PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep infants hydrated on hot summer days?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
We're gearing up for our first trip with our daughter, who will be almost two years old. Because my wife works in the school system, we're pretty much forced to go in the summer season, which is VERY busy and VERY hot!

What advice do you have for us on how to keep little ones hydrated in those hot times of the year?

Mickey91
05-11-2007, 09:50 PM
If she takes water at all, you can get free water at any counter service place. Make sure she drinks plenty at meals and maybe get her a popsicle during the hottest part of the day. Try scheduling your rides and attractions so you're in air conditioning at least every other time. If you notice her face getting flushed, see if she will drink some water and go to an indoor attraction or store for her to cool off. She may get a kick out of the bottle toppers and straws. Most kids will drink when it is real hot out. Ours, who usually don't drink a lot of water, beg for it at WDW.

Good luck and have a great time!!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Gatorade helps too. Just don't let her drink a lot of soda, that dehydrates! Even chewing ice cubes will help.

kakn7294
05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
You could get her one of those little baby-safe fans that clips to her stroller. You can also use a misting fan if she likes to get wet or take a wet washcloth in a plastic baggie (some people put ice in too) and wipe her off every so often. If her stroller is a dark color, line it with a white or light colored towel or blanket. Make sure you use the sunshade or if your stroller doesn't have one, get a clip on umbrella to shade her. Make sure she wears light-colored, loose fitting, lightweight clothes. Load her up with sunblock and reapply it frequently. She might even like a neck-cooler - just make sure she doesn't bite or lick it. Give her sips of water frequently - if you don't want to buy bottled water, the counter service locations will give a small cup of ice water. Hit the indoor, air-conditioned attractions, shops, and restaurants during the hottest part of the day. Have a great trip!

kathiep
05-12-2007, 07:53 AM
We like to get to the parks as early as possible and get as much done before the mid-day heat.

We also try to schedule a nice relaxing lunch - indoors to enjoy the benefit of air conditioning.

Depending on how late each park is open on a particular day, we like to go back to the resort early afternoon for a refreshing swim in the pool.

Then, we return to the parks around 4 or 5 once the sun isn't quite as brutal.

baby minnie's mommy
05-12-2007, 05:39 PM
For our DD(2) I buy one of those 6-packs of little juice bottles to take, then put watered-down juice in a sippy cup for her to drink. That may help if your little one balks at plain water.

meldan98
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
I would also recommend a thing I found at our state fair, I think it is called a Mr. Misty. It's a tube with a twist on cap and you can put water and ice cubes in it. It comes with an insulated cover on it that zips up. The cap has a pump it it and you pump it to preasureize the water and turn on the plastic tube that comes out the top and a nice gentle mist comes out. It lasts for 2 to 3 hours and then when it's out, you just fill it back up. The little tube that the water comes out has a clip on it that we could clip to the canopy on my daughter's stroller and she was nice and cool and a little wet all day long and she loved it. You might be able to find them online somewhere.

irish1967
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
In addition to the above ...

We always opened the park of the day, stayed through lunch and then returned to the resort for a nap and a dip in the pool during the hottest part of the day. Then early ADRs and back to the parks for a couple of hours.

Remember, in the heat, everyone will get tired - so less is definitely more (you may do less but if you keep rested, what you are able to do is much more fun).

Don't forget the sunscreen!

castlelady36
05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
#1 is sunscreen!!! sunscreen!!! sunscreen!!

We fill spray bottles with ice in the morning or put the bottle in the freezer the night before as most resorts have the fridge now and as it melts during the day we refill at any of the stands that sell water or pop,etc. We have never had a problem taking the ice as I think CM's realize how hot it is and they don't seem to care. In fact we have had some help my DD 6 fill hers up. Otherwise we take lots of breaks and make sure both DD's get plenty of fluids even besides the spray bottles.

grumpypima
05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Another vote for:
1. Go early
2. Go slow
3. Leave by early afternoon, go back to resort
4. Swim
5. Take nap
6. Take it from there...go back to park, or go back to the pool.

Our DS-2 loved going back to the pool, after dinner at the resort & a nap. It turned out great! At first, I thought DH, DS-14, (or me) would be dissappointed by not going back to the parks at night. But we were not. After two or three days of staying in at night, DS-2 was ready to go back the parks at night. I'm not sure how much time you have on your hands, but taking it slow worked for us.

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Gatorade helps too.
Just one bit of advice - water down the Gatorade! It's not necessary for ADULTS to drink Gatorade straight, nevermind kids.

But I do agree - watered down Gatorade will help quite a bit, and may be more enjoyed by the child than ice water.

(Side Note: Gatorade has done a masterful job in marketing - selling a drink - which was originally designed for 300 pound football linemen in Florida heat - now to preteens and teens who now spend their afternoons playing Nintendo and the like...)

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
We found these pretty cool things called a "kerchiller", which is basically a bandana that has some sort of polymer something or another inside of it. You soak the bandana in water for about 45 minutes, then the polymer activates. It keeps the kerchief cold for hours and hours, and you wear the kerchief around your neck, like a bandana. Supposedly, it cools your core temperature by keeping your carotid artery cool, or something.

It's great for us grown ups, and Olivia seems to like it too.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Big brimmed sunhats are a must for my daughter. My son's wear ball caps, as do DH and I. Keeping the sun off your face and out of your eyes really makes a difference.

We always bring a container of baby powder with cornstarch too. It feels really good to put on your back and neck when you are really sticky and sweaty in the heat. (You smell better too..lol) :blush:

We gave in and bought the mister fans from Disney. They really make a huge difference.

Water, water and more water. No need to say anymore there. ;)

Sunblock, of course. We reapply it constantly. The older two prefer the spray bottles they sell now, it goes on a lot quicker.

We always go in September when it is extremely hot. (In our opinion). We take lots of breaks, take it easy and stay all day. We have never left the parks during the day, we just prefer to stay. But, I think it is a great thing to do in the heat.

Have a great trip!

Christine
05-18-2007, 09:50 AM
A few years ago, my daughter ended up in the ER b/c of dehydration and she WAS drinking water. The doctor told us that when it is that hot, water is not enough. He told us to use Powerade.

We didn't have any other problems for the rest of the trip, or on any following.

baby minnie's mommy
05-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Has anyone used pedialyte for this purpose? (We've used it when DD was sick, but she didn't like the flavor.) I know it's good for keeping kids hydrated when sick, and was curious if that would be a safe choice to drink all day outside.

KAT1811
05-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I am shocked that no one has metioned popsicles. In addition to drinking they really help keep kids hydrated. After awhile the kids don't want to drink so much and tend to "fill up" on water and the like. Popsicles are another way to get more water in them without them really knowing about it. Our DDs love the itsakadoosies (sp?) we use our snack options on the dining plan for them. Much easier to get them to eat than ice cubes. Just make sure they are eating popsicles, the ice cream bars don't count.

MrPeetrie
05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
It is amazing how quickly little ones can become dehydrated in Disney. The heat, the excitement, it all becomes overwhelming to them.

On our last trip, our daughter was 29 months old and VERY aware of the Disney Characters. We had just had lunch at the Castle, which had her way too excited to eat. Afterwards, we headed toward Fantasyland to ride some rides. We noticed her getting listless after the Pooh ride. We thought she was getting tired, but I felt her and she was running a temperature. We took her to First Aid and they quickly hydrated her. Within 15 minutes, she was herself again. But they told us this happens frequently in Disney. And it happens suddenly. Make sure they're taking in their fluids!!!
:)