PoC is a treasure, and remember that X always marks the spot. :chest:

DVC2004
05-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I love it. It's such a classic. I remember the first time I rode it and I was in awe- especially when we emerged from the drop into ths room with the ship battle going on. I looked up at the "sky" and I couldn't believe I was in a ride! I had never seen anything like it before (or since to be honest)- and I loved it ever since.:thumbsup:

T-Belle
05-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I love the tradition of it and the fact that Walt:notworth: had a hand in it's design.

4ubie1
05-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I like PoTC :pirate: for several different reasons. First being that it is my mom's favorite ride. Watching her just get all giddy and singing along with the song..priceless. Secondly, it kindof takes me back to the days of Walt. It reminds me of the shows he would do explaining what he was up to in his "world" It sortof brings me closer to the man behind the magic :mickey: And thirdly, it is just amusing to wander through this ride. :D

Don't worry..you don't have to like every ride in WDW. Just as long as you like WDW..you will be safe here..j/k ;)

Ian
05-14-2007, 09:22 AM
You're entitled not to like the ride. Not everything is for everyone.

I'm sure there are attractions that you like that I don't. To each his own.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
:pirate: Aaarrr! Ye scurvey dog! Ye'll be swimmin' with the sharks if ye don't be liken' Pirates. Aaarrr!

, what I like about it, and many other WDW rides, is the incredible amount of detail that is involved. Riding it is more of an adventure than a ride, with lots of animatronic action going on, a great storyline, and fun music. I don't think that three blockbuster movies could have been inspired from it if there wasn' something substantial there. What it lacks in thrills, it makes up for in substance.

, PoC is a treasure, and remember that X always marks the spot. :chest:
Well said, mate! :yay: :pirate:
I actually have a POC guest room...:blush:

CU Tiger
05-14-2007, 12:43 PM
The POC is just a classic. When it first came out, I was so amazed :jaw: at how real the people looked and the effects. It may be lame if compared to today’s technology, but it is just a well themed ride. :thumbsup: It is also a good ride to get out of the heat. :mickey:

Marker
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, there's no way, now or ever, that POTC will ever be "Lame". It may not be fast, it may not be scary, it may not be overly dramatic.

But with all the key ingredients in play, it's a truly wonderful experience... and besides the ride itself, the number 1 key ingredient in making POTC a wonderful experience is IMAGINATION.

If you rely solely on the ride itself to entertain you, you'll probably be disappointed. But if you allow your imagination to work, it can be amazing. Unfortunately, I don't think our imaginations get exercised as they once did.

Mickeydream
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I love the POC for many of the reasons mentioned here - Walt was a part of the design, the pirate song, the theming, the gentle "swoop" in the ride.... but I love the pirate with the hairy legs! :) :pirate:

GenieOfPA
05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
i love the special effects on that ride. especially the davy jones waterfall. taht part is awesome! and the animatronics plus the songs just make the ride perfect. along with the drop that you wouldn't expect if you haven't rode it before. i love this ride. but like others have said, just because some like the ride, doesn't mean everyone will :mickey:

ghost999
05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
1. Redhead
2. pirates
3. Song
4. Fog of Davey jones
5. Fight scene
how bout to make it short i say this: THE WHOLE RIDE! :mickey:

Aurora
05-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Personally, I prefer DL's POC to WDW's. The differences are slight and mostly in the waiting area. But the reason I love POC is mostly nostalgia. The second reason would be the same reason I love every other Disney ride: they make it feel real!

Not just the waiting area. How about the whole bayou? We went to DL in 2005 after many trips to WDW (and a childhood trip to DL in 1975) and I was AMAZED at how much longer and more beautiful DL's version is. Wonder why they edited it for WDW.

dumbo ears
05-15-2007, 08:44 PM
thanks for all this input on the ride. I totally understand why most like it now. after i have read your replys i realized that both times i rode it i didn't really look at and admire the scenery and I will do this definetely next time. I guess everyone isn't the same. hey i love tom sawyer island and not many people like it that much. thanks again for everything:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I can't say POC is my favorite ride, but it's on my short list.:thumbsup: The intricate detail, the excitement, the song, the redhead! WOW! What's not to like? :pirate: On the other hand, there are rides I don't care for, so I guess we're all entitled to our opinion. It really would be a boring world if we all liked the same things, now wouldn't it?

Figgyluv03
05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
My brothers and I still walk around the house singing "Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates life for me.":trio:

grumpycajun
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
For me part of it is nostalgia. I went to Disneyland for the first time in '76 and back then it was state of the art. I still love it. I even enjoy the waiting line. Nice and cool on a hot summer day. My kids love it, too. We wouldn't miss it.:thumbsup:

StitchplusTink=STINK
05-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Seriously, I doubt anyone would be angry to hear that you don't like a certain ride, but since you are asking, what I like about it, and many other WDW rides, is the incredible amount of detail that is involved. Riding it is more of an adventure than a ride, with lots of animatronic action going on, a great storyline, and fun music. I don't think that three blockbuster movies could have been inspired from it if there wasn' something substantial there. What it lacks in thrills, it makes up for in substance.

Considering you asked, there also may be a part of you that wants to like it more. Dig deeper, and perhaps you will find that indeed, PoC is a treasure, and remember that X always marks the spot. :chest:

couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!POC is great now!!!it cool they turned the music down to a whisper. and jack sparrow is the best audio animotronic i have ever seen!!!!! definetly worth the wait for the refurb!!!!!!!!:chest: :joy:

Donald Duck 224
05-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I love it. It has great theming and good effects since it was updated. Plus, it is still classic

LudwigVonDrake
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
It's the song, the atmosphere, the fact that you see/hear something new every time. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't ride it. I love it and ride it multiple times when I visit :pirate:

Deesdisney
05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I love this ride. I can not leave without riding it. I grew up with the rides at disneyland. Maybe that is why I love it so much. It is apart of my past and now my present cause now I take my kids and they love it too.