PDA

View Full Version : A Rant About Refillable Mugs

Red Randal
05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I was just doing some spring cleaning around the house and I stumbled upon a cabinet full of refillable mugs. Now, I realize from some of the posts around Intercot that many people like to drink their morning coffee or whatnot out of them when they are home to bring about some Disney memories or whatever. Unfortunately, my sentimentality does not extend to these bulky, useless, pieces of plastic.

Seriously. The things are huge and the only reason I ever fill them up when I'm at Disney is to get my $12 worth. I have no need to drink a tub of Pepsi when I get home. Yes, I know they have made smaller sizes that can fit into a car cup holder but then you don't get your money's worth of "free" soda when you're actually at the resort. So the economical choice is the jumbo, completely useless anywhere that mouse ears are not acceptable headware, size that just lands in my cabinet the moment I unpack.

Yet there they are. Caribbean Beach Resort, Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, all sitting there collecting dust. I could probably build a nice little shelf to show them off on but then I would have to field questions from house guests like "why would you buy that goofy looking mug" and then I would need to explain how Disney pumps something into the air that makes you want to buy junk.

I know they are cherished souvenirs for some of you, but I suspect there is a (until now) silent minority that shakes their head in disgust every time they notice the cabinet delegated to old refillable mugs...and then makes sure to buy one within an hour of arrival on their next trip.

I don't have a solution to this problem but I certainly feel a lot better now, having made my disdain for old refillable mugs known. With this albatross off my neck, I'll drive to Home Depot a free man, and buy some material to start building shelves. That or pop in a DVD. I haven't decided yet. I know return you to your regularly scheduled message board. :twocents: :bang:

scooterca42
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
:rotfl: :laughing:

Oh, that made my day...snort!

Mind you, those mugs have JUST enough room for my Monday morning coffee...

Granny Jill A
05-10-2007, 04:27 PM
The first time I ever went to WDW, buying a mug was a BIG deal. I agree with you regarding the problem of what to do with all those mugs you buy to save a buck or two on drinks. I finally started leaving the things behind because I had a whole cabinet full of them at home.

Perhaps Disney can create a refillable container that can be recycled at the end of the trip. I know the landfills do not need another plastic thingy.

SBETigg
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Goodness, man, the alternative is to not buy them or just throw them out if you don't want them around now. It's not an issue. They're even recyclable.

If you use them daily at the resort, multiple times a day, they are a great deal. You make up the cost with ten refills or so. Surely you drink more than ten drinks at a WDW resort, making them quite the value even if you considered them disposable once your stay was over. No big deal. My only quibble was that when we stayed at the Poly, there was only one size and it held about a cup, so we kept having to go back for more refills.

But yes, they are now in my cabinet and I use them regularly to remind me of WDW. ;)

BrerSchultzy
05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Include me in the silent (no longer) minority. I have soooo many of these things, and I have no idea what to do with them (right now, they're in a drawer in my closet). They are great in the parks....but then again, so are fanny packs and goofy ears.

Now......work out a deal with McDonald's, and then we'll change our tune. :mickey:

KylesMom
05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
What're you guys talking about? Our resort cups get put to good use on the weekends - :beer: :beer: :beer: :mickey: Convenient with the no-spill tops, too! :D

MNNHFLTX
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
For Red Randal the rest of you in the silent (no longer) minority, two suggestions:

1. Throw your old mugs out.

2. Don't buy them anymore.

There--problem solved. :mickey:

JPL
05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Some other ideas

3. Give them away to people who will use them.

4. Sell them on Ebay

Pop Centurion
05-10-2007, 06:09 PM
For Red Randal the rest of you in the silent (no longer) minority, two suggestions:

1. Throw your old mugs out.

2. Don't buy them anymore.

There--problem solved. :mickey:My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Jasper
05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
We have partially solved this problem by sharing a mug when we are at Disney World, which means we don't have nearly as many of them in the cabinets. We also like to put them in the camper for camping trips.

Now before you all get excited about us sharing a mug, I am not a heavy drinker of soft drinks(think less than 1/2 can of soft drink a day,) so the most I ever do is have a few sips. My daughter is the same way, so between the two of us we drink less than one soft drink a day. Besides, the rules don't say anyplace that you can't share.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I have mugs from the GF and Cont. and after buying 2 that was enough for us. It is much more convenient and cheaper for us to buy the drinks we want and keep them in our room. I get what I want and it is right there, no traveling down to the quick service place.

