PDA

View Full Version : Wild Fires, Smoke and WDW [Merged Threads]

Jeff T
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Based on various news stories and live webcams of Central Florida, smoke from the numerous wild fires is causing great concern.

Have the WDW theme parks been affected by the smoke?

During our visit to WDW last summer wild fires along US-192 caused smoke to fill the air at the Animal Kingdom, MGM and EPCOT. The smoke lasted a few days and made for an unpleasant day in the parks.

Strmchsr
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Though not quite as overwhelming as in some years, yes, the wild fires are currently presenting a bit of an air quality problem even at WDW.

Sharon1026
05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I live down here. It was hazy yesterday, it's much better today. There is a storm coming in off of Georgia, it should help.

It's not really affecting things that much, as far as I can tell.

wdfnorth
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
The last time I was down to WDW 9 years ago the wild fires were so bad that they cancled all the fireworks. Seeing the weather forcast of Smoke today brought back bad memories. How dry is it in Florida, is there a risk of this happening again while I am down there next week?

ps. First time poster - great discussion board - learned a lot.

KAJUNKING
05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
The last time I was down to WDW 9 years ago the wild fires were so bad that they cancled all the fireworks. Seeing the weather forcast of Smoke today brought back bad memories. How dry is it in Florida, is there a risk of this happening again while I am down there next week?

:welcome: to INTERCOT :mickey:

Strmchsr
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Seeing the weather forcast of Smoke today brought back bad memories. How dry is it in Florida, is there a risk of this happening again while I am down there next week?

:welcome: to Intercot!!!

It is extremely dry in FL (they've had below average rain for almost 18 straight months now), but right now I don't think the smoke will be bad enough to cancel any events. There's enough possibilities of afternoon thunderstorms over the next week that it may help the firefighters get these things under control. At least for a little while.

CU Tiger
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
We were at DW last week and the smoke is defiantly affecting the air quality. The smell is strong and it seems like the fire should be just outside the gates. Some days are better than others. It depends which way the wind is blowing. :mickey:

kadesha
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I have several friends in Orlando who say that the smoke is definetly in the air! I'm so worried about being there next week. I *think* florida is going to be getting some rain from the tropical storm, so hopefully that will help things out!

kadesha
05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
That can enlighten me about the "smoke situation" in the disney area? I know there was recently a thread about this, but I'm getting very concerned.

mermaidmarian
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I just returned last night. The last 3 days of our trip (Mon-Wed), there was smoke in the air. It was most noticeable in the mornings and seemed to dissipate in the afternoons, possibly due to wind shift. I didn't find it so much of a problem, although my mother who was along with, felt it was burning her eyes.

They are due for rain today and tomorrow - hopefully that will reduce the fire risk somewhat.

kadesha
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you! I'm really concerned because smoke always burns my eyes! I'd hate to have to stay in our room the whole time!! Hopefully the rain will help!

Also, does anyone know if there are any major road closures in south georgia or florida?

Figgyluv03
05-10-2007, 12:40 PM

I remember that from about 15 years ago too. There were really bad fires everywhere. We even got detoured off of 95. There was a huge drought and we didnt' get to see any fireworks. And of course it was 4th of July weekend, so of course that's all I wanted to see!

BTW, welcome to intercot!

bleukarma
05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
When I posted about the fires in the Misc thread I made sure to point out that one of the big fires down around Sarasota that shut down some of I75 was caused by a passing motorest that threw their cigarette out the window. I am urging all smokers to think twice before they do this! I smoked for a brief period of time and I know how easy it can be but with all the dry grass around this time of the year it's not a good idea!

I too have been to WDW in a smoke-filled haze a couple of years ago. I remember walking out of my hotel room at All Stars and seeing burned leaves on the sidewalk from the wind carrying them over. Unfortunately around this time of the year when the weather is dry wild fires are common, especially in central FL.

bleukarma
05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
The smoke is REALLY bad today! I’m sitting at my desk and it’s burning my eyes and some of my co-workers are coughing. I live/work about 45 minutes west of WDW and I walked outside (which wasn’t a good idea) and I noticed that the wind is blowing east. I don’t know if that matters or not though because I think they said the smoke is coming from the big fire in north Florida/south GA. The big storm that is on the east coast is pushing the smoke down.

If you are going to be at WDW in the next few days try to pace yourself with inside attractions. Luckily most of WDW is inside. If you start to feel light-headed grab a seat indoors or go back to the hotel and lay down. You may want to think twice about swimming at the pool with the smoke this bad. Drink lots of water (which you should anyway!). Everybody at my office is complaining about headaches, so don’t forget to pack your aspirin!

kadesha
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
The smoke is REALLY bad today! I’m sitting at my desk and it’s burning my eyes and some of my co-workers are coughing. I live/work about 45 minutes west of WDW and I walked outside (which wasn’t a good idea) and I noticed that the wind is blowing east. I don’t know if that matters or not though because I think they said the smoke is coming from the big fire in north Florida/south GA. The big storm that is on the east coast is pushing the smoke down.

If you are going to be at WDW in the next few days try to pace yourself with inside attractions. Luckily most of WDW is inside. If you start to feel light-headed grab a seat indoors or go back to the hotel and lay down. You may want to think twice about swimming at the pool with the smoke this bad. Drink lots of water (which you should anyway!). Everybody at my office is complaining about headaches, so don’t forget to pack your aspirin!

This is very alarming to me. We are supposed to leave next Friday and we have 2 small children. Is this something worth cancelling a trip over?

bleukarma
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I hope by next Friday it will be better! I can’t imagine living like this for another week!!
I just walked outside and it’s better then it was a few hours ago. It’s still hazy out there but the smoke isn’t burning my eyes anymore. But that just means the wind carried it somewhere. Maybe someone that lives closer to WDW can mention how it is up there.

I think the weather forecasters have mentioned that we will get rain within the next week which should help. I think you’ll be fine, I don’t think it would be something I would cancel a vacation for. However if I was planning a trip to WDW tomorrow with my aunt who had respiratory problems I would think twice. But a week from now…I hope *crosses fingers* it will be all clear by then! Pray for rain!!!

dumbo ears
05-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I think there have been a few smoky days in WDW lately. in my town right now there is smoke from a wildfire in a county above us.

hope23
05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Regarding smoke... I was there Wed-Fri and hardly noticed the smoke or smell at all. There was minor haze in the distance, but not too noticable. Probably depends on the day...

mrsgaribaldi
05-13-2007, 02:57 AM
We left Orlando on WEd. When we went outside at PoP you could see the smoke and smell it alot. I saw others post they didn't have any problems in the parks.

murphy1
05-13-2007, 07:32 PM
My family is in St. Pete, mom works for Publix and said you could see the smokiness in the store! I have never seen anything like this. My sister has respiratory issues and it's bothering her. We leave in a couple weeks to go down for an extended stay, I hope it rains soon, we need it here in GA too, it's just so hot and awful right now!

cperry92380
05-14-2007, 10:59 AM
MSNBC says that about 75 miles of I-10 in north Florida and 75 in south Florida are expected to open only intermittently on Monday...
Just a heads up for folks on the road...

bleukarma
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
We got some rain yesterday! (And some hail too, which I’ve never seen in FL). The weatherman said this morning that the rain has helped push the smoke out of the area but the problem still isn’t over in north FL. But for now WDW should be ok with the smoke in the air. Hopefully the wind won’t change again and push it back over this way.

kadesha
05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
That drive through south GA and north FL is scaring me! I saw some pictures on the news this morning and it's like nothing i've ever seen. I hope we are able to go Friday. Does anyone know how much money you get back if you cancel the day before? I purchased vacation insurance.

Red Randal
05-14-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's bad enough to cancel over, kadesha. Where in Georgia are you coming from? If you are far enough east then you can take I-95 south to I-4 to get to WDW. From the west you can take U.S. Route 27 (Alt) to I-75 near Ocala. 27 is a four lane road with a speed limit of 65 MPH, so it's not like you'll be spending 10 hours driving through towns or anything. Either route will likely put you 2-3 hours out of your way but it's worth it, this is a DISNEY trip we're talking about. :mickey:

Call your travel agent or go to AAA (if you're a member) for more information on alternate routes (or feel free to PM me.)

battle beast
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope the fires don't cause too much problems and I hope everyone is ok!

Sharon1026
05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
OK People, calm down.

The smoke was unpleasant in St. Pete last week - the winds were blowing the smoke from Georgia down the gulf coast of Florida. Disney is over an hour away from Gulf coast - you can't apply what is happening there to Disney weather!

We stayed at Disney all weekend at OKW. No problems whatsoever with smoke. I didn't see anyone complaining about smoke. I didn't smell smoke, see haze or anything of that nature, so no need to start cancelling trips or get your shorts in a knot over your vacation - it's all fine!
It's really much ado about nothing (in the Disney are). Enjoy your trip.
:stitch2:

bleukarma
05-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I wouldn’t cancel a trip since it seems like WDW is in the clear (no pun intended). But if driving through N. FL and S. GA worries you then I would look at alternate routes. I would rather drive a few hours out of my way then cancel the entire vacation!

On Saturday I drove to Cocoa Beach down I4, across the Beeline (which is just east of WDW) to I95. The only smoke I saw was on I4 just west of WDW…in between were I live (I actually live a little east of Tampa in the Brandon/Seffner area) and WDW. It wasn’t bad enough for me to consider getting off I4 and you wouldn’t come that far west anyway. I say read the weather reports online, check with AAA about what roads to avoid (they would probably know) and plan to come have fun!

Also, it’s pouring the rain again. Yay! Remember…if it rains on your vacation don’t be too bummed, it’s keeping the smoke away!

Toodle
05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
We live on St. Pete Beach - Friday, May 11th the smoke was so bad that you could not even go outside. We left for Disney World about 2:00 - about 40 miles out of St. Pete, the smoke cleared. We had a beautiful weekend at Disney - clear skies and warm but not overly hot.
Have a fun trip!

kadesha
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys! Don't think we'll be cancelling unless something drastic happens in the next few days. We are, however, considering an alternate route. We probably won't decide which way we will go until Friday, as things are changing daily. Please keep up the reports. We will be getting into south georgia around 3 am Saturday morning.

Lynn J Mc
05-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I spoke to a CM at the Contemporary today and she said they are not having any problem with the smoke from the wildfires. Hope is stays that way!

kadesha
05-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Well, I guess this really isn't a big issue for me anymore, because I woke up this morning and the smoke has traveled here! I'm in North Gerogia, I can't beileve it's came that far!! Guess I better get used to it huh?

Leaving in 2 days now!!!!!!!!!!!

huzzah4
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Are there any new updates on the smoke situation? We live in the upper part of South Carolina and visibility is cuurently down to about 2-2.5 miles, with a definite smoke smell in the air. According to our forestry commission, there are no fires in the area, and this smoke is coming from the GA/FL fires. It is still 2 weeks away, but I am starting to get a little nervous about conditions for our honeymoon.

kadesha
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm leaving Friday, so I'm really nervous! Everyone assures me that it's fine down there though.

I'm in northeast GA. We awoke to the smoke this morning. It's 5:00 now and the smoke smell and haze is completely gone. The news said it was blowing it all over to you guys in SC. I think it'll be gone for you guys soon too.

Bear Lee
05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I live about 50 mins south of Disney. The air has been smoke-free here for about 2 days. Last week it was really bad. I would say visability was about 50-75 feet, at times.

McGoofy
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
When we were there last week, a few mornings were really smoky, but it was almost like fog because it was gone by late morning. We took a family picture after we entered Animal Kingdom and the Tree of Life cannot clearly be seen in it because of the white haze of smoke that was in the air. We rode Expedition Everest that morning, and as we looked out at the top, we could hardly see anything like you usually can. However, by noon, the smoke was gone, and the sky was sunny and clear.

Cindabella's Mom
05-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Hey Kadesha - North Georgian here also leaving on Friday for WDW. We had planned on stopping in Valdosta Friday night, but now I'm starting to rethink it, maybe going down to Macon, 16 to Savannah, and then down 95. Or possibly 27 all the way down to Ocala.

kadesha
05-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Cindabella's Mom. I wouldn't plan on staying in Valdosta if I were you! We are avoiding 75 altogether! We are going to do as you mentioned, go to Savannah then down from there. If you watch The Weather Channel, they do really good updates about it.

figgie
05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
We are driving down to florida after a visit with friends in N.C. Is I-95 clear of smoke and open through to I-4?

bleukarma
05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm actually wondering about I-95 myself because I'm leaving on my trip to Mrytle Beach tomorrow morning.

As far as smoke around WDW, everything seems to be in the clear!

MissStyles
05-17-2007, 07:48 PM
No worries! As of today, 95 from the Jacksonville area all the way down to 4 is completely open. I drove the route last weekend from here to Sarasota and back and it wasn't bad near WDW at all. I would definitely take 95 to 4 and avoid 75 altogether. Happy traveling and happy vacation! :mickey:

figgie
05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Here's to clear traveling in the morning...

bleukarma
05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info!! Everybody have a safe and smoke-free trip!! :mickey:

kadesha
05-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks everyone! Leaving tomorrow night!! I appreciate all the info. :mickey:

paragon
05-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I just got back last night, we were there from Saturday 5/12 until Saturday 5/19 230 pm. We were in all of the parks, spending most of the time though in Magic kingdom. There was a smell of smoke in the air most days, on Friday, Adventureland smelled like a campground. Overall it wasn't bad at all though.

Efrank
05-20-2007, 01:34 PM
We just got back last night and I didn't notice anything obvious except for some haziness. This was my first time, so maybe it was bad, and I didn't know any better ;)

DNS
05-20-2007, 01:41 PM
We left for WDW on 5/6 and on 5/7 had some trouble driving through south GA and north FL as far as smell. The air was very smoking, but no problem seeing, just breathing. Then when we got to WDW afternoon of 5/7 it was really bad. That was the only day the smell was really horrible though. We left on 6/16 and had to take I-95 coming back because I-75 was closed around I-10. Only the first day did it really bother us much.

Red Randal
05-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Just got back. I didn't notice it at all on Friday or Saturday in the MK or Epcot. It was hazy but I think that's because it was hazy not because there was excessive smoke.