PDA

View Full Version : Our Whirlwind 4 Night 3 Resort Disney World Bonanza

Dicecatt262
05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Cast: Me, age 32...obsessive Disney planner
Twins, age 8:
DS, AKA Goofy, daredevil
DD, AKA Drama, tiny and daredevil and finally about tall enough to ride everything

I have two other kids (age 12 and 2) and a husband, also. So, how did it come about leaving them at home? DH knows I love Disney and is fine with that, as well as I don’t make him go every time. DD12 can’t miss school, and DD2, well, is just happier at home with Daddy (okay, I’m happier with her at home with Daddy, I am on a resort fact finding mission that is not workable to a 2 year old’s nap schedule)

This trip is to discover new resorts that are normally off limits because of my family size. I also want to try new restaurants that my family might not be very interested in, but I am! And with help from a motion sickness patch, I’m also going to ride some rides that normally would be a big fat NO.

So for the past few months, the twins gather on my bed before nighty night time to discuss our itinerary. They have Disney jars and they save their own money. DS is frugal, he returned from our September trip with over $50 and now has over $300. DD is a spendthrift and is mad that she has half what her twin has.

After spending an almost tearful bedtime with baby (AKA Spoiled), I attempted to go to sleep early, since I had to wake up while it was still dark. Not going to happen and I was still packing at 11 PM, Wednesday, May 2.

Alarm goes off at 4:30 AM. I quietly gather the twins, they get dressed, brush teeth and hair, and we are off. Oh yeah, I brushed my teeth and got dressed too. We had loaded the car the night before.

Off to Grandmas, where I was going to leave my car, and she dropped us off at the airport. Breezed through airport security having already printed out boarding passes the day before, and checked my luggage in outside at skycap. Settle down to wait to board, get out my cross stitching, and to my absolute horror pull out a full sized pair of scissors. YES, a full sized pair of scissors...that got through, but they gave me grief over my sample sized lip gloss. I quickly stuck it back in my bag and prayed no one near me saw them or heard my horrified gasp. Of course Drama is almost yelling “Mommy, can I use your scissors” and I am hushing her, and she is ignoring me as usual, “but, please, but, but, I just want to use your scissors!” Certain I am about to get hauled off and cavity searched, I hiss at her that if she doesn’t shut her mouth we were going back to Grandma’s.

Plane ride is successful. I manage to snooze a bit. Piece of doo-doo Disney DVD player died within 10 minutes (seriously, my one regretful Disney purchase). Drama made friends with a girl across the aisle, so her mom and I start chatting. Her husband bailed on the trip so she is taking her son and daughter by herself and is very excited. Here is our conversation.

Me: “So, what do you plan on doing?”

Her: “Not sure, we have the dining plan though.”

Me: “Oh you’ll love that. Did you make dining reservations?”

Her: “No, what is that?”

Me: “Do you know what parks you are going to?”

Her: “Adventure Island or something like that, and Universal?”

Me: “You mean MGM?”

Her: “No, Universal.”

Me: “Where are you staying?”

Her: “Caribbean Beach.”

Me: “Do you have a car?”

Her: “No. But my travel agent did everything and we are eating somewhere called Mickey’s?”

After this conversation, I finally figured out she was staying at Caribbean Beach for 6 nights, had Disney tickets for all days, had 2 day tickets for Universal, had one dining reservation for 7:10 AM at Chef Mickeys, had no car, and no idea how to get to Universal. I quickly wrote up some suggestions on park days and some dining recommendations. After checking in at DME, I stood with her and pointed some things out, while Goofy was throwing his Indiana Mickey up at the airport ceiling with her son and Drama was doing backhandsprings for her daughter. Lord help me. Actually, Lord Help her, I really hope she had a good vacation.

To be continued...

poeticeclipse
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Was that woman nuts?!?! How the heck was she ever going to make it?
Thank goodness you were there to point her in the right direction. Her travel agent really stinks! haha

can't wait to read more!

