PDA

View Full Version : 'POTC: At World's End' Discussion

Disneyglamour
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
SO I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE I HEARD THIS RIGHT BECAUSE I JUST PRE-ORDERED MY TICKETS...POTC 3'S FIRST SHOWING WILL BE ON THURSDAY, MAY 24 AT 8PM INSTEAD OF MIDNIGHT CORRECT? I WANT TO BE THERE FOR THE FIRST SHOWING! :thumbsup:
THANKS!

NotaGeek
05-12-2007, 01:48 AM
WHY THE SHOUTING? :mickey:

:welcome: to INTERCOT!

I just checked the official POTC III (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/pirates/atworldsend/) website and it says 8pm Thursday in some cities is the first showing.

I can't wait!

DisneyDudet
05-12-2007, 02:20 AM
I just checked that, and we can get tickets already!! I took the night off.. maybe I'll see it at 8 and midnight!!!

I hafta check with my friend first.. but I'm going to be there for number one baby!!!

Trixie1822
05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
hi

I don't know if you will be my friends after that, but here in Switzerland I will be able to see POT the 22th of may at 8pm :cool:

I can't wait !

DisneyDudet
05-19-2007, 03:23 AM
So not fair! Oh well..

I just bought my tickets!!!

Bethis26fan
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
We bought ours as well. We have so much to do that weekend. That we wanted to go to the 6:30 showing on friday. There was know way I could go thurs at 8:00 and stay there for 2 hours and 45 mins then drive 30 mins home and make it to work the next day. :)

2Epcot
05-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I bought our tickets as well, but we will go on Friday night. I wanted to make sure I got them before the theater sold out. For Spider-man we had to drive further away because the theater close to us didn't have tickets. I wasn't going to make the same mistake for Pirates.

Niecyboo
05-20-2007, 12:37 AM
My kids were so bummed that we weren't going to get to see it since we're going camping that weekend, but now that they've moved up the first showing, we've got tickets for the first show!! Yeah them. Of course, we should be home Thursday night getting ready for camping, and now the kids will be out until late on a school night, but it'll be worth every minute.

sunlyon
05-20-2007, 06:47 AM
We're actually waiting to go on Saturday night. (Yay! already have tickets for 10 pm!)

NotaGeek
05-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I won't be going for a couple of weeks, unless I can get someone to join me during the week sometimes after it opens. I would rather see it without people being LOUD in the theater. Pet peeves, you know ...

Earnhardt321
05-20-2007, 07:16 PM
We got tickets for 8pm on Friday!!!!!!!! I am so looking forward to seeing it!

Melanie
05-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I would rather see it without people being LOUD in the theater. Pet peeves, you know ...

Amen, Michael! It won't open here until the first week of June, so I might not even see it until we get back to the States for the summer mid June.

Cinderelley
05-20-2007, 11:25 PM
We have our tickets for Friday night at 8:10 pm. We're soooo excited!

Babyboo875
05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Now that POTC:AWE is finally upon us, I was wondering when everyone was going to see it.

I'm hoping it breaks Spiderman 3's record!

I'm going to see it tomorrow at 8PM, I can't wait! :party:

Babyboo875
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I already purchase my tickets online for Thursday at 8PM. I can't wait I'm so excited!!!:party:

2Epcot
05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I would rather see it without people being LOUD in the theater. Pet peeves, you know ...

I love seeing big movies on opening weekend. Nothing beats the energy of an excited crowd during the first few days of a summer blockbuster.

mreinventtt
05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Hopefully I am going to see it this weekend. I had to recently watch the 2nd one because its been almost a year since I seen it last. I had to refresh my memory.
Have fun..
MIssy

Jimenyfan
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
We are planning on seeing it when we are in Disney, probable the 2nd or 3rd of June.

PirateLover
05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Wanted to see the first showing so bad, but DBF is working and will be mad if I go without him. So we got tickets for 11am on Friday. So unbelievably pumped, especially having just returned from a WDW vacation. :pirate:

Chescat
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Amen, Michael! It won't open here until the first week of June, so I might not even see it until we get back to the States for the summer mid June.
If you haven't seen it by the time you make your Disneyland trip, the Downtown Disney AMC movie theaters are great. We've seen a lot of movies there. :D

Arg! I have to wait until Monday morning to go see it. I keep watching that Maelstrom clip that Disney is showing. Can't wait! :)

Christine
05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I keep watching that Maelstrom clip that Disney is showing. Can't wait! :)

What is this??

ASweetLov
05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
I just preordered my tickets for Sunday at 11:40am. I would of liked to go earlier but that wouldnt of been possible since my boyfriend is working and he wanted to go with me and would of got mad if I went without him:mickey:

Chescat
05-24-2007, 05:00 AM
What is this??
Go to Disney.com. Wait for the first picture of all the actors go away. The first thing that should play is Maelstrom scene in the middle. If not its on the playlist just to the right of the movie.

Its got the actors and directors talking about the battle scene and its pretty cool. Must have watch this thing 100 times already!

Christine
05-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Traci! Headed that way!

ElenitaB
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I can't wait... we'll be seeing it in 8 hours! :muscles:

And we'll be seeing it again tomorrow! And on the way home (or on the way there), we'll be stopping by Toys R Us to pick up our pre-ordered PoTC:AWE games for the DS and the WII.

I actually like seeing movies when they first open. Hopefully the audience tonight will be fans as they were when we saw the first showing of PoTC-DMC. We had a lot of fun that time.

I have my "I :skull: Pirates" t-shirt all ready to go that I bought at PoTC last November just for this occasion (yes, I'm a geek :blush: ). And DS will probably wear his Pirates IN the Caribbean t-shirt.

BTW, besides what they have on disney.com, there are also some clips posted on moviefone.com.

Willowwind
05-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Whoo hoo!!!

I'm going tomorrow night at 8PM, we "Fandango-ed" the tickets last week. I've got a group going that is 18 strong and we'll be wearing full Pirate gear. I'm *SO* excited!!! :pirate:

My daughter's best friend is at the theater as we speak catching the first show in out town.

glenpreece
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Great movie, I enjoyed it very much made sense even though there were alot of plot lines they all tied together and just so you all know STAY TILL THE END!!!!!!! Yes just like the previous 2 there is a tidbit at the end of the credits.

ElenitaB
05-24-2007, 11:58 PM
OMG! So good! :pirate: :cloud9:

Won't discuss too much because I don't want to throw out any spoilers... but, yes, don't miss the very, very end (out of a full theatre, only 8 of us stayed).

There is something for everyone to love about this movie, particularly ride fans.

Enjoy!

MsMin
05-25-2007, 12:52 AM
We made it tonight too! All I can say to everyone with no spoilers is I wish I would have rewatched the second movie before going :D

chrisb26
05-25-2007, 01:08 AM
It was great. I really enjoyed it and was glad to have went to the first showing. I can't wait to see it again!

Make sure to stay after the credits for a bonus scene it is a good one. :thumbsup:

Christine
05-25-2007, 01:51 AM
Just got home...absolutely LOVED IT!!! I cannot wait to see it again!

I will also advise to stay past the credits.

Wow, my mind is just spinning trying to take in what I just saw.

:pirate: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS- Ellen, ditto to what you said about the ride lovers!!! SOOO cool!

BriarRose0708
05-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Shoot, I wanted to get the heck out of there and now I'm going to have to sit through it again to stay until the end. Ah well, it will be worth it. And yes, ride lovers pay close attention for a treat!!! I was the only one in my group who actually caught it (though I thought it was quite obvious). Two thumbs up from me, although take off half a point for it being a bit too violent than I felt it needed to be (hope that wasn't too much of a spoiler. If so, shame on me).

Kate In Wonderland
05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
My DH and I went last night and saw the 8:00 show and we LOVED IT!! No spoilers here, but I wish that what was after the credits was actually part of the movie! I feel bad for the people that walked out right at the end of the movie and missed it.

:mickey: STAY TIL AFTER THE CREDITS!!!!!!!:mickey:

DisneyDudet
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
We saw it at 8 and it was AWESOME! I think it was a little strange at first, but it got better!

Ride fans will LOVE it (I seemed to be the only one in the theater who knew) and the very end was a good treat...

THe theater we went to made sure people were quiet and even at the VERY end after the credits... the manager made the loud teens be quiet. That was nice!

No spoilers, but after a while, we should discuss things people didn't understand, as it seems to be easy to get confused (I know I did for a bit)!

It was great. Tha manager of our theater said before 8, they had sold over 3,000 tickets!!! I had ordered out tickets and when I picked them up yesterday around 11, I heard them tell customers, the 8 and 8:30 showings were sold out! They had originally only had 8, then they had 4 showings, and by the time we got there at 8, there was a showing every 15 min. It was handled much better than last years midnight only showings.

All in all, I say two thumbs up and 4 stars! Even with the weirdness!

SimbaandNalasMama
05-25-2007, 09:52 AM
I am still riding my PoTC At Worlds End high. We were at the 8:25 last night, it was sold out, there were lots of people dressed up, lots of ARRGGH's pre-movie. It was a great experience and a fantastic movie. JACK IS BACK! Oh I cannot WAIT to see it again....and yes, I stayed to the very end! I do that for all movies, tho ;) .

I couldnt go to sleep last night because i was so wound up! I am here at work on about 5 hours of sleep! Ahhh...PIRATES!!

Kate In Wonderland
05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
there were lots of people dressed up, lots of ARRGGH's pre-movie.

Yeah we had that too! Ours was a sold out show, and right before the movie started, a guy came in dressed in fulll pirate gear, stood at the front of the theater facing all of us, raised his arms and yelled "YAAARRRGGHHH!" And the ENTIRE THEATER (and it really was the entire theater) yelled "YAAARRRGGHHH!" right back at him! It was priceless! There were some little kids in the audience that were beside themselves, they loved it!

Red Randal
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Hmm...I'm kind of split on this movie. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I found the ending to be very unfulfilling. I don't really want them to make a 4th as I think the magic number 3 is ideal for a movie franchise. The theater experience was also disappointing compared to last time's midnight shows. There were no people dressed like pirates, no sword fights in the aisle before the movie, no chanting, NO FUN. It was all NORMAL people seeing the movie. Bummer. ;)

Of course, it was still a really enjoyable movie with some great action and fun scenes. Plus it had one totally awesome ride reference for all of us park nerds.

Overall I'd give it a thumbs up but with the warning that it could have been so much better.

PirateLover
05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
I feel satisfied :)
I wouldn't mind if they made a 4th movie, as I actually think they could do a fairly good job of it still. But I also wouldn't mind if this were the end as well.

I liked the movie a lot. I will definitely see it again. When all is said and done though, I think that the 2nd remains my favorite. I can't really pinpoint why, but I am still obsessed with Dead Man's Chest even after seeing At World's End.

Definitely loved the homages to the ride.

Just a warning though, this movie is very violent. So were the others I guess, but this one seemed even more intense. There is no real blood or gore so to speak of, but there is a lot of death.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for PoTC:AWE

tundramom
05-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I agree, much darker, more intense, and definitely more violence than the others. Now, someone has to pm me the Easter Egg (the tag at the end) we booked out because it was already 11PM and DD had to get to bed! I completely forgot about teasers. Please, tell me what happenedP.S. We had a fair # of pirates and even someone in "Jack hair" as DH calls it.:)

PirateRogue
05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, I didn't stay for the credits since my parents were waiting to pick me up outside. I'd love to know what happened! If you can't say it here, PM me please! :number1:

I thought it was positively perfect. I love how the end closed it up but also left it open for another. Oh, I'm so happy. I really hope I get to see it again in theatres. This one was my favorite. It was also a very beautiful movie!!

Jeri Lynn
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I just saw the movie today, I enjoyed it very much although I thought it was a tad bit too long...

I'm bummed that I did not stay through the credits so if someone would be kind enough to PM me what I missed that would be great!!

nickcapp
05-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Saw it 8:00 PM last night.

Loved it. I thought it was smart and action packed.

Would anyone be kind enought to PM me what happened after the credits?? We didn't stay, it was getting late and I drank way to much soda!

PirateLover
05-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I think I've PMed everyone asking about the ending. Anyone else who needs it or misses it, feel free to PM me. :pirate:

Bethis26fan
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
We saw it tonight and I loved it. To be honest I was big in the the whole pirate thing and I saw the first 2 and thought they were good just not something I was really over the top into. My cousin/roommate however loves them so we went tonight, I was already actually look foward to it from the previews but I think this was the best one yet. I really really loved it.

ImagiAsh
05-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Great movie! Loved the ride references (again!)!:mickey:

2Epcot
05-26-2007, 02:11 AM
We just got back tonight from seeing Pirates. I really enjoyed it, though I also think I liked part 2 a little better.

We made it tonight too! All I can say to everyone with no spoilers is I wish I would have rewatched the second movie before going :D

I did watch most of the second part before we went to see. We ran out of time, and didn't get to see the whole thing. It had been a while since I had watched Dead Man's Chest.

Definitely loved the homages to the ride.

Just a warning though, this movie is very violent. So were the others I guess, but this one seemed even more intense. There is no real blood or gore so to speak of, but there is a lot of death.

I also love when they put things in from the ride... I agree parts of the movie were violent. I guess it depends on the child, some parents may want to see it first, if they have young kids.

I just saw the movie today, I enjoyed it very much although I thought it was a tad bit too long...

I'm bummed that I did not stay through the credits so if someone would be kind enough to PM me what I missed that would be great!!

The movie seemed a little long to me as well, and that's not usually something I say. I enjoy long movies if they don't feel long. I had heard about the sequence after the credits so when they started rolling I told my wife we need to wait to the very end. There was about 20% of the audience that also waited in our theater.

Cinderelley
05-26-2007, 02:47 AM
I really hated it. I won't say anything else or I would be giving away spoilers.

Willowwind
05-26-2007, 09:26 AM
20 in our group and 20 LOVED IT!!

We did freak the manager out a bit because we were almost all dressed in pirate attire. It was great fun and I've never laughed so hard!

Great comedy, great drama, great action, great romance, great easter eggs for ride lovers, tied up the last one nicely.

AWESOME MOVIE!!:thumbsup:

Melanie
05-26-2007, 11:37 AM
:spoiler:

The movie has now opened in wide release, so expect to be spoiled if you enter this thread!

It's less confusing in the long run to keep all the discussion on the same topic in one place.

:pirate: :chest: :skull:

Aurora
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Tried to post spoilers in a separate thread but it wasn't allowed so I guess I'll be the first.

When we saw the movie we had a small emergency with one of our group so I think I missed the meaning of some things.

SPOILERS IN WHITE HERE:

1. Why did Chow Yun Fat's character think Elizabeth was Calypso?

2. Why in the world didn't Beckett fire on both sides? What was going on there?

3. Why was the crew so inspired by Elizabeth's Braveheart/Aragorn speech? (OK, that's not really a question, just had a hard time making that leap.)

Just to say I thought the movie overall was AWESOME, if just a little bogged down in details. And forget Johnny Depp. I am in love with Geoffrey Rush.

MNNHFLTX
05-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I won't be going for a couple of weeks, unless I can get someone to join me during the week sometimes after it opens. I would rather see it without people being LOUD in the theater. Pet peeves, you know ...That would be my preference too, Michael. Opening weekend crowds are so....enthusiastic. :)

Christine
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I went and saw it again with DH last night (he didn't get to see it on Thursday with me) and enjoyed it thoroughly again. DH wasn't as impressed with it as I am, but hey, different strokes and all that...

And Michael, you mentioned something about avoiding this movie for opening weekend because of crowds and loud audiences. I can honestly say I was TERRIFIED that I was going to have a bad experience on Thursday night...the theater was chock full of teenagers, all texting, taking pictures, running back and forth to different groups, etc.

But when that movie started until it ended, you could have heard a pin drop!

I think this movie is active and interesting enough to keep even the loudest mouths hushed!

You may want to check it out! :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
And Michael, you mentioned something about avoiding this movie for opening weekend because of crowds and loud audiences. I can honestly say I was TERRIFIED that I was going to have a bad experience on Thursday night...the theater was chock full of teenagers, all texting, taking pictures, running back and forth to different groups, etc.

Take that, multiply it by a hundered screaming 15 year old girls, and add a very disorganized theatre staff and that was my experience Thursday at midnight. It was terrible. After that I am staying far, far away from Harry Potter until at least a week after it opens. And even then I'm going in the morning!

Christine
05-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Take that, multiply it by a hundered screaming 15 year old girls, and add a very disorganized theatre staff and that was my experience Thursday at midnight. It was terrible. After that I am staying far, far away from Harry Potter until at least a week after it opens. And even then I'm going in the morning!

