PDA

View Full Version : Rides with arm in sling?

hootch
05-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I fractured my upper humerus just five weeks prior to our trip. Does anyone have experience or know of limitations in Disney if I am still in my arm brace?

I hope to start physical therapy two or three weeks prior to the trip, but there is always a risk. My wife and I have discussed rescheduling the trip, but we may not be able to get the dining we want at this later time.

irish1967
05-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I would talk to your doctor and physical therapist about this. We leave in 33 days, arrive in 35 and I have acute tendonitis in my foot - my doctor and I have talked once and will finalize my game plan on my last visit to him before our trip.

Essentially, there are only a couple of things I am considering "must dos" on this trip (POTC for example) but other than that, I am going to play it by ear. I imagine that I will spend a lot of time people watching but that is ok.

Of course, with a foot problem, I always have the option of renting a wheelchair, but I want to keep that as a last resort or if my doctor says that I really need to utilize one.

We are going with 20 other people, so rescheduling isn't an option.

mttafire
05-13-2007, 03:00 PM
IMHO, You would be fine for the VAST majority of rides. However, There is a few that id check with your physician about first. I could see where Space M. could be too bumpy for you. Maybe not but check and see. You might get lucky and find out that other than a little pain you wont do any damage to your upper arm.

princessjojo
05-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Ouch!!! That hurts just thinking about it. If it were me, I would, if possible wait until the first visit or two with PT, then get their opinion regarding the amount of "stress" your arm can take. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to make the trip as long as you have some type of OTC pain reliever such ibuprofen. You may have to give up certain rides such as SM, BTMRR, RnR, or Dinosaur(too bad, not) but IMO you should be fine. The humerous is a strong bone, but I don't know the extent of the fracture.

Just do what you can to help it heal and make the best decision on you current health status at the time. Disney will be there for later trips should you have to reschedule.

Good luck and :pixie: for a speedy recovery!

hootch
05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
One thing making me more comfortable with staying with our current itinerary is that we'll probably bypass the rougher rides. My son hasn't shown the inclination in the last two visits to be too adventurous. My daughter loved Barnstormer last year but is just above 40" so BMTR, Splash Mountain and Test Track may be the worst.

I know the best thing top do is to wait and see but there are things that we have scheduled that may be impossible to get now let alone in two weeks.

It's a large crack but the bone is not separated so no surgery. Most of the pain now is from the bruises and I always travel with over the counter stuff.

SpecJoe Magic
05-13-2007, 11:20 PM
The only two attractions that you may not be able to ride are Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Mission: Space. They have over-the-shoulder restraints. I think it would be very difficult for you to put your arm in a position that would allow for the restraint to lower properly. Mission: Space probably wouldn't put too much stress on your arm assuming you can lower the restraint to where it needs to be, but Rock 'n' Roller Coaster might be too rough even if you do find a way to lower the restraint into the proper position. The other attractions shouldn't be a problem in regards to the restraints, but I'm not sure how much stress that your arm can take.

MNNHFLTX
05-14-2007, 12:39 PM
This is one question that you definitely have to run past your doctor. He/she may want you to avoid rides that are likely to cause stress on the fractured site. Even with the sling, it is possible that sudden jerky movements or bumping of the affected arm could delay healing.

kakn7294
05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I suggest taking a small pillow (you can get cheap ones at a fabric store, the craft dept of Walmart, or on clearance in any store's home dept). Use it to pad your arm against the outside of any attraction in which your arm might have contact with the car if a jerky movement occurs. You can also use it to help rest your arm when you are taking a break or eating. My DD broke her humerus in August (hers was bad - required surgery) and we took a pillow wherever we went for a month or two. She would complain about how tired she got of the sling, so whenever she was resting, the sling was off and she used the pillow. It slips easily in a backpack or tote bag when not in use.

Jasper
05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Join my voice to the chorus of voices saying be sure to talk to your doc or therapist about what you can and can't do.

Granted I am not a doctor, but I think you ought to be able to do just about anything you want. I know you mentioned not going on the rougher rides because of your children, but you may still want to do a few. In that case you may want to consider taking an Ace bandage along and if you do go on a rough ride then you can wrap your arm to your body and immobilize it that way.

hootch
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Rest assured that this will be discussed with the orthopedist as well as the physical therapist. It was a topic at the initial consultation.

One of my concerns (really my wife's) was whether Disney would restrict me with a brace. I will be wearing a brace for the next few weeks that fits around my chest and has cups to restrict movement for my lower and upper arms. If there are no issues with wearing that on rides then I should be ok. I know I'll have some pain but it will be significantly less than what I have now and worth it to keep our vacation intact.