PDA

View Full Version : New England Clambake - Really New England?

disney100%
05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
My family is considering trying the Clambake at Cape May on our next trip. One of my coworkers said not to bother because it isn't really like a New England Clambake. Now, she tends to be a complainer about most things, so I take her opinion with a grain of salt. After reading the menu, it certainly sounds delicious and definitely worth the money. Any opinions (for a "New Englander") on the food would be greatly appreciated.

TheRustyScupper
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
. . . it isn't really like a New England Clambake . . .

1) She may be a complainer.
2) But, she is also correct.
3) However, it is good.
4) Not great and not New England.
5) But, good.

NOTE: This review is admittedly bias. I am a seafood lover and HUGE clam-bake lover. If this was in my local area, I would go to another clam bake. However, it is not a bad idea for WDW.

DizneyRox
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
No, it's not a New England Clam bake. But it is pretty good. No steamers, and no lobster for the most part. But, it's worth checking out if you're in the area and are hungry.

I would go back, but it won't curb my hunger for a good old New England Clam Bake.

RockChalkKimball
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Having never been to a New England Clam Bake, I cannot attest to its authenticity. However, my DD and really enjoyed it and thought all of the food was really good and that there was alot to choose from. When you live in KS you don't have alot of "clam bakes", so we enjoyed the unique opportunity.

EvilQueen2006
05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I have never been to Cape May for this reason. I have heard from other's who have been that the clams are "farm-raised" which means they are small, tasteless, and don't have bellies. Like the above poster said, there are no steamers. You need steamers to have a new england clambake. :eat:

lovewalt
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I had the same concerns when I booked an ADR at Cape May last fall. I found the clams to be tiny ,tasteless and not at all like the steamers around here(Maine) BUT there was plenty of great food to make up for it so I didn't feel dissapointed.If you have your heart set on clams wait until you are back in New England.If you want a decent buffet in a beautiful resort then go for it!

pox24
05-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Having grown up in New Engalnd and dining at Cape May many times it never gets old. However, its not like eating at home. I must say that the mussels are very meaty and although the cherry stones are small they are plentiful and not bad. You have to consider how many people attend this buffet each night. Its remarkable the amount of seafood served and its quality. After all it is WDW and Florida. Is it the next best best thing to being in Gloucester? No, but I always go back.:thumbsup:

DISNEYFIX
05-10-2007, 08:06 AM
How is the chowda?
Thanks
Chris

disney100%
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I think knowing ahead of time that it isn't an authentic New England clambake may still make it enjoyable for us. Though, my dad may be disappointed that there aren't any steamers! :mickey:

Belle--86
05-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I have to agree it,s not a authentic New England clam bake but it's a good meal in a nice resort.;)

mermaidmarian
05-10-2007, 05:19 PM
It's not authentic - it's okay. I think it is the wave pool equivalent of the ocean. Works for people who don't have access to the real deal, and probably works really well at that....kind of a let down for those who can get the real thing. I'd take a pass and go pretend to eat in Paris or Itay!

disney100%
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
It's not authentic - it's okay. I think it is the wave pool equivalent of the ocean. Works for people who don't have access to the real deal, and probably works really well at that....kind of a let down for those who can get the real thing. I'd take a pass and go pretend to eat in Paris or Itay!

That's a very good point. I actually spoke with my parents and aunt and uncle this afternoon. I think we are going to skip it and have a clambake this summer! We figure since we are already going to Cape May for breakfast one morning (our favorite) we will already get to spend some time at the Beach Club.

Thanks everyone for your input!