Man, I hate that you had such a bad experience! I guess it's just a roll of the dice!

I remember seeing Nemo WELL after it had been released. There were only 3 other groups in the theater with us. However it was one of the worst experiences we've ever had! Screaming kids, cell phones, running up and down the aisles...

I guess you never know!

2Epcot
05-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Our theater was a large one, and was full, but the audience was great. There were enthusiastic, but nobody was talking or making noise. I don't remember hearing any cell phones during the show. They caught all the theme park references, and inside jokes ... It was a great crowd.

Jeff G
05-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Awsome! For a three hour movie it seemed like it just started and it was over. Lot's of action, drama and comedy. Sure there were cheesy parts but overall a movie I'm very glad I saw. I also loved he tie ins to the ride. My only complaint is I missed the end scene after the credits:(, my DD had to go to the bathroom with 30 minutes to go but made it to the end, once the credits started it was a sprint for her.

Oh well, now we have a reason to go see it again;).

LauraleeH
05-26-2007, 06:51 PM
I've seen it three times so far. I love it! I learn more about it every time I see it. I just don't understand one part...I've asked everyone why they think it happened, and no one has been able to figure it out yet.

Earnhardt321
05-26-2007, 09:36 PM
7of us went to the show last night. We were there an hour and half early. We had our tickets pre bought but we all needed to sit together!! More fun that way. Well we were all excited before the show started. I have to say that this was the best crowd to watch a movie with. We all cheered when we saw Jack the first time and we all gasped and laughed in the same places. I don't think I have been in a theater were we clapped at the end but last night we DID! I loved the movie and selfishly am hoping for a 4th I just love Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp! I think I am planing to go again Wed. This will for sure be a 5 time or more seeing it in the theater!!!!

BrowncatP
05-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't like it. I felt like I was watching a ping-pong match. Captain Jack was a supporting character in this movie. I thought this was the Elizabeth Swann show!:down:

LauraleeH
05-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't like it. I felt like I was watching a ping-pong match. Captain Jack was a supporting character in this movie. I thought this was the Elizabeth Swann show!:down:
That's how I felt at first, but it just gets better each time I see it.

PirateLover
05-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I've seen the movie twice so far. The first time was at 11am yesterday morning with a half full crowd. No one laughed or acknowlegded anything. Tonight we saw it at a nicer theater that was packed. It made the movie so much better to hear everyone laughing/gasping/sighing at the same time.

Since we have been given the go-ahead to post spoilers, I will say the few things that bothered me, especially on the second time around.
1) the whole crab thing when Jack is in the locker. Funny at first but was overused IMHO
2) Elizabeth as Pirate king...kind of funny but also kind of annoying
3) Calypso turning into a giant and then into crabs, while yelling things that could not be deciphered. What?

Despite all of this I will definitely be seeing it again. It is probably the best looking movie (effects wise) that I have ever seen.

LittleSpirit02
05-27-2007, 09:11 AM
SPOILERS ABORD!

PotC 3 Theories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning: Although all of these are theories, they could be potential spoilers.

I've created a few theories on PoTC: At Worlds End and am curious to hear yours.

Davy's Love
In Tia Dalma's hut, when Jack steals a ring - next to it is a heart locket just like the heart on Davy Jones' music box and on his chest. Could she have been the girl that he was in love with?

Jack's Debt
This leads me to why Jack might be in debt. Although Davy was in love with Tia, could Jack have interfered - Tia falling in love with Jack and no longer Davy causing Davy much grief and sadness.

Beastie
Jack is definitely not going to be eaten and killed by the Kraken. So what if when you are swallowed by the Kraken, you don't die but you go to "World's End." So when Jack goes into the Kraken, that is where is going. Thus the reason Tia asks about being willing to go to the end of the world and beyond to bring him back.

Just gonna pat myself on the back here... lol. This was my POTC 3 Theories post from 1-18-07 and I'm proud to say I called two out of three! Anyhooo.....

I saw the movie yesterday and really liked it. I was surprised by the ending with Will. Thought it would have been a more predictably happily ever after ending. Definitely room for sequels I guess. Although the ending after the credits provided more satisfying closure. :) For a second, when Davy's heart got stabbed - I thought both Will and Jack had stabbed it together - at the same time - so I thought maybe that meant they'd both go free but alas, it was just Will.
Parts of the movie were confusing. I'd like to see it again to pick up on little things I missed. All in all, good movie!

pdrlkr
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Awesome movie!!! :thumbsup: We will see it at least one more time. Kind of funny how the reviews have been terrible. :confused: But, then again most of the movies that get great reviews turn out to be a little less entertaining.

Eeyore3138
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Saw it twice now and LOVED it both times. I was very confused after seeing it the first time, as I was after seeing the first Pirates movie. In fact, I wasn't even trying to figure it all out because I knew it would make me mad! So I just took it for what it was. Then watching it again, you pick up on more and I was able to figure out ALMOST all of it. So if anyone is confused about anything, I MIGHT be able to answer some questions!

Tried to post spoilers in a separate thread but it wasn't allowed so I guess I'll be the first.

When we saw the movie we had a small emergency with one of our group so I think I missed the meaning of some things.

1. Why did Chow Yun Fat's character think Elizabeth was Calypso?

2. Why in the world didn't Beckett fire on both sides? What was going on there?

3. Why was the crew so inspired by Elizabeth's Braveheart/Aragorn speech? (OK, that's not really a question, just had a hard time making that leap.)

1. All he knew was that she was bound in human form and when he heard the explanation of her character, he thought it was Elizabeth because she is much like what Calypso is described as.

2. I thought that scene was very "end of titanic." I didn't really like that scene. I guess once he realized he lost posession on the heart of DJ, therefore lost posession of the seas, he figured there was no use.

3. I really didn't like that speech either. I thought it was kind of cheesy!

Trixie1822
05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
this whole trilogy is awesome !:thumbsup:

I hope the pirates 4 ! with Jack and Will. Very handsome and hot man :blush:

LibertyTreeGal
05-27-2007, 04:01 PM
*sigh* Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and POTC all disappointing. I was really bummed.

As as much as I appreciated the attempt to tie it into the ride, hearing the ride spiel while the screen was dark was awkward at best....

starrmomof2
05-27-2007, 04:30 PM
My DS8 and I saw it yesterday and I can tell I'm going to have to see it again to fully digest all that happened. I'm with LittleSpirit02 as far as the ending.
:spoiler: I wanted a happy ending with Will and Elizabeth, although the post-credits ending helped some. When I saw Will and Jack 'stab' the heart, I was hoping that Jack would achieve his goal of immortality vs Will having to be apart from Elizabeth. Given that Will did the stabbing, however, I was glad to see Jack back to his old 'Curse of the Black Pearl' self by movie's end ready for new adventures.

LauraleeH
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
My DS8 and I saw it yesterday and I can tell I'm going to have to see it again to fully digest all that happened. I'm with LittleSpirit02 as far as the ending.
:spoiler: I wanted a happy ending with Will and Elizabeth, although the post-credits ending helped some. When I saw Will and Jack 'stab' the heart, I was hoping that Jack would achieve his goal of immortality vs Will having to be apart from Elizabeth. Given that Will did the stabbing, however, I was glad to see Jack back to his old 'Curse of the Black Pearl' self by movie's end ready for new adventures.
I agree. I liked how Jack could have stabbed the heart himself, and just tell Will, "too bad," but gave up immortality to save Will. It ties in with what Jack's father said about living with himself for eternity, and also from Dead Man's Chest with Elizabeth saying that he's a good man, and someday he'll do something good or whatever.

ElenitaB
05-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I agree! I think it was one of Jack's "noble gestures" to have Will (albeit Will with someone else controlling his hand) stab the heart, because otherwise he would be dead to all, including Elizabeth. Better to see each other only once every ten years than to never see each other again at all...

MPoppins
05-27-2007, 11:06 PM

Loved the movie - got to see it Thursday night! Have to ask though - what's the deal with the peanut?!!! Can someone clear this up for me? :confused:

Disney Babe
05-28-2007, 04:51 AM
I saw Pirates III today. I guess I will be in the minority here. I didn't like it at all and feel pretty betrayed. I want my money back!

