PDA

View Full Version : new park in Jedberg,SC?

DISFREAKS
05-12-2007, 05:49 PM
We have people telling us that Disney has anounced a new park about 40 miles outside of Charleston,SC. They've said its been in the newspaper but we have'nt seen anything. We thought that if anyone knew about this it would be Intercotees. :mickey:

MarkC
05-12-2007, 10:06 PM
That makes about 15 states that will be receiving new Disney parks soon. Sorry to burst your bubble but those rumors are out there constantly. Unfortunately the only place Disney will continue to build in the foreseeable future is Orlando.

TheRustyScupper
05-13-2007, 11:47 AM
What's next, Cleveland? Juno? Tully?

cetacean01
05-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Hey now, dont mess with cleveland. We have Cedar Point and it kicks most other parks butts.

But really, we do keep sing this happen, I think Disney - BUTTE, Montana would be lovely!

:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Actually, Disney just announced that they are putting a new pack in my backyard... Literally... It has been in the paper, but, I cannot find the article... It is official...

Can we stop living in a dream world where Disney is putting a park in our home state? It just isn't happening.... Stop believing everything you hear...

By the way, if you really believe Disney is building a park in your home state, I have a bridge here in the NY area, the George Washington Bridge, that I am selling... Anyone want to buy?

Ian
05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Uh ... No ...

If you really want to know, use Google. If Disney actually had announced something (which they haven't) a quick Google of "New Disney theme park in South Carolina" would tell you.

Not surprisingly, Google returns nothing of consequence.

drummerboy
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
MODERATOR NOTE:

1. Please be gentler on people who ask this question. They are coming here for friendly advice, not criticism about their supposed gullibility. The original poster simply asked if anyone knew whether it was true. Ian gave good advice regarding a way to find out.

2. Unless you're on the Disney board of directors, you don't know for a fact what Disney might be planning to do. After all, there were "rumors" about a planned Disney park in Virginia not too long ago that turned out to be true.

BrerSchultzy
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I think this stems from the rumor eight or nine years ago, when Disney WAS buying up land in SC...near Union, SC. Turns out, they were building a distribution center for the Disney Store. But ever since then, every few months this rumor keeps popping up in SC. Sorry...but I don't think this one is true....just BASED in truth.

DISFREAKS
05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
We are not stupid or gullible. We simply had some people telling us this and didn't really believe them. But to put the subject to rest we thought who better to ask then Intercotees.

GrumpyFan
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
We are not stupid or gullible. We simply had some people telling us this and didn't really believe them. But to put the subject to rest we thought who better to ask then Intercotees.

I don't think anyone here thought you were stupid or gullible, or anything else for that matter. It's just that this question/rumor comes up at least once a month, sometimes more frequently and it's always "Disney is building a park in ______ (fill in the blank)". So, people tend to get a little testy, sometimes even frustrated answering the question over and over.

pdrlkr
05-13-2007, 10:18 PM
MODERATOR NOTE:

1. Please be gentler on people who ask this question. They are coming here for friendly advice, not criticism about their supposed gullibility. The original poster simply asked if anyone knew whether it was true. Ian gave good advice regarding a way to find out.

2. Unless you're on the Disney board of directors, you don't know for a fact what Disney might be planning to do. After all, there were "rumors" about a planned Disney park in Virginia not too long ago that turned out to be true.

Thanks you! :thumbsup: I have been saying this for years. Not everyone is a Disney expert.

Jasper
05-13-2007, 11:05 PM

I don't think you are gullible or stupid either! This keeps coming up in so many areas that it is not surprising when another one crops up. Plus, with the fact that Disney has said they are looking at some other options besides parks, it is easy to understand why they might go in someplace like yours.

Probably the most important thing to take away from this is that if someone says it was in the paper and you can't find it then it probably didn't happen.

big blue and hairy
05-14-2007, 08:04 AM
If you want a park close to Charleston, you'll have to check out the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach. It's scheduled to open next spring. It's not Disney, but it should be fun.

:sulley:

Tigerlilly
05-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Wow, I am surprised I had not heard of this Hard Rock Park before.

Its press releases read awfully funny though. It mentions like 5 major coasters but then the other "rides" it mentions are things like rope swings and ball pits. Either way, thanks for the heads up on this. I will have to run by and do the back lot tour.
After they closed "The Pavilion" last year I was worried about what we would do for fun now:)

As for the topic at hand. I think what people need to keep in mind is, Disney has lots of interests OTHER than Theme Parks. One, ask yourself, is the area mentioned an area that would be appealing to Disney? When I saw this topic and saw JEDBERG SC. My response was to laugh. But Disney's blue sky concepts could mean they are looking to put a Disney Store there. The only other one is in Myrtle Beach.

So when you hear these rumors about Disney scoping out land, don't immediately jump to the conclusion of PARK!! Think - store or hotel.

big blue and hairy
05-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Disney's blue sky concepts could mean they are looking to put a Disney Store there. The only other one is in Myrtle Beach.
Actually the Disney Store is no longer owned by Disney, but Children's Place, so if it's Disney buying land it won't be a store

So when you hear these rumors about Disney scoping out land, don't immediately jump to the conclusion of PARK!! Think - store or hotel.
I'd say warehouse space or a shipping center for Disneyshopping.com

TheRustyScupper
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
. . . Hey now, dont mess with cleveland. We have Cedar Point and it kicks most other parks butts . . .

1) Oops.
2) I was NOT trying to disparage Cedar Point.
3) I love Cedar Point.
4) If fact, I helped design/re-design three coasters there.
5) However, I can't see a Disney Park in Shaker Hts.

Ian
05-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't think anyone here thought you were stupid or gullible, or anything else for that matter. It's just that this question/rumor comes up at least once a month, sometimes more frequently and it's always "Disney is building a park in ______ (fill in the blank)". So, people tend to get a little testy, sometimes even frustrated answering the question over and over.I think you hit the nail on the head. It just comes up so often and everyone always jumps to the conclusion that just because Disney is buying land that it's for a theme park ... it just gets kinda old saying no over and over again.

Mickey91
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I read somewhere that Disney was reopening a relay center of some sort in SC. I thought maybe they were going to start issuing a catalogue again.

As for the Disney Park in VA:( Those in the immediate area didn't want it.:mad: Those of us in the Mnts thought it would have rocked!! And if any Disney Execs are reading this, why not try VA again?? I have a feeling things would be different this time around.:mickey:

drummerboy
05-16-2007, 11:04 AM
If you want a park close to Charleston, you'll have to check out the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach. It's scheduled to open next spring. It's not Disney, but it should be fun.
Just read about that when we were camping in MB a few weeks ago. Looks interesting. Kind of sad to see the old Pavilion area being flattened. At least there's still the "Swash".

Back to topic. We get the Disney rumor from time to time here in SE North Carolina. As I've said before, I don't completely discount it because you never know, but I take it with a grain of salt.

In my park ranger days, I always had to remember that I'd answered certain questions hundreds of times, but for each person asking, it was their first time.

big blue and hairy
05-17-2007, 08:14 AM
We get the Disney rumor from time to time here in SE North Carolina.
Yeah, we had that one a couple of months ago. I'd be really surprised if you see any Disney Park open anywhere in the US any time in the forseeable future. WDW is thee premier destination for Disney nuts like us, why would they want to dilute it? That's just not a sound business decision in my judgement. I didn't think Disney's America was a good idea either. I think if the company had been completely sold on it, it would have happened, if not right there, very near....

Ian
05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
If I was in a resort area of some kind, I wouldn't completely discount Disney building a DVC "outpost" there. I mean they do have DVC properties in Vero Beach and Hilton Head already and they have expressed interest in doing themed destination resorts in other locations.

What I would not expect to see (most likely ever) is any kind of DL/WDW-like theme park anywhere else in the U.S.

As BB&H said, I think Disney realizes they'd effectively just be stealing business from themselves. Unless it was a very regionalized park that planned to exist mostly on local traffic.

Grizz16
05-17-2007, 07:58 PM
What I would not expect to see (most likely ever) is any kind of DL/WDW-like theme park anywhere else in the U.S.

As BB&H said, I think Disney realizes they'd effectively just be stealing business from themselves. Unless it was a very regionalized park that planned to exist mostly on local traffic.

You mean like if Disney built a country music themed park in Nashville, TN? Nashville had a great park before it was closed. To build a mall. :mad:

SimAliLog
06-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I have just stumbled upon this site while doing some Disney planning myself in the near future and am also from Charleston, SC. I think, perhaps, I may know what the OP is talking about.

In a town (not far from here) called Jonesville Disneyshopping.com did indeed announce a new opening. Not for a new park, but for a new call center. I'm positive that is where the keywords "Disney", "New" and "South Carolina" are coming from. Most people think Disney is only a park, they don't realize the other HUGE entities the "Disney" name carries with it. It really is massive.

Believe it or not, even though they are rare, there are people you can say the ever popular "chain name" of "Walmart" to and they have no idea what you're talking about. You might as well have said Pops Corner Store on the left of Hwy 41 about 3 miles past the BIG Oak tree.

But, Disney?? Heck Yeah! Where do I sign up? I don't know that I even know a child who is just learning to talk that doesn't light up when the "Disney" name is spoken. In every language there is a way to say "Disney". Does anyone know how to say "Shrimp and Grits" in Japanese?

O.k...I'm done. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents :) Oh, and here's a couple of links to the new call center.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/state_news/regional/story/6495988p-5783568c.html

http://dwb.heraldonline.com/scnews/state_regional_interest/story/6495989p-5783569c.html

By the way, I'm glad to have stumbled upon this board. I don't get out much in the way of exploring the internet aside from work. I figured it was high time I did a little goofing off myself! :) I'm gonna keep looking around and see what I can find.

Belinda

battle beast
06-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Boise.