PDA

View Full Version : Forest Fires

Red Randal
05-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm hearing some cable news on some severe forest fires in the state of Florida. I don't see anything posted here about it, so I assume the Walt Disney World area is not threatened. Though I do remember hearing a bizarre weather forecast for Orlando listing the conditions as "smoke."

What's going on down there? Selfishly, should I be concerned since I am flying out in a week? Less selfishly, is everyone who is there now or lives in the area from Intercot doing okay? What's the deal?

John
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
When we were down there a few weeks ago, indeed everything was "hazy" and smelled like there was a barbecue going on. No joke. When I asked someone about that, they said it was the fires near the Georgia / Florida line that were causing that.

JPL
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I had a similar experience with the fires came back evry night smelling like I was in the middle of it. Almost like that after camping smell when you were sitting it front of the camp fire.

Ian
05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
It was hazy one day on our trip, but by the time we left things were fine.

I wouldn't worry.

smeedell
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
We were staying at AS during some forest fires.

We noticed the smell more in the morning. The haze from the smoke appeared like fog, but became cleared during the day.

We actually saw some brush on fire close to the golf course. It was called in by our driver.

I wouldn't worry about the fires. If there were ever any fires close to WDW, then I am sure they would be put out quickly.

MinnieMommie
05-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm hearing some cable news on some severe forest fires in the state of Florida. I don't see anything posted here about it, so I assume the Walt Disney World area is not threatened. Though I do remember hearing a bizarre weather forecast for Orlando listing the conditions as "smoke."

What's going on down there? Selfishly, should I be concerned since I am flying out in a week? Less selfishly, is everyone who is there now or lives in the area from Intercot doing okay? What's the deal?

Hey Red - check out what Chris(aka strmchsr) has to say in Vacation Planning. I recommend PMing him to get answers to specific questions concerning your upcoming week. He is very helpful! :mickey:

Red Randal
05-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks! I totally forgot he posted those awesome forecasts. I now have daily reading for the next week. :thumbsup:

Dr_Nigel_C
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't see this info posted anywhere else, so here goes:

According to CNN, large segments of Interstates 10 & 75 in Florida have been completely shut down due to the fires in the area.

This will severly affect those of you traveling in and out of the Disney area, so please be careful!

Our thoughts to everyone affected...

joelkfla
05-12-2007, 09:29 PM
On 2 days last week, the local news said Central Florida had the worst air quality reported in the U.S.!

But it comes and goes depending on which way the wind is blowing, and how hard. One day last week, there was virtually no smoke near my house, but it was thick and stinky at work 15 miles away. And it can also appear or disappear at any time during the day; some days it was more noticeable in the morning, and others in the afternoon.

kmo84
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM
If you have any respitory problems, the smoke can irritate it.

We were at Epcot a little over a week ago and there was quite a bit of smoke in the morning.

The good news was it had pretty much cleared up by noon.

I will be there next week myself. I hope the fires are more under control by then.:(