PDA

View Full Version : Shoes with wheels???

just2mickey
05-09-2007, 03:54 PM
What is the "official rule" on this?

biodtl
05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
They are not allowed in any Disney parks, for liability/safety reasons - not only for the guest wearing them, but for anyone else who might be hurt by a runaway skater.

Sharon1026
05-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I can confirm this. No wheeled shoes at any Disney park!

:stitch2:

KAJUNKING
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I can confirm this. No wheeled shoes at any Disney park!

:stitch2:

:ditto:

BrerSchultzy
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Technically, they are not allowed in any public places in Central Florida (maybe all of Florida). They are considered Roller Skates, and the fine for using them in public is $250. Not to say that your child will be fined for using them, but CMs will remind you of the law (as WDW is a "public place"), and ask you to have your child change their shoes.

And thank goodness for that.

jaredkari
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Kind of on this topic but kind of just my rant about the "roller shoes". I know kids love them and they do look like fun but my wife is an ER nurse and she says they have seen their share of roller shoe accidents. Everytime my wife sees a kid wearing them she just says theres an accident waiting to happen. I am glad WDW doesn't allow them. I wish there was some law enforced up here in IL.

snifflesmcg
05-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I am so happy Disney banned these shoes. I think they are dangerous, not to mention ridiculous. I don't have kids but if I did, they wouldn't be allowed to wear them. My brother bought a pair for my 9 year old nephew and I called him crazy for it.

just2mickey
05-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the input. My DD received a pair for Christmas from her grandparents. I CANNOT begin to tell you how many arguments we have had over these things. Not only do they have a rubber sole that is four feet thick, I cannot take all of that rolling around. You parents know by now that we never know what we are talking about so I thought I would post, get some comments as my secret weapon when I tell her...NO YOU MAY WEAR THOSE IN THE PARK. :secret:

YellowXterra
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
they Look dangerous

Wolf
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I hate those shoes. I'm sorry if yalls kids have em or whatever but when I'm carrying a 25-30 pound tray at cracker barrel and one of those hethen kids zoom in front of me cutting me off I want to scream. Please I'm begging you guys, keep your kids from zooming around resturants?

tigger24601
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
imho if you want to skate go to a skating rink. as for the shoes, i haven't heard of fines for them in s. fla (ft. lauderdale area) however they are not allowed in public schools down here and aren't as popular as they used to be in this area seen as a child didn't look both ways before zooming out of his driveway on them and was killed. i can't stand them. everytime someone zooms by me i (being as short as i am) could easily reach out and closeline them and have the urge to do so frequenty.

Buzz_Burbank
05-10-2007, 02:36 AM
They are not allowed in any Disney parks, for liability/safety reasons - not only for the guest wearing them, but for anyone else who might be hurt by a runaway skater.

Is this policy something new? If so it's about time. I'm a passholder who goes to WDW about four times a year and I can't count the number of times I've had to dodge kids on these things over the last several years. You would think that parents would have enough sense to know that a crowded public place like WDW is not a good place for these things but many don't seem to get it. If this isn't a new policy I can say that I've never seen it enforced. I was last there in Feb and this problem was as bad as ever. I'm heading down again in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.... Now if parents parents will quit blocking everybody's view at Wishes by sitting their kids on their shoulders then I'll really be happy.

Carol
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Is this policy something new?
No.

Olga
05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Even as this policy is not new, I've also seen huge number of teenagers in these wheel shoes in October :confused:

disneymom15
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
On our last 2 or 3 trips to Disney I did see several CM's tell kids to put there wheels up. I agree with you guys, they shouldn't be allowed in the crowded parks.

Marker
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I understand that it is the policy, but apparently it proves difficult, or nearly impossible, to enforce.

Those things were all over the place when I was there in March.

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm glad they are not allowed. My kids' friends all have them. They are obnoxious.

Disnamic Duo
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I can see why they're not allowed in the parks (although I've seen many kids skating around on them), but they sure look like fun to me. I wish I could have had them when I was a kid. Sure, there are probably some minor injuries caused by them, but isn't there the possibility of an injury with MANY things with wheels? I wonder if there are more people in hospitals from them or from car accidents?

Shoebee99
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
My daughter has them and is allowed to wear them at the house - not when we go out or even inside the house. I couldn't imagine having her wear them all day at the parks! I'm sure they must hurt the front of the leg holding up your toes and not to mention the size of the sole having wheels in there can't be the best thing for your feet to spend the day in walking all over the parks!:confused:

Marker
05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I can see why they're not allowed in the parks (although I've seen many kids skating around on them), but they sure look like fun to me. I wish I could have had them when I was a kid. Sure, there are probably some minor injuries caused by them, but isn't there the possibility of an injury with MANY things with wheels? I wonder if there are more people in hospitals from them or from car accidents?

Cars aren't allowed in the parks either.

The restrictions are a matter of liability, not a matter of limiting fun. By having a defined policy against them, they minimize the potential for lawsuits. If someone wearing them crashes and burns, or runs over an old lady, or flattens a baby in a stroller... that person can't come back at Disney with "Why Did Disney Allow...", because Disney specifically did NOT allow. The "little angel" wearing them took it upon themselves to ignore the written policy.

They may be fun for the wearer, but for the rest of the crowd, they are an annoyance, and a potential danger, especially on heavily crowded days when just walking can be a challenge.

ILoveLegos
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree with everyone about wheelies/heeleys they really shouldn't be used at theme parks and resturants for consideration of other guests and the safety of all. There is a time and place for everything though, and my niece and I have good time heeley-ing at our local skate park (I have small feet and a pair of heeleys plus I love skating). It takes a little while to learn to balance on them but I find the toe up skating position comfortable compared to walking in the skates with the wheels up or in the off position (not the most comfortable sneakers in the world because they are too rigid in the sole and kind like wedged heels and klunkier/heavier than regular sneakers). I would never want to heeley for more than an hour or so, they really weren't meant to be used for transportation - (even though the official heeley website shows otherwise). To me the are just a cool way to slide around at the skate park - as far as "toys" with wheels go old fashioned roller skates are better and roller blades are better than that for a smoother ride and bikes are better than that (you can rent bikes are most Disney Hotels) IMHO that's that way to enjoy wheels at Disney - alas I digress. I am glad Disney has a no heeley policy, there's nothing like good old fashioned walking in WDW! :mickey:

TiggerRPh
05-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I find this interesting....ads running at the bottom of the page when I posted this....ads for Heely's.

:mad::mad:

.................................................. .................................................. ...

thrillme
05-10-2007, 04:27 PM
The kids love them. I'm sorry that a few rude ones have ruined this for so many others. Kids run into you whether they're on heelies or not. I've had dozens run into me and they were just on regular shoes not looking where they were going. All those kids who have tripped over me, bumped into me and cut in front of me not a single one of them had heelies nor did they or their parents care about their actions.

Heelies like anything else take a little time to perfect. The wheels pop out easily when they're not supposed to be worn like on the grass, a really rough area, a house etc.

I'm sure emergency rooms have seen kids in for accidents after "riding a bike", "skating" or even just tripping and falling.

Heelies certianly make some of the long walk between the different places more fun. If I was in better shape and a little more coordinated I'd have them too. The only issue I have is my insane jealousy that I am not coordinated enough to have them myself.

Florida is getting WAY too controlling.

Disnamic Duo
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM

The restrictions are a matter of liability, not a matter of limiting fun. By having a defined policy against them, they minimize the potential for lawsuits. If someone wearing them crashes and burns, or runs over an old lady, or flattens a baby in a stroller... that person can't come back at Disney with "Why Did Disney Allow...", because Disney specifically did NOT allow. The "little angel" wearing them took it upon themselves to ignore the written policy.

They may be fun for the wearer, but for the rest of the crowd, they are an annoyance, and a potential danger, especially on heavily crowded days when just walking can be a challenge.

Right......which is why I said (my first line) "I can see why they're not allowed in the parks". I agree with the "time and a place for everything" sentiment, and in the parks is neither.

The rest of my commentary was basically relating to my feeling that, in general, they're okay for kids (and adults who can fit into them, God bless them) to have fun with them. I was merely expressing my opinion that I don't think they're evil, in general. I think many people hate seeing kids have fun (for some reason??).

mermaidmarian
05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Just thought I would chime in that I saw several examples of kids wearing "heelies" during the course of my most recent trip. I wouldn't have even suspected that they weren't allowed, based upon my experience.

MNNHFLTX
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Heelies certianly make some of the long walk between the different places more fun. If I was in better shape and a little more coordinated I'd have them too. The only issue I have is my insane jealousy that I am not coordinated enough to have them myself.

Florida is getting WAY too controlling.I'm sure the restrictions on heelies at the parks has nothing to do with Florida state law, but Disney's own rules and/or local statutes.

I like kids to have fun (as my 14-year-old can attest). Skating, skateboarding, biking and heelies are fun activities, but not appropriate where there are large crowds of people, IMHO. :)

just2mickey
05-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I couldn't imagine having her wear them all day at the parks! I'm sure they must hurt the front of the leg holding up your toes and not to mention the size of the sole having wheels in there can't be the best thing for your feet to spend the day in walking all over the parks!:confused:

My thoughts exactly. While my daughter loves those things, I find that I cannot tolerate cheap flip-flops with those hard plastic round pegs on the bottoms. My feet kill me after wearing those. I am a NIKE girl and I have literally had to splint my piggy before with a popcicle stick that my DH popped in half and made into a homemade cast with bandaids (now that is a kodak moment if there ever was one). I cannot imagine how it must feel to have that wheel stuck in the middle of the heel of your foot after a day at Disney.

I originally started this thread just to see if I could get one hit on what the rule was but I am proud to announce that my thread has grown into quite the topic. Woo hoo!!! For once, I have a topic of interest.

larandtra
05-10-2007, 11:09 PM
By no means should they be worn at parks. Kids rolling around are dangerous to themselves and everyone else around them.
Now outside of park, while some may not like them or find them dangerous, etc. Not everyone does and I am sure there are certain things we all do as parents that someone else may not agree with. Best to not judge others for what they choose to do.

Marker
05-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I think many people hate seeing kids have fun (for some reason??).

Really???? Why????

princessjojo
05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I dislike these shoes so much. I have been called the meanest mom of all because I won't buy these for both DS. I don't like them or the hazards that they pose to the wearer or others around them. Our school system had banned them, as well many other public places in our area. I just had to explain that even the coolest kids don't have everything and this is the one thing that they won't have. Fortunately, my older son decided that he no longer wanted them because so many others had them now and he wanted something "new cool." Hopefully this trend will end SOON!

Jeff G
05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
My son has a pair of Heelys and loves them(I wish they had these when I was growing up). But as a parent I have restrictions on where he can wear these and that would never include a theme park. I treat these as if they are inline skates or roller blades which is in essence what they are, there is a place and time for them.

I think it's unfair that parents let kids wear these to such places as restraunts, schools and theme parks. I can see how people would end up not liking these if you have kids skating out of control/ cutting people off, especially in crowds. It's like everything, a few bad seeds can ruin things for everyone.

Michigander
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I was in the Parks the first 2 weeks of April and I saw loads of kids wearing these things. I never once seen a CM tell them to stop. Even as I entered the park the kids were wheeling right by the security people and not onec were they told they weren't allowed. Disney should do better at letting parents know as they enter the Parks that NO wheelies shoes are allowed. Several times I saw and had happen to me the kid wheeling right in front and cutting you off as you were trying to get around the park. There's enough things making it hard to navagate the parks without having to watch out for these things too!! It's not the best thing for someone with a back problem to start with to have a kid on wheel's rush right into your path, making you have to side step and dance around them. It's just a bad thing. Disney should put up signs as you enter NO WHEELIE SHOES ALLOWED:thumbsup: !

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
My son has a pair of Heelys and loves them(I wish they had these when I was growing up). But as a parent I have restrictions on where he can wear these and that would never include a theme park. I treat these as if they are inline skates or roller blades which is in essence what they are, there is a place and time for them.

I think it's unfair that parents let kids wear these to such places as restraunts, schools and theme parks. I can see how people would end up not liking these if you have kids skating out of control/ cutting people off, especially in crowds. It's like everything, a few bad seeds can ruin things for everyone.

:thumbsup: ITA with you.

My son's both have Heely's. They were given to them for Xmas gifts from my inlaws. I would have not purchased them myself but, decided to let them keep them with the complete understanding that there is a time and place for them to be worn. For example, in our paved driveway, the skate park, wherever they would ride their skateboard.Which obviously would not be in a theme park, store or restaurant.
Unfortunatley, because of some kids and parents that are not responsible with things like these, all kids kind of get a bad rap if they wear them. Not saying that anyone here has said different but, there are responsible parents and children out there. Trust me. My kids are extremely cautious whenever they are wearing them, riding their bikes, etc. Could an accident happen? Sure. But we hope since they are being carefully watched and taught to be respectful of themselves and others we can avoid that happening.

:twocents:

DisneyGiant
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Right......which is why I said (my first line) "I can see why they're not allowed in the parks". I agree with the "time and a place for everything" sentiment, and in the parks is neither.

The rest of my commentary was basically relating to my feeling that, in general, they're okay for kids (and adults who can fit into them, God bless them) to have fun with them. I was merely expressing my opinion that I don't think they're evil, in general. I think many people hate seeing kids have fun (for some reason??).

I totally "got" your first comment - and now this one. I would have had a ball with them when I was a kid!

Also understand why they are banned from the parks.

But surely they could be used around the resorts? I mean how many times have I almost been run over by those Surrey bikes around the Boardwalk\Beach Club! ;)

thrillme
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I can't see how kids run through "crowds" with them.

My son loves them but wouldn't even dream of using them when it's crowded because he wouldn't want to run into anybody. IF we're in a crowd and he simply MUST "heelie" then he grabs my arm and hugs me close and I end up pulling him along. (I LOVE it). It's like getting a really cuddly hug. SIGH...he's growing up and I don't get those quite so much anymore. :thumbsup:

I know we go to Disney in Mid July. There's lots of open spaces to do a little heelying every now and then.

BrerSchultzy
05-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't see how kids run through "crowds" with them.

My son loves them but wouldn't even dream of using them when it's crowded because he wouldn't want to run into anybody. IF we're in a crowd and he simply MUST "heelie" then he grabs my arm and hugs me close and I end up pulling him along. (I LOVE it). It's like getting a really cuddly hug. SIGH...he's growing up and I don't get those quite so much anymore. :thumbsup:

I know we go to Disney in Mid July. There's lots of open spaces to do a little heelying every now and then.

You make some great points...BUT

PLEEEEEEEASE be careful. If an Orange County Deputy sees your child using Heelies in public (and yes, as a business, ANYWHERE in WDW is considered "public"), you face the possibility of a $250 fine. Is it fair? I don't know. Clearly the lines are blurry on this. Is it still a fact? Yes. I'd hate to see your vacation ruined by a big fat fine.

Remember, whether or not CMs are enforcing this, it is against the LAW. CMs don't enforce the speed limit either. Doesn't mean you won't get a ticket for speeding if you get caught.

Main Street Jim
05-12-2007, 03:01 PM
[CMs will remind you of the law (as WDW is a "public place")

No, WDW is not "public"; the entire property *is*, indeed, private property, owned by a business, whether it's the theme parks, water parks, resorts, or Downtown Disney. All 27,000+ acres are all PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The Heelies are treated just like Rollerblades, skates, or a skateboard; it's a $250 fine in the state of Florida for skating on private property.

I had a lady just yesterday tell me she "called ahead and they said they were OK" after I asked her to remove the wheels from her kids' shoes. Apparently, either she lied to me or the CM she spoke to doesn't *know* the "official policy" on Heelies. It is, in fact, posted right on our Cast-only Web site under "Official Park Policies".

CleveRocks
05-12-2007, 08:30 PM
My wife is a pediatrician. Unfortunately, Heelys indirectly pay for a large portion of our WDW vacations, if you know what I mean.

joelkfla
05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I've seen plenty of them in Epcot the past few weeks, and I've seen kids zig-zagging back & forth when the crowd wasn't moving fast enough to be fun.

lbjjh1
05-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Interesting how everyone on here hates these things. Some of you talk of "clotheslining" children. I have two boys that wear these shoes and we have strict rules on when and where they are to be worn. I think parents should be more responsible for the actions of there children. While we are outlawing things, I think those MAC truck size strollers should go. I have had several bruised shins from these "wheeled" stollers.

joelkfla
05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
While we are outlawing things, I think those MAC truck size strollers should go. I have had several bruised shins from these "wheeled" stollers.
I don't think large strollers should be outlawed, but striking someone with one should be cause for ejection from the park and permanent removal of stroller driving privileges. ;)

Marker
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Interesting how everyone on here hates these things. Some of you talk of "clotheslining" children. I have two boys that wear these shoes and we have strict rules on when and where they are to be worn. I think parents should be more responsible for the actions of there children. While we are outlawing things, I think those MAC truck size strollers should go. I have had several bruised shins from these "wheeled" stollers.

"clotheslining children"??? I don't recall hearing anyone mention anything close to that. Maybe I missed something.

"While we are outlawing things", it's the state of Florida, or should I say the people of the state of Florida that have outlawed them.

You are correct though, some parents SHOULD be more responsible. However, many of the kids wearing them are old enough to be responsible for their choices as well. Laws are laws, and rules are rules. We can't just pick and choose which ones we think should apply to us, we're accountable for them all.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Interesting how everyone on here hates these things.

Not everyone. ;)

PirateLover
05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
What makes Heelys more dangerous than any other kind of skate equipment is that kids think they can wear them anywhere. Just yesterday we were at the mall and I saw a kid Heely across a piece of floor that had just been mopped and was clearly marked, but did he pay attention? Nope. And of course, he fell flat on his butt. I agree that as I child I would've loved a pair because I was an avid skater, but I'm sure my parents would've been strict with them.

For those parents out there, PLEASE don't let your child wear Heely's to the park now that you KNOW it is not allowed. Would you let your child rollerblade or skateboard through the park? I don't care if you and your child are "responsible" about it, it is against policy and sets a bad example.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Would you let your child rollerblade or skateboard through the park? I don't care if you and your child are "responsible" about it, it is against policy and sets a bad example.

I think most of us used the word "responsible" when it came to kids using Heely's and where we let them use them and how they behave while wearing them. Most of us also said we would not allow our children to use them in theme parks, restaurants, etc.

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
There are some smart towns that are making children wear helmets with Heelys just as they would have to with Skates.

I have students all the time who wear them to school. We've made it clear that this is not okay (but our admin. refuses to make a policy). Even with the wheels out, due to their weight, it makes the children walk funny. I wonder how it is affecting their posture and development to walk around in these huge heavy shoes.
Just my 2 cents!
Jen

lbjjh1
05-13-2007, 06:07 PM
imho if you want to skate go to a skating rink. as for the shoes, i haven't heard of fines for them in s. fla (ft. lauderdale area) however they are not allowed in public schools down here and aren't as popular as they used to be in this area seen as a child didn't look both ways before zooming out of his driveway on them and was killed. i can't stand them. everytime someone zooms by me i (being as short as i am) could easily reach out and closeline them and have the urge to do so frequenty.

[QUOTE=Marker;1286453]"clotheslining children"??? I don't recall hearing anyone mention anything close to that. Maybe I missed something.
]

The first quote answers your question

BMan62
05-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Just yesterday I almost got run over three times by the same kid in Sam's Club here - no parents to be found. I have also seen kids around Pop Century on our trip in Feb. just cruising the sidewalks with no notice to anyone else around them.

Like skateboards, roller blades and regular skates, 'Heelys' should be disallowed in public places and that rule should be enforced where it is already in place.

DizneyRox
05-13-2007, 06:36 PM
They are clearly "outlawed' at Disney, I could swear I saw something written on a sign or something.

I do go out of my way to make it difficult for those wearing heelies around me. I've been known to walk right in front of them, stop unexpectedly, etc. While I wouldn't intentionally clothesline one of them, if they ended up over a railing or something, I wouldn't be upset, actually I'm sure they would hear me laughing.

vamaggie
05-13-2007, 06:49 PM
By no means should they be worn at parks. Kids rolling around are dangerous to themselves and everyone else around them.
Now outside of park, while some may not like them or find them dangerous, etc. Not everyone does and I am sure there are certain things we all do as parents that someone else may not agree with. Best to not judge others for what they choose to do.

Put me--proudly--in the camp of "I hate those things!!!!" I don't think they should be allowed anywhere in public that is not a skate park. The idea that kids "need" to have wheels to help get around is absurd!! What kind of lazy generation are we raising that walking is a punishment (especially at WDW!) But my main problem with them is that the kids who are allowed to wear them where ever they want, w/o a helmet, are the ones whose parents don't seem to undestand (or care about) the word responsible. I know many of you have kids who have them and allow them to only wear them where it is safe and appropriate and to you I say YEAH!!! When they are viewed as a "toy" like a skateboard, scooter etc they are appropriate. Unfortunately they are marketed as a sneaker and a mode of transport and that is how people are using them. I HOPE the CMs are enforcing this policy both at the parks and the resorts since I see no good coming of their use!! OK--rant over.

TheMartellFamily
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I see that they are seem to be a fun gadget that is the in thing right now. But I can tell you that in the parks is not the right time or place for that, I also feel they do not belong in restaurants, or stores basically anywhere there are alot of people. The time I got run over and told to watch out at the same time was the time I got turned off from them. You see The person wearing them lost their balance and ran into me. I do not complain alot but these are really a bother. I think the best thing is that I see with them is that the kids do not want to walk while rolling is better but they do not even want to do that and the parents are pulling them along. I just do not understand what a parent is thinking with this one. Sorry for the rant but me and Heelies have a history and it is not a very nice one.

Marker
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
if they ended up over a railing or something, I wouldn't be upset, actually I'm sure they would hear me laughing.

Wow!!! Laughing at the pain and discomfort of others.

I think I've tired of this topic. The world needs more magic.

Bottom line...

1) it is not a matter of being against Disney policy, it's apparently against Florida state law.

2) No matter how "careful" or "responsible" someone is with them, it's against the law. With that in mind, it doesn't really matter if you like them or don't, choosing to wear them and intentionally ignore that law (or whatever Disney policy) is not a "good" choice.

3) It's obviously an extremely difficult thing thing to enforce. People determined to make wrong choices will find a way. People oblivious to the law won't know any better.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
I do go out of my way to make it difficult for those wearing heelies around me. I've been known to walk right in front of them, stop unexpectedly, etc. While I wouldn't intentionally clothesline one of them, if they ended up over a railing or something, I wouldn't be upset, actually I'm sure they would hear me laughing.

Wow...these are children we are talking about for the most part. :(

Are they wrong to be wearing them in theme parks, etc, YES!! Do they deserve to be hurt, NO?!

I'm with Marker, I'm done with this topic too.

Camping Mom
05-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I think those MAC truck size strollers should go. I have had several bruised shins from these "wheeled" stollers.

AMEN!! There are times I want to ask the people pushing those blooming strollers if they have a driver's permit!!!!!!!

iluvdizney2
05-13-2007, 08:43 PM
On thursday of this week at AK, a woman was walking with her husband and a young boy about 10/11 was using the heelies and he tripped this older woman up. Se fell and banged up both knees, she also hurt her wrist. She ended up going to get it xrayed and it was found to be broken.
The worse part of it was as she was telling a bunch of us this story, she said how a cast member spoke to the mother and said he would GIVE the child a pair of crocs free but he needed to remove the heelie shoes. From what we were all told the mom said no and walked off....with out the crocs! the cast member called security about it but the woman said she was told like always not much will be done....:confused:
this is sad. It is not fair that someone gets hurt and no one can do much about it.
At MK parents were dragging their kids with them on, so they were rolling. after hearing what had happened the day before to the older woman, my heart just sank to think of the next injury.
o well....guess Disney has to post the rule and enforce it at the security check point, otherwise this will continue to happen. There are far too many people in one place to let it keep happening. JMHO

larandtra
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
The comments by some of you come off as hateful and intolerant. The reality is, as I previously stated, not everyone parents the same nor enjoys the same things. What you may find dangerous, someone else finds as a neat little gadget. If they are clearly not allowed in the park then they should not be there. If you see someone with them, inform a CM and move on. But, comments like making them fall on purpose, clotheslining, pushing them over a rail is hateful and I would hope you are charged with assault if you did such a thing. Then you would hear me laughing at you as they police rightfully wheel your rear off to jail. That is just sick and your comments come off as immature and dangerous.

PirateLover
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I think most of us used the word "responsible" when it came to kids using Heely's and where we let them use them and how they behave while wearing them. Most of us also said we would not allow our children to use them in theme parks, restaurants, etc.

Yes I agree that for the most part parents of kids with Heelys have said they wouldn't let their kids wear them in the parks, but it seemed to me that some parents were insinuating that their children were responsible enough to wear them anywhere and not get in the way of other people. That is why I added that statement. It is never responsible to let a child go to a crowded place with those things.

larandtra
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I did not see anyone who has no problems with the wheelies insinuating they should be able to wear them anywhere and kids are responsible enough to. It seems that people severely with a dislike for them read a lot into how other people would handle them with their kids. Unlike people saying they would willingly hurt kids wearing them, there were no parents saying they would willfully let their kids run amuck with them on in the parks. HUGE difference. Some people are very intolerant and show some serious behavior issues when they make comments.

Harriet
05-14-2007, 04:57 AM

The restritions might be a matter of policy but Disney is still Lible if they are not enforcing the policy which from what I am ready they are not. So Disney wake up and start enforcing your own policy you can still be sued.

Carol
05-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Policy is policy. It's quite simple.

Since this has been asked and answered and not debatable I'm closing the thread.