PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon South Rim

Dreamer7080
05-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I turn 21 in 19 days (!!:marg: !!) and my boyfriend and I are in the middle of planning a trip to Las Vegas in December to celebrate our 21st birthdays. We are taking a day and driving to Hoover Dam and the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I have been several times before, he has never been. Does anyone have any must sees or any tips for visiting the canyon in December? I’m so excited, I’m counting down the days! :muscles:

Thanks! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I think the South Rim of the Grand Canyon would be very nice in December. I hear the number of tourists are much smaller in the winter than during the busy summer months. It will still probably be a bit chilly, so you might want to bring a jacket and/or sweatshirt to keep warm.

My other suggestion is logistical. The trip to the South Rim is about 4-1/2 to 5 hours (one way) from Las Vegas. If you want to squeeze in the Hoover Dam (which is very interesting, BTW), I would suggest making it a two-day trip and staying one night near the rim. That way you won't be rushed and you will get to see a beautiful a sunrise and sunset over the Canyon. :)

CPT Trips
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
There may well be snow, and potentially lots of it. The south rim is at 7,000 feet.
They sometimes close the Interstate for snow as the passes are even higher. Be sure to check the weather forecasts before you go over!