Jimenyfan
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I love your writing style, cant wait to read more.

faline
05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, at least you've arrived at the Magical Express Counter so you're almost there!

I, too, hope that other mother had a good time especially since she had no plan!

January-2007
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Oh my gosh! That's the type of person who comes home from a Disney trip complaining to everyone they meet that they couldn't get in to eat anywhere, that there was no transportation, that everything was just horrible... Glad to not be that type! Really though, I'm sure you helped her out a lot, and hopefully she did have an enjoyable vacation.

That was too funny about the scissors. They freak out about your trial size lipgloss and then those get through. I can just imagine you trying to make your daughter keep quiet!

Thanks for reporting on your trip, it's so much fun to read, can't wait for the next installment! :mickey:

KylesMom
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
A very - um - entertaining travel day, if nothing else.
Lord help me. Actually, Lord Help her, I really hope she had a good vacation. We're all such planners here, it's hard to imagine someone going to Disney and being so unprepared. :thumbsup: That was awful good of you to help her out.

Looking forward to more!!!:mickey:

Lorraine444
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
LOL!!!!
Shhhhh, I'm @ work!
Have a wonderful trip, maybe you will be fortunate enough to bump into her. By that time she might realize she is clueless & will ask to tailgate you......
YIKES!!!!

MissStyles
05-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm at work too and that just entertained for a few minutes so thank you very much!!!! I look forward to seeing how the rest of the trip pans out....that woman has no idea how lucky she was that she met you!!!!!

Belle's Mom
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I guess she did not use Magical Journeys!!!???
lol:blush:

Dicecatt262
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I would love to post pictures but I cannot figure out how to do that on this forum...so...just words for now until I get smarter!

So...we enter the DME bus line and board a bus for Pop Century almost immediately. First stop was Pop, and was continuing on to Coronado Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

First impression of Pop...Everything is very big! Line at check in was minimal, waited about 5 minutes. The CM was very nice. I asked if my requests had been received and they had...I was in the 70’s building. I booked a standard view but it was close to bus stop, and it was ready at 11 AM. Building 10 on the third floor. I’m excited to see the Big Wheel; I loved my Big Wheel as a child! So, we get near our room and see the lake...very nice! Then we see the window and a half eaten apple...I am not too pleased. Put my keycard in the door...won’t open. Try again, won’t open. Look at my map...DUH, I am in the room next door.

My room is nice and clean and apple free. Very small, but clean, and I love the Disco wall border.

We head out to the bus stop and we are on a bus to Epcot within 5 minutes. So far, I am very impressed with my first Value resort. The grounds are neat and trimmed, the pool areas are sparkling, and the resort gives off a vibe of fun.

Upon entering Epcot, we saw some of the awesome topiaries there for the Flower and Garden Festival.

We got a FP for Test Track. Did Universe of Energy for the first time, waited about 6 minutes in the scorching hot sun. Drama’s soda exploded in line, that was fun. Luckily the only person she squirted was me. Cute preshow. Ellen is fun, and I love Jamie Lee Curtis no matter what she plays, even “Stupid Judy”. Very long ride, but air conditioned and relaxing. At times, it even feels a bit like Soarin! I recommend you sit in the far left row of seats, that one moves forward first.

Chefs de France

Reservations were for 2:30 but they sat us around 1:45. Service was very attentive. Drama got the Friand au Fromage, which was a cheese puff pastry, and Goofy got the Blanc de Poulet Aux Nouilles, breaded chicken strips over pasta. Neither of them ate squat although Drama liked my lobster bisque. I did too; I thought it was better than Fulton’s Crabhouse and glad I chose it over the onion soup although I love onion soup. I also ordered the Quiche Lorraine which was decent. The restaurant is bright and airy, and people watching through the windows is fun. We watched the chair climber performers in amazement!

Then we went to Mexico and rode El Rio or whatever it is called now. Not many changes, more cartoonish stuff on the TV screens with Donald. Most everything else is still there and there was no wait.

Time for Test Track, gosh I love this ride. It is fun every single time. Not for the standby line people, but for me breezing in on a FP, very fun. Was that mean? Just kidding, I’m sure they had fun too, and after all, it is inside. Next, Spaceship Earth, my last ride before the rehab. I like it the way it is!

Heading back to Pop around 5 PM.

Shopped in the Gift Shop, went to our room, and no luggage. Hmmm, it has been over 7 hours, it was now 5:35. Called...one was brought up at 6 PM. Where is the other? No one knows. Of course it is my suitcase. Easier to replace kid clothes! Eventually about 45 minutes later my bag was located and was brought up to my room. Meanwhile, I took the kids swimming and I just sat and watched them as jeans are not conducive to a dip in the pool. I began on a towel quest...I see Towel Return...where, oh where, are the towels? Asked a lifeguard, told I am supposed to bring them from my room. Okayyy...didn’t know that. Interesting. The kids pool hopped between the Hippy Dippy and the Bowling Pin Pool. Drama said her favorite is the Computer Pool, but she didn’t swim in it...she has to be different.

Dinner was counter service, I ordered the Shrimp Lo Mein, that was pretty good, and the kids got burgers and pizza. They were just okay.

My impressions of Pop is that it is well worth the money. You can’t beat staying on Disney property in a nice, clean, fun hotel for under $100. The rooms are small, but you know that going in...the bathroom is adequate. I loved the Disco dancing people on the wall border. Actually, I think I already said that! The twister games around the resort look fun. No hot tubs, that is a negative, but then again the Poly, my favorite, doesn’t have one either. Beautiful magnolia trees on property! One bizarre question...do the TVs not have remotes? I did not have one...not sure if that is just because I didn’t merit one or they really don’t have remotes.

End of Day 1...to be continued.

pdrlkr
05-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Great report! :smickey:

sleepingbooty
05-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Off to a great start! Good thing that woman on the plane ran into you - what was she thinking?????

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

Bethanymouse
05-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Your report was so funny! Thanks so much for sharing your day with us. I cant wait to read more!:mickey:

Dicecatt262
05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Day 2, May 4th, 2007

Woke up at 6 AM with Mickey and Stitch screaming in the phone. First I had to shake Drama so she could answer the phone.

We departed Pop after filling up our mugs, and arrived at Wilderness Lodge around 7:15 AM. CM Freddie checked me in, and I inquired if my requests had been received. He brought out a map, and said “Here is your room. You requested a view of the pool and the geyser, and you have that, but I have also made your stay a little more magical and put you in concierge!” Wow Wow Wow, and my 2 year old (Spoiled) would say. So, we took the elevator up to our keyed level and enjoyed a breakfast in the Old Faithful Club, sitting at a table overlooking the magnificent lobby.

We went out to the boat dock to go to the Magic Kingdom. Transportation by boat was not wonderful...we waited for quite a while, and saw 2 resort boats come and go. Finally we jumped on the 3rd resort boat and got off at the Contemporary and just walked to the Magic Kingdom. The walk was kind of fun; I got a great picture of the train running by the Castle and the planets from Tomorrowland.

We saw the opening ceremony; the characters on the train were very fun!

Once inside, we cut through the Noodle Station and got FP for Space. Saw Monsters Inc. Comedy Club, which was very cute. They highlighted me and asked me some questions and my kids were thrilled when I played along and joked with the characters. Then we rode Astro Orbitor with no wait. I’ve never ridden it because I get sick from spinning, but with my handy dandy motion sickness patch, I gave it a go. And it was fun! I liked seeing Tomorrowland all empty.

Then Pirates, about a 5 minute wait. Got a FP for BTMRR and rode Splash. I got completely soaked, more than I ever have been on that ride...I mean completely soggy. Then rode BTMRR. We then went over to Tom Sawyer Island, which we’ve never done. We were hoping to explore a little, and get a snack, but Aunt Polly’s was closed. I wasn’t all that thrilled with the Island...we didn’t stay long. I called as I sat with a soda on the Island and the room at Wilderness Lodge was not ready yet.

We wanted to ride Haunted Mansion, but I could see from the Island the long line. So we got some French Fries and a FP for Jungle Cruise. Back in Tomorrowland, Space is down. We just missed them giving out Dream Fast Passes outside of the exit of Space...darn it! Then we did Stitch’s Great Escape...I escaped that one last trip because I stayed off with Spoiled. It wasn’t bad, I just held my nose. Then Carousel of Progress, lovely air conditioning and one of my favorite rides. We walked down Main Street through some shops down to Tony’s, and tried to switch our 2:50 to around 1 PM, but the wait was too long so we just went back to Wilderness Lodge. We went in the gift shop there and I checked out the lobby of Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Drama bought some rocks and Mickey earrings. Room still wasn’t ready, at about 2:30, so we sat in the lounge of the concierge and watched TV and snacked. I changed Artist Point to 5:40 instead of 7:30, so we can have dinner and then go back to Magic Kingdom.

Room was ready at 3 PM. I loved the room and the view was stunning. Absolutely gorgeous, I felt like I had the perfect spot. Towel animal!!!

We went swimming next. Our luggage was brought up right away so the kids changed quickly. I relaxed and read while they swam.

We checked into Artist point at 5:30, and waited in the lounge. I sipped a beer from concierge (I love concierge, have I mentioned that yet?). I am really looking forward to dinner. Estelle sat us by a window, and Pok was our server. She was so pleasant and nice.

I ordered the Hatfield Pork Chop, wow it was delicious. The kids barely ate, of course, but ordered to share a bowl of watermelon and penne pasta with cheese sauce. They made pictures and got certificates stating they were Artists of the Day. I made it a point at the end of the meal to find the manager and tell him what magnificent service and food I experienced, and he gave me his business card. I was very impressed with Artist Point and we will be returning!

After dinner we went back to Magic Kingdom. This time the boat transportation arrived more quickly. We used fast pass to get on Space, and then rode Buzz. We hit the 100,000 again! I’m not sure exactly where it is but I know around where to start shooting and I got it! Then Haunted Mansion. As much as I love it, the sound went out, and at one point the ride totally stopped.

It was around 8:30 and I wanted to get out of Magic Kingdom before Wishes, so we took the monorail to the Poly and watched Wishes, and then beat it to a cab back to the Wilderness Lodge and caught the Electrical Water Pageant from our balcony. Then we stopped by the lounge and got sodas and cookies, and went outside to swim. The hot tub feels great on tired legs!

I wish we had another day at Wilderness Lodge, I love it.

faline
05-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Congrats on your upgrade! Even if you missed getting dream fast passes, you still got a magical moment!

Dicecatt262
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks, that was so exciting.

Side note...I had tried to go to Space twice, it was down...so we came back that night with our fast passes from earlier. The CM got a week bit snarky with me and I said "the ride was down earlier!" Then he smiled and said he knew...that is the first time I've ever seen a CM comment on a FP being late. I don't make a habit of using them late but it has happened, due to meals or ride malfunctioning. I think the ride breakage is why they broke out the dream fast passes that day at the ride exit, because people had to vacate the mountain.

I would pick a concierge upgrade any day over dream fast passes, I can get my own fast passes:thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I am enjoying your reports very much. Drama and Goofy are very entertaining! Glad you enjoyed Pop and WL (congrats on that wonderful upgrade) so far in your resort hopping trip. Thanks for reporting. :mickey:

Floridian Yeti
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
One bizarre question...do the TVs not have remotes? I did not have one...not sure if that is just because I didn’t merit one or they really don’t have remotes.

Actually, at Pop, the rooms are so small you don't need a remote. After all, you can reach the TV from anywhere in the room :thedolls:

Heh heh, just kidding, I love Pop! :thumbsup:
I am enjoying your wonderful account of your trip as well - thanks for sharing it!

MizMissy
05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Great reports! I can't wait to hear the about the rest of your trip, esp. your stay at AKL.

disneydrmr
05-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm enjoying reading your reports. Congrats on the magical upgrade! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!:mickey: