PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos in the parks?

disneyfamily05
05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
We were in WDW in December and didn't have any problems with bugs/mosquitos (sp?). I have a very severe reaction (once requiring a trip to the ER) to mosquito bites and we are going this June and I was curious how the mosquitos were. Anyone have any recollections as to how bad they are? I was especially worried about AK. Thanks for the info!

kathiep
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
My DS has a history of really bad reactions too.

We were then last September and he didn't receive one mosquito bite. :mickey:

I can't really talk about what it might be like in June; but hopefully it won't be too different from our experience.

princessjojo
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
We were there last June and as I recall, I don't remember us having any issues with mosquitoes at all. Mosquitoes in our area typically come out in the evenings and if that is accurate for most places, then you shouldn't have any problems at all since AK closes earlier than the other parks. And we should have noticed any issue because if there is one around he will bite and bite my younger DS over and over again until he looks like he has been to battle with them.

GenieOfPA
05-12-2007, 07:06 PM
we usually go in late may to WDW, any haven't ever had any encounters with mosquitos. mostly just gnats. the only place i KNOW we saw mosquitos (and actually got bit) was on the boatride from POFQ to DTD. but that was mainly cause it is a little secluded river surrounded by trees and wetlands basically. a perfect home for creepy crawlies. so as long as you stay clear of marshy rivers, you should be fine.

DisneyGiant
05-12-2007, 07:11 PM
I had a problem with mosquitoes a couple of years ago - apparently one of the hurricanes wrecked havoc with the mosquito control techniques.

My ankles were so bitten up to the point of uncomfortable. Fortunately I remembered an old remedy of putting toothpaste on them (not the gel - the paste) to quell the itching.

I think I got them because we rode outside on the friendship boats instead of in the air conditioning.

Usually WDW is pleasantly free of the critters........

emmatink
05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
We have been in July, December, June, Aug. and we cannot remember one time being bit or eaten up with bites from "skeeters" as we call them in the south! Skintastic by "OFF!" is always a good back up in the bag!

dizneyfreek
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
We didn't see any and we just got back from WL. Just alot of lovebugs flying around. They didn't bother us.

biodtl
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Last year we had a problem one evening with biting bugs, but I don't think they were mosquitos (they generally leave me alone and these bites were different).

That said, if you have a problem, I would suggest using a mild product (like skin so soft) just to be sure. It's worth it if the alternative is the ER.

GrmGrninGost
05-12-2007, 10:56 PM
We have been to WDW in June, July, Aug., Sept., Oct. and Dec. and I don't recall ever seeing a mosquito in the parks. On occaission I have seen a few around the resorts at night, usually around the lakes. But that is still a very rare thing. Have a great time!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I've been at all different times of the year and haven't ever had a problem. Another remedy to get rid of the itch is to put meat tenderizer on the bite.

huzzah4
05-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I have not had any problems with them that I can recall. I would say that they have some pretty extensive mosquito control operations in place. Keep in mind though that WDW is built in the middle of what is essentially a very large swamp, and depending upon the weather they could always crop up. I have started using a product made by Bullfrog while kayaking that is a combination SPF 30 or 50 sunblock and mosquito repellent. It comes in a non-aerosol spray bottle so that it applies quickly and cleanly, and has worked very well for me so far. For the last year or two, I haven't gotten bitten or burned on any of the rivers, lakes, or campgrounds I have been to, I can't reccomend this product enough.

JPL
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I can't recall ever having one bite at WDW and I am a magnet for bites other places:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
05-13-2007, 04:02 PM
DD and I got all biten up on Halloween. I'm not even sure what bite us, I don't think it was mosquitos.DD has a history of bad reactions, bad infections that had to be treated with antibotics several times. One that she got looked pretty nasty, on the inside of her thigh of all places. But, it healed up with some neosporin type cream really easily.

We got the bites standing in line to get our picture taken with Cinderella's Carriage during the Halloween Party. They had it set up in the stroller parking area by Its a Small World. I know other people on line we're getting bite to. There is water over there, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I would definitely take bug spray for any evening or night activities with your history. Also take along anti-itch and antibiotic cream, just in case.

Have a great trip!!

baby minnie's mommy
05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
As many times as I've been to Disney I've never really thought about it till now, even though I live in FL and know how bad the bugs can get! We want to take our toddler this month however, so I've had to consider it. You know, I can't remember being bothered by bites at Disney!
In our town we have trucks that go around at night and spray. I would imagine Disney has their ways of keeping the bugs away, especially since so much of the entertainment is at night, and that's why I've never thought about it.
I might put some bug spray in the big luggage, but don't plan to take any to the parks. However, there's always a chance of the stray mosquito. If you anticipate a bad reaction it's better to be safe and put something on. Oh, and don't wear perfume or other smelly stuff, as the bugs love it.;)

momof3boysinTN
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
We have been in Sept the last 2 years and in Sept a few years before that and never had a problem with Mosq. I always carry spray just in case. The only annoying bugs we have seen are "love bugs" even staying at POR didnt encounter n mosq. Have a fun trip:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I've been to WDW in May, July and August and have NEVER encountered mosquitoes. Isn't this the time of year for the Love Bugs and I don't mean Herbie :mickey:

TikiGoddess
05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
The only time bugs have been a bother to me was our May trip last year. I got a bug bite while riding the Jungle Cruise and I think that bite bothered me for a month after, I kid you not.

Other than that we've never had a problem with bugs (besides the annoying love bugs and they don't bite). I would wear a repellant just in case.

TikiG

Chase'sPoohBear
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
When I was watching Wishes from the Poly on May 5, I was bitten by chiggers. Both my arms and legs were covered with bug bites. Ten days later, the bites are still present. I would suggest using bug repellant at night.

llamaface
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I am also a, as a PP stated, a "mosquito magnet". I have never had a problem until last September during the last week. We were at MNSSHP and we were standing in line to get our picture taken in front of POC. I must have encountered a swarm or something - I never recieved so many bites at one shot in my life. I think it must have been a fluke or something.

Mickey91
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
We have never encountered a problem with Mosquitoes at the parks.:mickey:

kittylove
05-13-2007, 11:41 PM
We take mosquito wipes (either in a canister of 20 towelettes, or in individual packets)...they're easy to use, don't get all over other people like a spray, won't spill in your bag, and weigh almost nothing. DH and DS 8 also have very unfortunate response to little bloodsucking buggers. Each park has a first aid station where a very nice RN will apply some Benadryl gel and give you an antihistamine if you have a mosquito reaction (no charge)...

snifflesmcg
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I've only ever had a problem with those retched "lovebugs".

kwaller
05-14-2007, 10:01 AM
We have been to DW many times, 3 times in the last 4 years and we are leaving Saturday to go again and that is one thing that has always amazed me, I can't recall ever being bitten by a mosquito or seeing them. I live in the deep south and our yard is a haven for them in the
evenings, but not at DW. They must spray or something at night. I would take something for back up just in case. Never say never, but I don't think it will be a problem.