We go to Publix when we make our trip to the Premium Outlet Disney store and get all the juice, pop, beer, wine we want. That $12 will buy a lot of snacks there.

MinnieMommie
05-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Hold on to them. Maybe they'll be valuable someday! :mickey:

disneygirlie11
05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I just thought I would let you know, that while the skinny mugs LOOK smaller they are both actually the same size. Look inside your larger mugs and notice how much room is actually in them. I believe they both hold 12 oz. We were told this last time we visited and we didn't quite believe. So we tested it out, and low and behold---they are the same size!

Marilyn Michetti
05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
We got them both trips that we were housed at the Contemporary while SOG was being re-modeled. DH would go for coffee when we first woke up, and by the time we were ready to go to a park, we got a refill. It was no big deal to stick them in our backpack, and get something again on our way back to our room in the evening.

I always liked them because they had big handles - less chance of spilling. Three drinks a day apice for a week was well worth the price. We don't have them anymore, but they served the purpose.:)

bmj721
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
We've solved our mug problem. I've kept one or two. The others I gave to my sister who has never been to Disney. She and her husband drink lots of DP.
:D

Red Randal
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Some other ideas

4. Sell them on Ebay

People will BUY those things on Ebay? Actually, I'm not at all surprised.

And, to everyone else who suggested not buying them: it's not an option!! I need to have the ability to drink 78 sodas for 12 bucks! And why would I just LEAVE IT in the room? Next thing you'll suggest that I don't take all of the free soaps and shampoos as souvenirs too.

BrerGnat
05-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow, well I actually USE my mugs. My "water" mug, as I call it (I drink water out of it all day, I just refill it about every hour), is the "free" mug I got from Blizzard Beach for not getting back the deposit on my locker ($3). It says "Summer 2001" on it, and it's slowly fading down from the top, so pretty soon, I won't remember what year it is from. :D However, I have been using it DAILY since then. I have no idea why this one...it's not even a resort mug and it's not even a Blizzard Beach Mug. It's actually a pretty ugly white mug with a red handle with a drawing of "old school" (think Steamboat Willie) style Mickey and Minnie swimming. I don't even really like it, but I have grown fond of it over the past 6 YEARS.

My other two mugs are being used as pen holders. One in the office, one by the phone in the kitchen.

My most recent WL mug is used when I need to take my morning coffee in the car.

So, I actually DO use all my mugs. I would never let them gather dust in a cabinet.

Pipalotta
05-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Luckily we only have 2 in our cabinet right now, but after January we will have 5 all together. But I think we have more of a problem with regular coffee mugs than the plastic ones. But I have this strange thing were I wont drink out of glass cups so the re-fillable mugs are great for me.

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Seriously. The things are huge and the only reason I ever fill them up when I'm at Disney is to get my $12 worth. I have no need to drink a tub of Pepsi when I get home. Yes, I know they have made smaller sizes that can fit into a car cup holder but then you don't get your money's worth of "free" soda when you're actually at the resort. So the economical choice is the jumbo... :twocents: :bang:
Actually, the car size fits more soda than the large, bulky size. You were gypped out of soda and cabinet space!:(

mttafire
05-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Goodness, man, the alternative is to not buy them or just throw them out if you don't want them around now. It's not an issue. They're even recyclable.

If you use them daily at the resort, multiple times a day, they are a great deal. You make up the cost with ten refills or so. Surely you drink more than ten drinks at a WDW resort, making them quite the value even if you considered them disposable once your stay was over. No big deal. My only quibble was that when we stayed at the Poly, there was only one size and it held about a cup, so we kept having to go back for more refills.

But yes, they are now in my cabinet and I use them regularly to remind me of WDW. ;)
Agreed..Ill also add that, When we have things around the house we dont want...We throw them out..It really isnt an issue. However, I do like the mugs..GREAT VALUE!!:mickey:

big blue and hairy
05-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Actually, the car size fits more soda than the large, bulky size. You were gypped out of soda and cabinet space!:(
Exactly right...the size issue came up in a post several years ago, and I just did the logical thing, I grabbed one of each, filled up the thinner one, poured it into the wider one and it didn't hold all the liquid. Get the other mug....

:sulley:

MR SANDERS
05-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Those of you who think these cumbersome chunks of plastic are a great value have certainly fallen under the spell of the magic. You are charged $12 for a piece of plastic that costs maybe 10 cents to make. Then, they make you think you're getting a deal, because $12 IS a deal when the resorts charge $3.00 for a 20-ounce Coke! We were taken in by the novelty of it all, too, but we visited resort properties about three times in one year and were able to get 3 uses from the same mugs. Based on normal soda pricing, I think we may have broken even after the third trip. Save the money and the hassle of later disposal - visit a store on your way in and buy 4 12-packs for the price of one souvenier mug that's going to be collecting dust in a cabinet later.
That's my opinion...we welcome yours!

mttafire
05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Those of you who think these cumbersome chunks of plastic are a great value have certainly fallen under the spell of the magic. You are charged $12 for a piece of plastic that costs maybe 10 cents to make. Then, they make you think you're getting a deal, because $12 IS a deal when the resorts charge $3.00 for a 20-ounce Coke! We were taken in by the novelty of it all, too, but we visited resort properties about three times in one year and were able to get 3 uses from the same mugs. Based on normal soda pricing, I think we may have broken even after the third trip. Save the money and the hassle of later disposal - visit a store on your way in and buy 4 12-packs for the price of one souvenier mug that's going to be collecting dust in a cabinet later.
compared to the price of soda at Wal Mart then yes, you are correct. They are not a good value. However, At Disney..They are. When you are there you pay 3.00 for soda. Its all relative. I look at it like hedging soda..:thumbsup: Expensive yes, but if you are going to drink soda then they are ok. Lets me also just add that 12.00 is such an insignificant cost while at Disney. I like soda and i like the mugs.

BigRedDad
05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I laughed at this one.

Just to put it in perspective, do you know how many times you would have to fill one of those mugs (without ice) to get $12 worth of soda? It would be in the neighborhood of 75-100. I highly doubt you are going to get your moneys worth on any one trip. Next time, maybe buy one and fill other containers with it :number1: . That is most likely against WDW policy though.

Mickey91
05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Exactly right...the size issue came up in a post several years ago, and I just did the logical thing, I grabbed one of each, filled up the thinner one, poured it into the wider one and it didn't hold all the liquid. Get the other mug....

:sulley:
I did the same thing!:mickey:

Dicecatt262
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a solution for you, if you are so against the mug principal...stay concierge and drink the soda there :D :D :D :D :D

Okay, KIDDING...although we don't have as many mugs because during our concierge trips we don't need them:D

SBETigg
05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Save the money and the hassle of later disposal - visit a store on your way in and buy 4 12-packs for the price of one souvenier mug that's going to be collecting dust in a cabinet later.

You're on vacation and you want to go through the hassle of going to the store and buying something yourself? Actually, we fly in and do not rent a car, so this doesn't work for me.

You are right. It is cheaper to buy your own. But we value convenience over thrift on vacation and the mug being a better deal than buying multiple resort sodas is enough savings for me. It's all relative when we're on vacation.

But Poor Red Randal still needs to know what to do with his mugs. I'm thinking they might make great Christmas tree ornaments? How about that, Red Randal? You need a big tree, of course.

MR SANDERS
05-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Actually, yes, I do...we have invested in DVC and in annual passes...our goal now is to do Disney as economically (read - cheaply) as possible. It's great fun! We purchase pop tarts, pb&j, and other items at the store on the way down. Then, we enter the parks and munch away on crackers, sandwiches, and juices while in the park. All of the fun of Disney without $5.00 hot dogs! We save our money to spend on more important things that last longer than a meal.
Of course, I must say at this point that on our first trips, we used the DDP and got in all the character meals for the experience. Now, we go for the Magic, not the meals. And I must also admit that it's not a trip to Disney without a turkey leg, a Dole whip, and a giant Oreo from Goofy's!

Cinderelley
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
But Poor Red Randal still needs to know what to do with his mugs.

Next thing you'll suggest that I don't take all of the free soaps and shampoos as souvenirs too.

Here's my suggestion, put the small soaps and shampoos into the refillable mugs, wrap them up, and then donate them to a local domestic violence shelter.

I must be the ultimate sucker. I don't even drink soda, and I get the mug. :D I like looking at them sitting in my cabinet.

Nicki'sMom
05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
WOW...I love all of you people! :funny:

k_reile
05-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I figured if DH and I do buy them on our next trip then we could probably just give them to his niece and newphew as part of their souviners when we get home...they love drinking out of larger cups like that...makes them feel bigger:mickey:

SBETigg
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Here's my suggestion, put the small soaps and shampoos into the refillable mugs, wrap them up, and then donate them to a local domestic violence shelter.

Cinderelley, brilliant! That's a really lovely suggestion.

Spaceship Tigger
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
We always get the mugs as souvenirs even though we know they're probably not worth $12 of refills at WDW. We use them quite a bit at home. Because of the DDP we end up with enough soft drinks at meals as it is, so a lot of the time we end up refilling the mugs with water at the resort anyway.

TheRustyScupper
05-11-2007, 12:27 PM
. . . I know they are cherished souvenirs for some of you, but I suspect there is a (until now) silent minority that shakes their head in disgust every time they notice the cabinet delegated to old refillable mugs . . .

1) We don't collect the mugs.
2) However, we have some that won't be tossed away.
3) These are pre-length-of-stay mugs.
4) Thus, we can use them forever (at that resort).

NOTE: Mugs used to be advertised as "buy and use on future trips". Thus, they are not under the "this stay only" policy. In some cases, the printing is all but worn off the mugs. We have some from one resort that goes back to 1995.

Red Randal
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
1)
NOTE: Mugs used to be advertised as "buy and use on future trips". Thus, they are not under the "this stay only" policy. In some cases, the printing is all but worn off the mugs. We have some from one resort that goes back to 1995.

Don't they look at you like you're insane when you claim that your mug qualifies you to unlimited refills? Haha. That's awesome.

What's even more amazing is that I think I have a CBR mug from 1994. If that thing qualifies me for free refills still, then I'm driving to CBR just to try and use it. :D

luvdiznee
05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Love my refillable mugs as souvi's once I get home to have that "Magic" with me! :cloud9: From DCL, AK, CBR and POP, I will continue to collect these. To each his own, I geuss. :mickey:

cgriff
05-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't have a solution to this problem...

I do, eBay!

:mickey:

DisneyDudet
05-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I have some of the old school ones sitting on a shelf... the 25th anniversary.. REALLY OLD ASM and some Dixie Landings... I use my new WL one often. I only used it a few times.. but I LOVE it!

Sell them on ebay... you'd be surprise at what people will buy...

kakn7294
05-12-2007, 01:45 AM
If you don't like the mugs and don't think they are a good value, DON'T BUY IT! Just because one person regrets purchasing them, doesn't mean everyone does. In fact, I'm thinking I need a new one as I can only see part of Mickey's pants and shoes on my old ones because I use them nearly everyday for the past 4 years since I purchased it. My coffee sits in one right now. It's been a great value for me - they don't easily break, they are microwaveable (great for those days when I have lost my coffee and it gets cold before I find it again), it's easily distinguished at work from the sea of plain styrofoam cups, it fits neatly in the cupholder in my Jeep, and it makes me happy.

DisneyDudet
05-12-2007, 03:44 AM
<snip>

Oops... you can't promote cheating the system. Its against Intercot's Term of Service.

I looked on ebay this evening and found some of the new mugs going at over $6 plus shipping, each. There was a pack of 4 POP mugs (two chunky and 2 that fit in the cup holders) going for over $15, so.. .yeah.. you can sell them and make some change for next trip!

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Last time I checked there weren't guys that looked like refugees from the Soprano's standing at the counters making you buy the mugs.
If you don't think they are a good deal for YOU don't get them. To me there is more to take into account than just the price of the mug...on vacation I am willing to pay a bit more for convenience, that is why I am on vacation.
I guess it is all in how you choose to look at things, when I see our mugs on top of the fridge or in the closet rather than seeing objects taking up space and collecting dust, I see memories of fun trips, remember how we enjoyed the various resorts and how my daughter and niece have had the chance to grow up enjoying the Disney magic and the respite it brings from that not always magic real world.
And to me, that is priceless...:mickey:

minnie1956
05-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Mugs... Soprano's??? :rotfl: :rotfl:
But seriously, It's a great program, convenient and souvenier to boot. To me, they are great memories of some very fun times.
You should see my popcorn bucket collection!!
I never thought about the ebay thing though.:spy:
Hey! Anyone want to get mugged.
I crack myself up!!!

momof3boysinTN
05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I just thought I would let you know, that while the skinny mugs LOOK smaller they are both actually the same size. Look inside your larger mugs and notice how much room is actually in them. I believe they both hold 12 oz. We were told this last time we visited and we didn't quite believe. So we tested it out, and low and behold---they are the same size!
You are right on we tried this ourselves. The smaller looking ones just happen to fit in stroller and car cup holders!!:thumbsup: Quite handy with the no spill lids!! Use ours all the time. To each his own. But just toss them out or give to a friend with children they are sure to love the Disney themed cups!!!
:mickey:

snifflesmcg
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
I can totally understand where the original poster is coming from. I'm wrestling with the idea of having to spend $12 for a mug. Since I didn't pay to have the "preferred room" it's quite a hike to keep filling up a 12 oz mug. Anyway, if that doesn't bother anyone and you are just worried about the cabinet space.....why not hand your mug to somebody in the resort who could use it. I have handed people fastpasses I didn't use and dessert not eaten, why not spread the disney magic?:)

TheMartellFamily
05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey I am a proud owner of 6 reuseable mugs. When we get home the kids love to use them to fill with ice and water and the lid makes it so there is not so much of a mess.

irish1967
05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
The value I get from my mugs goes beyond the $12 for each...

Mine sit on my toaster oven (which I should get rid of, 'cuz I obviously don't use it that often :blush: ) When I look at them, here is what I see...

Contemporary resort - second honeymoon with DH

Poly - the look in my sons' eyes as they watched the fireworks off of the balcony

GF - my neices running toward me in the lobby when they arrived for their first visit.

I use them every day and the memories make me happy.

As far as Disney bucks are concerned we use them well - three adults and two children - different tastes, different times of days. Would it be less expensive to bring our own drinks, yes - but for me, the value isn't in the dollar - we save all year for our three nights at Disney - the visual reminder of the memories is worth it to me.

TammiMcMan
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
.....why not hand your mug to somebody in the resort who could use it. I have handed people fastpasses I didn't use and dessert not eaten, why not spread the disney magic?:)Because unfortunately, the mugs are not like fastpasses. They are good for the length of stay for the person who purchased it. I like the E-bay idea myself. Someone else gets a souvenier that you no longer want and you get maybe $8 or $9 dollars towards the purchase of a new refillable mug on your next trip.

btuskan
05-13-2007, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=minnie1956;1286458]You should see my popcorn bucket collection!!
QUOTE]

:funny: LOL! Me too! I thought I was the only one with about 10 buckets cluttering my house.

Dakota Rose
05-14-2007, 12:12 AM
I tried really hard not to invest my 2 cents on this topic. Obviously not hard enough! :)

I've bought the mugs twice. Both times at POR and though they were purchased 7 years apart, they are identical.

I look at them as a souvenir, so I use mine when I need a Disney Dose.

As for value, I guess I don't understand how someone can say it takes 75+ refills to get your $ worth. I don't know the going price of pop at one of the resorts, but even if a pop/coffee/tea/hot coco was $1.00/each, you'd buy 12 drinks before you broke even on the mug. Since we all know that beverages are more than a buck each, I'd say you'll break even after filling your mug 5-6 times. I was working out this elaborate math equation to prove this and then I thought, why?

If we drive to WDW the next time, we might be less inclined to buy the mugs since we could stop by a store. But since we usually fly, the $ we'd save on buying a 12-pack would be more than spent on the cab ride.

The precipice on this matter is the same on all things Disney: to some it's a value, to others it is not and either side can present facts to make you question your point of view.

Back to the orignal topic, I can totally see the poor guy having a breakdown b/c of all these mugs. Just last week I threw out all my old soaps and paper coasters for that same reason. And you know what? A few minutes later I dug them out of the garbage and returned them to the drawer. If they're not taking up the space, some other useless item will.

Juniorunc2001
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
They are great reminders of the fun, but to bulky!

I wish they were a bit smaller, but bigger in the sense you could fit more in them!

Kinda contradicting, but it makes sense to me!!:mickey:

mook3y
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Some other ideas

4. Sell them on Ebay

Ebay was my first thought! Bet they sell there nor problem. then You get a little of your $ back, making it an even better deal. And you will make some WDW fan happy to get a mug that is no longer available!

Mickey91
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Now that Disney has taken away the special resort mug, they will probably be quite collectable. Ebay would be a great way to get rid of these.... Especially...GF, CR, CSR, hint, hint...:mickey: