PDA

View Full Version : Why do Castmembers point with two fingers?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I read something in a story that pointed this out, and I never really noticed it until I read about it. But Disney CMs do, and they are trained to, point with more than one finger?

MartyS
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing last week. I never noticed until my daughter, who is going to WDW for the college program next August, said something about it. I looked it up, and sure enough, CM's can use more than one finger to point, or their whole hand, but never just one finger. I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but I can't figure it out. Hopefully, somebody will come along soon to enlighten us.

WEDTOPIA
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Cast Members use the "2 finger point " ,because in some cultures it's considered rude to point with one finger. They can also use the whole hand to point with but never just one finger.

:mickey:

poeticeclipse
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Cast Members use the "2 finger point " ,because in some cultures it's considered rude to point with one finger. They can also use the whole hand to point with but never just one finger.

That's what I was thinking too! I know that the sign "okay" isn't as universal as you may think. I know that in Brazil it means something completely different and you could offend someone if you made that sign and they didn't know what you meant.

A Big Kid
05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Because they cant count to three?

dixielandings
05-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Must be the same reason for flight attendants. It's also easier to see and definitely seems more professional.

Then again, I doubt I would ever have noticed. :number1:

disneynarula
05-10-2007, 05:00 AM
I know that the sign "okay" isn't as universal as you may think. I know that in Brazil it means something completely different and you could offend someone if you made that sign and they didn't know what you meant.

That is why WDW castmembers use a thumbs up :thumbsup: instead of ok. You notice this mostly with attraction operations.

4myprincesses
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
I believe it is mainly Asian cultures that the single-finger point is considered rude. (Just in case you ever go there ;) )

Belle's Mom
05-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I never noticed this or even thought about it! I guess I am just too absorbed in where I am going and what I am seeing!!:mickey:

Olga
05-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Confirm. In my country it's really considered rude (or not very politely) to point with one finger.

Mickey'sGirl
05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Confirm. In my country it's really considered rude (or not very politely) to point with one finger.
Mine too....Gesturing with the whole hand is much more acceptable.

DDuck66
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
In my business etiquette class many years ago, it was said that pointing with one finger is often a sign of anger or blame. In business, a manager should never point out a fault or a negative with one finger..it bellittles a person and defeats the "team" concept. Pointing with one finger can also be misconstrued...what exactly are you pointing at??? That is what I had been told.

Kairi_7378
05-10-2007, 09:14 AM
This is why I love Intercot! I learn all sorts of things that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed about the parks and about the world.

DizNee143
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
because its rude to point with one finger..my sister always did the 2 finger point when she worked there..i use to make fun of her all the time for it...and i still do..because she doesnt work there now and she still points with two fingers...
people who work for disney must use to fingers or there whole hand to point out something...

BrerSchultzy
05-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I remember when I started at the Disney Store, that was always the first thing everybody would tell me..."NEVER point with ONE finger...two fingers or open palm. One finger is considered accusatory or rude." EVERY SINGLE CM told me that my first couple of days.

To this day, I can't point with one finger...and people mock me for it. Think I could sue? Emotional damage....

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I believe it is mainly Asian cultures that the single-finger point is considered rude. (Just in case you ever go there ;) )
Actually, here in the US it is rude to point with one finger. I am always chastising my kids "Don't point! It's rude!" America has just become slack on pleasantries.

BigRedDad
05-10-2007, 10:03 AM
All hand gestures can be misconstrued based on customs. Pointing with one finger is considered rude in the US. The thumbs up sign :thumbsup: is very rude in many countries. We had a person close a multi-hundred-million dollar deal with a foreign company (forgot which one). He gave the team the :thumbsup: as he boarded his plane and was fired while on flight. The company canceled the sale and was offended deeply.

poeticeclipse
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Nothing is worse than my mom's pointing. She honestly doesn't mean to do it but she will point with her middle finger. For example, if she's at Wal-Mart and she wants to push her check towards the cashier... she'll do it with her middle finger! Or if we're in downtown Chicago she'll point to a store with her middle finger. I always grab her hand and go "Mom!!"

Figgyluv03
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM

It's such a hard habbit to break!!!! I still get funny looks like, why do you do that?!

angedeaile
05-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Nothing is worse than my mom's pointing. She honestly doesn't mean to do it but she will point with her middle finger. For example, if she's at Wal-Mart and she wants to push her check towards the cashier... she'll do it with her middle finger! Or if we're in downtown Chicago she'll point to a store with her middle finger. I always grab her hand and go "Mom!!"

LOL. Oh, I love it when the tables turn and "children" need to tell their parents when they are doing inappropriate stuff.

bleukarma
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually, here in the US it is rude to point with one finger. I am always chastising my kids "Don't point! It's rude!" America has just become slack on pleasantries.

Yeah, when I was growing up I was always told "Don't point! It's rude!"

I once worked at Dillards with a girl that worked at Disney in her younger years. Everytime she would point a customer to a certain direction in the store she would do the two finger point. I learned about the Disney's rule from her.

Leave it to Disney to think of everything!

TheRustyScupper
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
1) It is a tradition that goes back to Uncle Walt.
2) It is NOT cultural.
3) He saw single-finger points and thought it rude.
4) It was as if the CM said "do this!", as a teacher or cop.
5) Or like you were scolding someone, like my grandmother did.
6) Two, or more, fingers is more inviting and courteous.
7) It "suggests" the way.

NOTE: It was also explained that if the CM inadvertently hit someone while pointing, a one-finger point is almost like an assault and can be taken harshly by the person the CM struck. A two-finger or whole hand point is easily understood as an error and quickly forgiven.

CM~Mserrano
05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
It's definately a hard habit to break, it becomes so second nature when you do it all day long, that, even after almost a year of not working with the company (:( It's okay though I'm going back!!) I still do it on a regular basis, although I don't have that much of an opportunity to point at the job I have now. Disney really brainwashes its CMs :mickey: People always make fun of me when I do the old "Disney-point" because they know I used to work there and i'm doing it because of that.

MissMaryPoppins
05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
My brother and his fiancee worked for Disney and during training they were told they point with 2 fingers because Walt Disney was a smoker and when someone asked him for directions he would point using 2 fingers. Personally, I think that's a better story than the whole cultural thing.

Joy

Soul_Power
05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
This is a great topic! After reading this, I know I'm going to really notice this when I go in two weeks. Thanks for this interesting fact!

Main Street Jim
05-12-2007, 02:55 PM
The "Disney point" (two fingers) is rumored to have come from Uncle Walt himself, not *only* as a "non-rude" gesture, but because Walt nearly *always* had a cigarette in one hand :)

TikiGoddess
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Great topic -- something I never thought about. I will have to ask my (ex-CM) DH to point something out to me and see what he does. :)

TikiG