It was unnecessarily long and tedious. I almost wanted to get up and leave after an hour and a half. The screenplay should have been edited and/or rewritten. It plays like a first draft with overblown story ideas that have trouble connecting. No wonder people have questions about the meaning of things in this movie. It is too hard to understand the plot(s). I got to the point where I just didn't care anymore. It almost seems as if the writers were smoking something when they were working on it.

The movie might have been all right with better directing, if the director had told the writers to tighten it up and if the director put some heart into the movie. Davy Jones wasn't the only character in the movie without heart.

Not enough Captain Jack, but thank goodness Geofrey Rush was fantasic. I agree that it did seem like the Elisabeth Swann show. She got on my nerves since half way through the movie she seemed to somehow find a hairdresser on one of the ships who did a great job with highlights.

The special effects meant nothing to me. They came too late in the movie, they were over the top, as was the fighting, and I just wanted it to be over by that point.

The first scene of the movie, sorry to say, is not advisable for children to see. I found this scene to be disgusting. riduculous, and better left on the edit room floor.

NotaGeek
05-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Much against my better judgment my roommate talked me into seeing Pirates tonight. I had to tell a group of teenagers to STOP TEXTING or leave the theater (loud of course, I am not shy) which made everyone around us clap and they left. Ugh.

Now about the movie:

I can only hope that there will not be a Pirates 4 unless someone decides to pay attention to the story line this time around. UGH. I didn't hate the movie, the effects were fun, but I was more interested in Davy Jones back story then the rest of the plot. AND what the heck was up with Chow Yun-Fat calling Elisabeth "Calypso" ... was this foreshadowing or did I miss something? Anyway ... I really loved the Transformer's trailer! :)

Altair
05-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Between Pirates 2 and 3 there is probably a good movie in there somewhere. It just goes to show, you need a finished script before you start shooting. These movies were rushed into production and the final product reflects that. Not terrible, but far from great.:(

SPOILER

A three deck ship-of-the-line, with 90 or more guns, firing a broadside at the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman would have blown them both out of the water.

Eeyore3138
05-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Between Pirates 2 and 3 there is probably a good movie in there somewhere. It just goes to show, you need a finished script before you start shooting. These movies were rushed into production and the final product reflects that. Not terrible, but far from great.:(

SPOILER

A three deck ship-of-the-line, with 90 or more guns, firing a broadside at the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman would have blown them both out of the water.

I thought that too at first but I guess once he saw that the Dutchman was firing at his ship, he realized that he somehow lost control of the heart/the sea/Davey Jones and knew that he had no chance.

DisneyDudet
05-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not here to debate anything. I saw it twice already and seeing it the second time REALLY helped catch it all. I had pretty much all of it down the first time, but knowing what to look for and actually see it, really helped.

I really liked it, and I thought it was great. There was some weirdness as I've said before, but thats ok. I liked the storyline and felt like it tied up a lot from Dead Man's Chest, plus left a lot to the imagination for interpretation, which I like.

Can't wait to see the weekend's totals!

starrmomof2
05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree! I think it was one of Jack's "noble gestures" to have Will (albeit Will with someone else controlling his hand) stab the heart, because otherwise he would be dead to all, including Elizabeth. Better to see each other only once every ten years than to never see each other again at all...

Thanks, ElenitaB. :spoiler: I didn't look at it that way; that Will would have been dead to all. I was so caught up in a 'not as happy' ending that I missed that thought. That makes me feel a lot better.

ASweetLov
05-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I saw it yesterday morning at 11:40am with my boyfriend and absolutely LOVED it. I give it 10:thumbsup: up

marlyn
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
OK, we left before the credits ended and I didn't see what happened. can someone PM me and let me know what happened after the credits? Please?

I loved the movie. I did find the plot much more intricate in this one and I think I need to see it again to get everything....and I will!

Cinderelley
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Here's a few of my complaints:

1. The characters' personalities changed drastically. Will, who was an "honorable" man, is all of a sudden double crossing people. Elizabeth suddenly becomes a "weapons master" pulling all sorts of things out of her bodice, and why would she all of a sudden become more knowledgeable about seagoing than the men around here who have been pirates all their lives? I understand the reason why she became Pirate King, but when it comes to "operations" you would think she would defer to others with more experience. Then at the end, everyone all of a sudden goes back to being who they were before.
2. Why was Will's heart cut out? If you remember the story line in POTC 2, Davvy Jones cut out his heart because of a woman - he couldn't stand the pain it was causing him. It had nothing to do with being Captain of the Flying Dutchman. In fact, if you factor in the story in POTC 3, when Davy Jones said that he did his job for 10 years and then Calypso wasn't there when he set foot on shore, he was captain of the Flying Dutchman for 10 years before he cut out his heart.
3. Why even bother with the Calypso storyline? In the end, it really led to nothing. DH said it was needed for the maelstrom, but the maelstrom could have just been there and that would be why it was called "Shipwreck Island". Davvy Jones could have just been in love with Tia Dalma.
4. Why bother with the return of the sword that Will made for Norrington? That didn't have any huge impact in the end and cutting it out would have shortened the time.
5. The multiple Jacks was cute at first, but got really annoying after a while.
6. How come Will and Elizabeth have to wait for 10 years to see each other? Yes, he can't set foot on land, but she is the captain of a ship. Why don't they just rendezvous somewhere? Also, why doesn't she have a ship at the end of the movie, after the credits? For that matter, why doesn't she just join the Flying Dutchman's crew? It obviously becomes a choice at the end, because Will tells his father he has a choice.

Many other little things irritated me, but I'll leave it at that for now.

WDWfanatic742
05-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Something that the writers and directors have been quoted saying on websites:

One scene cut explained that if Calypso had greeted Davy Jones after his ten years of ferrying dead souls, then he would have been freed of his duty: in turn, Will is freed of his captaincy as Elizabeth remains faithful to him ten years later.

Meaning that they had to delete this scene (which was some of the 20 minutes that they deleted).

Eeyore3138
05-28-2007, 05:58 PM

1. The characters' personalities changed drastically. Will, who was an "honorable" man, is all of a sudden double crossing people. Elizabeth suddenly becomes a "weapons master" pulling all sorts of things out of her bodice, and why would she all of a sudden become more knowledgeable about seagoing than the men around here who have been pirates all their lives? I understand the reason why she became Pirate King, but when it comes to "operations" you would think she would defer to others with more experience. Then at the end, everyone all of a sudden goes back to being who they were before.
2. Why was Will's heart cut out? If you remember the story line in POTC 2, Davvy Jones cut out his heart because of a woman - he couldn't stand the pain it was causing him. It had nothing to do with being Captain of the Flying Dutchman. In fact, if you factor in the story in POTC 3, when Davy Jones said that he did his job for 10 years and then Calypso wasn't there when he set foot on shore, he was captain of the Flying Dutchman for 10 years before he cut out his heart.
3. Why even bother with the Calypso storyline? In the end, it really led to nothing. DH said it was needed for the maelstrom, but the maelstrom could have just been there and that would be why it was called "Shipwreck Island". Davvy Jones could have just been in love with Tia Dalma.
4. Why bother with the return of the sword that Will made for Norrington? That didn't have any huge impact in the end and cutting it out would have shortened the time.
6. How come Will and Elizabeth have to wait for 10 years to see each other? Yes, he can't set foot on land, but she is the captain of a ship. Why don't they just rendezvous somewhere? Also, why doesn't she have a ship at the end of the movie, after the credits? For that matter, why doesn't she just join the Flying Dutchman's crew? It obviously becomes a choice at the end, because Will tells his father he has a choice.

I agree with 1, 2, 4, 5.

3. The Calypso storyline is actually the reason for most of the movie. It was because of her that Barbossa is back, that Davey Jones is who is and that the pirate lords were brought together to fight EITCo. (But really to free her from human form).

6. I thought this too, at first. Especially because we see Davey Jones so much but the TRUE job of the captain of the Dutchman is to stay under water and transport souls. If he came up, he wouldn't be doing his job.

I assumed that she still was a pirate within those ten years because the boy is singing Yo Ho Yo Ho. She is not allowed on the ship for the reason I said before and his father stayed because he is already dead.

glenpreece
05-28-2007, 06:03 PM

As to your point about elizabeth not going with Will he was charged with ferrying the souls of the dead to the other sides, they even said she couldn't go where he was going.

Cinderelley
05-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree with 1, 2, 4, 5.

3. The Calypso storyline is actually the reason for most of the movie. It was because of her that Barbossa is back, that Davey Jones is who is and that the pirate lords were brought together to fight EITCo. (But really to free her from human form).

6. I thought this too, at first. Especially because we see Davey Jones so much but the TRUE job of the captain of the Dutchman is to stay under water and transport souls. If he came up, he wouldn't be doing his job.

I assumed that she still was a pirate within those ten years because the boy is singing Yo Ho Yo Ho. She is not allowed on the ship for the reason I said before and his father stayed because he is already dead.

3. I understand your view point, but I think it could have been done better without the Calypso storyline. Spoiler -If Tia Dalma brought Barbossa back to life using the same "magic" she used in POTC 2, would anyone have questioned it? Davy Jones still could have been in love with her, and the pirate lords would have still been fighting East India Trading Company because they were still trying to eradicate the pirates

6. I don't remember them saying he had to do it underwater.

I thought it was pretty ambiguous whether she was still a pirate or not.

As to your point about elizabeth not going with Will he was charged with ferrying the souls of the dead to the other sides, they even said she couldn't go where he was going.

They never said why she couldn't go. She had already been on the ship and his father had a choice as to whether he stayed or not. The ones on the ship were not "dead". In POTC 2, they took the "dying", but not the dead, spoiler - Will couldn't have fathered a child if he was dead, and Bootstrap Bill joined the crew while he was incapable of dying because of the curse of the treasure. They never said he was killed after the Will & Jack lifted the curse.

I could just be splitting hairs in the storyline, but it just didn't have any continuity for me.

LauraleeH
05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
3. I understand your view point, but I think it could have been done better without the Calypso storyline. Spoiler -If Tia Dalma brought Barbossa back to life using the same "magic" she used in POTC 2, would anyone have questioned it? Davy Jones still could have been in love with her, and the pirate lords would have still been fighting East India Trading Company because they were still trying to eradicate the pirates

6. I don't remember them saying he had to do it underwater.

I thought it was pretty ambiguous whether she was still a pirate or not.

They never said why she couldn't go. She had already been on the ship and his father had a choice as to whether he stayed or not. The ones on the ship were not "dead". In POTC 2, they took the "dying", but not the dead, spoiler - Will couldn't have fathered a child if he was dead, and Bootstrap Bill joined the crew while he was incapable of dying because of the curse of the treasure. They never said he was killed after the Will & Jack lifted the curse.

I could just be splitting hairs in the storyline, but it just didn't have any continuity for me.
Bootstrap wasn't cursed, though...he gave his medallion to Will. But you're right, I don't think he was "dead"

PirateLover
05-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Bootstrap wasn't cursed, though...he gave his medallion to Will. But you're right, I don't think he was "dead"

No, he was cursed, otherwise he would've died when they threw him overboard. Remember in POTC 2 he explains to Jack why he joined Jones. He was unable to move, unable to die, trapped underwater with the weight of the world crushing down on him.

Cinderelley- Trust me, I definitely think many of your points are legitimate and I thought about them myself. I think that this movie could have been much better, and that it was rushed... but I still greatly enjoyed it.

The one thing I was really bummed about was that they cut out the back story with Jack and Cutler Beckett. We never really found out what "mark" Jack left on Beckett, and apparently we were supposed to get more info on this but it was cut out. The original incarnation of the movie was over 3 hours... thats a lot of info cut. From reading interviews with the writers, I think they are disappointed themselves a bit. What made it to the big screen was not their full story.

Disney Babe
05-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I think the movie could have been better if they had stayed in the Caribeean and the whole Chinese thing and all those pretty useless characters were eliminated. It is after all the Pirates of the Caribeean. I must have missed something at the end of Pirates 2 and I don't own the DVD, but I thought that Tia was Jamacian and had that voo-do vibe. I have to admit, I am not a stickler for details as some are. But to me it would have been a lot simpler to get rid of the whole "Calaypso" storyline and have her be a voo-doo priestess, which would totally fit into the New Orleans area if Disney wanted to tie her character into the theme parks. It seems simplist, but I would have rather seen Captian Jack brought back by the small amount of characters that were on that quest, than to go to Singapore and bring in more (unnecessary characters) just to get a map. I would have liked some voodoo magic to bring Jack back.
Definitely Captain Jack should have appeared in the first, or at least, second scene. Davy Jones locker could have been more imaginatively done too. I was comparing this in my mind today to The Search for Spock. Everyone thought he was dead. I didn't take forever to find out what happened to Spock. Right away you see where the casket is and little by little you see that he has come back to life and what is going on with him. Pirates III simply took too long to explain what happened to Jack and to bring him back to life.
Also, I don't know if I am in the minority on this but I think that there is much more chemistry between Johnny Depp and Kiera Knightly than between she and Orlando Bloom. I would have totally rewritten the script to have Elizabeth and Captain Jack fall in love and end up being pirates together!

LauraleeH
05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
No, he was cursed, otherwise he would've died when they threw him overboard. Remember in POTC 2 he explains to Jack why he joined Jones. He was unable to move, unable to die, trapped underwater with the weight of the world crushing down on him.
I must be really confused then. So how was the curse broken without his blood?

marlyn
05-29-2007, 12:21 AM
I must be really confused then. So how was the curse broken without his blood?

Because Bootstrap's blood technically runs through Will's veins since he is Will's father.

Carol
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Folks - It's not necessary to put the spoiler icon or use white text since the movie has been released. Those not wanting to be spoiled should not be opening the thread. It's free for discussing - even the bonus scene!

I enjoyed the movie but the first one remains my favorite. I too thought the imaginary Jacks were overkill after leaving "The Locker". The two in his hair were downright silly. :rolleyes:

Although cool to watch, I didn't like the crab/boat scene either. Too far-fetched.

I LOVED the graphics and scenery. At one point it reminded me of Soarin' looking down at the ocean and landscaping.

I wasn't bothered by the use of Elizabeth. I actually like her character. I wished Jack was on screen more -- and more like the Jack from the other 2 films.

Loved the 2 guys that switched sides and became Pirates.

I have to agree about Calypso. It really annoys me when I cannot understand someone speaking. It wasn't as bad as the vocals in 2 - but definitely inaudible when she grew. (Didn't like that part either. I think they could have done that differently.)

I thought the bonus scene was great. Will and Elizabeth sure aged well over those 10 years - huh?

Marker
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Saw it, loved it.

Could some things have been done differently, sure. But it is what it is, and to me it was VERY enjoyable.

I can appreciate the issues of continuity, but for me, it's fantasy, why over analyze. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have no need to be critical of it at all.

For what it's worth, all of those "issues" are obviously proving to be "topics of discussion", keeping people talking about the movie, perhaps even prompting them to see it again. Questions like that also give them room for future installments should they decide to, and obviously the door was left wide open for that possibility.

I loved it and can't wait for the DVD release. On the way out of the theater I told my daughter and wife "I know what I want for Christmas". Actually, I'm hoping for a director's cut.

LauraleeH
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Because Bootstrap's blood technically runs through Will's veins since he is Will's father.
I put that together last night after I had posted that. I had never thought of it like that before. Thanks for explaining!

offwego
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I thought the bonus scene was great. Will and Elizabeth sure aged well over those 10 years - huh?

I said that to DH and he said you still look good in your late 20-early 30's but then not so much. As a 36 year old it was a chilly drive home let me tell you.

Cinderelley
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Yeah, DH and I were discussing that. I hope I age that well over 10 years.

2Epcot
05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
'Pirates' hauls in $142.1 mil; Memorial Day record
By Brian Fuson
May 29, 2007

With a unprecedented 29,000-screen global day-and-date release, Buena Vista Pictures' "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" scaled new heights at the boxoffice, where the third film in the franchise plundered a record $401 million worldwide in it first six days of release.

In North America, where three A-list tentpole sequels opened in more than 4,000 theaters apiece during the past four weeks, it's not surprising that the four-day Memorial Day session will enter the record books as the biggest weekend in domestic boxoffice history.

Thanks largely to the stellar opening of "At World's End" as well as the outstanding holds of Paramount Pictures' "Shrek the Third" ($69.1 million) and Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man 3" ($18 million), the total domestic boxoffice for all films for the weekend is tracking to land in the vicinity of $265 million, easily besting the 2001 five-day New Year's Day frame, the reigning champ with $249.3 million.

The next biggest-grossing weekend of all time was the 2004 Memorial Day frame, with $247.6 million.

"At World's End" set sail at the domestic boxoffice with an estimate of a dazzling $142.1 million from a record 4,362 venues during the four-day holiday frame, marking the second-biggest opening weekend of all time behind the $151.1 million take of "Spider-Man 3." Including Thursday night previews that generated $14 million, the PG-13 "At World's End" has tallied about $156.1 million domestically so far.

The staggering global haul of "At World's End," meanwhile, topped the recent $382 million six-day worldwide opening of "Spider-Man 3."

The Johnny Depp starrer, helmed by Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, can claim the biggest opening for a Memorial Day weekend, topping 20th Century Fox's "X-Men: The Last Stand," which took in $122.9 million last year.

"I think it's a testament to the first two films being so beloved, which gave the public the reason to choose us during an extremely competitive weekend," Buena Vista Pictures Distribution president Chuck Viane said."We are thrilled by being able to take the holiday weekend to launch the movie to record levels -- it was the target we were aiming at."

On another historical note, the debuts of "At World's End," "Shrek the Third" and "Spider-Man 3" mark the first time that three films generated opening weekends of more than $100 million apiece in one year.

The Hollywood Reporter

dopeydude
05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
What did you pick up from potc3 that you think others didn't pick up

Earnhardt321
05-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok I am going back tonight!!!!!
I hope I catch more this time. Now we here in Moose Jaw have had some discussion. Since we can discuss the movie I am just going to post this normally. The little boy of Will and Elizabeth looks like the little boy that was hung at the begining I don't think it is the same boy but others do can someone please help!!

LauraleeH
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't think it's the same boy. Although, if it is, the hanging part could be part of a plot if they did make a 4th movie. I mean, they did say that those people were arrested for "associating" with pirates. And the boy sang the song...in the beginning and the end. But I think if anything, the boys are just brothers in real life.

PirateLover
05-30-2007, 05:25 PM
It's not the same boy. They do look similar- same age, hair style etc but I'm almost 100% sure they are different.

Eeyore3138
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
The singing boy in the beginning is played by Brendyn Bell. The boy at the end, who is named credited as "Young Will Turner," is played by Dominic Scott Kay. They actually look quite different in regular pictures but I guess pirate boys at that time all had the same style.

Chescat
05-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I think I liked each movie in different ways. The first movie was something new and had a lot of references to the POTC ride. And the special effect with the skeleton/normal were great. And most of it was centered around Jack. The second movie I liked the different ways they found to do things. The sword fighting on the wheel is one of my favorite things. And also the swinging of the cage thing they were in was cool. There didn't seem to be as much sea battling going on there, but more explanation of Will Turner.

The third movie I liked a lot. I felt them bringing Barbossa back gave a good counter to Jack. A lot more sailing going on then POTC 2 was even better. And again they came up with more unique and new special effects. I was doubtful with what they were doing with Keith Richards character, but they did pull it off. Going over the falls and what plays in the darkness was genius.

Whole idea of pirates are they are unpredicatable. These movies were unpredicatable and you never knew which way they would take you. I can't wait to see the making of in POTC 3. :D

Earnhardt321
05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=Cinderelley;1300974]Here's a few of my complaints:

I don't think that any one has brought this up but I think the sword was rather important to the story. The sword Will was commissioned to make for Norrington was the wepon that was used to kill Will himself. To borrow a quote from Ragetti "I guess that's what you call ironic."

Also thank you to all of those who helped solve the mystry of the two boys in the movie. After the second go round I am 100% sure it is not the same boy but they do look similar on the movie screen.

Does anyone else think that when Calypso was talking and no one could understand her she was calling for the Malestrom(sp?).

PirateLover
05-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Does anyone else think that when Calypso was talking and no one could understand her she was calling for the Malestrom(sp?).

In a way, yes. I felt like she was cursing out the Pirate lords, lol. Wasn't a big fan of that scene.

BrerSchultzy
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM

2. I think, in a highly underdeveloped way, that when Davy Jones cut out his heart, the "curse" of the Flying Dutchman began. In other words, if he had kept to his duty (ferrying souls), he would have kept his normal appearance, and kept his heart. But once he shirked his duties, and cut out his own heart, the curse dictated that he would remain wandering the seas until someone else's heart replaced his. So the crew of the Flying Dutchmen KNEW why Jack and Elizabeth did what they did, and cut out Will's heart to put in the box, so he'd live forever as Captain of the Dutchman. For everyone caught in limbo, they could choose to finally die, or be a part of the crew. Not the cleanest storyline (nor am I more than 50% confident in my explanation).

3. I completely agree.

starrmomof2
05-31-2007, 08:01 PM
2. So the crew of the Flying Dutchmen KNEW why Jack and Elizabeth did what they did, and cut out Will's heart to put in the box, so he'd live forever as Captain of the Dutchman.
Oh, then it makes it sad that he will live forever and one day have to see Elizabeth die. Man, I spend to much time trying to 'foresee' down the road how things will work out on some of these plot lines. :blush:

Cinderelley
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh, then it makes it sad that he will live forever and one day have to see Elizabeth die. Man, I spend to much time trying to 'foresee' down the road how things will work out on some of these plot lines. :blush:

Unless they do a POTC 4 based on the Fountain of Youth. :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
06-01-2007, 12:07 PM
2. I think, in a highly underdeveloped way, that when Davy Jones cut out his heart, the "curse" of the Flying Dutchman began. In other words, if he had kept to his duty (ferrying souls), he would have kept his normal appearance, and kept his heart. But once he shirked his duties, and cut out his own heart, the curse dictated that he would remain wandering the seas until someone else's heart replaced his. So the crew of the Flying Dutchmen KNEW why Jack and Elizabeth did what they did, and cut out Will's heart to put in the box, so he'd live forever as Captain of the Dutchman. For everyone caught in limbo, they could choose to finally die, or be a part of the crew. Not the cleanest storyline (nor am I more than 50% confident in my explanation).

That could be it. I felt that many things in the movie were highly underdeveloped.

AnitaJane
06-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Why didnt Elisabeths father become captin of the flying dutchman? I thought he stabbed the heart and had his heart cut out - why then didnt he become the captin?

Other than that I thought the film was amazing, way better than the 2nd film IMHO.

BrerSchultzy
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Why didnt Elisabeths father become captin of the flying dutchman? I thought he stabbed the heart and had his heart cut out - why then didnt he become the captin?

Other than that I thought the film was amazing, way better than the 2nd film IMHO.

Elisabeth's father only found out the truth about the heart, but didn't get a chance to do anything about it...they killed him before he could.

Earnhardt321
06-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Elisabeth's father only found out the truth about the heart, but didn't get a chance to do anything about it...they killed him before he could.

Ok I was wondering about this to. Tomorrow will be time to see it for the 3rd time!!!!!!

AnitaJane
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
thank you for clearing that up:D Im seeing it tomorrow for the 3rd time as well.

Belle--86
06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
We have seen a few times; even the our youngest DD-- we loved but I wish Elizabeth and Will could of have a better happy ending--yes we saw the seen after the credits.

EmiB
06-01-2007, 09:46 PM

I personally was hoping for Bootstraps to finally stop being so depressing and take command of the Flying Dutchman.
Maybe through some under developed and uunexplained loophole he could have done that and let Will and Elizabeth be together.:doh:

DisneyDudet
06-01-2007, 11:08 PM
In regards to the boy at the hanging and Elizabeth's and Will's son, even though the credits say different names, the story shows you they are not the same.

In the beginning, Lord Beckett, is there at the hanging. Beckett dies after the attack from the Dutchman and Black Pearl at the end. So, there's no way its the same boy.

LauraleeH
06-02-2007, 12:18 AM
In regards to the boy at the hanging and Elizabeth's and Will's son, even though the credits say different names, the story shows you they are not the same.

In the beginning, Lord Beckett, is there at the hanging. Beckett dies after the attack from the Dutchman and Black Pearl at the end. So, there's no way its the same boy.
Wow, that was very smart! I never would have put that together.

I might go tomorrow...making it my 5th time!

Cinderelley
06-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I personally was hoping for Bootstraps to finally stop being so depressing and take command of the Flying Dutchman.
Maybe through some under developed and uunexplained loophole he could have done that and let Will and Elizabeth be together.:doh:

This might have worked if they would've kept Bootstrap's original character. In POTC 3 though, he seems to have developed some form of dementia, and can't seem to do anything but randomly try to kill people like Norrington & Will. :mad: I liked the original Bootstrap better.

Melanie
06-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Yay! I can finally read this thread. :clappy:

I too thought the imaginary Jacks were overkill after leaving "The Locker". The two in his hair were downright silly. :rolleyes:

I TOTALLY agree, Carol. My least favorite part of the movie.

That said, I really, really liked it. Much better than Dead Man's Chest, which I was really disappointed in. I still love the first one the best, but this one was very satisfying. I was glad to see everyone's loyalty return to the right place by the end. I was shocked at Will's fate, but a good movie is supposed to "shock" you.

I also liked our glimpse of Davy Jones in his true form, but thought Keith Richards' appearance was useless. He wasn't even convincing to me - sorry.

Can't wait to see it again! :pirate:

MScholl13
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Overall I didn't like the movie and was disappointed. I know I'm in the minority when I say that, but I'm just being honest.

After I left the theatre Thursday night I said, "That was it? That's how it ended?"

I think the thing I honestly didn't like the most about the third movie was that there just seemed to be too many plots and too much double-crossing.

Not enough Jack Sparrow either! ;)

DisneyDudet
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
This might have worked if they would've kept Bootstrap's original character. In POTC 3 though, he seems to have developed some form of dementia, and can't seem to do anything but randomly try to kill people like Norrington & Will. :mad: I liked the original Bootstrap better.

I think as you become more of "a part of the ship" you lose your metal capacity. As his tenure of service waged on, he started to become more of the ship than of himself. That is partly why his "dementia" set in. Much like a character in Dead Man's Chest: said a few words and that was it.

Don't blame his change in character on Bootstrap, blame it on Davy Jones: for not taking care of the dead as he was challenged.

Earnhardt321
06-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I think as you become more of "a part of the ship" you lose your metal capacity. As his tenure of service waged on, he started to become more of the ship than of himself. That is partly why his "dementia" set in. Much like a character in Dead Man's Chest: said a few words and that was it.

Don't blame his change in character on Bootstrap, blame it on Davy Jones: for not taking care of the dead as he was challenged.

I agree with that. I was thinking that Bootstrap was more like the person who told Will about the key in the second movie.

jrpersinger
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM

I was a bit confused on all of this stuff too... More so if Will would be able to come back or not. This is one thing I found and so far seems to be true....

At the end, Will is able to return to Elizabeth for life. The movie writers have said this is the case, and there is actually a scene that was cut out in which Calypso and Barbossa are discussing the curse. In this scene, they explain that the curse of the Flying Dutchman would be lifted after 10 years if the captain's lover had been faithful. At the end, the flash of green light is Will coming back to life because Elizabeth has been faithful. So he can return to her for good--it's not just the once in 10 years.

You can read more about this on Wikipedia--just search for Pirates of the Caribbean. This is also apparently the storyline from the opera The Flying Dutchman.

I think the reason Davey Jones was still on the Dutchman was because Calypso betrayed him. If you remember, they were talking about that in the brig scene. If she has not betrayed him, he would have been able to return to his life. So since she betrayed him, he had her "locked up" and he never wanted to leave the Dutchman because he could rule the sea as the ultimate revenge. And he cut out his heart and so that part of the curse began. The heart part didn't actually start when he first was Capt of the Dutchman, it was after his 10 years. Make sense?

And here is another thing I found.

the green flash of light was him getting his soul back and being able to stay w/ her. Somewhere in the movie they discuss that a green flash of light is a soul coming back to earth. They say that there is a deleted scene that discusses that the curse is lifted IF the woman waits and is faithful for the 10 years. It's a big topic of discussion where many disagree and say that is not true. Someone posted that the writer or director verified that it is him getting his soul back. I believe that in the play about the Flying Dutchman's Curse - that it also states the same thing (about the curse being lifted). Try googling Flying Dutchman's curse and/or POTC3 and see what you find.

So Will fullfilled his time, and Elizabeth stayed faithful (or so it seems) so he should be able to return to his life. And with Calypso now being released and should be back in control of things, she would replace him with someone else as was done before.

EmiB
06-03-2007, 12:02 PM
At the end, Will is able to return to Elizabeth for life. The movie writers have said this is the case, and there is actually a scene that was cut out in which Calypso and Barbossa are discussing the curse. In this scene, they explain that the curse of the Flying Dutchman would be lifted after 10 years if the captain's lover had been faithful. At the end, the flash of green light is Will coming back to life because Elizabeth has been faithful. So he can return to her for good--it's not just the once in 10 years.

You can read more about this on Wikipedia--just search for Pirates of the Caribbean. This is also apparently the storyline from the opera The Flying Dutchman.

If that turns out to be true, I will be much less disappointed in the movie.
It makes sense, but if that scene does exist, it was a poor move on their part to omit it.

DisneyGiant
06-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I saw Pirates III today. I guess I will be in the minority here. I didn't like it at all and feel pretty betrayed. I want my money back!

It was unnecessarily long and tedious. I almost wanted to get up and leave after an hour and a half. The screenplay should have been edited and/or rewritten. It plays like a first draft with overblown story ideas that have trouble connecting. No wonder people have questions about the meaning of things in this movie. It is too hard to understand the plot(s). I got to the point where I just didn't care anymore. It almost seems as if the writers were smoking something when they were working on it.

OMG - I was thinking - this was longest movie that I've ever attended!! Or so it seemed - it just wasn't ending..........

Also - I'll admit to cheating - and thank goodness for that - because I would never have "gotten" it. There was a synopis written out on a movie spoiler website.

Also - the credits ran forever - waiting to see that very last scene........

DisneyGiant
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I was a bit confused on all of this stuff too... More so if Will would be able to come back or not. This is one thing I found and so far seems to be true....

the green flash of light was him getting his soul back and being able to stay w/ her. Somewhere in the movie they discuss that a green flash of light is a soul coming back to earth. They say that there is a deleted scene that discusses that the curse is lifted IF the woman waits and is faithful for the 10 years. It's a big topic of discussion where many disagree and say that is not true. Someone posted that the writer or director verified that it is him getting his soul back. I believe that in the play about the Flying Dutchman's Curse - that it also states the same thing (about the curse being lifted). Try googling Flying Dutchman's curse and/or POTC3 and see what you find.

So Will fullfilled his time, and Elizabeth stayed faithful (or so it seems) so he should be able to return to his life. And with Calypso now being released and should be back in control of things, she would replace him with someone else as was done before.

If both of these are true - they should have been in the movie!!

How stupid to leave them out!!!!!! I think it would have made the movie more enjoyable.
They could have cut out some time from that stupid maelstrom fight.

:confused::twocents:

Earnhardt321
06-03-2007, 02:21 PM
It seems like a few important scenes were cut our of the movie. I has also read at some point on the boards that the scene that showed us what mark Jack left on Beckett was cut out. I was also wondering if Will got his soul back after the 10 years. After seeing the movie for the third time I finaly thought about that. Oh well I guess that means having to go again. oh well that is just fine with me!!!

sunlyon
06-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think that any one has brought this up but I think the sword was rather important to the story. The sword Will was commissioned to make for Norrington was the wepon that was used to kill Will himself. To borrow a quote from Ragetti "I guess that's what you call ironic."

Another irony... The father of Elisabeth's most current betrothed killed the previous fiancé. I guess they didn't want an "old love" around to test Elisabeth's faithfulness yet again so she could remain true to release Will from his new duty. I know Jack is still around but I don't think she ever truly wanted him... the whole thing with the compass in the 2nd movie seems to point out that she wanted to be a pirate captain in her own right.

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 08:33 AM
They could have cut out some time from that stupid maelstrom fight.

:confused:
That was the best part of the movie! The entire plot of the movie led up what happened in that maelstrom fight!

The scene of the Flying Dutchman and the Black Pearl destroying Beckett's flagship from opposite sides made everything worthwhile...

MPoppins
06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
:confused:So what happens to Davy Jones once Will becomes captain of the Flying Dutchman?!

Diznee4Me
06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Forgive me if this question has already been asked (I tried to find it in the last seven pages).

My understanding is that Davey Jones could not leave his ship - except every ten years - yet we see him materializing on the Pearl to visit Calypso and we see him standing in the barrel of water on the spit of land during the "showdown" scene. What is going on here? He appears to be leaving the ship in both cases - the barrel of water seeming to be an out to not being able to leave the Dutchman.

This being the case couldn't Will have visited Elizabeth in a bucket of water?:D

Loved the movie, a lot of dangling plot lines, but I think with seeing it twice and help from Intercot I have most of it figured out. But thinking of Will Turner in a bucket of water makes me laugh!:funny:

Earnhardt321
06-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Forgive me if this question has already been asked (I tried to find it in the last seven pages).

My understanding is that Davey Jones could not leave his ship - except every ten years - yet we see him materializing on the Pearl to visit Calypso and we see him standing in the barrel of water on the spit of land during the "showdown" scene. What is going on here? He appears to be leaving the ship in both cases - the barrel of water seeming to be an out to not being able to leave the Dutchman.

This being the case couldn't Will have visited Elizabeth in a bucket of water?:D

Loved the movie, a lot of dangling plot lines, but I think with seeing it twice and help from Intercot I have most of it figured out. But thinking of Will Turner in a bucket of water makes me laugh!:funny:

Davy Jones never went back to the other side to ferry souls after Calypso wasn't there to free him so I think that he just decided then and there he was going to rule the seas since Calypso could not do it any more after they put her in her human form. That is just mt thought. But seeing will in a bucket of waterwould be very funny!

Ok another question. Now that Calypso has been released does she go back to ruleing the seas?

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Davey Jones couldn't set foot on land but once every ten years. He could leave his ship whenever he wanted. Even in the second movie he appeared on another ship (the wrecked ship he captured Will on). So I guess technically the bucket of water meant he wasn't on land. By the same token, I guess he could be carried on land by someone as long as he didn't touch it.

I don't think Will could come back to visit Elizabeth at all in the first ten years because he was ferrying the souls in the Locker, which is what Davey Jones was supposed to be doing.

disneyboy98
06-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Well I saw it....again...for the third time tonight with my parents (who love the ride, like the movies).

Every time I see it the story line makes more and more sense, you just have to really listen to every conversation between every character. I will admit that the "Will coming back for good or not" is still up in the air with me. I would like the idea that he gets to come home and stay with his son and wife. I just need some hard proof (the article from the writers that people have said is out there).

The one new thing that I did figure out today was something that was actually kind of funny in a sense.

When the movie was over my dad leans over to me and says, "Jack is going to Disney World now." Of course I looked at him and laughed because we know that he is in the ride now (ha ha ha...I kind of said just to humor him). Then later he says to me again that Jack is really going to Florida. I gave him a look that made him think I thought he was off his rocker. Then he says, "on the map, at the end of the movie, it shows that Jack is looking at the location for the Fountain of Youth. He was looking near cuba and next to it was the state of Florida." The funny thing is, is that there is an "X" right in the centre of Florida and we all know what resort destination lies there.:mickey:

To me it made sense. I'm just throwing it out there as kind of a "keep your eyes out and let me know what you think" kind of statement.

scrappy
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
The one new thing that I did figure out today was something that was actually kind of funny in a sense.

When the movie was over my dad leans over to me and says, "Jack is going to Disney World now."

Then he says, "on the map, at the end of the movie, it shows that Jack is looking at the location for the Fountain of Youth. He was looking near cuba and next to it was the state of Florida." The funny thing is, is that there is an "X" right in the centre of Florida and we all know what resort destination lies there.:mickey:

To me it made sense. I'm just throwing it out there as kind of a "keep your eyes out and let me know what you think" kind of statement.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned this either. One of the first things I said to my DH was that that was a perfect ending, because Jack is heading to the POTC ride. He gave me a look like I was crazy, too. Then I told him that he was in search of the Fountain of Youth which is supposed to be in Florida and and he had a map showing Florida... where is the POTC ride??? I thought it was very nice tongue in cheek way to end the movie.

Overall I loved the movie, but I was a bit annoyed with the Elizabeth Swann show as well. I started disliking her character in POTC2 and at times in POTC3 I just couldn't stand seeing her face. But I thought everything else was great.

Oh, and after hearing about all that was left on the cutting room floor, which would have provided an even better plot for the entire movie in my opinion, I really hope that there is a DVD released someday with all of this extra info and plot explanation. :fingers:

Cinderelley
06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I just kind've figured that WDW was the "fountain of youth" because we all get to act like kids again. ;)

mmouse566
06-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Well I saw it....again...for the third time tonight with my parents (who love the ride, like the movies).

Every time I see it the story line makes more and more sense, you just have to really listen to every conversation between every character. I will admit that the "Will coming back for good or not" is still up in the air with me. I would like the idea that he gets to come home and stay with his son and wife. I just need some hard proof (the article from the writers that people have said is out there).

When the movie was over my dad leans over to me and says, "Jack is going to Disney World now." Of course I looked at him and laughed because we know that he is in the ride now (ha ha ha...I kind of said just to humor him). Then later he says to me again that Jack is really going to Florida. I gave him a look that made him think I thought he was off his rocker. Then he says, "on the map, at the end of the movie, it shows that Jack is looking at the location for the Fountain of Youth. He was looking near cuba and next to it was the state of Florida." The funny thing is, is that there is an "X" right in the centre of Florida and we all know what resort destination lies there.:mickey:

I caught that too, especially being a Floridian. Mainly because the Fountain of Youth is up in the North East corner near St. Augustine not where it is on Jack's map which is probably closer to Orlando.

murphy1
06-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I saw the movie a couple weeks ago in Florida and had to take three kids on bathroom breaks three times and somehow right during important parts like when Jack was first shown in the locker and they were "disposing" of Gov. Swann. I'm glad I could read through this thread some b/c I totally thought that the kid in the beginning was Will and Elizabeth's son. I hated how they killed off Norrington and Swann. I love the first movie, but the second and third are just okay. And Keith Richards was being thrown in just for show I guess, I'm sure he made a good amount for his work. I do however love Jack Sparrow, he was great throughout all three movies. I guess I just like the lightness of the first movie most.

dolphinmickey9170
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Ok, I'm confused. When Elizabeth is escaping from a ship, crawling across a rope, who is the person that is killed, left lying there? Because I thought I saw him again later in the movie?? I am so confused:confused:, I need to go watch it again. I had to watch I and II two times each to "get it". Sorry, please forgive me.:blush:

LauraleeH
06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok, I'm confused. When Elizabeth is escaping from a ship, crawling across a rope, who is the person that is killed, left lying there? Because I thought I saw him again later in the movie?? I am so confused:confused:, I need to go watch it again. I had to watch I and II two times each to "get it". Sorry, please forgive me.:blush:
That was James Norrington...Elizabeth's ex-fiance.

disneyfan369
06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I didn't like POTC III. It was way too violent for me. Whatever happened to Calypso and Davy Jones? I think I may have to watch it again (and again and again and again) to understand all of the storylines.

tinkergal
07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Avast, me hearties!

'Tis said that Cap'n Jack & crew will once again be available in your home on Tues., Dec. 4th.

Yo ho, yo ho...:pirate:

Jeremy
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
avast ahoy!!
I can not wait for this movie to come out on DVD.
YOHO!!! YOHO!!!

Thank you for the info.:thumbsup:

Earnhardt321
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM
This is great!!!!!
I can't wait for Dec 4

Jared
08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I love this thread because of all the confusion. People are trying to understand what happens to Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann after watching them for almost three hours in "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End." One would think after 168 minutes, everybody wouldn't need to ask basic plot questions, consider necessary missing scenes or consult the almighty Wikipedia.

But I admit to done the same because this film simply makes zero sense. I lost track of what was happening in the first hour and never found out what I was missing. Some of the action scenes were fun, and Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow was perfect again, but it's nearly impossible to stay engaged in a nonsense storyline.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" was a fun movie. It created great characters like Jack, Elizabeth, Will and Barbossa and introduced the wonder of a voyage on the Seven Seas. It could have, and should have, ended with Jack floating away from Commodore Norrington and his crew.

I don't blame "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" for being ridiculous. It had no choice. All it did was tie up the million loose ends started by "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

Great cast, great visuals, but a franchise that is thankfully put to rest.

NJBelle
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
They didn't need to make a sequel since it was so well rapped up at the end of "The Curse of the Black Pearl". I thought that the second movie was a little crazy, but I liked it any way. I just LOVED Pirates 3. It was a little confusing but after a while you got the hang of what was going on. It was sort of like being on a ride.

The best part was when the screen went black and you could here the sound from the PotC ride. It was just a little touch of the magic.

Anyway, although the movie was a little crazy and sometimes hard to follow, it was still fun and I can not wait for the DVD. :pirate: